The Irrationality of Alcoholics Anonymous - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » The Irrationality of Alcoholics Anonymous

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #26 (permalink)

This space for rent

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2009
Client: Firestorm
I had to laugh when suddenly Blazing Saddles broke out in the comments :-D
LoriClaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by io Kukulcan View Post
Here's some interesting information:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/...ressed_people/
Blazing Saddles.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dead Guy

Expert Witless

My Mood:
Quote:
Try some psilocybin mushrooms for addiction.
Trust me, it'll help you see through your addiction, and realize how silly it is, also your ego.
And you'll never want to be inebriated after that experience.
Google, "psilocybin to treat addiction".
There's scientific research being done on it, but it's difficult because the gub'mint is deathly afraid of people tripping in the woods while listening to their favorite music.
I never heard of this until you mentioned it, but this is really fascinating.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Asher Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #29 (permalink)

Bill Wilson was the founder of AA. He experimented with LSD.

Quote:
Bill was enthusiastic about his experience with LSD; he felt it helped him eliminate barriers erected by the self, or ego, that stand in the way of one’s direct experience of the cosmos and of God. He thought he might have found something that could make a big difference to the lives of many who still suffered.
Bill Wilson's Experience with LSD | AA Agnostica

It is probably best if you don't click on the link in the article, Betty the LSD Researcher. Chrome says there is malware there.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post
I'm so glad I can't stand the taste of alcohol.
I couldn't stand the state of alcohol until about 27. Some combination of growing older and being in a really rough spot helped me get used to the taste. There is a lot of research that you are more likely to have a problem with alcohol if you start drinking young, so there are big advantages to starting that late.

...it may sound odd, or like I'm just being contrarian, but I honestly think that using alcohol as a "social lubricant" saved my life. I still don't have any issues with drinking so much that I'm truly drunk and have never had a hang over. I hope to keep it that way.
TrollCampFollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:01 AM   #31 (permalink)

I don't think anyone would drink hard liquor, say vodka, just for the taste if it had no effects. Could be wrong though.
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-15-2017, 12:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Drinking any alcoholic beverage is an "acquired taste". People who actually like the taste the first time are pretty rare.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-15-2017, 01:10 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Drinking any alcoholic beverage is an "acquired taste". People who actually like the taste the first time are pretty rare.
All I can say is I've drunk a lot of alcohol in my life and if it didn't give me a buzz I sure wouldn't drink it for the taste.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #34 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollCampFollower View Post
I couldn't stand the state of alcohol until about 27. Some combination of growing older and being in a really rough spot helped me get used to the taste. There is a lot of research that you are more likely to have a problem with alcohol if you start drinking young, so there are big advantages to starting that late.

...it may sound odd, or like I'm just being contrarian, but I honestly think that using alcohol as a "social lubricant" saved my life. I still don't have any issues with drinking so much that I'm truly drunk and have never had a hang over. I hope to keep it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
All I can say is I've drunk a lot of alcohol in my life and if it didn't give me a buzz I sure wouldn't drink it for the taste.
My first taste of it was my dad giving me a sip of beer when I was a kid. Automatically HATED the taste and would not try it again until grad school. So now I typically go years between drinks, which ironically to my doctors mean I am a drinker. Not counting grad school (and finishing off the wine coolers left over from it) I can count the times I have had alcohol in my life on one hand.

Ironically, this also helped me to go from vegetarian to vegan. It turns out milk is also an acquired taste (just most people acquire it when they are very young). When trying to change to soy milk I mixed it with dairy milk .... but got the proportions completely wrong. Now I can not stand the smell of the dairy section and can only stand soy milk if it is mixed with a lot of some other flavour.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
My first taste of it was my dad giving me a sip of beer when I was a kid. Automatically HATED the taste and would not try it again until grad school. So now I typically go years between drinks, which ironically to my doctors mean I am a drinker. Not counting grad school (and finishing off the wine coolers left over from it) I can count the times I have had alcohol in my life on one hand.

Ironically, this also helped me to go from vegetarian to vegan. It turns out milk is also an acquired taste (just most people acquire it when they are very young). When trying to change to soy milk I mixed it with dairy milk .... but got the proportions completely wrong. Now I can not stand the smell of the dairy section and can only stand soy milk if it is mixed with a lot of some other flavour.
I have learned the hard way (with my insurance company refusing to pay for a procedure "because of a pre-existing condition") to never, ever tell the doctors that I do anything except eat healthy and exercise. They will take what you tell them and multiply it times 10 and put it in your permanent record.

Now that your record is online it can even affect your work and financial well being (in other words, they can refuse you a loan because of an illness). HIPPA only protects the hospitals, not you. You actually have no medical privacy. (Another rant for another thread).
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Try some psilocybin mushrooms for addiction.
Trust me, it'll help you see through your addiction, and realize how silly it is, also your ego.
And you'll never want to be inebriated after that experience.
Google, "psilocybin to treat addiction".
There's scientific research being done on it, but it's difficult because the gub'mint is deathly afraid of people tripping in the woods while listening to their favorite music.
This may be the WORST advice I have ever seen given in the history of SLU. psilocybin mushrooms can be wonderful, and they can also be a living nightmare depending on your brain chemistry and background.

I say this as someone who spent most of the 2000-2004 experimenting (limitedly) with LSD, psilocybin mushrooms and MDMA and DMA. I have great hope for MDMA as once again taking its place as non controlled medicine. I am also spending years of therapy and medicine trying to undo the damage done to my brain by mushrooms in particular.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 11-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #37 (permalink)

are there any women here?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
This may be the WORST advice I have ever seen given in the history of SLU. psilocybin mushrooms can be wonderful, and they can also be a living nightmare depending on your brain chemistry and background.

I say this as someone who spent most of the 2000-2004 experimenting (limitedly) with LSD, psilocybin mushrooms and MDMA and DMA. I have great hope for MDMA as once again taking its place as non controlled medicine. I am also spending years of therapy and medicine trying to undo the damage done to my brain by mushrooms in particular.
So you ignored the link to the article I posted, showing the scientific experiments going on regarding addiction, and how it's helping people?
io Kukulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #38 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
So you ignored the link to the article I posted, showing the scientific experiments going on regarding addiction, and how it's helping people?
Of course not! It is an interesting article and an interesting idea that has a loooong way to go before anyone should be encouraging an addict (or anyone) to "try" mushrooms. I can present twice as many articles arguing that the general consensus is that the effects of a mushroom experience can bring unknown psychological problems to the surface which could either be good, or a living nightmare. For me, the end result was years of panic attacks, depression, and hallucinations. Ironically, I had quit drinking by then mainly due to Al-Anon and AA and I don't find anything irrational or religious driven in how they work. I really can't make a call there. It indeed my have helped me in not drinking somehow, but it certainly was not worth the trade off.
I do think you and l agree that the FDA needs to lighten up and let these drugs be tested.

Last edited by Soda Sullivan; 11-14-2017 at 02:06 AM.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #39 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
I have learned the hard way (with my insurance company refusing to pay for a procedure "because of a pre-existing condition") to never, ever tell the doctors that I do anything except eat healthy and exercise. They will take what you tell them and multiply it times 10 and put it in your permanent record.

Now that your record is online it can even affect your work and financial well being (in other words, they can refuse you a loan because of an illness). HIPPA only protects the hospitals, not you. You actually have no medical privacy. (Another rant for another thread).
Unfortunately when you have a severe health condition it is in your best interest to tell your doctor everything. Whether you are getting enough sleep, how well you are eating, and so on.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed: