Puerto Rico is dying - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Puerto Rico is dying

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #51 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
I guess it was easier to delete everything than make a post with an original thought or supporting evidence.
If it works for #45 ....

Trump deletes tweets after backing Alabama primary loser - BBC News
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
Is that legal? Isn't his Tweets public record or something? Like, legally.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #53 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
Is that legal? Isn't his Tweets public record or something? Like, legally.
Opinions seem to differ. I guess someone needs to try to get an injunction ordering him to stop deleting them and then see how the case goes: https://www.quora.com/Is-it-legal-fo...s-as-president
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:19 PM   #54 (permalink)
Voice of Reason

Not Amused

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/30/2006
Client: Firestorm/CoolVL
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirits Rising
Quote:
I guess it was easier to delete everything than make a post with an original thought or supporting evidence.
The account belonging to Asterius does not seem to even exist anymore, so it's more like someone went nuclear and unless I am missing something it wouldn't have been the account owner either.

Meaning that it looks like the sod got itself banned and excised.
Spirits Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #55 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Kind of like picking a fight in a bar, and not realizing it was a Hell's Angels bar. Way outmatched.

Kind of like Trump getting into a spelling contest with the Oxford English Dictionary.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #56 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Real journalists adhere pretty strictly to these rules. For example years ago I was hanging out with someone who gave a lot of excellent reports to a reporter (the Boston Globe I think). After the reporter filled pages and pages with what was said he asked his name ... and the person refused to give it. I could tell the reporter was fuming and knew why .... it meant all that work was now not usable because he could not use it. His newsroom may have let him get away with 'according to an anonymous source' but I doubt his editor would have been that kind over what was basically just a human interest piece.
Nowadays news stories often the reason the source was anonymous, so this one might read

"According to an anonymous source, who led me on then was a dick about revealing his name, ..."
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:23 AM   #57 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
Nowadays news stories often the reason the source was anonymous, so this one might read

"According to an anonymous source, who led me on then was a dick about revealing his name, ..."
True, he could have done that. It just would have been REALLY odd to cite an anonymous source for quotes about worldcon being held.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #58 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post

That one is now questionable.
FACT CHECK: Is the Trump Administration Price Gouging Puerto Rico Evacuees and Seizing Passports?
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #59 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
Wow that was fast. (re: Asterius)
I guess I missed some major trollishness (or an attempt at same).
Back on topic, I heard on CBS news radio that they're finally sending the USS Comfort to Puerto Rico. Also that the Marines are trying to clear the roads.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #60 (permalink)

All I want is coffee and 5 million dollars

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Close to genocide': San Juan mayor's dire appeal to US for Puerto Rico relief - The Guardian
Quote:
he mayor of San Juan lashed out at Trump administration on Friday, decrying its relief effort in the wake of hurricanes Jose and Maria and saying: “If we don’t solve the logistics, we are going to see something close to a genocide.”

“We are dying here,” Carmen Yulín Cruz said at a press conference, speaking with tears in her eyes. “I cannot fathom the thought that the greatest nation in the world cannot figure out the logistics ... for a small island of 100 miles by 35 miles.”

Cruz appealed directly to the president, saying: “So Mr Trump, I am begging you to take charge and save lives. If not, the world will see how we are treated not as second-class citizens but as animals that can be disposed of. Enough is enough.”

Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #61 (permalink)

All I want is coffee and 5 million dollars

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Also,
Quote:
Trump again referred to the island’s debt crisis, saying it would have to work with federal authorities to determine how to pay for a massive recovery effort compounded by “the tremendous amount of existing debt already on the island”.
God I hate this man.
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #62 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
Also,

God I hate this man.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #63 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
A first person account being shared on Facebook:

I'll update with any information the friend who started it posts about where to send stuff.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #64 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

America: Way Down, Big Trouble, Dead!

Most Appropriate  Forum Avatar 
This is exactly what I was afraid of. People who are ill or who were already in a hospital. I'm not at all surprised by the deaths and I'm certain there are many more. This is horrific. It's Katrina all over again times a thousand. I know some of this is unavoidable given the damage and logistics but if this was happening anywhere else in the US, it would never be allowed to get this bad. This is the United States for fucks sake, we have more resources than anyone on the fucking planet, we have a military, we have fucking NASA for godsakes, if we can't handle it, who can? There is NO excuse for this neglect. This is ALL on Trump's evil, stupid, racist, insane head and ALL his minions and the entire republican party.
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #65 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
San Juan mayor hits back at Elaine Duke: ‘This is not a good-news story. This is a people-are-dying story.’

The mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico, lashed out at acting Secretary of Homeland Security Elaine Duke's comment that the Hurricane Maria relief efforts are a "good-news story," saying, that in reality, it's a "people-are-dying story."

Speaking outside the White House on Thursday, Duke said she is “very satisfied” with efforts to aid Puerto Rico in the wake of Maria, which devastated the island and has created a humanitarian crisis. Duke said, “It is really a good-news story,” an assessment that prompted San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz's strong rebuttal.

“Well, maybe from where she's standing, it's a good-news story. When you’re drinking from a creek, it's not a good-news story. When you don't have food for a baby, it's not a good-news story,” Cruz told CNN’s “New Day,” referring to the plight of Puerto Ricans, many of whom have received little or no aid thus far. “When you have to pull people down from their buildings — I'm sorry, but that really upsets me and frustrates me. You know, I would ask her to come down here and visit the towns, and then make a statement like that, which frankly, it is an irresponsible statement.

“Damn it, this is not a good-news story. This is a people-are-dying story. This is a life-or-death story. This is a 'there's-a-truck-load-of-stuff-that-cannot-be-taken-to-people story.' This is a story of a devastation that continues to worsen because people are not getting food and water,” she continued. “It is not a good-news story when people are dying, when they don't have dialysis, when their generators aren't working and their oxygen isn’t providing for them. Where is there good news here? ... I’m really sorry, but you know when you have people out there dying, literally, scraping for food, where is the good news?”

Duke, at a press conference Friday in San Juan, sought to clarify her Thursday remarks without directly addressing her "good news" assessment.

"I was asked if I was happy and satisfied with the recovery. I am proud of the work that's being done.I am proud of Americans helping Americans, friends and strangers alike," she said, acknowledging that the reality on the ground in Puerto Rico "is not satisfactory."

Cruz said earlier on Friday that the issue has not been a lack of supplies but an inability to deal with the logistics of distributing aid on an island that is still largely without power and supplying it to Puerto Rico’s more rural areas. The mayor said San Juan had received three pallets of water — slightly more than 4,000 bottles for a population of roughly 350,000 people — as well as four pallets of food and 12 pallets of baby food and supplies.

The situation in other parts of the island are even more dire, Cruz said, relaying her interaction with another Puerto Rican mayor, who said his residents had no food, no medicine, had not yet received any aid and were drinking from the same creek they were using to wash themselves and their clothes. Nursing homes must be a priority, she said, because they “are becoming just human cages for people that are sick and unable to fend for themselves.”
San Juan mayor hits back at Elaine Duke: &lsquo;This is not a good-news story. This is a people-are-dying story.&rsquo; - POLITICO
Old 09-29-2017, 10:10 PM   #66 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Am I the only one hoping even more people will realize he is not at ALL competent to be president after all of this? Not that it is a good way to convince people of that, but if anything will happen ...
Old 09-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #67 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

I don't see the polls changing much at all at this point, Kara. He has his base, who truly wouldn't care if he "shot someone" in the middle of Fifth Avenue and who do not care at all about governance, this is all revenge on the "libtards" for them. Then there are the rest of us, who either mildly or strenuously disapprove of him. He doesn't care if all he has are a minority of minions, as long as their loyalty is blind and they keep the applause coming. It's all he lives for, his ego. And his money.

Bill Scher wrote an excellent piece on just this topic in Politico Magazine this week:

The Culture War President
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #68 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
This whole thing makes me so frustrated. Getting supplies to people in remote or isolated locations is something many organizations and professions have mastered for some time. This makes no sense. Even without roads, or power, or running water, there is no reason for this anywhere on this planet 10 days after a disaster, let alone this close to America.

Logistics isn't some woo woo mysterious thing, I hate that some articles make it sound like that's the problem. Ask Walmart, or Fed Ex, the Forest Service, hell ask a soccer mom. They've all dealt with logistics.

This isn't a logistical problem. We are good at moving shit and people.
This is a buracracy and red tape problem.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #69 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
This whole thing makes me so frustrated. Getting supplies to people in remote or isolated locations is something many organizations and professions have mastered for some time. This makes no sense. Even without roads, or power, or running water, there is no reason for this anywhere on this planet 10 days after a disaster, let alone this close to America.

Logistics isn't some woo woo mysterious thing, I hate that some articles make it sound like that's the problem. Ask Walmart, or Fed Ex, the Forest Service, hell ask a soccer mom. They've all dealt with logistics.

This isn't a logistical problem. We are good at moving shit and people.
This is a buracracy and red tape problem.
It's also very much a leadership problem. If a President decides that something like this is the number one priority, and dedicates all his energy to deal with it, it will be done. Trump simply doesn't care. He only responded once the criticism started and even then, barely allowed it to interfere with his NFL distraction. Which became even more important as a distraction with the failure in Puerto Rico. His Presidency is one long tweetstorm distraction away from his total lack of governance and the chaos that having a headless State creates.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #70 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
This isn't a logistical problem. We are good at moving shit and people. This is a buracracy and red tape problem.
That is what the mayor was saying. One example she listed was that the aid people were telling people to do stuff online first. In an area where just 1% even has electricity and things like working cell towers are hard to come by.
2 Users Groaned:
2 Users Said WTF?:
Old 09-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #71 (permalink)

I think it's more of a who gives a shit about Puerto Rico problem from the Republicans and the orange one but time will tell.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #72 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
That is what the mayor was saying. One example she listed was that the aid people were telling people to do stuff online first. In an area where just 1% even has electricity and things like working cell towers are hard to come by.
Remember this guy?

2 Users Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #73 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
I hate Trump as much as the next guy, and the few comments he's made make me even angrier than his silence and inaction, but I guess I don't fully understand why it all hinges on him. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about holding him accountable, but in fairness there has to be more.

I mean, I've watched broadcasts of perfectly coifed journalists in their "on location" $200 khakis showing the devastation but no one can get food, water and medical supplies to these same spots until Trump tells them?
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #74 (permalink)

This article talks about the economic and infrastructure problems of Puerto Rico and what is going to be needed to solve them and get the island back on its feet over the next months (or longer).

Something of the general emphasis of the article is here

Quote:
Maria’s terrible blow reveals how Puerto Rico could be the mirror for a dystopian American future. As a recent report by the Action Center on Race and the Economy suggests, the hard-line austerity planned for Puerto Rico is a version of the strictures already imposed in Detroit’s bankruptcy, and will likely be used for troubled municipalities like Chicago and states like Illinois. On the other hand, Puerto Rico’s misery can be a wake-up call for the United States—which, ever since the New York City fiscal crisis of the 1970s, has gradually abandoned its commitment to the common good.
Puerto Rico Needs Massive Emergency Aid Now—and an End to Austerity | The Nation
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
I hate Trump as much as the next guy, and the few comments he's made make me even angrier than his silence and inaction, but I guess I don't fully understand why it all hinges on him. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about holding him accountable, but in fairness there has to be more.
I agree largely but he is the commander in chief and also appointed and is the boss of Brock Long, the director of FEMA.
2 Users Said Thanks :