Trump Pardons Arpaio - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Trump Pardons Arpaio

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Trump Pardons Arpaio

Trump Pardons Arpaio

Quote:
Controversial former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio was pardoned by President Donald Trump on Friday after being found guilty in July on criminal contempt charges stemming from his refusal to stop imprisoning suspected illegal immigrants.

"Sheriff Joe Arpaio is now eighty-five years old, and after more than fifty years of admirable service to our Nation, he is [a] worthy candidate for a Presidential pardon," the White House said in part in a press release.

Arpaio, an outspoken critic of undocumented migrants as well as an ardent supporter of Trump, appeared on the presidential campaign trail with the Republican candidate in 2016. He was said to be under consideration for a pardon last week by Trump, and was all but promised clemency by the president during a rally in Phoenix on Tuesday.

"I'll make a prediction. I think [Arpaio]'s going to be just fine, OK? But I won't do it tonight because I don't want to cause any controversy," said the president, alluding to a pardon. "Is that OK? ... But Sheriff Joe can feel good."
Old 08-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
Doesn't mention the crime in the statement. Arpaio is a buddy whose early endorsement provided a huge boost to the campaign early on. Announced while a hurricane is starting to hit Texas so people don't notice.

Basically a big signs to all the Nazis that the President has their back and to keep on doing what they're doing.

Ah, Arpaio has responded on twitter, since that's the official means of governmental communication now. Thanks 45 for overturning the results of a political witch hunt by the Obama administration. Then posts a link to his legal defense fund because grifters gotta grift.
Lianne Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-25-2017, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Trump is such an evil bastard. Not one word of condolence or anything to Texans because he's too busy with his plot to pardon Arpaio and hope no one will notice on this night of turmoil.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
This one is actually kind of funny because despite this pardon I've read that pretty much everything that Sheriff Joe built has been torn down by his successor meaning that except for his cynical use by Trump and his idiot cheerleaders among Trump's supporters, no one who actually lives around Arapaio actually likes him.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-25-2017, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Trump is such an evil bastard. Not one word of condolence or anything to Texans because he's too busy with his plot to pardon Arpaio and hope no one will notice on this night of turmoil.
I think this is a trial balloon as Trump anticipates the coming subpoenas and Grand Jury indictments through Mueller. He's probably figuring out how he can block the Russia investigation.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-25-2017, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
This one is actually kind of funny because despite this pardon I've read that pretty much everything that Sheriff Joe built has been torn down by his successor meaning that except for his cynical use by Trump and his idiot cheerleaders among Trump's supporters, no one who actually lives around Arapaio actually likes him.
There's also the fact that literally nothing he did actually had any effect on the crime rates. It was entirely because he's a giant racist asshole.

Phoenix New Times goes over their 20 years of covering the giant racist asshole:

Twitter
Lianne Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
He pardoned Arpaio because Arpaio is one of his ardent supporters, and one of the people who was in charge of the Obama birth certificate nonsense.

Trump is basically that guy standing in a bay window with his ponderously sagging nards swinging in the breeze, pointing to how magnificent he thinks his dick is, while neighbor kids are playing in his front yard. He is repugnant, uncaring, and showing everyone what a monster he really is for all to see.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.55d8af9cf4ff

Arpaio is a fucking monster. He needed to be put down like the rabid raccoon he is.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Ryan weighs in

Quote:
“The speaker does not agree with the decision,” said Doug Andres, a spokesman for Ryan. “Law-enforcement officials have a special responsibility to respect the rights of everyone in the United States. We should not allow anyone to believe that responsibility is diminished by this pardon.”
Whoa whoa whoa there, Paul - let's not go all ragey and overboard. No need for such strong language.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Ryan weighs in

Whoa whoa whoa there, Paul - let's not go all ragey and overboard. No need for such strong language.
The deeper significance is congressional Republicans are now openly disagreeing with Trump, first about Charlottesville, and now about Arpaio. They've made the political calculation that pissing off the white supremacists is less of a loss than pissing off everyone else.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Heretical Raccoon skunk with a rainbowpootbeam

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2010
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/a...med-joe-arpaio
Quote:
So if I hear you right, it's not a power grab, and it's not really a teachable moment either. Is that about right?
It looks more like a stunt, frankly, than it does anything else. And of course, that's Trump.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
I think this is a trial balloon as Trump anticipates the coming subpoenas and Grand Jury indictments through Mueller. He's probably figuring out how he can block the Russia investigation.
Indeed, that's being considered by some observers:

Arpaio Pardon May Be Opening Act of a Constitutional Crisis – BillMoyers.com

Quote:
For many weeks, Washington has been swirling with rumors that Mueller already has secured the cooperation of Michael Flynn and Paul Manafort in his investigation of the president. And Trump undoubtedly is more vulnerable to the testimony of these two men than he is to that of any other players in this fearful drama. Therefore, Trump must feel compelled to send this message through Arpaio’s pardon: The president is eager and willing to do the same thing for anyone who might be pressured into testifying against him.
That said, whilst a pardon of this kind is undoubtedly excellent "red meat" for his fans, on a legal front, the problem with accepting a pardon, as we know, is the removal of Fifth Amendment protection. Trump may dearly wish to wave his Wand of Pardoning at everyone, but the recipients and their lawyers will, I imagine, be rather more circumspect.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
Twitter

A brief but chilling Twitter thread/history of Arpaio via the Phoenix New Times.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.55d8af9cf4ff

Arpaio is a fucking monster. He needed to be put down like the rabid raccoon he is.
(emphasis added)

you are actually advocating that he should have been killed?
wtf is the matter with you?
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Of all the things he's done so far, this has unnerved me the most, I think, because it demonstrates such contempt for the legal process. I don't buy the ignorance excuse here -- someone must have warned him that pardoning Arpaio before he'd even been sentenced and without his even having applied for a pardon is monstrous.

Similarly, the argument that Arpaio's record of public service justified the pardon doesn't bear scrutiny for a moment -- it might properly have been argued in mitigation of the sentence, but it hardly excuses contempt of an order from a federal judge. Indeed, Arpaio's career in law enforcement aggravates the contempt, since law enforcement officials know, probably rather better than some property developers, that it's their duty to comply with a court's lawful orders.

You guys should have stuck with us, or at least paid more attention, in drafting your constitution, to the constitutional rights you had abandoned -- the Glorious Revolution of 1688 pretty much established once and for all that the Monarch's favourites are not above the law.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
I don't think there is any deep strategy about this pardon. Trump values loyalty, and Sheriff Asshole (sic?) has been one of his loudest boosters. If it is intended as a message, it may simply be that Trump will take care of those who stay loyal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTWNBBFN
I've got more in common with the bugger on my bayonette
Than the toff you's telling me to stick it in his guts.

The Men That Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing, Mutiny in the Common Soldiery
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
You guys should have stuck with us, or at least paid more attention, in drafting your constitution, to the constitutional rights you had abandoned -- the Glorious Revolution of 1688 pretty much established once and for all that the Monarch's favourites are not above the law.
The United States inherited the English common law as it existed at the time of the Revolution. It is not like the 13 colonies started with no laws at all and had to write them all from scratch:

Law of the United States

Specific provisions in the Constitution, and later federal and state laws, have superceded the original common law in many places, but occasionally a case can reach back to ancient precedents from before our nation's founding.

The US *does* have the principle that "No man is above the law". But our justice system is also often slow, so powerful people can get away with things for a while. In the case of Arpaio, his department been sanctioned by federal judges as far back as 2008 for unconstitutional acts (jail conditions back then), but it has taken until now for him to be personally liable for jail time.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Prim Fancier

*SLU Supporter*

Current status [twirly]

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January, 2007
Client: v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
I don't think there is any deep strategy about this pardon. Trump values loyalty, and Sheriff Asshole (sic?) has been one of his loudest boosters. If it is intended as a message, it may simply be that Trump will take care of those who stay loyal.
But he clearly doesn't look after those that are loyal to him.

Look at all the loyal followers he's thrown under the bus. Like Jeff Sessions, Rudy Guliani, etc etc. They were far more powerful than some racist sheriff who was in contempt of court.

It's the act of pardoning someone who is in contempt of court that's the issue here. Trump is showing he can do it. And a lot of people in the Trump camp will be in serious legal hot water if the investigation keeps going the way it is. Trump might think that he can protect himself by pardoning them.

The fun fact is (Innula correct me if I'm wrong) accepting the pardon also means accepting the guilt? And, I heard they lose their 5th amendment rights.

Quote:
Cristiano We need to make 'endless celestial sex' into a thing.
Quote:
His Evol Holiness Trout of Troutlandia:
::The Temptress General Circle Widdershins, Dasher of Desires, Crusher of the Dreams of Mankind, Denter of Fenders, and High Priestess of The Temple of Carnage and Unholy Vice. She Whose Mere Presence Causes Her Enemies to Drop To Their Knees and Await Their Terrible Fate in Grim Obedience to Her Siren's Wail.::
Circle Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
The United States inherited the English common law as it existed at the time of the Revolution. It is not like the 13 colonies started with no laws at all and had to write them all from scratch:

Law of the United States

Specific provisions in the Constitution, and later federal and state laws, have superceded the original common law in many places, but occasionally a case can reach back to ancient precedents from before our nation's founding.

The US *does* have the principle that "No man is above the law". But our justice system is also often slow, so powerful people can get away with things for a while. In the case of Arpaio, his department been sanctioned by federal judges as far back as 2008 for unconstitutional acts (jail conditions back then), but it has taken until now for him to be personally liable for jail time.
Yes, I know the USA inherited English common law, but the point of the Glorious Revolution and the Act of Settlement is that the monarch rules with the consent of Parliament. So while the Monarch retains the royal prerogative of mercy, and grants pardons, she or he can't go around pardoning people simply because they're the monarch's friends (or have given the king a lot of money).
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post

That said, whilst a pardon of this kind is undoubtedly excellent "red meat" for his fans, on a legal front, the problem with accepting a pardon, as we know, is the removal of Fifth Amendment protection. Trump may dearly wish to wave his Wand of Pardoning at everyone, but the recipients and their lawyers will, I imagine, be rather more circumspect.
Why would the recipients be more circumspect? On the other hand if the orange one wants to look after his own hide he might think twice about pardoning people who then will have to give evidence against him (unlike Arpaio since he probably doesn't have any juicy bits on Trump) Maybe that's what you are saying, I'm not sure.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Trump is SUCH a complete and total wanker. Not only does he pardon Boss Hog Arpaio AND also signs the ban on trans soldiers serving in our military, but he does it on a Friday ...when everyone else's attention is on one of the worst hurricanes to ever hit Texas. What a pathetic, cowardly, piece of shit.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
Yes, I know the USA inherited English common law, but the point of the Glorious Revolution and the Act of Settlement is that the monarch rules with the consent of Parliament. So while the Monarch retains the royal prerogative of mercy, and grants pardons, she or he can't go around pardoning people simply because they're the monarch's friends (or have given the king a lot of money).
To be fair, usually it does not work this way. Most presidents consider pardons a long time and avoid controversial ones. Even then they often sneak them in as they are leaving.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Widdershins View Post
But he clearly doesn't look after those that are loyal to him.

Look at all the loyal followers he's thrown under the bus. Like Jeff Sessions
In Trump's head, people are disloyal for any perceived slight, like recusing yourself from oversight of an investigation when ethics rules clearly require you to do so. His relationship with Sessions is at the point where reports say they have stopped communicating and no one will be surprised when Sessions is fired, even though it will set up a Constitutional crisis. You can't apply rational standards of loyalty to Trump.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Whelp, now I'm just waiting for the pardon to come through for Martin Shkreli.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
Whelp, now I'm just waiting for the pardon to come through for Martin Shkreli.
Probably accompanied by a tweet about him being a hero of the masses.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote