Puerto Rico is dying - Page 12 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Puerto Rico is dying

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

LIONHEART - We Have Your Land
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2017, 11:13 PM   #276 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
I'm just a girl, with some horns
My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Mother Jones talks to San Juan's mayor.

The Mayor of San Juan Isn’t Finished With Donald Trump: “Power Does Not Make You a Good Person”
Mother Jones: It’s been a little over two months since the hurricane struck. Do you have any perspective on the disaster?

Carmen Yulín Cruz: No one in Puerto Rico will ever be the same as they were [before] September 20. Our priorities have changed. The things that we put emphasis on have changed. The way we see our future is no longer distant but is here and now. We have been left with a sense of being unable to get off the starting block and getting on with the race. Last week the power went out completely on the island. Yesterday the power went out completely on the island. Today the power went out about half of what it was before. It seems like we haven’t been able to have a sustained effort that will, on a continuous basis, provide us with a steady pace of, I wouldn’t call it recovery, but I’d call it transformation.

MJ: How long do you think it will take to get back to normal?

CYC: We will never be back to that normal. We’re going to have to fight our way to find a new normal. Things like being unable to get our power back does not help because when we’re talking about power we’re not talking about an electric grid. We’re talking about the ability of children to go to school. We’re talking about the ability of people that are connected to life-support systems to live. We’re talking about the ability of doctors to operate in circumstances that are conducive to an appropriate level of health care. We’re talking about the motor that jump-starts our economy.
Mass starvation of virtual bunnies due to a cease and desist order. Now THAT is Second Life!
la lucha sigue...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #277 (permalink)
All I want is coffee and 5 million dollars

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Still in the news...

ON MARCH 2, 1917, President Woodrow Wilson signed a law granting U.S. citizenship to the residents of Puerto Rico. But 101 years later, the federal government, by abandoning the island in the wake of a crippling debt crisis and an even more devastating hurricane, is treating Puerto Ricans like citizens in name only.

Washington’s failure to adequately help Puerto Rico rebuild its economy and school system was the focus of a daylong conference at the U.S. Capitol on Thursday, hosted by the American Federation of Teachers, the Hispanic Federation, and the Albert Shanker Institute.

The event drew powerful progressive politicians — namely Sens. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.; Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass.; and Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn. All three back the Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands Equitable Rebuild Act, often referred to as a “Marshall Plan” for the territories. The bill, authored by Sanders, would provide $146 billion to Puerto Rico’s recovery, would forgive its debt, and would establish Medicaid and Medicare parity. Unlike in the U.S., the federal government subjects Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands to annual Medicaid caps.

Isabeau Imako is online now   Reply With Quote