Endgame - SLUniverse Forums

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Endgame

So. We know Mueller has plenty to work with (and let's bear in mind, his FBI brought down Enron - he's no lightweight). Let's assume, therefore, that things look bleak for Cheetolini late in 2018.

How do you envision things developing?

He's just possibly not going to quietly "spend more time with his family".

Play the scenario forward in your mind. What's going to happen?
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
The future is so murky. I've been so bad at predicting Trump's behavior or responses to various things, I'm hesitant to try to make another one, but here goes:

I think Trump is going to try to fire Mueller eventually. Sooner or later. And the argument that "but if he does that he's finished" is BS - it simply is guys. This GOP congress has made it painfully clear in the last ten months that it has no intention of ever holding Trump accountable for anything he does, ever, no matter how egregious, reckless, or questionably lawful; no matter how alienating it may or may not be to the base, no matter anything. They will never meaningfully censure a sitting GOP president, including this president. They have already demonstrated it repeatedly. So forget it. Trump will fire Mueller without genuine cause and he will do so with total and utter impunity.

But, that will not be the end of the case, though. The GOP will never directly confront Trump; but at least a couple of them still have the integrity to lean on Sessions to appoint a new Special Counsel, and I'm sure (well, I hope) Mueller has the intelligence and foresight to make sure the investigation is able to proceed without him - assuming of course that the new SC isn't a Trumpet with an agenda to sabotage or simply announce "no good-enough evidence" and drop the matter altogether.

But let's imagine that all the pitfalls are successfully negotiated and it emerges there's a completely dead-to-rights case against Trump that is moving unstoppably forward. What will that look like?

Well....I dunno. I literally can't even imagine what Trump resigning the presidency would look or sound like. I would need to consume some kind of psychoactive drug to be able to conjure a mental image of Trump saying "I resign the presidency". I think Trump will continue to ignore any reports, insult the investigators, whine about "fake news", insist intelligence agencies don't actually know anything about Russia, perhaps even adopt increasingly open and blatant pro-Russian policies and position statements knowing his personality cult will get behind them, and play golf until Congress has absolutely no choice but to vote on whether to impeach him or not.

Whether Congress does actually vote to impeach him - that's, vote to begin the process, not even talking about convicting him yet - depends on the results of the 2018 mid-term. If the status-quo of GOP domination continues in Congress, Trump will not be impeached. Refer to above for explanation.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 10-08-2017, 04:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Things to keep in mind when assessing, is the usual modes of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
  • Abusive Rage/gaslighting/etc
  • Oh woe is me I am betrayed
  • Stepford: Where when the Narcissist is finally aware they are well and truly boned, they become compliant little moppets. But of course if their apology isn't accepted, it's back to the first two, because no one has the right to deny them a thing they want.
Trump's Stepford mode might only ever manifest behind closed doors, or in the prison yard.

As for a fanciful how it plays out?

"DON'T THEY KNOW WHO I AM?" bellowed the orange man, spittle glistening the presidential desk as he reached for the nuclear launch codes, "IF I CAN'T HAVE THE WORLD, NO ONE CAN!"

At the click of a safety being clicked off, all sound stopped but for the laboured breathing of the corpulent man frozen in mid reach for the codes. General Kelly whispered, "I can't let you do that, Sir."
Old 10-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
praise kek

Client: neil life
why am i again being drug into this fantasy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Things to keep in mind when assessing, is the usual modes of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
  • Abusive Rage/gaslighting/etc
  • Oh woe is me I am betrayed
  • Stepford: Where when the Narcissist is finally aware they are well and truly boned, they become compliant little moppets. But of course if their apology isn't accepted, it's back to the first two, because no one has the right to deny them a thing they want.
Trump's Stepford mode might only ever manifest behind closed doors, or in the prison yard.

As for a fanciful how it plays out?

"DON'T THEY KNOW WHO I AM?" bellowed the orange man, spittle glistening the presidential desk as he reached for the nuclear launch codes, "IF I CAN'T HAVE THE WORLD, NO ONE CAN!"

At the click of a safety being clicked off, all sound stopped but for the laboured breathing of the corpulent man frozen in mid reach for the codes. General Kelly whispered, "I can't let you do that, Sir."
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

I'm going to play the health card. I mean, look at him, he's a walking heart attack in the making.

I don't think there will be an impeachment even when the evidence is damning, but at some point he is going to either (A) declare victory and step down, (B) have that damn heart attack and retire for "medical" reasons, or (C) someone very close to him will have a plausibly implausible medical condition and he will step down to "be with his family".

But honestly, that's only a 10% likelyhood and I think we're stuck with him. Congress has no duty to impeach and they can just shut their eyes and whistle Dixie. Like they have been.

There might be some quiet behind-the-scenes moves to remove his ability to preemptively launch missiles, an informal arrangement that will only be talked about 30 years from now. The reality is people who are novice at governing and obvious failures (like he is) get shunted beside as figureheads while the real power reverts to Congress. God help us.

Also, please don't quote uzif. I'd prefer to continue ignoring him and keep the conversation moving instead of being trolled and hijacked as he prefers.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Warren Harding managed to avoid most of the fallout from Teapotgate by dieing of a heart attack. That also prevented him from being held personally accountable, letting his cabinet take the entire rap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford
We face an unprecedented moment in this country. Today's greatest threat is not climate change, not pollution, not flood or fire. It's that we've got people in charge of important shit who don't believe in science.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Don't quote who?
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Laughed:
Old 10-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
Soen, are you using Tapatalk by any chance? If so, it does this by itself, shows blocked posts as all in quotes. Before that it showed them in spoiler tags which was marginally better. Before that it didn't show them at all, which is what it should do.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soen Eber View Post
But honestly, that's only a 10% likelyhood and I think we're stuck with him. Congress has no duty to impeach and they can just shut their eyes and whistle Dixie. Like they have been.
And then he gets re-elected in 2020, or he steps aside and Pence gets elected.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:

Shouldn't this thread be named "Dead Zone"?

ďWhen life gives you lemons, donít make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I donít want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see lifeís manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? Iím the man whoís gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! Iím gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!Ē -- C. Johnson
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-08-2017, 06:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

crystal ball gazing

ok I have a go

i think Robert Mueller won't be sacked. Matters have gone to far now for the investigation to not be completed. To sack Mr Mueller then Rod Rosenstein would also have to go. Two bridges too far in a sense

the outcome of the investigation I think will be similar to what happened to Chris Christie and his people. One or more of the underlings will pay some penalty, Paul Manafort maybe. Mr Trump himself will sail free

i think Mr Trump will stand again for the Presidency. He may be challenged in the Republican primaries, but I doubt that any challengers will be backed in any substantial way by the Republican establishment as a body. Any support for a challenger will be on a personal level

Mr Trump won't resign. He loves being President. He doesn't understand what the job is, but he does understand the trappings of it. It's the trappings of wealth and power he loves most. It doesn't matter to him whether the wealth and power are real or perceived. They are one and the same to him. He won't let them go without a bitter struggle

i also think that the only way he will lose the next Republican primary is to a person even more extreme than he is. (Religious excursion point. Not unless the reactionary right cast the demons from their backs and find Jesus in the meantime. Which is unlikely given the strength of the hold that evil has on the reactionary right at this time. And also the thrall of evil to which the reactionary right religious leadership has succumbed)

Mr Trump could lose the presidential election itself however easily enough

i think the Democratic Party are banking on Mr Trump continuing to be true to his ways. Which maximises their own chances at the next presidential election. Next mid-terms as well

i think sectors within the Republican Party are banking on this also. At least in terms of ridding themselves of Mr Trump without doing damage to themselves
irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

Happy "Year Ending" and Merry Bah Humbug to all.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Tan Trump Tantrums...
Some manufactured-by-negligence national crisis distraction...
declaration of war with some country or other...
witch hunts on leakers...
FCC crack downs on non complimentary media outlets...
A completely sounds proof wall gets built, around the right wing news bubble blocking all outside thought entirely...
Finally...
Newly appointed chief of Homeland security Joe arpio deploys the presidential defence force, a militia that will prevent, with force, anyone from dragging the legally deposed toddler in chief out of the White House.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

AssTrumpet explodes in a spectacular display of blood, gore and guts from all the bad food he eats and then, in a domino effect, starting with Pence, the whole Republican party dies of natural causes. All before the 2018 elections.

No?

1 User Said Awww:
1 User Said Yay!:
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
I think Mueller might not be done in 2018, he is covering a lot of ground. As much as Trump would love to fire him, it would be an almost impossible feat at this point. He would have to take out Mueller and the Assitant Attorney general, both who are respected by Democrats and Republicans whose approval would be needed for a replacement.

I think, in the end, it will be more Clintongate than Watergate. I will be shocked if Mueller does not indict Paul Manafort. He may indict some others in Trump's cabinet or who were part of his campaign. As far as Trump himself goes, I think he will do what Ken Starr did and simply issue a report to Congress. No matter what, that report will be a bombshell that may become both an indictment Trump's recklessness and also of our entire electoral system.

More than likely, if the earth still exists and has not been turned into glass, Trump will be running for a second term and the details from that report will chase him through the entire campaign.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsy Pendragon View Post
Tan Trump Tantrums...
Some manufactured-by-negligence national crisis distraction...
declaration of war with some country or other...
witch hunts on leakers...
FCC crack downs on non complimentary media outlets...
A completely sounds proof wall gets built, around the right wing news bubble blocking all outside thought entirely...
Finally...
Newly appointed chief of Homeland security Joe arpio deploys the presidential defence force, a militia that will prevent, with force, anyone from dragging the legally deposed toddler in chief out of the White House.
Unfortunately that's pretty close to what I see happening.
Zaida Gearbox is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
AssTrumpet explodes in a spectacular display of blood, gore and guts from all the bad food he eats and then, in a domino effect, starting with Pence, the whole Republican party dies of natural causes.
...except for James Inhofe, who drowned after claiming that rising water levels are a leftist conspiracy.

He was last seen mud hiking in an intertidal zone.
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post
...except for James Inhofe, who drowned after claiming that rising water levels are a leftist conspiracy.

He was last seen mud hiking in an intertidal zone.
Hiking or bathing?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
"DON'T THEY KNOW WHO I AM?"
A truly amusing question.

I once told someone he was doing something against the law and got "do you know who I am?!?!?!" thrown at me. Probably not anyone too important given as we were both sitting in the back of a subway car at the time.

"Yes, a lawbreaker." Strangely he had no response to that.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
I like the idea of "health" being the reason for Trump's "resignation". It still won't be easy for him to do, but that feels like about the only exit that could be acceptable to him - that way, he could say how dearly he wants to continue, but he's compelled to depart, to a wave of sympathy from the base, and yet another news cycle consumed by him.

Not, I imagine, that that would put an end to Mueller's investigations - and much as the Republicans would love to contain the damage to just Trump, Manafort, and a few others, it doesn't seem likely or plausible, given how closely involved others have been, especially Pence.

As for the timeframe - it's difficult to say, but I'd be surprised if Mueller's report is delivered before Nov 2018. And even then, that would only be the start of any indictments and trials.
Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
One way to predict the future is to look back at history.

Trump Barely wins an election and is embroiled in scandal as he begins campaigning for his second term with his populist message for those who feel left behind or left out. The Democrats swing far to the left and run a ultra-liberal candidate and get crushed by Trump, only to have him waving at the cameras as he steps into a helicopter after he resigns to avoid being impeached

Are Democrats Headed for a McGovern Redux?

Quote:
We’re a long, long way from 2020, but it’s abundantly evident that Trump will again run a Nixonian campaign, tearing down his opponent and presenting himself as the champion of an aggrieved coalition that Nixon called the “silent majority” and Trump calls “the forgotten men and women” of America.

Consumed by internecine battles and the idea of opposition, Democrats run the risk of again nominating someone like McGovern who pleases progressives but steers a course too far from the country’s center of political gravity to win, even as Trump continues his funhouse mirror impression of Nixon as the avatar of white cultural-grievance politics.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
silent majority

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - The Silent Majority

Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
only mostly banned

*SLU Supporter*

paddling.....

My Mood:
Business: Building in Motion
Client: References available on request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
One way to predict the future is to look back at history.

Trump Barely wins an election and is embroiled in scandal as he begins campaigning for his second term with his populist message for those who feel left behind or left out. The Democrats swing far to the left and run a ultra-liberal candidate and get crushed by Trump, only to have him waving at the cameras as he steps into a helicopter after he resigns to avoid being impeached

Are Democrats Headed for a McGovern Redux?
The Democrats have not moved anywhere, and I am not too concerned that a future candidate will move too far out of the mainstream. The bigger issue is whether or not they will nominate someone who is willing to stand up and fight and explicitly call out the Republicans' use of divisive, false rhetoric.

The Republicans' continuing rightward shift has been well documented by multiple metrics. One such example can be found at RPubs - DW-NOMINATE using ggjoy (Sorry image is generated and cannot be embedded. I will try a link to one of his tweets below....)

Twitter

With respect to the investigations by Counsellor Muellor, I am not hopeful. I suspect he may get some of the side players, but it would be surprising if Pres. Trump had the wherewithal to have played an active role in what they did. His hands off approach likely means that he gave them a free hand to cheat and pillage, but the President likely had little idea nor cared what they were up to.

"I understand that people are scared, but they should listen to facts." - Ryan White

Grandma Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Bates View Post
The Democrats have not moved anywhere, and I am not too concerned that a future candidate will move too far out of the mainstream. The bigger issue is whether or not they will nominate someone who is willing to stand up and fight and explicitly call out the Republicans' use of divisive, false rhetoric.
Yes, as much as people in the two major parties hate to admit it they are more alike than not. About the only two places where they really differ is on social issues and rationality.

Out of all possible political outcomes I can see hopefully this is the beginning of the dismantling of both of them. They will not go without kicking and screaming and it will take some time, but neither has completely clean hands right now.
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 10-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #24 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
Sorry the only way I see Dump Truck leaving the White House is either by death or being forcibly removed. Even if he loses the next election he'll just start screaming about Fake News and voter fraud. I mean - he won the election and he still screamed about all the supposed voter fraud. He's just sewing seeds to be able to remain in office even if he loses.
Zaida Gearbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Yes, as much as people in the two major parties hate to admit it they are more alike than not.
Here is what the two major political parties have in common: They are both major political parties that function like major political parties. That's it.

On every major issue, be it foreign policy, economic development, the electoral process, healthcare, personal freedom, taxes and immigration, the party's platforms diverge completely. You may have individual candidates that swing either left or right in both parties, but the parties themselves and their platform they stand on are totally different from top to bottom.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed: