Equifax has been hacked - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Equifax has been hacked

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Equifax has been hacked

This is some scary news.

"The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver’s license numbers. In addition, credit card numbers for approximately 209,000 U.S. consumers, and certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers, were accessed"

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

You can find out if you have had your data stolen from this security breach. https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/potential-impact/
Georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Fuck.

Katheryne Helendale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Execs dumped stock before going public.

lol
Old 09-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do not sign up for the service that Equifax is offering.

"Equifax says that this site will “indicate whether your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.” That is false as of this post’s publication. The company also says it will provide the checker with an “option” to enroll in TrustedID Premier. That’s also false. When a user inputs their data into the system, a message appears that the user can be enrolled in TrustedID Premier at a later date. Mine was 9/11/2017.
This is completely irresponsible by Equifax.
The site’s terms of service seem to state that by agreeing to use this service, the user is waving their rights to bring a class action lawsuit against Equifax."

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/07/eq...-than-answers/

That is a sneaky thing for this company to do.
Georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown View Post

"Equifax says that this site will “indicate whether your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.” That is false as of this post’s publication. The company also says it will provide the checker with an “option” to enroll in TrustedID Premier. That’s also false. When a user inputs their data into the system, a message appears that the user can be enrolled in TrustedID Premier at a later date. Mine was 9/11/2017.
The site’s terms of service seem to state that by agreeing to use this service, the user is waving their rights to bring a class action lawsuit against Equifax."

I don't quite understand TechCrunch's point there. They don't indicate what part of the agreement they mean, but on the face of it, you're being asked to waive your rights to bring a class action lawsuit resulting from disputes that may arise from the agreement with TrustedID Inc (a company owned by Equifax) that you're contemplating signing up to.

Quite possibly I'm missing a crucial point there, but I don't see anything in the agreement, admittedly after a very quick read, that might compromise your rights to participate in a class action lawsuit against Equifax (not TrustedID inc) concerning events that predate your agreement with TrustedID Inc.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:

Not to mention that they give you a future date (9/13/2017 for me) and you are supposed to go to https://faq.trustedidpremier.com/ on that date to sign up. With no reminders after that. What do you think the odds are that most people who want to sign up will forget?

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 09-07-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2005
Client: Official client
Eh, my credit rating only has one direction to go anyway, and that would be an improvement.
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 09-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

It asks for part of your SSN, not your whole SSN, and your last name.

Unless they ask you to read and acknowledge the T&C before you enter your info, it's vanishingly unlikely that any court would even consider the T&C to restrict your ability to file a lawsuit. Signing up for the service, perhaps, but not just checking your status.

In addition, that article says "Equifax says that this site will “indicate whether your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.” That is false as of this post’s publication." but provides no information as to why they claim it's false, not even a link to another story.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
I tried to see if I was impacted. I never got a yes or no, just a date that I can sign up (the 14th of the month). There was no notice about agreeing to TOS or anything.

It was supposed to be a simple check, a notation that they will offer a free service to continue monitoring (most companies that are hacked, do this).

So I still don't know if I was affected by it or not. The only thing I know is that I can sign up for free monitoring on the 14th. But I don't know if it's based on whether or not my stuff was stolen because I DON'T KNOW IF MY STUFF WAS STOLEN BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TELL ME!
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 09-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

As I understand it from the Equifax website, if Equifax think your details have been compromised, they are contacting you direct.

Quote:
In addition to the [TrustedID] website, Equifax will send direct mail notices to consumers whose credit card numbers or dispute documents with personal identifying information were impacted. Equifax also is in the process of contacting U.S. state and federal regulators and has sent written notifications to all U.S. state attorneys general, which includes Equifax contact information for regulator inquiries.
The TrustedID service seems to be a monitoring service, which will, if you sign up to it, keep you informed of any potentially suspicious developments to any of your credit cards and so on, like people running credit checks or taking out new cards in your name.

I subscribe to a similar service in the UK. Most of the time I don't hear from them, apart from a monthly announcement that there have been no suspicious developments, but if I take out a new credit agreement, I receive notifications that someone has run a credit check on me (and that I've entered into the agreement, if I did), so I can get in touch with them if the transaction arouses my suspicions.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
As I understand it from the Equifax website, if Equifax think your details have been compromised, they are contacting you direct.

The TrustedID service seems to be a monitoring service, which will, if you sign up to it, keep you informed of any potentially suspicious developments to any of your credit cards and so on, like people running credit checks or taking out new cards in your name.

I subscribe to a similar service in the UK. Most of the time I don't hear from them, apart from a monthly announcement that there have been no suspicious developments, but if I take out a new credit agreement, I receive notifications that someone has run a credit check on me (and that I've entered into the agreement, if I did), so I can get in touch with them if the transaction arouses my suspicions.
totally agree but this is the link that people were sent to in order to check their status: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/potential-impact/

Quote:
See if your personal information is potentially impacted.

To determine if your personal information may have been impacted by this incident, please follow the below steps:

Click on the below link, “Check Potential Impact,” and provide your last name and the last six digits of your Social Security number.
Based on that information, you will receive a message indicating whether your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.
Regardless of whether your information may have been impacted, we will provide you the option to enroll in TrustedID Premier. You will receive an enrollment date. You should return to this site and follow the “How do I enroll?” instructions below on or after that date to continue the enrollment and activation process. The enrollment period ends on Tuesday, November 21, 2017.
That's really the problem people are having. But yes, shame on me for not digging into their site a bit more to read their full disclosure on this hack and what all it entails.

It's not actually enrolling me in to anything, it's simply meant to tell me directly if I am or am not affected and it's not telling me anything other then an enrollment date and nothing on that page itself states anything about being also contacted by mail. (again, I and everyone else should have dug a bit deeper but EF should also have been explicit that this was not a necessary step and they would mail us directly)

editing to add, it's also not quickly pointing out that by doing this quick step, I cannot go after them for any reason should I have been compromised. Again, I and everyone else should have dug deeper but at the same time, I think they are being complete jerks with not fully disclosing what the outcome of using their quick tool will be)
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
I spent a good deal of yesterday evening on this, trying to get a human being on the phone to give me the information the site was supposed to (but didn't).
The contact number given on the site hung up on me twice, and when I got a person she said she couldn't access the info and gave me an 800 number to call which turned out not even to be Equifax (some health insurance company, wtf?). I found another customer service number for Equifax to call, and after a very long time on hold they couldn't tell me either. The first number was supposed to actually have people who knew wtf was going on after 8:30 pm EST, but by that time I didn't trust anything they had to say. I checked my credit report and then renewed my ID protection which I have through GEICO. I figure it's worth a few bucks a month to have a number I can call for help and actually get a human who knows what they're doing ) or is willing to ask their supervisor if they don't).
Also I put a fraud alert on my account just in case.
I didn't see anything about agreeing not to sue Equifax or their ID protection service when I tried to check if if been affected. I don't intend to sign up for their service anyway because it's like asking the fox to guard the henhouse, isn't it? So any class action suit, I'm in.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2006
Business: [e bar]
Client: FS

Quote:
This is some scary news.

"The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver’s license numbers. In addition, credit card numbers for approximately 209,000 U.S. consumers, and certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers, were accessed"
https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

You can find out if you have had your data stolen from this security breach. https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/potential-impact/
When I clicked that second link out of curiosity, I got a "Dangerous Website" warning from Mcafee. ?
Ellen Cordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
It asks for part of your SSN, not your whole SSN, and your last name.
Of course they should know that is actually enough to get most SSNs for people that submitted their info. A large amount of people are currently living near where they were born and guess how the first 3 digits are assigned? Between those 6 digits and the last name (which they also ask for) someone who sees the info has enough to determine some of the submissions. Way to go equifax.
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Harley View Post
it's also not quickly pointing out that by doing this quick step, I cannot go after them for any reason should I have been compromised
That's because it's not true.

Even with "contract of adhesion" terms of service, you have to do more than that for them to have effect.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
So today the site gives me the info that my information "may have been impacted" or words to that effect. And yes, it's confirmed that if you sign up for their free credit monitoring for a year is in the terms that you agree not to sue. Here it is as posted on Twitter

That's only if you agree to their service, though.

Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

I'm not talking about signing up for anything. I'm talking about checking if your information was in the exposed database. Using that service doesn't bind you to anything.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana View Post
So today the site gives me the info that my information "may have been impacted" or words to that effect. And yes, it's confirmed that if you sign up for their free credit monitoring for a year is in the terms that you agree not to sue. Here it is as posted on Twitter

That's only if you agree to their service, though.

And it refers only to disputes you may have with TrustedID as a result of using their service, not to any disputes you may have with Equifax as -- for example -- a result of their negligence in storing your personal data.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
If you put your info in (last name only and last 6 digits of SSN) you will get notification if you were affected.

You do not have to sign up for TrustedID Premier if you already have coverage. You can keep your current if you so choose. Or if you subscribe with Equifax you can cancel that sub and get the TrustedID instead since it is free for one year.

Once you get the date, if you want TrustedID, on or after that date you need to go back to the equifaxsecurity2017.com site and complete (yes complete) the enrollment. If you don't want the TrustedID, do nothing and the info will drop out of the system.

How do I know this? I'm back at work at Epiq and this is the contract I am on.

And thanks to some jackasses on social media we now can only end the calls with "Thank you for calling." I can no longer say "I hope your day gets better." So thanks a lot for making my job fucking harder than it already is. At least I can still show that I can and do empathize by telling the caller that I have been a victim of identity theft (which is true) and letting them know what I went through. So far. I figure fucking social media will fuck that up too by Monday morning.

Innula is correct.

Yes, the website is a bit misleading. Equifax should be aware of the problem now and hopefully they will do something about it because nearly every call I got today was about exactly that and the info has been passed on.

That's all I have to say about it.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana View Post
I don't intend to sign up for their service anyway because it's like asking the fox to guard the henhouse, isn't it? So any class action suit, I'm in.
Here you go:

Equifax Faces Multibillion-Dollar Lawsuit Over Hack - Bloomberg

Quote:
A proposed class-action lawsuit was filed against Equifax Inc. late Thursday evening, shortly after the company reported that an unprecedented hack had compromised the private information of about 143 million people.

In the complaint filed in Portland, Ore., federal court, users alleged Equifax was negligent in failing to protect consumer data, choosing to save money instead of spending on technical safeguards that could have stopped the attack. Data revealed included Social Security numbers, addresses, driver’s license data, and birth dates. Some credit card information was also put at risk.

Equifax first discovered the vulnerability in late July, though it chose not to announce it publicly until more than a month later. The company was widely criticized for its customer service approach in the aftermath of the hack, as users struggled to understand whether their information had been affected. Others expressed frustration that three senior executives sold about $1.8 million in stock in the days following the discovery of the hack. A spokeswoman for Equifax said the men “had no knowledge that an intrusion had occurred at the time.”
Quote:
The case was filed by the firm Olsen Daines PC along with Geragos & Geragos, a celebrity law firm known for blockbuster class actions. Ben Meiselas, an attorney for Geragos, said the class will seek as much as $70 billion in damages nationally.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cordeaux View Post
When I clicked that second link out of curiosity, I got a "Dangerous Website" warning from Mcafee. ?
False positive. The site is as safe as any other website.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #22 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Equifax has been lobbying Congress to eliminate consumer protections for victims of data breaches
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
2 Users Said WTF?:
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

By the way... I didn't go directly to the link, I went to the Equifax website and followed links from there to the test site.

That's the best way to be sure that the site is safe. What the "dangerous website" warning tells you is:

1. The site has been reported and blacklisted, or
2. Someone fucked something up in the site setup.

And it's usually #2. It's still not 100%, there have been occasional cases of idiot web devs linking accidentally to domain squatters instead of their own website... but they rarely stay broken for very long unless the site is super obscure and rarely used.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
I'm not talking about signing up for anything. I'm talking about checking if your information was in the exposed database. Using that service doesn't bind you to anything.
They've clarified that on their equifaxsecurity2017 page (bolding mine):
Quote:
We understand that some consumers are experiencing difficulties getting the answers and support they need through our website and call center. Ramping up the website and call center to handle the anticipated volume is ongoing and we are focused on making improvements as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this process has created.

Thus far today, we’ve made the following adjustments:

1). YOU CAN DETERMINE YOUR STATUS IMMEDIATELY
Some consumers who visited the website soon after its launch failed to receive confirmation clarifying whether or not they were potentially impacted. That issue is now resolved, and we encourage those consumers to revisit the site to receive a response that clarifies their status.

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

3). EXPANDED OUR CALL CENTER
We have tripled our call center team to over 2000 agents and continue to add agents.

Our goal is to make this process as convenient and consistent as possible. We will continue to identify steps to improve this process.

And we will continue as well to listen to your comments and suggestions.
Katheryne Helendale is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
They've clarified that on their equifaxsecurity2017 page (bolding mine):
Yes, although as one article pointed out, some text from their marketing department means nothing legally. All that matters is if they have actually removed the text from their tos.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote