Equifax has been hacked - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Equifax has been hacked

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #51 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Well... Shit. So much for breathing easier.
They say 143 million people, so the odds of being breached for anyone in the US are about half. Just assume any US resident has had their data exposed, I am not even sure why they have this thing to supposedly check anyway given those numbers.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
They say 143 million people, so the odds of being breached for anyone in the US are about half. Just assume any US resident has had their data exposed, I am not even sure why they have this thing to supposedly check anyway given those numbers.

It is hard to know if the Equifax checker is just a PR placebo or if there are some valid aspects to it. Since it is such a huge data breach maybe it is purely based on the last 6 digits and the last name has no effect. But if Equifax just had people checking the last 6 and not the name, people would be all irate about that since 6 digits does not even come close to the 9 digit number of people potentially compromised. However, it is possible that the 6 digit range is all that is really needed to cover who has and has not been compromised.
Tranquility too is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #53 (permalink)

SL Join Date: April 2006
Business: [e bar]
Client: FS

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
We're considering freezing our credit reports with all 3 agencies since we aren't looking to get any new credit cards or loans in the near future. At this point, I'm not sure what else to do to safeguard.
For the same reason we went ahead and froze ours.

Mrs. Ellen had no issues with all three agencies but I am having a hell of a time getting stupid Equifax freeze to go through. No issues at all with TransUnion or Experian. I think I will have to mail a hard copy request which annoys me.
Ellen Cordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #54 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility too View Post

It is hard to know if the Equifax checker is just a PR placebo or if there are some valid aspects to it. Since it is such a huge data breach maybe it is purely based on the last 6 digits and the last name has no effect. But if Equifax just had people checking the last 6 and not the name, people would be all irate about that since 6 digits does not even come close to the 9 digit number of people potentially compromised. However, it is possible that the 6 digit range is all that is really needed to cover who has and has not been compromised.
It is valid and the 6 digits and last name are all that is needed.

However you will not get a definite yes it will always say "MAY have been". Key word being "may", of course.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #55 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cordeaux View Post
For the same reason we went ahead and froze ours.

Mrs. Ellen had no issues with all three agencies but I am having a hell of a time getting stupid Equifax freeze to go through. No issues at all with TransUnion or Experian. I think I will have to mail a hard copy request which annoys me.
Approximately 143 million people are all trying to use the website and phone lines at the same time. You'd be running slow too if you were being slammed that hard.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
It is valid and the 6 digits and last name are all that is needed.

However you will not get a definite yes it will always say "MAY have been". Key word being "may", of course.
Looks like you may have missed Wanda's post, which is what I was referring to when I said it was hard to know if their checker is placebo or valid.

Tranquility too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #57 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility too View Post
Looks like you may have missed Wanda's post, which is what I was referring to when I said it was hard to know if their checker is placebo or valid.
I didn't miss it. I'm one of the ones who has to answer the phone calls about this fucking mess for Equifax.

Misinformation makes my job that much harder and it's hard enough as it is.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 09-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #58 (permalink)

I entered my name and digits
"Thank You

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident. "

I wonder if this is a generic response. I hope it is. This will be the third time that I have had my personal information leaked in the past ten years.
Georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Approximately 143 million people are all trying to use the website and phone lines at the same time. You'd be running slow too if you were being slammed that hard.
I'm aware of that. No less annoying.

Also since they knew about the breech a full month before WE did, they should have set up additional lines, servers or whatever is appropriate to handle the massive onslaught they no doubt knew they were going to get hit with. A month is long enough to do so I'm told by Mrs. Ellen who does that kind of work.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown View Post
I entered my name and digits
"Thank You

Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident. "

I wonder if this is a generic response. I hope it is. This will be the third time that I have had my personal information leaked in the past ten years.
That means that your information was accessible but it is not known if anyone accessed it.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #61 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Man, that LifeLock outfit has been spamming with freaking gusto ever since this broke.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #62 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
I'm aware of that. No less annoying.

Also since they knew about the breech a full month before WE did, they should have set up additional lines, servers or whatever is appropriate to handle the massive onslaught they no doubt knew they were going to get hit with. A month is long enough to do so I'm told by Mrs. Ellen who does that kind of work.
They did set up additional lines. They hired us. Three locations. Beaverton, Phoenix and Tampa. Tampa was shut down until this past Monday because of Irma.

Don't get me wrong. I am in no way, shape or form defending Equifax. It's a pretty sleazy outfit. But like other crimes, it's been under investigation and because of the legalities surrounding investigations they can't always notify immediately, in addition to having to keep things under wraps when they have a suspect/suspects and don't want to spook them.

I've been seeing articles that claim Equifax knew about a security update for the software they use 2 months before the breach but never bothered to install it. I don't know if that is true or not but if it is... Katie bar the door because all hell is about to break loose.

Anyway, trying to call Equifax directly (customer service) isn't going to happen. The phone system was so overloaded it shut down and the websites aren't fairing much better. Even Experian and TransUnion are being slammed with credit report freeze requests.

It's a bigger mess than people realize and Equifax isn't doing anything to make it better. In fact, they are making things worse by not allowing us to actually help people with the information they need. Basically all we can do now is direct people to the website which really sucks because I'm not there to help Equifax. It really rankles to be told to do my job by not doing my job.
3 Users Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #63 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
That means that your information was accessible but it is not known if anyone accessed it.
Not quite. It means your info MAY (keyword) be in the wind but no one has actually used it yet.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #64 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Equifax data breach and credit freeze: Beware these 3 scams

Quote:
The Federal Trade Commission warned Thursday that it expected a new wave of imposter scams, with con artists posing as representatives of Equifax "calling to verify your account information." Given that Equifax is providing free credit monitoring and credit freezes in wake of its data breach, the call may sound legitimate, the agency warned. But don't ever provide any privy information over the phone.

[...]

The best advice after the Equifax breach is to assume any such communication is suspect. If you get an email from your bank, broker or credit card issuer and believe it's legitimate, visit the company's website or call their toll-free number. Do not click on the link.

Last edited by WolfEyes; 09-16-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:15 AM   #65 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Also since they knew about the breech a full month before WE did, they should have set up additional lines, servers or whatever is appropriate to handle the massive onslaught they no doubt knew they were going to get hit with.
From what I read, it (allegedly*) looks like they were too busy selling their shares before the shit hit the fan to do anything like that.

* taking no chances...
Arkady Arkright is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #66 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Not quite. It means your info MAY (keyword) be in the wind but no one has actually used it yet.
So Equifax knows what was copied out?

Otherwise what you wrote is the same as what I wrote.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #67 (permalink)
Neko-licious™

*SLU Supporter*

Crumpet Khaleesi

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/8/06

Awards: 2
Uber Rare Teal Furby 
I managed to get all of mine frozen online, although TransUnion was a little annoying because it makes you register for an account with them first.

Oh, and the lesser known 4th credit reporting agency, Innovis, will let you freeze for free, if you want to cover all of your bases.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #68 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Elizabeth Warren Goes After Equifax Over Hack – Mother Jones
Quote:
“Credit reporting agencies like Equifax make billions of dollars collecting and selling personal data about consumers without their consent, and then make consumers pay if they want to stop the sharing of their own data,” Sen. Warren said in a press release. “Our bill gives consumers more control over their own personal data and prohibits companies like Equifax from charging consumers for freezing and unfreezing access to their credit files. Passing this bill is a first step toward reforming the broken credit reporting industry.”

Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #69 (permalink)

Update: Working Equifax CSR Phone Number: 1-888-298-0045

I was finally able to confirm my credit freeze went through. I pulled this number off of someone's post on the equifax FB page. The CSR told me my pin would arrive 10-15 business days. So I'm relieved about that, but I do have another gripe.

I made a point to be very pleasant cuz I know they are dealing with some angry callers. But the lady I was talking to became obviously annoyed when I asked her to repeat most of the info slower so I could process it.

Well Miss CSR Lady, I am SO SORRY I process a little slower. I have to ask various CSR at least a couple of times a month to slow the hell down (geezuz why do the young folk talk so damn fast??) Plus she had a very thick accent so those things together = me saying, 'I'm sorry wut?'

She got all snotty "M'am I've already said that twice" and I wanted to snatch her bald though the phone. I made myself keep it together and calmly told her "I'm having trouble understanding you, please don't take it personally" and she calmed the F down after that.

It's not my fault you got hired to deal with a bunch of buzzing angry bees lady; complain to your boss.

/end old lady rant.

Last edited by Ellen Cordeaux; 09-18-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: put phone number on top
Old 09-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #70 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

She can't if she doesn't work for Equifax.

Well, she could but it won't do a damn bit of good other than maybe get her fired. Most of us answering the phone do NOT work for Equifax. We work for companies that are hired by Equifax.

I do agree that she needn't have been so rude about it. But that comes from the fact that I have high frequency hearing loss as well as tinnitus so I have to ask people to repeat multiple times over the phone.

All I can say is, if you had had to deal with some of the people I've had to deal with, you would never own a phone or cell phone again much less ever talk on the phone again.

Yes, it has been that bad and worse.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #71 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Equifax was reportedly hacked almost five months before its first disclosed date
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #72 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
We reached out to an Equifax spokesperson for additional information and will update the post when we hear back.

I would be shocked to hear that they actually got a call back.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #73 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Update: Working Equifax CSR Phone Number: 1-888-298-0045

I was finally able to confirm my credit freeze went through. I pulled this number off of someone's post on the equifax FB page. The CSR told me my pin would arrive 10-15 business days. So I'm relieved about that, but I do have another gripe.
Did you get that email they say in the on-line form you should be getting to finalize the process of setting up their credit check?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:28 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Did you get that email they say in the on-line form you should be getting to finalize the process of setting up their credit check?
I'm not sure what you mean. I was never able to get through the online process. I'm not using their credit monitoring as i already have that elsewhere. She gave me a confirmation number and said to look for my pin in snail mail.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #75 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Ah, Equisnot tells you to come back on a certain day to sign up. Then when you do and fill out the form it tells you to wait for an email to confirm your signup process. Then according to info earlier in the thread that takes several days more. All of that waiting brushes you close to their cutoff of the 21st IF you do not delay anything.