Mueller files charges in Russia investigation - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Mueller files charges in Russia investigation

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
But in all fairness, how the fuck do you get the cheese to melt on THE BUN? Cheese goes ON THE PATTY.

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
But in all fairness, how the fuck do you get the cheese to melt on THE BUN? Cheese goes ON THE PATTY.

Dead Like Me - Patty Melt - YouTube
Looks like someone messed up the codes to alter emojis that were just added. They are responsible for things like direction and hair/skin color.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #28 (permalink)

Yay, Dead Like Me. That's my favorite TV show ever.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Yay, Dead Like Me. That's my favorite TV show ever.
Mrs. Quandry printed and framed a copy of that speech to hang in my office.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Rabblerouser

*SLU Supporter*

edible

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February, 2007

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
No matter what happens, or doesn't happen, this made my day!

https://twitter.com/AgentHades/statu...12609409875969
I'm surprised this only has 28k likes it should be like 2800000000000000
shy poster is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #31 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Heh. When people theorised that Mueller would go after the low-hanging fruit first, they weren't kidding. = Check this out, from page 9 of Papdopoulos' indictment:

Quote:
a. For example, on or about June 19, 2016, after several email and Skype exchanges with the Russian MFA Connection, defendant PAPADOPOULOS emailed the High-Ranking Campaign Official, with the subject line "New message from Russia": "The Russian ministry of foreign affairs messaged and said that if Mr. Trump is unable to make it to Russia, if a campaign rep (me or someone else) can make it for meetings? I am willing to make the trip off the record if it's in the interest of Mr. Trump and the campaign to meet specific people."
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Apparently, the Faux News spin doctors have agreed on the narrative: "Mueller Gets His Man: Paul Manafort, Top Aide, Charged With Money Laundering, Other Counts In Russia Collusion Probe"

Look forward to more of the same, trying to declare the investigation basically done with, and whew, see, nothing to do with Trump.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #33 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

In a sense it's a shame that Manafort's indictment has nothing to do with Trump, because it allows that narrative to be developed.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*whrr* *beep* DEAL WITH IT

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Just want to say that the Manafort/Gates news is big. Bigger than big, maybe. But the real news is the Papadopolous guilty plea.

Former Trump Adviser Pleads Guilty To Lying To FBI About Russia Contacts – Talking Points Memo
Quote:
Former Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos pleaded guilty earlier this month to making false statements to FBI agents about his contacts with Russian nationals that continued late into the summer before the 2016 election. The case was unsealed Monday.

Papadopoulos acknowledged in a statement of offense that he lied about those communications during a January 2017 interview with FBI agents, and that he subsequently “impeded the FBI’s ongoing investigation” into potential collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

According to the statement, Papadopoulos was in regular contact with three individuals he believed to have high-level ties with the Kremlin from the time he came onboard as a foreign policy adviser to the Trump campaign in March 2016 through at least August of that year, and he regularly informed other members of the Trump campaign about those communications.

He was arrested on July 27 upon landing at Dulles International Airport and has since “met with the Government on numerous occasion to provide information and answer questions,” according to the statement.
He was arrested back in July. He pleaded guilty to the charges against him earlier this month. But you didn't hear about it until now, and a little after the announcement on Manafort and Gates.

Keep an eye on that ball's bounce.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
In a sense it's a shame that Manafort's indictment has nothing to do with Trump, because it allows that narrative to be developed.
That narrative is being pushed by Trump's camp. Just wait a while, and see how the story actually goes.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/co...eorge/dp3qyyc/

Quote:
Having trouble with chronic Trumpism and Russian collusion? Ask your doctor if Muellera may be right for you. Muellera is the only Congressionally-approved special investigator that has been shown to bring justice to Trumpism. Do not take Muellera if you suffer from Foxnewsia or Breitbartia as this may cause cognitive dissonance or spontaneous combustion. Side effects of Muellera may include optimism for democracy, genuine patriotism, and "Justice Boner". Call your representative or Senator if Muellera causes you to experience a justice boner for more than 4 hours as this may be a sign that you actually give a shit about the democratic institutions and laws of the United States. Be aware that you or those around you may experience a strong reaction to Muellera, as it has been shown to increase the effects of Republican guilt, shame, and paranoia. Ask your Deputy Attorney General about a free trial of Muellera, and remember... it's never too late to "Make America Great Again."
Old 10-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
That narrative is being pushed by Trump's camp. Just wait a while, and see how the story actually goes.
Interesting thread here about how Mueller seems to have played the Trump spin on Manafort's arrest by letting the story develop and then unsealing the Papadopoulos indictment and plea, in which we seem to have Papadopoulos not only confessing to collusion but also providing an electronic paper trail from him to other Republican campaign members.

Thus, after the pro-Trump spinners have had their say about "no evidence of collusion and no evidence of connections to our campaign even if there were any," Mueller says, "Oh, I almost forgot... " and presents them with clear evidence, in the form of Papadopoulos' confession, of both.

Twitter
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Seth Abramson weighs in with context - as ever, a highly worthwhile thread.

Twitter
Old 10-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #39 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Can't take back what you said now, Little Sean!

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/766819052656340993
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #40 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
Plus they want it both ways, as usual. What Manafort did "years ago" is irrelevant, but what Podesta (read Hillary) supposedly did deserves jail time?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #41 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana View Post
Plus they want it both ways, as usual. What Manafort did "years ago" is irrelevant, but what Podesta (read Hillary) supposedly did deserves jail time?
Irrelevancy is in regards to how the charges against Manafort and Gates connect to Trump. Note how the immediate vocalization from the President and his stooges this morning was "THERE WAS NO COLLUSION." I doubt very much Trump will have a problem seeing Manafort end up rotting in a prison cell, so long as it keeps him away from one. He demands loyalty, but very rarely gives it.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Popehat, himself a former federal prosecutor, looks at the day's events:

https://www.popehat.com/2017/10/30/l...es-indictment/

https://www.popehat.com/2017/10/30/l...s-guilty-plea/

Both articles raise the question I've often wondered about, "why does nobody shut up when questioned?"

Pro-tip -- Never, ever, talk to law enforcement without a lawyer present, and if your lawyer advises you not to answer, then don't, at least not until you've had time to consider your position. If you are tempted to try to lie your way out of trouble, don't. An immediate confession is almost always a mitigating factor when it comes to sentencing, but if you don't want to go down that route, then don't start inventing stuff. It's too dangerous and almost always makes a bad situation worse.

An old friend of mine, who retired some time ago as a very senior detective having worked his way up from being a beat copper, once told me he loved questioning white-collar criminals "because they're all so effing arrogant and know they're far smarter than a simple copper like me, which makes my job so much easier."
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 10-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #43 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
I love love love that these charges can and are being spun as " See nothing against Trump and no collusion". It will make further charges all the sweeter hearing all the sound bytes replayed.

I figure a combination of three things will happen now; a false sense of security by some players and Trump supporters which will lead to them letting their guard down and will be stung all the harder when more comes out later, at least a few panicked phone calls, texts and emails that will drop new evidence like rats drop poop when they scatter, and at least one person have an oh shit moment and jump on a plea.

"Words mean things" ~ Bronxelf
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it only reached the end of the bar." ~ Edward R. Murrow
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #44 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Old 10-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #45 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
To nobody's great surprise, they've both plead "not guilty":

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/u...-indicted.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, was indicted Monday on charges that he funneled millions of dollars through overseas shell companies and used the money to buy luxury cars, real estate, antiques and expensive suits.

The charges against Mr. Manafort and his longtime associate Rick Gates represent a significant escalation in a special counsel investigation that has cast a shadow over Mr. Trump’s first year in office.

The two men appeared in the Federal District Court in Washington on Monday afternoon and pleaded not guilty to all charges.
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #46 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
[image]https://media.giphy.com/media/PFwKHjOcIoVUc/giphy.gif[/image]

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 10-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #47 (permalink)

as far as the Mueller investigations will touch Mr Trump, I think that regardless of what may be shown, then at most he may be named as a unindicted co-conspirator. Meaning that while there may be evidence to warrant charges, his presidential authorities precludes them being laid

if he was named as such, and the evidence was substantial, then he probably face impeachment proceedings, even by this Republican-led congress even tho its all lose-lose for them

if he is not named then he will go into the next election campaign with a pretty big advantage, propaganda-wise
irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Papadopolous sitting in on Trump's national security meeting:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDo-7SimhUn/

I am betting some glassware is being broken in the Oval Office today.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #49 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Where Is Bob Mueller Headed Next?

Quote:
Manafort is a distraction. He is potential evidence of collusion, and the bright, shiny object everyone will be chasing in the short term. The real story here is Papadopoulos. He is the key. He is going to take down multiple campaign officials and advisers.
- Peter Zeidenberg, partner at Arent Fox who served as assistant special counsel in the prosecution of I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #50 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
Papadopolous sitting in on Trump's national security meeting:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDo-7SimhUn/
Recognize the dude on the left of the picture?

Sessions was Papadopolous' boss on the Natl Security Advisory team.