Precursor to World War III? - Page 9 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Precursor to World War III?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #201 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
That's what the whole military chain of command is for. There are infrared satellites whose job is to detect rocket launches, and there are also nuclear detection sensors on the GPS satellites which pick up the radiation from an explosion. Finally, there are all kinds of radars which can track missiles in flight. The combination lets the military say with certainty "this rocket launched from here, and delivered a warhead there".

That information gets sent up the chain of command to the Secretary of Defense or National Security Advisor, whoever is advising the President at the time, and back down as orders to whoever is in position to retaliate. I'm sure there are detailed plans for retaliation, they have had decades to work those out and gather intelligence on the NK military.
Yes, I get that, but what I'm saying is that, according to Maggie, an order to launch nuclear missiles is valid if either a) it is issued by the President and endorsed by the Secretary for Defense or b) it is issued by the President only, without anyone's endorsement, provided that it is retaliation for a nuclear attack on the USA.

It follows, at least to my mind, that somewhere in the chain of command there must therefore be someone whose job it is to inspect the order, notice that it lacks the endorsement of the Secretary for Defense and then decide what to do with it.

I'm sure this officer -- who must be pretty senior -- will have ample information on which to base the decision, but I'm just wondering whose job it is, should there be no first strike by North Korea or anyone else but, nevertheless the Command in Chief issues orders to attack North Korea that lack the endorsement of the Secretary for Defense, to refuse them.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #202 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Innula, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there isn't a plan for that scenario.

We seem to have almost always operated as though more or less sane, fairly rational people were the ones with their fingers on the nuclear trigger. MAD only works, after all, if everyone playing the game considers being incinerated too high a price to pay to "win." That rather fundamental part of the game was always presumed.

I'm not sure it makes sense to presume that about Kim or His Spray-tan-ness. One can only hope there are more level heads at work somewhere behind the scenes.

It also strikes me that NK doesn't even have MAD going for it -- bizarrely, they want to play this game with the only outcomes being "things stay the same" or "Non-mutually assured destruction." A third option is rather urgently needed, I think, but I sure can't think of one that 45 and his rabid followers could live with.

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #203 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Casey, they could live with it, they just don't want to. They'd rather see everyone just as miserable as they are. Nothing anyone can say or do will make them happy. They enjoy being that miserable that much.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #204 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
It follows, at least to my mind, that somewhere in the chain of command there must therefore be someone whose job it is to inspect the order, notice that it lacks the endorsement of the Secretary for Defense and then decide what to do with it.

I'm sure this officer -- who must be pretty senior -- will have ample information on which to base the decision, but I'm just wondering whose job it is, should there be no first strike by North Korea or anyone else but, nevertheless the Command in Chief issues orders to attack North Korea that lack the endorsement of the Secretary for Defense, to refuse them.
i have been having a nosey round the internet as I wanted to know the answer to this also. So far what I have found is

it seems that from reading a number of sources that where the Secretary for Defense comes into it, is that this civilian person verifies to the military that it was the Commander in Chief (who may or may not be the person who is the elected President depending on the circumstance) who issued the order

it seems also this is a civilian safety check verifying the person who issued the order, not the content of the order as such. A civilian has no authority to countermand a military order

the Federation of American Scientists website has some broad stuff on OPLAN 8010-12 (the military operation plan for what happens). Not much detail plan content tho

a excerpt from the website here: https://fas.org/blogs/security/2013/04/oplan8010-12/

Quote:
OPLAN 8010-12 is produced, maintained, and if so ordered by the president executed by the Joint Functional Component Command for Global Strike (JFCC-GS), a 430-people unit located at STRATCOM at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska. JFCC-GS is responsible for not only nuclear plans but for the full spectrum of kinetic (nuclear and conventional) and non-kinetic effects.
i think that if the Commander of JFCC-GS didnt get civilian verification according to the OPLAN then they would go up the military chain of command for further orders

like I doubt that the JFCC-GS Commander would go direct to the Commander-in-Chief (who in this situation is not a civilian as such) in the first instance in the absence of civilian verification

the commander would probably go to Joint Chiefs of Staff, who would then contact the Secretary for Defense. I dunno exactly tho as I haven't seen the actual OPLAN
irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #205 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
I think it was Jimmy Kimmel. That's the sort of thing he likes to do on his ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live. In which case it would have been outside his studio in Hollywood.
Thanks, I got names mixed up - in my defense, I don't watch tv, and certainly nothing later at night. I just catch the videos.

Aribeth Zelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #206 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne Korda View Post
All I can say is that I imagine that many, many of us are hoping that a mentally deranged, ignorant, self-important fool will see what the implications of his big mouth are.
Hope, yes. Expecting it? I'm afraid not.

Meanwhile, we have assholes emboldened by Trump's campaign promises tearing up Charlottesville, Virginia. The world is turning to shit, and we have The Orange One right in the middle of it.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma Tardis View Post
This pic is beyond STUPID, this is not how it works!
Quote:
I believe it's an attempt at humour, Ranma.
As I'm sure many on SLU will concur, my humor attempt success rate is nowhere near 100%.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #208 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
You mean the drills that were basically to give kids some way they could feel in control of their fate because there is not much you can do in that situation.

As to the crackers, track down some military rations.
If you can get your hands on some MREs (Meals Ready to Eat), they're worth a try. They're not great by any stretch of the imagination, but they are an experience. Just go easy on them: Each one is designed to contain a full day's calories a combatant may need.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #209 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Curmudgeon

SL Join Date: 9/25/2005
Quote:
...Just go easy on them: Each one is designed to contain a full day's calories a combatant may need.
Yes and no.

Each one will do exactly what you say for some deskbound, sedentary paper-pusher - your typical civilian who could stand to lose some weight (me, for instance, at least nowdays ) - approximately 1,250 (kilo)calories.

If you're a mid-to-low twenties age active duty service member, three MREs is 3,750 (kilo)calories, and even that may not be enough for some jobs/circumstances/climates.

But, yes... I've some MREs in storage for emergencies, and if I were to parcel them out to folks it would be 1 per day per person (it's really a lot of food if you eat/drink everything within a 24-hour period).

ETA: The MRE is the US issue for a single meal. Some countries issue a 24-hour ration that is significantly larger than a single MRE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Weber View Post
Who would have thought WacoNegraUnpluged Resident would end up being a problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
I'm not going to go into the circular clusterfuck of doom with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robble Rubble View Post
I'll admit it feels bizarre for me to say this but.... STOP FEEDING THE TROLL

Last edited by Tengu Yamabushi; 08-12-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Tengu Yamabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #210 (permalink)
Abnormally Normal
I Don't Really Exist Do I ?

My Mood:
Client: I try all of them, but for everyday use it's Cool VL Viewer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Pelous View Post
It also strikes me that NK doesn't even have MAD going for it -- bizarrely, they want to play this game with the only outcomes being "things stay the same" or "Non-mutually assured destruction." A third option is rather urgently needed, I think, but I sure can't think of one that 45 and his rabid followers could live with.
Plan C: Get an agreement with China and South Korea that allows the USA to conventionally bomb the hell out of NK's military forces upon provocation, and then let China take over the country. China sits idly by while the USA spends the money and armaments to disarm the highlights of the NK military, and then comes in with the aid, money and governorship NK will need to recover, making them look like the good guys. South Korea just sits by or provides some support to the USA assault and then restores their own side of the border (because there is undoubtedly going to be some collateral damage), and the USA helps them with a recovery package...their benefit coming from a more stable country across the border from them.

Now you can start working on Plan D. lol
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #211 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
....and then let China take over the country.... ....
Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Just hold up there one gosh darned minute.

WHO takes over the country?

With kindest regards,
South Korea, #NotAFanOfChina
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-13-2017, 02:21 AM   #213 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
I guess if we can limit the big red buttons to food and beverage deliveries, then we'll be fine.
Cover his desk with these?

Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-13-2017, 03:48 AM   #214 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm just a girl, with some horns

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Missing one for Depend.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-13-2017, 06:15 AM   #215 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Quote:
Missing one for Depend.
OK, I googled Depend (having made a vague guess and typed "Depend" and "Order"). Think of the ferriners*, yeah?

But yeah.

*on SLU. I have long abandoned the hope of Chump caring about ferriners.

Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #216 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Think of the ferriners*, yeah?
Fabine, then...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #217 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Quote:
OK, I googled Depend (having made a vague guess and typed "Depend" and "Order"). Think of the ferriners*, yeah?

But yeah.

*on SLU. I have long abandoned the hope of Chump caring about ferriners.
Their tag line is "comfortable, reliable protection" and they sell products for both men and women that are normally associated with babies.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #218 (permalink)
冬眠中

*SLU Supporter*

ekumental

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

In Queso Emergency 
Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #219 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Why does Eku hate us?
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 08-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #220 (permalink)
冬眠中

*SLU Supporter*

ekumental

My Mood:

In Queso Emergency 
Quote:
Why does Eku hate us?
depends.....
eku Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #221 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
I'm sure this officer -- who must be pretty senior -- will have ample information on which to base the decision, but I'm just wondering whose job it is,
Probably General John Hyten, who is commander of the US Strategic Command. That command both controls the missiles and gets the intelligence data so they can act on it in real time.

When a missile launch is detected, they don't have time to waste, so the people controlling, for example, the interceptor missiles, get told right away. The only thing they get from the "National Command Authority" (i.e. the President) is whether to execute a retaliatory strike, and which of the prepared options to use. But defending themselves or a civilian target they don't have to ask anyone's permission. If they are able to, they will.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #222 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
If you can get your hands on some MREs (Meals Ready to Eat), they're worth a try.
I actually tried some of those as part of my space systems work. A Mars mission might last three years, so we got hold of some three year old MREs to see just how palatable they would be, and if people could tolerate that kind of food for three years straight.

You *could*, but it would not be very desirable. That's part of why they have been conducting plant growth experiments on the Space Station:

DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #223 (permalink)

'If the U.S. and South Korea carry out strikes and try to overthrow the North Korean regime and change the political pattern of the Korean Peninsula, China will prevent them from doing so.'

Read more: China will stop America if it attacks North Korea first | Daily Mail Online

I hope that our country does not do a preemptive strike against North Korea and end up getting China involved just like the world saw happen in the 1950's.
Georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #224 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown View Post
I hope that our country does not do a preemptive strike against North Korea and end up getting China involved just like the world saw happen in the 1950's.
there is no way the USA is going to launch any kind of preemptive strike against North Korea. The USA would retaliate tho, with overwhelming force if the North Korea regime was dumb enough to fire on any US asset, ally or territory

if anything were to affect regime change in North Korea then it would be a coordinated plan between USA, South Korea, North Korea and China to affect the reunification of Korea. Which I think all koreans would like to see happen, as I think would pretty much everyone else
irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #225 (permalink)
冬眠中

*SLU Supporter*

ekumental

My Mood:

In Queso Emergency 
Quote:
Originally Posted by irihapeti View Post
there is no way the USA is going to launch any kind of preemptive strike against North Korea. The USA would retaliate tho, with overwhelming force if the North Korea regime was dumb enough to fire on any US asset, ally or territory

if anything were to affect regime change in North Korea then it would be a coordinated plan between USA, South Korea, North Korea and China to affect the reunification of Korea. Which I think all koreans would like to see happen, as I think would pretty much everyone else
except china... there's that little detail.
eku Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote