Mueller files charges in Russia investigation - Page 15 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Mueller files charges in Russia investigation

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #351 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Traditionally, the FBI has been a group of Republican boy scouts. Not right-wing, and yeah, some Democrats, but boy scouts through and through.

Which is why no one has bothered them that much, even Democrats, until now.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #352 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Old 02-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #353 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
The Indictments Seem to be Accelerating...

London-based son-in-law of Russian businessman to plead guilty

Quote:
The London-based son-in-law of one of Russiaís wealthiest men is set to plead guilty Tuesday afternoon in Washington to making false statements in special counsel Robert S. Mueller IIIís probe of alleged Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, according to a new court filing. . . . U.S. prosecutors in Muellerís office said the case was related to former Trump 2016 presidential campaign manager Paul Manafort, . . .
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #354 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
You mean, other than his own comments?
I think that SHOULD settle the matter, but I'm worried they could convince a court that his comments only reflect how impulsive he is.

We agree he should get obstruction charges, but I have a bad feeling that the courts won't do the right thing.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #355 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Problem is the only real "court" that matters will be the House of Representatives. Even Nixon was never indicted in a criminal court: he was named as an "un-indicted co-conspirator" in the trials of the Watergate conspirators. If Ford had not pardoned him, it is not clear if Nixon would have been tried, but a sitting President can not be indicted, they have to be impeached by the House and removed from office by a 2/3rds vote of the Senate first.

eta: I should say it is not clear if a sitting President can be indicted. So far it has not happened.

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.

Last edited by Veritable Quandry; 02-20-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #356 (permalink)
SLERPee

strange but not a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
I don't think it's a settled case that a sitting president can't be indicted.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #357 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
You are absolutely correct. It has not been tested. Harding had the good sense to die before he was personally connected to the corruption in his administration. The prosecutors in the Watergate case took a cautious approach and once the White House tapes were released Congress was fully on board with impeachment. Ford's pardon took criminal charges off the table.

With Congress seemingly working to protect the President, Muller could make this the test case. Legal scholars are divided as the wording of the Constitution is not entirely clear on this point.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #358 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

I'm sure, if the crime is egregious enough, a sitting president can be indicted without going through the formal impeachment and removal proceedings. If they're necessary, they could be done after-the-fact.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #359 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

A federal grand jury has indicted Manafort and Gates on dozens of new tax evasion and bank fraud charges, these in addition to the ones they were already facing of course.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Awww:
3 Users Said Yay!:
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #360 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
And now Gates is set to plead guilty and cooperate

Gates worked for Manafort, both before and during the campaign. So even if Manafort continues to fight the court case, his assistant has turned, and was involved in most everything they did.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #361 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Brought to justice by technical ineptitude and adobe.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...d-prosecutors/

Twitter
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #362 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
And now Gates is set to plead guilty and cooperate

Gates worked for Manafort, both before and during the campaign. So even if Manafort continues to fight the court case, his assistant has turned, and was involved in most everything they did.
Depends on what the evidence is like, of course, but once in a complex fraud case I saw the line of defence "My then finance director, who is now the main prosecution witness, did it and he's now trying to put the blame on me to save his own skin" leave the jury sufficiently confused that the defendant, the CEO, was acquitted on almost all charges.

Obviously I don't know what the jury thought but, had I been on the jury, I would probably have ended up thinking "I'm pretty sure it was the CEO but I'm not so sure it wasn't the finance director that I'm prepared to convict the CEO."
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #363 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Gates pleaded guilty earlier this afternoon, and still another indictment against Manafort has just rolled out this evening.

Quote:
Washington (CNN)New charges were filed late Friday against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort in the special counsel investigation.

Prosecutors allege that Manafort, with the assistance of longtime business partner Rick Gates, "secretly retained a group of former senior European politicians to take positions favorable to Ukraine, including by lobbying in the United States."

The new indictment came less than two hours after Gates pleaded guilty to two criminal charges in federal court and pledged to cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of Russia and the 2016 presidential election.

Prosecutors say Manafort orchestrated a group of former European politicians, called the "Hapsburg group," to pose as independent voices. Yet they covertly pushed positions favorable to Ukraine as paid lobbyists. Manafort used offshore accounts to pay the former politicians 2 million euros.

Manafort also allegedly used $4 million from an offshore account to fund a report on the trial of a political opponent jailed by his clients. A lawyer involved in the report -- Alex van der Zwaan -- pleaded guilty to lying to investigators earlier this week.

The new charges, which sweep up some information Gates has conceded to investigators and other information in charges filed Thursday in Virginia federal court, include money laundering, foreign lobbying violations and making false statements.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 02-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #364 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
"Hapsburg group"... really?

Did they also practice moustache-twirling and laughing manically?

Why not just call yourself Spectre or Injustice League?

That group seems to include a former chancellor from Europe. Considering that this isn't a very common job title, I know exactly who it is.
ďWhen life gives you lemons, donít make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I donít want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see lifeís manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? Iím the man whoís gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! Iím gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!Ē -- C. Johnson

Last edited by detrius; 02-23-2018 at 07:20 PM.
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #365 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Manafort has spent decades working with Russian oligarchs, so he's obviously a risk-taker with nerves of steel. You don't swim in those waters if you're faint of heart.

My take on the situation is that Manafort knows the worst Mueller can do is send Manafort to prison. This falls short of what the Russians could do to Manafort if he squeals. When your criminal employers will happily throw you out a 5-story window or poison you, and possibly take out a few family members to send an unequivocal message, then law enforcement doesn't have much leverage.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #366 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Manafort has spent decades working with Russian oligarchs, so he's obviously a risk-taker with nerves of steel.
Nerves of steel, maybe. But his tech skills? ...

Manafort Left an Incriminating Paper Trail Because He Couldnít Figure Out How to Convert PDFs to Word Files
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #367 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
My take on the situation is that Manafort knows the worst Mueller can do is send Manafort to prison. This falls short of what the Russians could do to Manafort if he squeals. When your criminal employers will happily throw you out a 5-story window or poison you, and possibly take out a few family members to send an unequivocal message, then law enforcement doesn't have much leverage.
When you're affiliated with the Habsburgs, defenestration is the way to go.
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 02-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #368 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post
When you're affiliated with the Habsburgs, defenestration is the way to go.

Okay, this sounds like an idiom, and I'm very curious. What does it mean.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #369 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
Okay, this sounds like an idiom, and I'm very curious. What does it mean.
"Defenestration" means to cause great bodily harm by throwing someone out the window. The Habsburg connection has to do with a dispute between the (Catholic) Habsburg representatives and the (Protestant) Bohemian local government. This led to the outbreak of the 30 Years War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

Last edited by Veritable Quandry; 02-27-2018 at 07:57 AM.
3 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Agreed:
Old 02-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #370 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline trudeau View Post
I don't think it's a settled case that a sitting president can't be indicted.
I will go out on a limb that donnie thinks it is settled that he can not be. It is far from settled and when a president has done something of that level they may legally get off but the public hardly went 'all right, fine'.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:00 AM   #371 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
You have to love it when criminals have not realized after all these decades that computer forensics is a thing.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #372 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...-back-channel/

Quote:
Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III has gathered evidence that a secret meeting in Seychelles just before the inauguration of Donald Trump was an effort to establish a back channel between the incoming administration and the Kremlin — apparently contradicting statements made to lawmakers by one of its participants, according to people familiar with the matter.

In January 2017, Erik Prince, the founder of the private security company Blackwater, met with a Russian official close to Russian President Vladi≠mir Putin and later described the meeting to congressional investigators as a chance encounter that was not a planned discussion of U.S.-Russia relations.
As an aside, Erik Prince is the brother of Betsy DeVos.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-14-2018, 02:03 AM   #373 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
If I'm up for linking to Politico, you know the news must be good.

Manafort could face ‘rest of life in prison,’ judge says
Quote:
U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III, who is based in Alexandria, Virginia, and is assigned to a newly filed indictment against Manafort dealing with bank fraud and tax evasion, said the veteran lobbyist and political consultant posed “a substantial risk of flight” because of his assets and the gravity of his legal predicament.

“The defendant is a person of great wealth who has the financial means and international connections to flee and remain at large, as well as every incentive to do so,” Ellis wrote in an order setting the terms of what the judge called “home incarceration” for Manafort, 68, who lives in Alexandria but also has homes in Florida and on Long Island.

“Given the nature of the charges against the defendant and the apparent weight of the evidence against him, defendant faces the very real possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison,” wrote Ellis, an appointee of President Ronald Reagan.

That 'appointee of Reagan' bit causes the glee to sting my eyes.
Free Xue is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #374 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

The net tightens!
Quote:
WASHINGTON ó The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, has subpoenaed the Trump Organization to turn over documents, including some related to Russia, according to two people briefed on the matter. It is the first known instance of the special counsel demanding documents directly related to President Trumpís businesses, bringing the investigation closer to the president.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/u...er-russia.html

Lock Him Up! MAGA -- Mueller Ain't Going Away!
2 Users Said Yay!:
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #375 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Not normally good news when the lawyer sacks his client...

Quote:
WASHINGTON ó The presidentís lead lawyer for the special counsel investigation, John Dowd, resigned on Thursday, according to two people briefed on the matter, days after the president called for an end to the inquiry.

Mr. Dowd, who took over the presidentís legal team last summer, had considered leaving several times in recent months and ultimately concluded that Mr. Trump was increasingly ignoring his advice, one of the people said. Under Mr. Dowdís leadership, Mr. Trumpís lawyers had advised him to cooperate with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, who is investigating Russiaís election interference and possible ties to Trump associates as well as whether the president obstructed the inquiry.

The president has instead in recent days begun publicly assailing Mr. Mueller, a shift in tone that appears to be born of the presidentís concern that the investigation is bearing down on him more directly. He has also privately insisted he should sit for an interview with the special counselís office, even though Mr. Dowd believed it was a bad idea.

Mr. Dowdís departure marks the most prominent shake-up for the presidentís legal team since he took over from the presidentís longtime personal lawyer, Marc E. Kasowitz.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/u...T.nav=top-news
2 Users Said Yay!: