What's the deal with this Weinstein kerfuffle? - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » What's the deal with this Weinstein kerfuffle?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Twitter
Twitter
Old 10-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Pre-tea I made this goof early this morning too: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00377980c1299 .... I was REALLY confused that all of the victims were women.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bertrand View Post
Also? The right is salivating at the chance to say that someone on the left is just as bad as their guy, so what are you going to do about it, you hypocrites on the left.
To start, NOT make him the bloody president ....
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
Well Al Franken was always a pillar of awesome. But that may just be my inner snl fanboy talking.
He was at a charity gala I volunteered at. Being in DC and a politics junkie I can compare him against a few other people in his current field and consider him a real class act.
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Georgina Chapman unties the knot

Quote:
Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman told People magazine in a statement on Tuesday that she was separating from Weinstein with whom she shares two young children.

"My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions," the statement read. "I have chosen to leave my husband. Caring for my young children is my first priority and I ask the media for privacy at this time."

Chapman has not responded to CNN requests for comment.

The announcement was made hours after an explosive New Yorker magazine story alleged that Weinstein had raped multiple women. The report also included new allegations of harassment and other improper behavior.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 10-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Pre-tea I made this goof early this morning too: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00377980c1299 .... I was REALLY confused that all of the victims were women.
When the story broke, my only thought was, "But he's gay!"

Then realized FIERSTEIN is spelled different from WEINSTEIN. And also, Fierstein is not a piece of shit.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

God knows what he put his wife and kids through.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #33 (permalink)

i don't care what his politics are

i hope he goes to jail. Along with all the other assholes like him
irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:36 AM   #34 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
Yeah but that's the Daily Mail. If someone was caught throwing babies into a fire the Mail would blame the babies for being too flammable.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #35 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25th May 2007

this was on the radio this morning:

Harvey Weinstein: Wife Georgina Chapman leaves accused producer - BBC News

It's a link to to Zoe Brock telling Radio 4's Today Programme that she was one of Harvey Weinstein's victims. Insinuating that his entourage (Security and assistants) were practically complicit in assisting him to gain what he wanted.
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #36 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Yeah but that's the Daily Mail. If someone was caught throwing babies into a fire the Mail would blame the babies for being too flammable.
But she actually did say those words. The Daily Mail didn't make them up.
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #37 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post
But she actually did say those words. The Daily Mail didn't make them up.
Her remarks were widely reported and criticised elsewhere: https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...einstein-women

Sometimes a thing actually happened despite its having been reported in the Daily Mail.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #38 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post
this was on the radio this morning:

Harvey Weinstein: Wife Georgina Chapman leaves accused producer - BBC News

It's a link to to Zoe Brock telling Radio 4's Today Programme that she was one of Harvey Weinstein's victims. Insinuating that his entourage (Security and assistants) were practically complicit in assisting him to gain what he wanted.
Not surprising. It's SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for guys like Weinstein.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
Not sure about Franken, but both Clinton and Obama have been eerily silent during this whole kerfuffle, and that's got the Conservatives in a lather of Schadenfreudic ecstacy.
Obamas Release Statement About Harvey Weinstein, Say They Are 'Disgusted': DCist

Quote:
"Michelle and I have been disgusted by the recent reports about Harvey Weinstein. Any man who demeans and degrades women in such fashion needs to be condemned and held accountable, regardless of wealth or status. We should celebrate the courage of women who have come forward to tell these painful stories. And we all need to build a culture—including by empowering our girls and teaching our boys decency and respect—so we can make such behaviors less prevalent in the future," the Obamas' statement read.
Twitter
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #40 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

Happy "Year Ending" and Merry Bah Humbug to all.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

It's not like we haven't been warned by Hollywood itself, of the kinds of exploitation done by 'powerful people'. I think people turn a blind eye because they believe it only affects people that are so ambitious that they're willing to put up with that kind of abuse, and if they're willing and getting what they want out of it, it can't be -that- bad.

Doesn't make it okay, but it does, I think, make people not want to see the problem if they can avoid it.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #41 (permalink)

While trump's actions are inexcusable, it doesn't seem like they could hold a candle to what Weinstein had the position and power to do, if the hollywood stereotype holds any water. Trump may have had some position of power to exploit women with his beauty pageants and such and probably to a lesser degree at his office (from a numbers standpoint). Weinstein would have been in a constant position to exploit a huge number of female actors with easy excuses to talk to the women alone in his office.
Tranquility too is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Disagreed:
Old 10-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility too View Post
While trump's actions are inexcusable, it doesn't seem like they could hold a candle to what Weinstein had the position and power to do, if the hollywood stereotype holds any water. Trump may have had some position of power to exploit women with his beauty pageants and such and probably to a lesser degree at his office (from a numbers standpoint). Weinstein would have been in a constant position to exploit a huge number of female actors with easy excuses to talk to the women alone in his office.
I think you really have to split some fine hairs to say one is worse than the other. I am not sure it is even worth arguing over which one was the biggest pig, but the race is close. You have unsubstantiated reports made at Weinstein, and you have cases he settled to make go away.

You have reports from various women made at Trump, including pageant models he was in charge of, and his own claims that he liked to go in their dressing room and watch them change. Weinstein allegedly jerked off in a fern, Trump allegedly had two girls perform a golden shower for him. Do we really need to debate which is more weird or gross? Lets' call it a draw.

One thing you do have with Trump and not with Weinstein is a verbal admission, on camera, that he likes to assault women and even thinks it is funny. It is a silly debate, but until we have a tape of Weinstein, in his own voice, stating that he likes to grab women in the pussy, I am going to give Trump the slight nod as the bigger perv of the two.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #43 (permalink)

My Mood:

There is a tape of Weinstein saying that he's "used to" fondling women. It's embedded in the NYT report.

Splitting hairs over who is worse is ugly. Ugly ugly ugly. The real focus should be on the victims, not who the biggest bloated sack of patriarchal-privilege shit is.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
I gotta go with Soda on this one, but the whole debate sounds like, "Ted Bundy vs. Jack The Ripper -- Who's More Eviller?"

You know, you hit a point where the needle's at 100 and after that .....

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #45 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Where we are currently at with the Weinstein scumbag. (courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter)

Some knew it was coming, and knew it would be bad. But when it finally arrived, it ended up being even worse. Yesterday saw the publication of two new bombshells that further detailed Harvey Weinstein’s decades of alleged sexual misconduct.

Both pieces offered not just harrowing accounts of Weinstein’s actions but also a glimpse at the web of Weinstein Company assistants, associates, and executives who stayed silent as they aided and abetted the producer.

+ First: New York Times followed soon after with a report featuring another group of actresses — including Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie — going on the record to say that they had also been sexually harassed by the movie mogul.

+ Then: With attorney Gloria Allred by her side, actress Louisette Geiss alleged abuse and harassment by Weinstein at the Sundance Film Festival in 2008.

From there, the aftermath was dizzying.

+ Condemnations flooded in As the story threatened to engulf the industry (particularly those who've worked with Weinstein), more stars broke their silence. Statements: Ben Affleck, Benedict Cumberbatch, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Gretchen Mol, Ryan Coogler, Charlize Theron, and Leonardo DiCaprio.

+ The C-suite finally joined the chorus. Notably, Weinstein's peers — studio executives, movie moguls, and other figures with positions of power — had shied away from commenting until yesterday. Statements: Bob Iger, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Michael Eisner.

+ Politicians spoke up too. "I was shocked and appalled," said Hillary Clinton. "Michelle and I have been disgusted," Barack and Michelle Obama said in a statement. Weinstein, of course, is a major Democratic fundraiser.

+ Weinstein's wife leaves him. Georgina Chapman announced that she was parting ways with her husband of 10 years. "My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions," she said. There had been questions about whether Chapman's fashion brand Marchesa, which Weinstein used his influence to promote, would suffer by association. "No star is ever going to want to wear the brand again," one publicist remarked on Monday. It'll be interesting to see if a split with Weinstein could help save Marchesa's fortunes, or even prompt a sympathy boost.

+ The Weinstein Co. battles begin. The company is expected the change its name soon, but its ousted namesake isn't done fighting with them yet. Weinstein hired powerhouse litigator Patricia Glaser for a potential legal battle with The Weinstein Company. "We will do whatever we have to do to properly protect his rights vis a vis the company," said Glaser, who has represented the likes of Keith Olbermann and Conan O'Brien in other high-profile employment disputes.

+ The board denies knowledge. "These alleged actions are antithetical to human decency. These allegations come as an utter surprise to the Board. Any suggestion that the Board had knowledge of this conduct is false," the TWC board said.

+ Meanwhile, the company is in crisis mode, and partners are starting to balk. Amazon is wrestling with a course of action. "We are reviewing our options for the projects we have with The Weinstein Co," a company spokesperson said. Yet behind the scenes, several Amazon Entertainment executives are expressing concern about the company's involvement with two TWC series: Matthew Weiner's The Romanoffs and an untitled David O. Russell project. According to sources, Weiner's reps have conveyed to Amazon that he expects the Weinstein name to be eliminated from the series.

+ Unanswered questions linger under media scrutiny. In an interview with Rachel Maddow last night, Ronan Farrow revealed that Weinstein had threatened him personally with a lawsuit in the course of his reporting. But why did the story ended up in The New Yorker instead of NBC, where he was working as a correspondent? "You would have to ask NBC and NBC executives about the details," he said. "I walked into the door at The New Yorker with an explosively reportable piece that should have been public earlier, and immediately, obviously, The New Yorker recognized that, and it is not accurate to say that it was not reportable. In fact, there were multiple determinations that it was reportable at NBC."

+ Matt Damon denies trying to spike 2004 Weinstein exposé. The actor, whose breakout film Good Will Hunting was championed by Miramax, refuted a claim that he pressured the New York Times to kill her story detailing sexual misconduct allegations against Weinstein.

+ What happened to the NYPD investigation? Questions abound as to why Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance Jr. did pursue Weinstein further in the 2015 case that produced the damning audio tape.

+ Essential reading: "It took a village to pull of Harvey Weinstein's reign of terror." — Kevin Fallon, The Daily Beast. "A crucial part of the Harvey Weinstein story: his alleged enablers." — Anna North, Vox. "What Harvey and Trump have in common." — Tina Brown, New York Times "I'm a coward." — Liz Meriwether, The Cut. "No justice for the bad men." — Leah Finnegan, The Outline. "Stop mentioning your daughters when you denounce Harvey Weinstein." — Hunter Harris, Vulture.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #46 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

There's the late-breaking business with Ben Affleck too, by the way. Actress Rose McGowan, who was one of Weinstein's victims and is now quite vocal, called Affleck out on Twitter after his response statement to the Weinstein news. Affleck had adopted a very typical "I am shocked and angry" stance toward the revelations, which McGowan says is BS because she'd personally told him at the time about what had happened to her, and his response then implied this was something Weinstein was already notorious for. And on top of that, Hilarie Burton then pointed out that she'd been groped at one point by Ben Affleck, which he today gave a curt admission and apology for.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:57 AM   #47 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Twitter
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Rose McGowan's Twitter Account Suspended for Violating Rules: 'There Are Powerful Forces at Work'
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
I think you really have to split some fine hairs to say one is worse than the other. I am not sure it is even worth arguing over which one was the biggest pig, but the race is close. You have unsubstantiated reports made at Weinstein, and you have cases he settled to make go away.

You have reports from various women made at Trump, including pageant models he was in charge of, and his own claims that he liked to go in their dressing room and watch them change. Weinstein allegedly jerked off in a fern, Trump allegedly had two girls perform a golden shower for him. Do we really need to debate which is more weird or gross? Lets' call it a draw.

One thing you do have with Trump and not with Weinstein is a verbal admission, on camera, that he likes to assault women and even thinks it is funny. It is a silly debate, but until we have a tape of Weinstein, in his own voice, stating that he likes to grab women in the pussy, I am going to give Trump the slight nod as the bigger perv of the two.
Thats not what I was trying to say. This thread asked why Wienstein was singled out. People brought up the things trump has said and been accused of doing, which are very similar to the things Wienstein is being accused of doing. So why Wienstien and not trump or any other high powered pig who has this behavior as status quo?

My guess is that it has a lot to do with the number of victims. Wienstien's job and 'power' put him in a position to pretty much have daily access to a huge number of potential victims. I don't think trump had that kind of position and access. I am guessing that Wienstien's victim list far exceeds trumps and that is (at least in large part) why he is being singled out now. Eventually there is a tipping point, a proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back, where money and power can't protect the predator.

As disturbing as it is to say it, that tipping point is measured in part by the number of victims versus how much power and money the predator has. At the very least it is good that times are changing, because in the past, these kinds of men were nearly un-touchable. I do think that trump will remain un-touchable, though, due to the fact he managed to become POTUS. It would be a national embarrassment (not that he isn't already a national embarrassment) to have a POTUS jailed for rape or be legally found guilty of sex abuse crimes.
Tranquility too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility too View Post
When it comes to sexual assault or even attempted sexual assault there are NO degrees. Sexual assault is sexual assault. Full stop.
2 Users Agreed: