Hurricane Irma - Page 23 - SLUniverse Forums

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #551 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I hate to be The Guy Who Complains About the Coverage - in part because I kinda have to agree with the policy of giving the most coverage before and during the storm to the places with the highest potential number of impacted people, like major cities.

That said....now that the storm is over, I've been seeing some terrible, freaking awful things about deteriorating conditions in the US Virgins. I know we just spent some time criticizing the US for not doing enough to help other Caribbean nations impacted by the hurricane; but the Virgin Islands are US soil in the Caribbean, and its residents are American citizens, and from the sound of things their own national government is seriously dropping the ball - or at least has only very recently started to pick it up. And I have a feeling that it will take people making noise and attracted media attention in order to get those people the help they need. I'm talking like the actual US Navy needs to be there restoring law and order right now, if some of the stuff I've been seeing is true (and honestly I have no idea if it is).
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Agreed:
Old 09-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #552 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

America: Way Down, Big Trouble, Dead!

Most Appropriate  Forum Avatar 
Yeah, I've read about it on reddit. Last I heard a Naval ship finally arrived but the conditions are very bad and so is the lawlessness. This is unacceptable. But what do we expect with Dump in charge.
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #553 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

America: Way Down, Big Trouble, Dead!

Most Appropriate  Forum Avatar 
I read an article about the first responders and the police in particular, being unable to respond to 911 calls after the wind picked up. They understood the reasoning behind it but could see the calls coming in on their computer, like a 12 year-old having trouble breathing and shit and had to stop looking because they were so frustrated and upset, not being able to help. It must have been very difficult.
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #554 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
Puerto Rico is US too, and it was so angermaking when all the news media was saying, 'It might hit american soil...' WTF, people, its just hit the Virgin Isles, its on top of Puerto Rico, and you're saying it -might- hit US?

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #555 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
Puerto Rico is US too, and it was so angermaking when all the news media was saying, 'It might hit american soil...' WTF, people, its just hit the Virgin Isles, its on top of Puerto Rico, and you're saying it -might- hit US?
You do realize most people do not seem to recognize Hawaii and Alaska are states yet? Otherwise there would have been no question of Obama being a citizen once it was shown one of his parents came from Hawaii.

If you REALLY want to have some fun grab someone at random and ask what DC is beyond that it is where the government dwells. Then have some fun quizzing them on the various tiny islands we own.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #556 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
You do realize most people do not seem to recognize Hawaii and Alaska are states yet? Otherwise there would have been no question of Obama being a citizen once it was shown one of his parents came from Hawaii.
I think it was the fact one of his parents was black that made it impossible for most of the birthers to believe he could lawfully have been elected rather than the fact one of them came from Hawaii.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #557 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Super Science Award 
Quote:

If you REALLY want to have some fun grab someone at random and ask what DC is beyond that it is where the government dwells. Then have some fun quizzing them on the various tiny islands we own.
Some people are still trying to figure out what the other 7 states are that Obama was going off to campaign in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #558 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
I think it was the fact one of his parents was black that made it impossible for most of the birthers to believe he could lawfully have been elected rather than the fact one of them came from Hawaii.
Yeah - remember Joe Arpardon sent a whole team of deputies to Hawaii to prove the state forged Obama's birth certificate (and they actually did declare that the state was lying and the certified birth certificate was fake, IIRC).
Old 09-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #559 (permalink)
I see what you're doing!

*SLU Supporter*

Whatcha lookin' at?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 18, 2005

Send a message via Skype™ to Sally Rosebud
Power managed to stay on last night. Today it looks like it's ready to pour down rain. Just a mild breeze today, unlike yesterday. I know there was some flash flooding in places prone to it, some boat damage on Lake Murray, trees down in several places, power outages, otherwise nothing major. Thanks Irma!
Sally Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #560 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
I'm talking like the actual US Navy needs to be there restoring law and order right now, if some of the stuff I've been seeing is true (and honestly I have no idea if it is).
Quote:
The United States military deployed an aircraft carrier off St. Croix as a staging ship for aid to the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, as well as to St. Martin and other devastated foreign territories,
Source

(the info comes from the White House, though, so I can't vouch for it being actually true)
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #561 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:

Please tell me you don't expect older people who have been out of high school/college for more than a decade or two to remember all those islands? Knowledge that doesn't get used (frequently) does get lost. Or at least it goes into hiding in a part of your brain that is next to impossible to reach.

Yeah. You know. That old use it or lose it thing. It's true.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #562 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Marriott sent a rescue ship to the Caribbean after Irma
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #563 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Please tell me you don't expect older people who have been out of high school/college for more than a decade or two to remember all those islands? Knowledge that doesn't get used (frequently) does get lost. Or at least it goes into hiding in a part of your brain that is next to impossible to reach.
It's less important that the average person on the street remembers them all; they can always be reminded when the occasion calls for it.

It's far more important that like the alleged President of the Ufreakingnited States has at least a working knowledge of the territory he helps govern. Or it used to be important, until the president by his own proclamation became only the president of Those Who Voted For Him.

One neat hardly-ever-remembered US minor outlying island is the Palmyra Atoll in the Pacific, a mostly uninhabited island that was the scene of a fascinating murder mystery back in the 70's. There's a book about it, called "And the Sea Will Tell", which everyone ought to read because it's great.

Last edited by Dakota Tebaldi; 09-12-2017 at 08:04 PM.
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #564 (permalink)

whatever

Quote:

Yeah, I saw that and was going to post it in this thread. You left off part of the headline (or it got left off or . . something). Full headline:
'Marriott sent a rescue ship to the Caribbean after Irma — and left non-guests on the dock'

The story, basically, is that there were something like 335 people standing around on a dock after Irma had hit. And before news of what Jose was going to do. People were freaking out. Marriott's ship picked up only those who were Marriott guests (300 of the 335). Left rest behind (35). Marriott blames timing, local people. Local people blame Marriott. Point is that families with kids, etc., watched as a huge boat arrived with more than 600 seats on it . . . then watched it leave without them with lots of empty seats.

Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #565 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
It's less important that the average person on the street remembers them all; they can always be reminded when the occasion calls for it.

It's far more important that like the alleged President of the Ufreakingnited States has at least a working knowledge of the territory he helps govern. Or it used to be important, until the president by his own proclamation became only the president of Those Who Voted For Him.

One neat hardly-ever-remembered US minor outlying island is the Palmyra Atoll in the Pacific, a mostly uninhabited island that was the scene of a fascinating murder mystery back in the 70's. There's a book about it, called "And the Sea Will Tell", which everyone ought to read because it's great.

1 User Hugged You:
Old 09-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #566 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi Gynoid View Post
Yeah, I saw that and was going to post it in this thread. You left off part of the headline (or it got left off or . . something). Full headline:
'Marriott sent a rescue ship to the Caribbean after Irma — and left non-guests on the dock'

Yeah, it got truncated somewhere between copy and paste and I'm just too tired to be arsed to go back and change it.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 09-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #567 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
Source

(the info comes from the White House, though, so I can't vouch for it being actually true)
Stars and Stripes isn't an official publication, but if it's on there, it's probably happening:

Carrier among 7 Navy ships prepping for Irma response; coastal military installations evacuated - Stripes

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #568 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Right, I doubt most people could remember the name of every unpopulated spec the US lays claim to without looking them up. I do expect them to know the biggies not in the continental 48: HI, AK, DC, PR. After that I give them a pass but phrases like 'the US Virgin Islands' should give them a major clue.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #569 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:

Apparently, only Marriott guests were allowed on that ship.

Edit: Lexxi beat me to it.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #570 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:
Right, I doubt most people could remember the name of every unpopulated spec the US lays claim to without looking them up. I do expect them to know the biggies not in the continental 48: HI, AK, DC, PR. After that I give them a pass but phrases like 'the US Virgin Islands' should give them a major clue.
Don't forget Guam. Everyone seemed to remember that real quick when North Korea threatened to nuke it.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #571 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Media should know these things too - its part of their job to be informed, or it used to be.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #572 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
Media should know these things too - its part of their job to be informed, or it used to be.
They used to but now they don't worry about remembering anything since it's all right there at their fingertips. Until the battery goes dead.

ETA: Sort of a two edged sword you might say.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:29 AM   #573 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/28/2009
Amazing is how I'd describe this from the Governors office:

Quote:
Deaths by county announced by governor's office:
Broward County – 1 death
Duval County – 1 death
Hardee County 2 deaths
Hillsborough County – 2 deaths
Liberty County – 1 death
Marion County – 1 death
Orange County – 2 death
Pasco County – 1 death
Pinellas County – 1 death
These are storm related deaths, not from natural causes.

Except for the one death in Broward county, all the rest are from roughly the middle of the state on up. And the man in Broward died from falling from a ladder as he was putting up storm shutters on his home before the storm. That's pretty damn amazing considering the millions of people in south Florida, that none down here were from the storm itself.

The deaths in Hardee were a police officer and a corrections officer from a head-on collision. Both driving sunday morning; one going home from work and the other going to work. They should have both been hunkered down by that time. We were warned to not be out after Saturday around 7pm because of tropical force winds and rain.

Correction: There were 2 deaths in Munroe County. One found dead in a home in Shark Key and another who lost control of his vehicle carrying a generator while driving in tropical force winds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake
You are that evil voice on my shoulder Roxy.
Roxy Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #574 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
From Wikepedia:

Quote:
The Great Storm of 1703 was a destructive extra-tropical cyclone that struck central and southern England on 26 November 1703 (7 December 1703 in the Gregorian calendar in use today). High winds caused 2,000 chimney stacks to collapse in London and damaged the New Forest, which lost 4,000 oaks. Ships were blown hundreds of miles off-course, and over 1,000 seamen died on the Goodwin Sands alone.
Industrial nations have come a long way since then, but third-world countries are still just as vulnerable now as they were back then.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #575 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy Couturier View Post
Amazing is how I'd describe this from the Governors office:

These are storm related deaths, not from natural causes.

Except for the one death in Broward county, all the rest are from roughly the middle of the state on up. And the man in Broward died from falling from a ladder as he was putting up storm shutters on his home before the storm. That's pretty damn amazing considering the millions of people in south Florida, that none down here were from the storm itself.

The deaths in Hardee were a police officer and a corrections officer from a head-on collision. Both driving sunday morning; one going home from work and the other going to work. They should have both been hunkered down by that time. We were warned to not be out after Saturday around 7pm because of tropical force winds and rain.

Correction: There were 2 deaths in Munroe County. One found dead in a home in Shark Key and another who lost control of his vehicle carrying a generator while driving in tropical force winds.
Add 5 more on to the Broward: At least 6 dead after Florida nursing home left with no A/C from Irma - CNN

The heat here is brutal, it's been in the mid to high 80's at night, let alone during the day. Most people still have their shutters up with concern for what direction Hurricane Jose will take which makes it even hotter. With no power, there is no AC, even when you have a generator, they usually do not pull enough power to run AC.

Not to mention that there is not a single gas station open right now in the area and they have not been for days. So even if you have a generator, you're probably at this point running out of gas for it.

Officials are promising to get the power back up and they have been promising gas since before the evacuations started yet they have not delivered. Some people who evacuated can't get back because they can't get fuel for their car.

I think that part of the problem with fuel is the destruction from the week's previous hurricane Harvey, and the damage to many refineries. This can't help but have an impact on the South East regardless of whether we had a disaster here or not. Hurricane Irma just exacerbated an existing problem.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenrw.../#642c5fae26b2

With as many disasters as we have occurring concurrently in the US now, I am very concerned about our ability to fully recover and about the nation's insurance infrastructure's ability to cover all of these disasters at once.

Even scarier, I don't think that multiple disasters related to climate will be uncommon in the future because of global warming and climate change related to that. Yet the politicians who are in control in Washington won't even admit that they exist.
2 Users Hugged You:
3 Users Agreed: