Facebook Reportedly Turns Over Election Ad Data To Special Counsel Mueller - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Facebook Reportedly Turns Over Election Ad Data To Special Counsel Mueller

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Facebook Reportedly Turns Over Election Ad Data To Special Counsel Mueller

Facebook Reportedly Turns Over Election Ad Data To Special Counsel Mueller

Quote:
Facebook, the dominant social media network, said 3,000 ads and 470 “inauthentic” accounts and pages spread polarizing views on topics including immigration, race and gay rights.

Another $50,000 was spent on 2,200 “potentially politically related” ads, likely by Russians, Facebook said.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Facebook didn't look at this and decide maybe they should put a stop to it???

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Russian money is just as digitally green as anyone's. Plus the amount really was just a drop in the bucket compared to most media ad buys. I think the Russians were testing the waters, but that avenue might not be there next time. They need to do more about fake accounts first.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Awards: 1
Super Science Award 
lol "inauthentic", "potentially" and "likely"... Quick, spin it some more and try and distance your datamining and targeted ad and page recommendation algorithms from this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
My guess is there might be 'cooperate or else' at issue here.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
The problem is that buying ads to sell fake news is not illegal. Now someone may be able to make a more sophisticated argument that it was, but at first glance it is not illegal. If it was, then we would never see The Enquirer in the shelves at supermarkets.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

maybe at the next election the russia spy in charge will go: oh! man our bots have been kicked off Facebook, what we gunna do ??

and some other spy will go: I know. We can go on Second Life. They love bots on there. And like we could all have multiples accounts for ourselves as well. And they have heaps of sexxors on there as well

and the spy in charge will go: really! i can has the sex ??? and the other guy will go: yusss !! and then all the russia secret spies will go: woohoo!! and the online now status will go way over 100,000 like the next day

and the whole russia spy thingy will totally collapse, and Mr Putin will go wtf !!! and they will all go: sexxors boss !! And he will go: Really !!! I can has the sex ???

and yusss! and the whole Putin empire will collapse as well, because sl sexxors. And all of us be able to go: We did that
irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristalle View Post
The problem is that buying ads to sell fake news is not illegal.
If they are foreigners, and the the purpose is to influence US elections, it *is* in fact illegal. But good luck trying to prosecute Russian nationals.
DanielRavenNest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Facebook undermines its own effort to fight fake news

Quote:
The fact-checkers enlisted by Facebook to help clear the site of “fake news” say the social media giant’s refusal to share information is hurting their efforts.

In December, Facebook promised to address the spread of misinformation on its platform, in part by working with outside fact-checking groups. But because the company has declined to share any internal data from the project, the fact-checkers say they have no way of determining whether the “disputed” tags they’re affixing to “fake news” articles slow — or perhaps even accelerate — the stories’ spread. They also say they’re lacking information that would allow them to prioritize the most important stories out of the hundreds possible to fact-check at any given moment.

Some days I just miss this guy:

1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
The problem is that buying ads to sell fake news is not illegal. Now someone may be able to make a more sophisticated argument that it was, but at first glance it is not illegal. If it was, then we would never see The Enquirer in the shelves at supermarkets.
It doesn't have ot be illegal for Facebook to take a moral stand against it.
1 User Laughed:
Old 09-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lysistrata Worked

Stupid should hurt.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Nov. 12, 2006
I find this especially troubling when coupled with the social engineering experiment Facebook conducted about a year before the campaigns geared up. Facebook treated it like an aw shucks we wasn't doin anything, really, moment, and the broader implications were largely ignored. Using a 'sophisticated algorthym ' they tried to influence their user's state of mind by directing specific types of posts to their news feeds. It worked. Facebook purposely manipulated users and it worked. So how do you monetize that info? maybe Russia, maybe political gain, maybe both and more? I'm guessing $100,000 is just the tip of the iceberg.

On top of that, seeing the fake hurricane Harvey posts (for instance BLM blocking hurricane victims from getting help got almost a million shares) Facebook has a lot to answer for. In my opinion it should be killed with fire.
Merlynn D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Well, rumour has it that Zuckerburg wants to run in the future...
Old 09-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Not a Spy

My Mood:
Who vant to join me in Tiny Empires as reliable underling?

Bring ton of friends, all Equifax-verified. All legit 100%.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
If they are foreigners, and the the purpose is to influence US elections, it *is* in fact illegal. But good luck trying to prosecute Russian nationals.
Though I tend to agree, I would want to see an actual law that covers that with some precision. Also, there is clearly a lot of money in playing the rubes here, it is a damned cottage industry in and of itself. Limbaugh, Levin, Beck, Breitbart, InfoWars, Redstate, etc. ... who is to say that they weren't just in it for the profit? You'll have a hard time proving that they actually intended to influence US elections.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Though I tend to agree, I would want to see an actual law that covers that with some precision.
52 US Code Section 30121 (a)(1)(C) with respect to "electioneering communication".

Quote:
(a) Prohibition - It shall be unlawful for— (1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make— (A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;

(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or

(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); ...
Old 09-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
52 US Code Section 30121 (a)(1)(C) with respect to "electioneering communication".
Yes, but the definition of "electioneering communication" in this context is in reference to tv ads, generally speaking, and not crazy news articles on the Internet. See the definition from the linked statute:

Quote:
(A) In general
(i) The term “electioneering communication” means any broadcast, cable, or satellite communication which—
(I)
refers to a clearly identified candidate for Federal office;
(II) is made within—
(aa)
60 days before a general, special, or runoff election for the office sought by the candidate; or
(bb)
30 days before a primary or preference election, or a convention or caucus of a political party that has authority to nominate a candidate, for the office sought by the candidate; and
(III)
in the case of a communication which refers to a candidate for an office other than President or Vice President, is targeted to the relevant electorate.
(ii)
If clause (i) is held to be constitutionally insufficient by final judicial decision to support the regulation provided herein, then the term “electioneering communication” means any broadcast, cable, or satellite communication which promotes or supports a candidate for that office, or attacks or opposes a candidate for that office (regardless of whether the communication expressly advocates a vote for or against a candidate) and which also is suggestive of no plausible meaning other than an exhortation to vote for or against a specific candidate. Nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed to affect the interpretation or application of section 100.22(b) of title 11, Code of Federal Regulations.
(B) ExceptionsThe term “electioneering communication” does not include—
(i)
a communication appearing in a news story, commentary, or editorial distributed through the facilities of any broadcasting station, unless such facilities are owned or controlled by any political party, political committee, or candidate;

(ii)
a communication which constitutes an expenditure or an independent expenditure under this Act;
(iii)
a communication which constitutes a candidate debate or forum conducted pursuant to regulations adopted by the Commission, or which solely promotes such a debate or forum and is made by or on behalf of the person sponsoring the debate or forum; or
(iv)
any other communication exempted under such regulations as the Commission may promulgate (consistent with the requirements of this paragraph) to ensure the appropriate implementation of this paragraph, except that under any such regulation a communication may not be exempted if it meets the requirements of this paragraph and is described in section 30101(20)(A)(iii) of this title.

And an independent expenditure is an ad that expressly advocates for the election or defeat of some candidate. Money in Politics: Independent Expenditures | League Management Site

So no, this is not precise enough to cover this activity. Making web articles scaring White Evangelicals about gay marriage or open borders does not constitute an independent expenditure or "electioneering communication."
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Yes, but the definition of "electioneering communication" in this context is in reference to tv ads, generally speaking, and not crazy news articles on the Internet. See the definition from the linked statute:
Given that more people get their news from Facebook these days than broadcast TV, courts might well interpret it as falling under the statute. That would depend on legislative history and intent. If the statute predates widespread use of the Internet, they may have intended it to cover any mass medium. I'm sure a prosecutor could *try* to apply the law.

Even if the activity is not strictly illegal under current law, Russia, the Trump administration, and Facebook can all lose out in the court of public opinion for election meddling, and face some kind of repercussions.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
No, they can't do that. The statute is very specific. Congress has to amend the law to change the definition or add the Internet as a mode of communication.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tainted Tigar

I'm sawrry, but I dun' prey taht wai!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Who vant to join me in Tiny Empires as reliable underling?

Bring ton of friends, all Equifax-verified. All legit 100%.
Say "Moose and Squirrel" doooo eeeet!!

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Quote:
Though I tend to agree, I would want to see an actual law that covers that with some precision. Also, there is clearly a lot of money in playing the rubes here, it is a damned cottage industry in and of itself. Limbaugh, Levin, Beck, Breitbart, InfoWars, Redstate, etc. ... who is to say that they weren't just in it for the profit? You'll have a hard time proving that they actually intended to influence US elections.
The big difference is Limbaught, Levin, Beck, et all are American Citizens. They might be conniving assholes, but its their country so its okay for them to try and influence our elections.

Note the big, important part - its not influencing elections that's illegal, its being from a foreign government and trying to influence our elections.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-09-2017, 11:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Here are some examples of what Facebook let the Russians pass off as news:

30 Batsh*t Crazy, Mostly Racist Facebook Memes the Russians Used to Corrupt Your Mind

All perfectly legal. All completely inaccurate.

Last edited by Soda Sullivan; 09-09-2017 at 11:23 PM.
3 Users Agreed:
Old 09-10-2017, 12:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
The big difference is Limbaught, Levin, Beck, et all are American Citizens. They might be conniving assholes, but its their country so its okay for them to try and influence our elections.

Note the big, important part - its not influencing elections that's illegal, its being from a foreign government and trying to influence our elections.
Yes but proving that is not going to be a cakewalk. They could pretty easily say that it was about money. Those guys are Exhibit A.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #23 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Quote:
Yes but proving that is not going to be a cakewalk. They could pretty easily say that it was about money. Those guys are Exhibit A.
Why would they bother saying that? IT IS NOT ILLEGAL to influence elections IF YOU ARE A CITIZEN.

And why else would Russian companies be buying US political ads aimed at Americans, if not to illegally influence elections?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Two questions.

First, who is said to be committing the criminal offence here?

If it's the Russian citizens or companies, resident in Russia, who buy the advertising space, then I don't see that US law is any more relevant to their activities than is Russian law relevant to the activities of US citizens in the USA. They might be at risk if they ever decided to visit the USA or do business there, but not otherwise.

Or is it Facebook, for not doing sufficient due diligence before accepting the money and running the adverts?

Second, what exactly are the rules? I understand that if I, as a foreigner, want to contribute to a particular candidate or party in a US election, the candidate/party isn't allowed to accept my money.

However, what if I want to buy advertising space on SLU that does not urge US readers to vote for or against a particular candidate or party but simply -- for example -- to consider the importance of global warming as a political issue and to be mindful of the candidates' views on the subject when casting their votes?

Presumably there's no question of any crime being committed if Cristiano decides to run my avert for free, whether because he agree with me, or because he's feeling generous. However, if he accepts my advert and lets me pay for it, is either of us breaking the law?
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
I believe TV and Radio are required to give equal air time for both candidates in advertising. I have no idea how that extends to online ads, especially when anyone can buy these ads.