What's the deal with this Weinstein kerfuffle? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » What's the deal with this Weinstein kerfuffle?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
What's the deal with this Weinstein kerfuffle?

I know the facts of the news about Weinstein, but I'm missing some piece of what is going on and why.

All of Hollywood operates in this way. It's a dirty, scummy racket where directors, producers, talent agents, whoever has a sliver or more of power uses it to extort sex from desperate wannabe actors and some not-so-wannabe but still desperate actors before they reach the relative safety of stardom.

Why is Weinstein being singled out? I'm all for kicking his ass out of anywhere for his behavior, but I'm curious why him? This behavior is pervasive in the industry and yet he's the only one in the limelight right now.

What did I miss?
Old 10-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
I know the facts of the news about Weinstein, but I'm missing some piece of what is going on and why.

All of Hollywood operates in this way. It's a dirty, scummy racket where directors, producers, talent agents, whoever has a sliver or more of power uses it to extort sex from desperate wannabe actors and some not-so-wannabe but still desperate actors before they reach the relative safety of stardom.

Why is Weinstein being singled out? I'm all for kicking his ass out of anywhere for his behavior, but I'm curious why him? This behavior is pervasive in the industry and yet he's the only one in the limelight right now.

What did I miss?
I'm not terribly well-up on the story but I think the point is that the New York Times were able to document a whole series of complaints about him, and get the complainants to go on the record. Quite why the NYT decided to go after him rather than any other producer or director, and why they went after him at this particular time, I don't know.

But I think the short answer to the question is that the NYT were able to substantiate the allegations to the extent their lawyers thought it safe to publish them.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dead Guy

Expert Witless

My Mood:
Also? The right is salivating at the chance to say that someone on the left is just as bad as their guy, so what are you going to do about it, you hypocrites on the left.

Basically, schadenfreude on the right.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Asher Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bertrand View Post
Also? The right is salivating at the chance to say that someone on the left is just as bad as their guy, so what are you going to do about it, you hypocrites on the left.

Yeah, I wondered if that was part of it. It just seemed so random otherwise.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
In the Hollywood nebula, Weinstein is about as Big A Deal as there is. He's Mr. Independent Film with a long and amazing list of profitable and/or important films on his resume, stretching back through Sex, Lies and Videotape, Pulp Fiction and all the rest (I think...) of Quentin Tarantino's movies, Good Will Hunting, The Crying Game, The English Patient, all the Kevin Smith comedies, Shakespeare in Love, the Lord of the Rings movies.... it goes on and on.

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Sounds like the guy is unbelievably creepy and sleazy but also it looks like NYPD was gunning for him and looking to take him down. It's rare for the police to get involved in things like aggressive groping (although it could be perceived as attempted rape) but apparently there were a lot of complaints.

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/new...te=1&p=2419434

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/u...legations.html

Quote:
Mr. Weinstein enforced a code of silence; employees of the Weinstein Company have contracts saying they will not criticize it or its leaders in a way that could harm its “business reputation” or “any employee’s personal reputation,” a recent document shows. And most of the women accepting payouts agreed to confidentiality clauses prohibiting them from speaking about the deals or the events that led to them.
He's been accused of rape too: Three women accuse Weinstein of rape: report | TheHill
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Quote:

It doesn't help matters much that he was a major financial contributor to Hillary's campaign. He also gave quite a lot to Al Franken, and Obama. Not sure about Franken, but both Clinton and Obama have been eerily silent during this whole kerfuffle, and that's got the Conservatives in a lather of Schadenfreudic ecstacy.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
The floodgates have opened now:

Bombshell New Yorker Piece Alleges Harvey Weinstein Raped Multiple Women

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
The New Yorker piece is here: From Aggressive Overtures to Sexual Assault: Harvey Weinstein’s Accusers Tell Their Stories
Quote:
For more than twenty years, Weinstein has also been trailed by rumors of sexual harassment and assault. This has been an open secret to many in Hollywood and beyond, but previous attempts by many publications, including The New Yorker, to investigate and publish the story over the years fell short of the demands of journalistic evidence. Too few people were willing to speak, much less allow a reporter to use their names, and Weinstein and his associates used nondisclosure agreements, monetary payoffs, and legal threats to suppress these myriad stories. Asia Argento, an Italian film actress and director, told me that she did not speak out until now––Weinstein, she told me, forcibly performed oral sex on her—because she feared that Weinstein would “crush” her. “I know he has crushed a lot of people before,” Argento said. “That’s why this story—in my case, it’s twenty years old, some of them are older—has never come out.”

Last week, the New York Times, in a powerful report by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, revealed multiple allegations of sexual harassment against Weinstein, a story that led to the resignation of four members of his company’s all-male board, and to Weinstein’s firing from the company.

The story, however, is more complex, and there is more to know and to understand. In the course of a ten-month investigation, I was told by thirteen women that, between the nineteen-nineties and 2015, Weinstein sexually harassed or assaulted them, allegations that corroborate and overlap with the Times’s revelations, and also include far more serious claims.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Anthony Bourdain has been going nuclear on Weinstein's enablers and I wondered why, aside from pure anger at his abuse. He's dating Asia Argento, so his anger is even more understandable.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 10-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Quote:

They always claim it's a liberal witch hunt when a rightie gets caught. See: Hastert, O'Reilly, Ailes, etc., but when it's a lefty (Spitzer, Weiner, Weinstein, etc.) they behave as if they've hit the lottery.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
It doesn't help matters much that he was a major financial contributor to Hillary's campaign. He also gave quite a lot to Al Franken, and Obama. Not sure about Franken, but both Clinton and Obama have been eerily silent during this whole kerfuffle, and that's got the Conservatives in a lather of Schadenfreudic ecstacy.
Franken has donated the money he received from Weinstein to charity. The DNC has followed suit. I'm not sure whether or not Obama or Clinton have done the same.
Briar Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Well Al Franken was always a pillar of awesome. But that may just be my inner snl fanboy talking.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Pelous View Post
In the Hollywood nebula, Weinstein is about as Big A Deal as there is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
Quote:
Since the establishment of the first studios a century ago, there have been few movie executives as dominant, or as domineering, as Harvey Weinstein.
Thanks for the context. I was quite oblivious to his eminence, and it makes more sense now why he would be a legitimate target for muck-raking.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Mood:

It isn't really muckraking though, considering he's been openly wallowing in his own filth for years. He's been a known sexual predator for ages in showbiz; Rose McGowan told people about him in the 90s. And he ruined Gretchen Mol's career (edit: allegedly, people thought this was really about Rose McGowan since they were both "It Girls" at the time).

I'm just surprised that people are surprised by this. And that it took so long.

Last edited by Deca!; 10-10-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Mood:

Twitter
1 User Groaned:
1 User Laughed:
Old 10-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dead Guy

Expert Witless

My Mood:
Yeah. Weinstein is a piece of shit for what he's done, no doubt. But trying to make this an indictment of the liberal media or the Democrats or whatever is ridic. And people who are jizzing themselves over this but did nothing when their pussy-grabber-in-chief was revealed can fuck off.
Asher Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Mood:

Only people who were cunts in the first place are doing that, so yet another non surprise.
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
I'm just surprised that people are surprised by this. And that it took so long.
I don't think people are. I mean okay, maybe a few people. Males who knew Weinstein but were never involved in procuring talent for him might have no reason to have known. Already-established females as well. It's become kind of clear he had a reputation; but...you know what is reputation?

But some people are just having to reflexively act outraged now because it's public news. Far more interesting (but no more surprising) is the widespread silence. Oh yeah some actors are coming out condemning Weinstein, but I wonder how many of them attended one of the yearly "vacate Roman Pedolanski's conviction" parties? Figures like Roman Polanski and Woody Allen are the left's very own Donald Trumps. Hollywood is more than willing to ignore reputation to support a powerful-enough player.

The reason for "why now" doesn't have anything to do with politics; the NYT isn't going to shovel dirt for the GOP. Now is just the right social climate. Roger Ailes has gone down; Bill O'Reilly has gone down. Cosby has at least fallen, if he hasn't been taken completely out. Powerful internet celebrities have gone down. CEOs of companies like Uber have gone down. Women are starting to feel emboldened enough to put their names and faces on the line to accuse their abusers, and society has lately started listening, if slowly and in fits and starts. It's the right climate, and while Weinstein is one of the biggest fish in the pond, there's plenty of others and I think we can expect more of them to be landed in the foreseeable future.

And yes, a lot of them will be liberals - big, important, highly-influential liberals who have made invaluable contributions to progressive causes, because that's what Hollywood is mostly made of. As progressives it's our responsibility to not let that make a difference in how we react. We must not "close ranks", get defensive, or complain that someone liberal is being unfairly scrutinized.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 10-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

My Mood:

Twitter
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Because of the way Twitter works, you have to read this from the bottom up. Anyways:

3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 10-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow And Others Say Harvey Weinstein Harassed Them
Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Twitter

Yes, that's Geraldo Rivera appearing to make a complaint about how Weinstein's guilt will make it harder to challenge women who disclose abuse in the future. He says it was a neutral statement of fact and wasn't implied to be negative or positive; but then why is it qualifying a clearly judgmental opinion about Weinstein?
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
George Clooney , who has worked with Weinstein closely, gave an interview that pretty much sums up how a lot of people are looking at Weinstein. They knew he was a Hollywood bigshot producer who liked to flirt with young women...not a rare creature in Hollywierd. Then the details of how depraved his actions were started to leak out, followed by the harassment settlements and they realized they were dealing with a Trump level weirdo.

George Clooney Speaks Out on Harvey Weinstein: ‘It’s Disturbing on a Whole Lot of Levels’

Quote:
A lot of people are doing the “you had to know” thing right now, and yes, if you’re asking if I knew that someone who was very powerful had a tendency to hit on young, beautiful women, sure. But I had no idea that it had gone to the level of having to pay off eight women for their silence, and that these women were threatened and victimized. I’ve been talking with a lot of people about this, and I don’t know many people who knew of that.
Sharon Waxman over at The Wrap said she was working on a story about Harvey over 10 years ago at The New York Times and they killed it, and if that’s true, then that’s a shameful thing because a lot of women wouldn’t have been made victims if this had come out. By the same token, I do want to say that Sharon’s been running her own influential website, The Wrap, for quite a long time, and if she did these interviews and this investigation, she didn’t run the story either, and I and a lot of other people would have liked to have known it.

A good bunch of people that I know would say, “Yeah, Harvey’s a dog” or “Harvey’s chasing girls,” but again, this is a very different kind of thing. This is harassment on a very high level. And there’s an argument that everyone is complicit in it. I suppose the argument would be that it’s not just about Hollywood, but about all of us—that every time you see someone using their power and influence to take advantage of someone without power and influence and you don’t speak up, you’re complicit. And there’s no question about that.
A lot of Republicans are accusing the media of a double standard because of the attention they gave Trump's alleged assaults and his comments about how he attacks women compared to the smaller attention given to Weinstein. It is not a reasonable comparison because most of America has no clue who Weinstein is. Outside his circle, he is an unknown. Trump is the President of the United States.

Last edited by Soda Sullivan; 10-10-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

My Mood:

Twitter
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This: