Hillary's Book: What Happened? - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Hillary's Book: What Happened?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Say what you want about her strategy but she (or any other candidate) should NEVER assume they will win!
I was Clinton Supporter over Sanders, and I still don't think Sanders could have beat Trump (yet), but he made Clinton a better candidate. But I took a lot of hits for criticising Clinton and warning against the "we got this" rhetoric.

Clinton had the better ideas and she actually possesses a soul, so obviously she would be the better President. However, I would wager that anyone who has run a presidential campaign would say she ran a decent campaign that made several key mistakes and was way too a confidant, and thus kind of lazy.

This book, at this time, just seems kind of desperate and will be perceived as "cashing in". I think John McCain, who has been there, had the best comment:

Quote:
McCain pointed out that he didn’t write a book after losing the 2008 presidential race.

“I respect and admire and am a friend of Hillary’s,” he said. “But with these kind of things that happen in life, you’ve got to move on. You’ve got to quickly move on.”
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 09-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
If it weren't for Moosilini and his economic pick (who was a heartless ideologue), McCain might have had my vote, based on his having more experience than Obama (historically, presidents with little or no political experience haven't done well).

I was wrong. Fortunately.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
IMHO I believe a Franken / Harris ticket would win decisively in 2020. Especially of Cheeto is still around.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #29 (permalink)
Woke Woman

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

If you're on Twitter, this short thread says a lot.

Twitter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #30 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh Lyric View Post
I supported Bernie in the primaries, but maybe he should remember that he, himself, LOST to the woman who lost to the most unpopular candidate in modern history. That doesn't really give a lot of room for him to throw a loss that she actually WON by 3 million votes, which was a historical popular vote win, in her face, now does it.

And from what I see on Unhack The Vote, I have doubts...as do many others...that she actually lost to anyone at all

I still feel it's arguable that Sanders didn't really lose to Clinton, the DNC was just too stuck on the idea of forcing her as a candidate and the whole "First Woman President meme" that they forgot to care about what people actually wanted. They threw down every obstruction to the idea of Sanders they could just to keep him down.

In my experience, in my area, which tends to be very Red, almost everyone wanted Sanders. I imagine most of them went trump though in the end, because it's a very Red area and the whole "Bernie or Bust" mindset.

It doesn't help that a lot of folks, especially the conspiracy minded type that supported Trump, are really tired of the Bush-Clinton Dynasty. There's been a Bush or a Clinton in the white house since like 1980, and in government for years before that.

I voted for Clinton, because I 100000% didn't want The Asshole, but if they had run pretty much anyone else, I probably would have voted for the Republican candidate over Clinton, and I've voted Democrat or Green for pretty much every office in every election I've ever voted in.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #31 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
the embrace of the professional class and the large scale abandonment of the working class,
A professional class is not an opposite of the working class.
Nor does looking for support from those with wealth mean you are abandoning the poor.
Where was this abandonment of the working class? What specifically could support this claim? I've asked this before and don't remember ever getting an answer.
Quote:
they'll support the idea of egalitarianism and democracy as long as it gets them votes but once in its back to the Military Industrial Complex and Big Everything.
We won't just suddenly stop being the military superpower that we are by someone's decision. A 'Military Industrial Complex' will exist for a long time and has to be managed by whoever is in office.
But simpleton analogies do seem to be popularly accepted. You run with them and I'll still call them out.

Quote:
Frankly, the Clintons need to shut up and go away.
The fact that years of public ridicule leads people to say this is the very reason it shouldn't happen.

Quote:
For decades it has been 'vote with us or you will get the big bad'. Well, we did and we got the big bad anyway.
You can't include everyone who got that message into the same group of we who did vote for Democrats. Obviously too many did NOT vote that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
She's the same person she was when she married Bill.

Social climbing.*

Gold digging.

Political climbing.

Gold digging.

Yup. Sounds about right.

*does not refer to the average social climber. Does refer to the type of "social climbing" the "well to do" do.
Except for 'political climbing', which is part of the job description and requirement in order to be effective, notice we don't use these terms when talking about males?
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 09-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #32 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
You might not. I do.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
You might not. I do.
Bullfuckingshit.

It's a classic example of how we subconsciously look at and apply different standards to women.
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 09-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcBrian View Post
Bullfuckingshit.

It's a classic example of how we subconsciously look at and apply different standards to women.
You do realize you are saying this to a woman, don't you?

Either way, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited by WolfEyes; 09-09-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #35 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
You do realize you are saying this to a woman, don't you?

Either way, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Yes, I realize you're a woman.
But no, I don't intend to sound mean-spirited although I can see it coming out that way.

We all do this at times. I still have to come to terms with some reactions myself, realizing that they can be disrespectful toward women. But it's not limited to men and I think we all should consider that we have some perspectives ingrained from society that we should be trying to change.
1 User Disagreed:
Old 09-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

You're still barking up the wrong tree. You're putting meaning into my words that aren't there. There was a reason I put the * in there.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #37 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
I wish we could move on from Clinton/Sanders (they lost) and individual people who should take their place, and think more on what the party itself should do. Should they stay their neo-liberal course? Should they veer into more social democratic seas? Should they not rock the boat and try to not scare away small c conservatives? What should they try and learn from this loss. Yes, I know +/-3 million, etc. but the last few elections have all been very close. What will they do differently next time?

I think people (general people) tend to focus too much on these people's personalities, and not enough on the party they represent. I really don't care if Clinton was a social climber with no pizzazz or whatever, or if people feel Sanders had no soul (?! lol) what did they (and others) do well, less well, and how can the Dems move forward? Maybe she adresses all this in her book, and if that's the case - wonderful. If she does go on and on about the unfairness of it all, even if it were all true, I'm not sure it's that helpful.
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 09-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Quote:
A professional class is not an opponent of the working class.
Nor does looking for support from those with wealth mean you are abandoning the poor.
Where was this abandonment of the working class? What specifically could support this claim? I've asked this before and don't remember ever getting an answer.
You can't win a national campaign in America without seeking the support of the wealthier. Period. That does not mean you are abandoning the poor, but I think I can answer your question.

Hillary did not so much abandon the working class as much as she took them for granted. The struggle of local campaign offices in Michigan and Illinois to get help from the national campaign has been reported on numerous times.

While her website touted very well thought out programs to help the working class, her campaign speeches were more about Donald Trump and progressive issues, more bread butter issues like college and the economy. That changed later on and she received most of the working class vote, but she ended up losing just enough of them to tip the scales in Trump's favor
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #39 (permalink)

i haven't read the book myself yet, but what excerpts I have read and the commentary from those who have, show that Ms Clinton acknowledges and accepts responsibility for all of the decisions that were wrong made during her campaign, and admits her own flaws and failings

and also discusses all the external factors that impacted on her campaign. What was helpful to her campaign and what wasn't

where I think some people who have got irritated over this, is that while Ms Clinton accepts responsibility for her campaign and her own failings and flaws, she makes no apology for being herself, flaws and all. She refuses to wear the sack-cloth. And for this refusal I think good on her
irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 09-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #40 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
think more on what the party itself should do
I would LOVE to see both major parties self-destruct, especially after last year. In return we can get parties like they have in the more advanced countries: a real left wing and actual fiscal conservatives.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
I would LOVE to see both major parties self-destruct, especially after last year. In return we can get parties like they have in the more advanced countries: a real left wing and actual fiscal conservatives.
is interesting this

from my own NZ observation/experience

there is alway at least one (sometimes two) major party (broad church) of the centre-right and same of the centre-left. Here is National | Labour. USA Republican | Democratic

when there are other parties then NZ parallel

Right: ACT (libertarian), NZ First (authoritarian), Conservative (evangelical)
Centre Right: TOP (libertarian/neoliberal), National (broad church)
Centre: Maori Party (kaupapa maori), United Future (liberal)
Centre Left: Labour (broad church), Green, Mana party (mana maori), Peoples Party (immigrant focused)
Left: There are no purely Left parties at the moment that have an effective impact on the electorate

Left activists who do know how to engage successfully in parliamentary politics tend to gravitate to identity and issues based parties where they feel they can make a difference in advancing their Left ideals within those parties. (as do the Right activists on their side of the spectrum)

which allows the broad church party of the centre-left (Labour) to position itself further toward the Centre than the Left which is the case when all centre-left activists are in the same broad church party. Same for broad church party of the centre-right (National)

the salutary lesson for the issue and identity parties (in NZ) of Centre, Left and Right parties is that the broad church parties when in government just stare down the smaller parties on their side of the spectrum

it goes: Look we agree on pretty much 90% of everything so lets do that together. About the 10% where we dont agree then lets talk about that further. When the smaller party says we want to action a 10% item we hold dear to ourselves, then they get the stare down: Are you going to bring down a government that has willingly given to your constituency 90% of what your party wants ?

where it gets worse for the small party (as has happened here at times) is that if they dont get any 10% out of it or only a scrap of bone maybe, then some of their own constituencies, being purists, see them as lapdogs. At the next election these supporters cant see any point in voting for them again and vote elsewhere

for the two major parties then they are always organising on both sides of their spectrum. Breaking the vote of the identity and issues parties on their side of spectrum while preaching togetherness, and trying to capture enough centre voters to secure the government benches

so far here in NZ we have had Labour under Helen Clark do this successfully for 9 years. Followed by National under John Key for 9 years also. We have an election in 2 weeks. Both broad church parties have new leadership teams. And the centre-left has a very real chance of winning since 9 years. Hope so
irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #42 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
Hillary did not so much abandon the working class as much as she took them for granted. The struggle of local campaign offices in Michigan and Illinois to get help from the national campaign has been reported on numerous times.

While her website touted very well thought out programs to help the working class, her campaign speeches were more about Donald Trump and progressive issues, more bread butter issues like college and the economy. That changed later on and she received most of the working class vote, but she ended up losing just enough of them to tip the scales in Trump's favor
Taking some votes for granted was a campaign failure, I agree. It still wasn't the working class as a whole, it was the uninformed.
But the accusation I was addressing wasn't aimed at the campaign. In context, it was a baseless complaint of the party's platform toward the working class.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:28 PM   #43 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Quote:
Taking some votes for granted was a campaign failure, I agree. It still wasn't the working class as a whole, it was the uninformed.
But the accusation I was addressing wasn't aimed at the campaign. In context, it was a baseless complaint of the party's platform toward the working class.
To argue that the Democratic party's platform somehow ignores the working class would be insane. The problem is that 90% of the working class could not tell you what is in the party platform
Old 09-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #44 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
A tale of two leaders of the left: New books by Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton emphasize their differences - Salon.com

Interesting article discussing the differences between HRC's new book and Sanders' new book.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Like This:
Old 09-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #45 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
I wish we could move on from Clinton/Sanders (they lost) and individual people who should take their place, and think more on what the party itself should do. Should they stay their neo-liberal course? Should they veer into more social democratic seas? Should they not rock the boat and try to not scare away small c conservatives? What should they try and learn from this loss. Yes, I know +/-3 million, etc. but the last few elections have all been very close. What will they do differently next time?

I think people (general people) tend to focus too much on these people's personalities, and not enough on the party they represent. I really don't care if Clinton was a social climber with no pizzazz or whatever, or if people feel Sanders had no soul (?! lol) what did they (and others) do well, less well, and how can the Dems move forward? Maybe she adresses all this in her book, and if that's the case - wonderful. If she does go on and on about the unfairness of it all, even if it were all true, I'm not sure it's that helpful.
^^ this, times 1000.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #46 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Quote:
A professional class is not an opposite of the working class.
Except they did abandon the working class the most obvious expression of this is NAFTA for Clinton, W, the abject failure to prosecute Wall Street for crimes that invariably left the working class in tatters and ended up rewarding the very people who caused the issue under Obama, and Clinton's "For TPP but now I'm against it" stance that never came about.

Quote:
I addressed this above but how about Clinton and Obama's continued push for neoliberal Free Trade agreements, those of which have continually to be found not only to economically disadvantage those in the US but through typical rent-seeking ends up exploiting the working classes in cheaper labor markets. Combine that with the effects of pushing more and more wealth to the top. Trade union participation between Clinton - Obama fell from 22% participation to 12% with no reversals, whatsoever, from Bush era policies which by ideology are going to be anti-union/anti-worker. Of course considering that the wealth of their contributions came from Wall Street, it becomes even harder to argue with the perception of the Captive Democrat.

Then you also can't ignore the DNC and the Democratic Leadership council larger embrace of a "post-industrial, global economy" mere moments after the abandonment of Glass Steagall, or the Obama era paean to corporate America also known as the Affordable Care Act. Sure, there are many "good intentions" but the overall beneficiaries of Democratic action in the past twenty years has fallen firmly on corporate America, not on the workers of America.

Quote:
We won't just suddenly stop being the military superpower that we are by someone's decision. A 'Military Industrial Complex' will exist for a long time and has to be managed by whoever is in office.
But simpleton analogies do seem to be popularly accepted. You run with them and I'll still call them out.
So sitting on your laurels and kvetching sounds like a wonderful way to handle things.

Quote:
The fact that years of public ridicule leads people to say this is the very reason it shouldn't happen.
Public ridicule has nothing to do with it. Its the sad need to assert their own self-importance as the crowned family of the Democrats, their toxicity when it comes to many, many voters, and the half-assed lip service to progressive ideals.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #47 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Quote:

Considering the large number of young and progressive voters that could be available to the party, perhaps focusing on these might be a step in the right direction.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #48 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
It would seem that your system works against that. From the supreme court decision on super-pacs to the influence state governments have on electoral districts.

I have wondered to what extent the fact you have a presidential republic, rather than a parliamentary republic, influences the intransigence of the parties, GOP in particular.
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #49 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Another suggestion might be the kind of labor movement that completely brought the country to its feet during the golden age of labor movements. Want corporate influence out of politics? Yes please and perhaps the best way to do that is to build realistic, alter-globalization efforts that can compete power wise to force legislative change...

Quote:
In the 1800s unions and cooperatives were part of the same movement. Today once again, unions are collaborating with cooperatives to save jobs, create new ones, and organize new members.

From the early days of the labor movement, as John Curl makes clear in his excellent book For All the People: Uncovering the Hidden History of Cooperation, Cooperative Movements, and Communalism in America, union members saw cooperatives as vital to their struggle. Unions and cooperatives were part of a growing labor movement that also included myriad political parties, mutual aid societies, fraternal organizations, and secret worker associations.

The 1800s were a period of tremendous change, as the economy shifted from agrarian and skilled artisan production to industrial capitalism relying on wage labor. Many workers who had direct experience or family history with pre-capitalist ways of work regarded working for wages as “wage slavery.” So cooperatives, with their democratic practices and ownership, offered an attractive alternative to the fast-growing sweatshop economy.
Unions and Worker Co-ops, Old Allies, Are Joining Forces Again | Labor Notes
Old 09-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #50 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Just to address the comment about paying attention to Sanders; he is still a Senator, you know the position that our founding fathers considered so important as to make terms last 6 years, and where early presidents would often go to 'Retire'? He's still actively fighting for us, and is working teaching younger generations how to navigate the system, and how to fight [to improve] it.

So, you know, I'm not sure why we should toss him onto the dustbin of history -just yet-.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This: