Puerto Rico is dying - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Puerto Rico is dying

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterius View Post
I just see more of your fake media posts from the BBC, yahoo, cnn, etc. You are just so controlled by the fake media, that you continue to rely on media outlets for your posts. There was several links that I could have posted, but I didn't see one accurate story from the media. I have yet to see an accurate post on this forum.
Please give us an example of a news story published by the BBC that you know to be "fake," with an explanation of how you know it's "fake", as opposed to one that happens to be contradicted by one of your crank sites.

I mean, you can't simply say "this is fake news because I read something somewhere on the internet that contradicts it" and expect to be taken terribly seriously.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
If anyone can clear a shipping path it is them. Hopefully the coasties brought along a breaker or two. While this is not ice they are designed just for making a clear lane.

edit: They are NOT there? WTF are you even thinking Donnie as this is what they are designed to do and those icebreakers will be in full use soon if you do nothing.
I'm not so sure about that, Kara. As I recall, the cooling systems for ships' engines are designed with a view to the temperature of the waters in which they will be sailing.

I know (because a friend worked on the contracts between a British trawling company and an African one that wanted to buy some boats from them) that British trawlers, designed to work in the cold waters of the North Sea and the North Atlantic, require months of expensive conversion work on the engines before they can be deployed in tropical waters.

Presumably ice breakers would have the same problems in the Caribbean, and would require similar work to de-tropicalise the engines before returning to the far north. Perhaps they could be deployed there short-term without damaging the engines but I wouldn't be too sure of it.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...-flights-facts

US sends more aid to Puerto Rico, a week after Maria | Fox News

The Trump administration’s disaster response in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria has been weak.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...risis-severity

Damaged Ports and Airfields Limiting Puerto Rico Aid Effort: Dunford | Military.com

US military sends ships, aircraft to Puerto Rico - CNNPolitics

Hurricane Maria: Trump defends Puerto Rico response - BBC News

All of these articles mention that there are troops in Puerto Rico, although they take different slants on the question of how adequate the response is given the scope of the destruction and the island's population. The "fake" news is reporting on the story, just not the way some people want them to.

eta: You will find that most posters here tend to read a wide variety of media, even those with editorial positions that we disagree with, in order to get a range of sources instead of uncritically accepting partisan blogs.

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.

Last edited by Veritable Quandry; 09-27-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Veritable Quandry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
I just see more of your fake media posts from the BBC, yahoo, cnn, etc. You are just so controlled by the fake media, that you continue to rely on media outlets for your posts. There was several links that I could have posted, but I didn't see one accurate story from the media. I have yet to see an accurate post on this forum.
Bitch, you high?

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

Scanned

It's not good that someone died, but look, a poster in this class of readers hopes to persuade someone here.
Quote:
Horner, whose fake news stories often went viral on Facebook and Twitter, told The Intersect, a Washington Post blog, last year that Trump supporters were especially susceptible to being fooled.“My sites were picked up by Trump supporters all the time,” Horner said. “I think Trump is in the White House because of me.
“His followers don’t fact-check anything — they’ll post everything, believe anything. His campaign manager posted my story about a protester getting paid $3,500 as fact. Like, I made that up. I posted a fake ad on Craigslist.”
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #31 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
I already had edited the article, and removed the photos. Actually, some forums use anon.to to de-referer or null-referer the links.
No longer plagiarized, but still a significant amount of copied text. It is always better to summarize and put your point in your own words than fling quotes at each other without any context or processing. On this forum, the preference is for clearly stating the source of information instead of obscuring through anonymous or shortened links.

Quote:
Plagiarism is more common with journalists and authors of professional published journal articles.
Incomplete comparison. More common than? Your post was plagiarized. A blanket accusation of plagiarism without support from reputable sources (studies, academic journals, places that cite their shit) is worth the paper it's printed on. And we don't even have paper here.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #32 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Quote:
I already had edited the article, and removed the photos. Actually, some forums use anon.to to de-referer or null-referer the links.

Plagiarism is more common with journalists and authors of professional published journal articles.
Because mashing the WTF button is, really, not enough.

Seriously, what are you trying to do here? Persuade us that only your (far-right) sources are reliable when pretty much all research (by all parties) shows that the BBC is among the most trusted?

Try browsing a little media beyond the completely biased sources?

These are the most

New Graph Tries To Break Down Real And Fake News

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

Sheesh. We've had better far-right trolls, no?

And just to add context, I work in academic publishing. Yes, there is plagiarism. But yes, there are checks. You wouldn't pass them.

Last edited by Ariadne Korda; 09-27-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Context
Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

I'm still waiting for an example of this "fake news" the BBC is said to publish.

Since the BBC is subject to particular scrutiny from all sides of the political divide in the UK, it should not be too difficult to find some well-documented examples, if any exist.

I stress the "well-documented." I don't, for example, believe that the BBC has a right-wing bias simply because some supporters of Jeremy Corbyn don't like the way its political editor covers the Labour Party (to the extent that its political editor needed bodyguards when covering this year's Labour Party Conference) and neither am I going to accept that the BBC promotes "fake news" simply because it often reports things that supporters of Donald Trump would rather not hear about.

Last edited by Innula Zenovka; 09-27-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
I just see more of your fake media posts from the BBC, yahoo, cnn, etc. You are just so controlled by the fake media, that you continue to rely on media outlets for your posts.
I always give thanks for a good laugh. THANK YOU.

Quote:
I have yet to see an accurate post on this forum.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #35 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
I'm still waiting for an example of this "fake news" the BBC is said to publish.
US 'fake news' kingpin Paul Horner found dead at 38

Close enough?
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #36 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
Link? I could ask around.
I saw it on Google news the other day, but here's a current story:

Ham radio operators are saving Puerto Rico - CNN
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 09-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #37 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
They published the so-called "moon landing" AND the "Elvis is dead" hoax.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #38 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm

Quote:
I have yet to see an accurate post on this forum.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #39 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
They published the so-called "moon landing" AND the "Elvis is dead" hoax.
Not to mention...

3 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-27-2017, 11:23 PM   #40 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
You haven't been looking hard, then. Here's a hint: Next time you read this forum, try opening your eyes.

Now, let me get this straight: Anything that doesn't support your right-wing views is fake news? I'm guessing, then, that the only reliable news media for non-fake news are Fox News and Breitbart?

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-27-2017, 11:34 PM   #41 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
The BBC is probably credible enough, you gotta watch out for Canadian broadcasting though. An entire generation of kids wanting house hippos as pets

1 User Agreed:
Old 09-28-2017, 05:00 AM   #42 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
I guess it was easier to delete everything than make a post with an original thought or supporting evidence.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-28-2017, 05:27 AM   #43 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Please give us an example of a news story published by the BBC that you know to be "fake," with an explanation of how you know it's "fake", as opposed to one that happens to be contradicted by one of your crank sites.

I mean, you can't simply say "this is fake news because I read something somewhere on the internet that contradicts it" and expect to be taken terribly seriously.
But Innula, don't you know the Beeb is in on the global conspiracy to all tell the same fake story about the current squatter in the WH?

I make sure to vary my news sources. MSNBC (CNN and other american news sources will do in a pinch), BBC, TYT, Washington Post, Al Jazeera, plus whoever wins the google news lottery for the day unless it is a known bad reporting site (like world net daily).

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:32 AM   #44 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that, Kara. As I recall, the cooling systems for ships' engines are designed with a view to the temperature of the waters in which they will be sailing.

I know (because a friend worked on the contracts between a British trawling company and an African one that wanted to buy some boats from them) that British trawlers, designed to work in the cold waters of the North Sea and the North Atlantic, require months of expensive conversion work on the engines before they can be deployed in tropical waters.

Presumably ice breakers would have the same problems in the Caribbean, and would require similar work to de-tropicalise the engines before returning to the far north. Perhaps they could be deployed there short-term without damaging the engines but I wouldn't be too sure of it.
Yes, short term is what I was thinking. Given they are normally berthed somewhere warmer than the arctic/antarctic they should be able to handle it.

Those things are TOUGH monsters too. The one my dad piloted was used by the navy for target practice after it was decommissioned. It was not exactly easy to sink it and it was basically a sitting duck.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-28-2017, 05:35 AM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
I guess it was easier to delete everything than make a post with an original thought or supporting evidence.
I wondered who ya'll were talking to....
Old 09-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
But Innula, don't you know the Beeb is in on the global conspiracy to all tell the same fake story about the current squatter in the WH?
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:48 AM   #47 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
No longer plagiarized, but still a significant amount of copied text. It is always better to summarize and put your point in your own words than fling quotes at each other without any context or processing. On this forum, the preference is for clearly stating the source of information instead of obscuring through anonymous or shortened links.

Incomplete comparison. More common than? Your post was plagiarized. A blanket accusation of plagiarism without support from reputable sources (studies, academic journals, places that cite their shit) is worth the paper it's printed on. And we don't even have paper here.
News sources also indicate the information was from somewhere else and credit the original source (or at least say it is from an anonymous source). If not video they also indicate it was a quote if they are not using their own words.

Real journalists adhere pretty strictly to these rules. For example years ago I was hanging out with someone who gave a lot of excellent reports to a reporter (the Boston Globe I think). After the reporter filled pages and pages with what was said he asked his name ... and the person refused to give it. I could tell the reporter was fuming and knew why .... it meant all that work was now not usable because he could not use it. His newsroom may have let him get away with 'according to an anonymous source' but I doubt his editor would have been that kind over what was basically just a human interest piece.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #48 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
So, there's this..

Trump temporarily lifts Jones Act to bolster Puerto Rico relief | TheHill

Quote:
The White House announced early Thursday that President Trump has agreed to waive the Jones Act, which will temporarily lift shipping restrictions on Puerto Rico and enable the hurricane-ravaged island to receive necessary aid.

The waiver from the shipping law, which requires American-made and operated vessels to transport cargo between U.S. ports, will only last for 10 days and goes into effect immediately.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #49 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
.. but there's also this:

Mark Cuban, Pitbull step up, but Trump administration making Puerto Rico evacuees pay - MarketWatch

Quote:
The Trump administration is making U.S. citizens pay “full fare” to be evacuated from hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico.

What’s worse, the U.S. government, in accordance with a long-standing but discretionary policy, will hold the evacuees’ passports as collateral until it gets its money.

Last edited by Porsupah Ree; 09-28-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
Then consider for your amusement:
Quote:
Imagine, if you will, President Donald Trump as a giant, bloated, orange sow and his idiot hordes of supporters as a litter of inbred piglets, each with their own deformity and damage, all kinds of shades of orange, each just a hungry, squeaking pig baby, all fighting with each other, shoving and climbing over one another, desperately trying to get to the Trump sow's engorged teats, so rich with the sweet, white milk of intense contempt and abject hatred, and when one idiot piglet furiously suckles from the Trump sow's nipple, another thinks the first piglet is becoming too favored, so it bites and pushes until the first mutant piglet unlatches and the angrier piglet can shove the Trump sow teat into his mouth, thrilled as the warm malignancy of Trump's milk pours into him, not realizing or even caring that what they drink is poisoned, that it is getting into their piglet systems and turning them into irrational, tiny beasts who believe that their squeals need to be heard above everyone else's.
The Rude Pundit: The Deep Denial of Trump Supporters: Puerto Rico Edition