Equifax has been hacked - Page 5 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Equifax has been hacked

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #101 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Arkright View Post
Sorry, I quoted the wrong part of your post in that reply, I was referring to you saying:
In the case of the Brit data, US SSN's are irrelevant as the data was purely Brit data copied to the USA 'by mistake'.

Agreed.
Now that I can't argue with.

And of course, they are trying to pass the buck off onto a single employee, rather than take the responsibility as they should do.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/b...ta-breach.html

I'm looking for the website I found a while back that keeps track of data breaches. I only went back as far as 2006 but from what I saw, Equifax has been hacked at least once a year since 2006. I'll post the link when I find it again.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #102 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Still looking for that link. I'm probably not going to find it now. Wish I had bookmarked the damn thing instead of being pissed and letting it go.

I did run across this in my searching though:

Lifelock Offers Equifax Breach Protection -- from Equifax | NewsFactor Network

Quote:
Lifelock has been going to town on the Equifax breach, with ads and press releases trumpeting how the breach proves how valuable its own services (cost: up to $29.99 a month) can be to protect you from identity theft.

"A major credit bureau just experienced a breach potentially impacting 143 million people," the firm says on its web page. "Don't wait to get identity theft protection." An executive of Symantec, Lifelock's parent company, told Bloomberg that since the Equifax breach was reported, LifeLock's web traffic has increased six-fold and enrollments per hour are running 10 times ahead of the pre-Equifax era. "Most are paying the full price, rather than discounts," the executive said. "It's a really incredible response from the market."

Here's what Lifelock isn't advertising so widely: When you buy its protection, you're signing up for credit reporting and monitoring services provided by, yes, Equifax.

Lifelock signed a four-year contract with Equifax in December 2015, with the services to start the following April. As far as Lifelock's disclosures indicate, the relationship is still active. Lifelock's terms of service, a small-print 6,000-word document on its website, lists Equifax Consumer Services LLC as one of its "service providers." It specifies that as a Lifelock customer you're authorizing Equifax "to obtain your consumer report information, including your credit information, from the personal credit report" maintained by itself and its fellow credit reporting firms, Experian and TransUnion. This enables Equifax to generate a FICO-like credit score for you and to "locate" your credit reports in the three firms' records. Lifelock hasn't responded to my request for comment on its relationship with Equifax and the latter's role in providing services to Lifelock customers. If and when it does, this post will be updated.

But this may also require you to hand over to Equifax personal data it might not have acquired through its relationships with banks and credit card issuers, the usual sources of the data in your credit report. That's according to Jeff Bell, the CEO of LegalShield, a Lifelock competitor. LegalShield buys the same services that Lifelock gets from Equifax, but buys them from Experian instead. As it happens, Lifelock used to buy these services from TransUnion, until switching over to Equifax.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 10-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #103 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
I'm looking for the website I found a while back that keeps track of data breaches. I only went back as far as 2006 but from what I saw, Equifax has been hacked at least once a year since 2006. I'll post the link when I find it again.
Whether it was one person (dubious) or not the fact is they were penetrated because of a software bug. A company with a profile and a history like them WILL be a constant target. Given that it is pretty much malpractice not to have a whole security team doing constant security testing of their network.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #104 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Maybe this would work for credit agencies too:
Old 10-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #105 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Whether it was one person (dubious) or not the fact is they were penetrated because of a software bug. A company with a profile and a history like them WILL be a constant target. Given that it is pretty much malpractice not to have a whole security team doing constant security testing of their network.
The site I was looking for had all data breaches in the US recorded on it going back well before 2006, not just the ones for Equifax.

I know all that. Why do you think I have no credit cards, no loans, no credit of any kind? For the same reason I refuse to sign up for the TrustedID. I don't trust ANY of the credit reporting agencies with my data. I never have. So I either save up for something or I do without.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 10-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #106 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
"The Monopoly Man" was a hit at the hearing:
Twitter

... At least, according to Twitter. LOL

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Romana; 10-04-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #107 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Just with social engineering there are plenty of ways to get information and into places that should be off-limits. While my own ethics and morals would have prevented me from doing anything illegal I know enough about hacking and security to know how prevalent REALLY bad security is that people trust.

Given multiple factors I have no choice but that my info is out there. I do not always trust the places that hold my data but they did not give me a say in the matter. No matter how extreme you go all it takes is one person not respecting your data privacy selections.
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #108 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

I was just trying to give others the benefit of my experience with having had my ID stolen (two years ago) and having worked the Equifax contract. Apparently, I'm not helping anyone so I'm just going to bow out and put this thread on ignore.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 10-04-2017, 11:37 PM   #109 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Quote:
I was just trying to give others the benefit of my experience with having had my ID stolen (two years ago) and having worked the Equifax contract. Apparently, I'm not helping anyone so I'm just going to bow out and put this thread on ignore.

I'm finding it helpful. I'm not in a position to take any actions right now, but I have clearer idea of the lay of the land.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #110 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
You are helping wolfie! I hope I did not give that impression, I was just saying that once you know how fragile information security is you realize it only takes one breach and going completely off the grid 100.000% is not always an option.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-12-2017, 02:51 AM   #111 (permalink)

Equifax website hacked again, this time to redirect to fake Flash update
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #112 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
And of course, they are trying to pass the buck off onto a single employee, rather than take the responsibility as they should do.
Best response to that I've seen is that this is like a business saying they didn't pay their taxes because a clerk forgot to buy stamps.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #113 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
The entire credit reporting industry is wrought with payoffs, hacks and ethics violations. All I can say is that it's my personal opinion that Americans need to complain vociferously and to push congress to start regulating them and require them to have more transparency.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...s-cfpb/512162/

https://epic.org/privacy/junk_mail/richardson.html

https://link.springer.com/article/10...551-016-3052-7

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0c2ab94436bd6

https://www.propublica.org/article/e...s-of-thousands

It's just a matter of time before the other two agencies are hacked if they haven't been already.

Disgusting.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #114 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Equifax rival TransUnion also sends site visitors to malicious pages
Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #115 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
New name for the company: Equihax.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #116 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
After second bungle, IRS suspends Equifax's "taxpayer identity" contract | Ars Technica
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Thanks :