Precursor to World War III? - Page 8 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Precursor to World War III?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #176 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
This may be a stupid question, but how does this work at the sharp end, with the people who actually launch the missiles after the order has been issued?

The folks in Nevada, or wherever it is, receive an order from the President to fire nuclear missiles. It is not confirmed by the Secretary of Defense, so they may act on it only if they are being told to execute a retaliatory strike.

Who decides that it's a retaliatory strike so they should go ahead with it?

It's a serious question, Pandora. On Maggie's account of things, under some circumstances the Secretary of Defense's confirmation is is required and under other circumstances it isn't.

If, therefore, the President issues an order to launch nuclear missiles which the Secretary of Defense refuses to confirm, and the President sacks him and issues the order anyway, someone somewhere in the chain of command has to decide -- on Maggie's account -- whether the unconfirmed order is sufficient authorization to launch nuclear missile or whether to ignore the order, pending further instructions.

That's a very serious decision for someone to have to make, so presumably it's made by someone pretty senior. I wonder who that is, if things are as Maggie describes.

I have to say that Eku's account sounds a lot more plausible to me, and squares with what I'd read about the precautions Kissinger took during Watergate -- that is, because his serious doubts (shared by others) about Nixon's mental stability, particularly after he'd been drinking, he was able to persuade various key people that if they received an unexpected order to launch nuclear missiles, they should seek his or the Secretary of Defense's approval before passing it down the chain of command. This, however, was a completely unofficial ad hoc arrangement, caused by the very usual circumstances.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #177 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
Now then, keep thinking about what that says and think. What happens if the Secretary of Defense doesn't confirm the launch order? What happens?
In that case, the President can go ahead with his order to launch.

The SecDef's approval is a desirable formality, not an absolute requirement. For example, if the next-in-line isn't available (death or such), the President needs no secondary approval at all. And as you said yourself, he can always fire the SecDef which basically gives the President sole authority in any case.

And FWIW, I didn't take your comments personally. I don't know your background and you didn't offer it, so I'm reserving my skepticism until/unless you explain how you feel you know so much with such certainty. In my case, I'm a voracious reader on the matter. I never claimed to have ultimate and unimpeachable knowledge. I've offered sources, and not just Vox, to support my position. You've only offered your opinion, which gives me license to dismiss it until provided with source of authority.

All this could have gone much better had you been more forthcoming instead of flouncing away. I'm always willing to be educated on something about which I'm not an expert. But it's your choice. Makes no nevermind.

Last edited by Cindy Claveau; 08-12-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #178 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
If, therefore, the President issues an order to launch nuclear missiles which the Secretary of Defense refuses to confirm, and the President sacks him and issues the order anyway, someone somewhere in the chain of command has to decide -- on Maggie's account -- whether the unconfirmed order is sufficient authorization to launch nuclear missile or whether to ignore the order, pending further instructions.
Certainly, there could be a top-level coup by cabinet members, but without the SecDef or other secondary command being present, the nuclear codes can be used and missiles launched.

Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #179 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
However, every cloud has a silver -- or, more likely, golden -- lining in Trump-world:

Quote:

President Trump on Friday assured the governor of Guam that the White House is “with you 1,000 percent” in the face of a threat from North Korea — and then told the governor that he’s becoming famous and predicted the attention would boost tourism “tenfold” in the U.S. territory.

Guam Gov. Eddie Baza Calvo (R) posted a video of his end of the call on Facebook, offering a candid glimpse of the dynamic between the two leaders.

[....]

Unprompted, Trump then offered this assessment: “Eddie, I have to tell you, you’ve become extremely famous. All over the world the world, they’re talking about Guam, and they’re talking about you, and I think — tourism, I can say this, your tourism, you’re going to go up like tenfold with the expenditure of no money, so I congratulate you. … It just looks like a beautiful place.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.210b0f35f65c
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #180 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Quote:

It's a serious question, Pandora. On Maggie's account of things, under some circumstances the Secretary of Defense's confirmation is is required and under other circumstances it isn't.

That's a very serious decision for someone to have to make, so presumably it's made by someone pretty senior. I wonder who that is, if things are as Maggie describes.

I have to say that Eku's account sounds a lot more plausible to me, and squares with what I'd read about the precautions Kissinger took during Watergate -- that is, because his serious doubts (shared by others) about Nixon's mental stability, particularly after he'd been drinking, he was able to persuade various key people that if they received an unexpected order to launch nuclear missiles, they should seek his or the Secretary of Defense's approval before passing it down the chain of command. This, however, was a completely unofficial ad hoc arrangement, caused by the very usual circumstances.
I got a groan from PandoraB as well for asking Maggie where she got her info from.

I think a shrug is called for.

Having said that, I wonder what Trump's generals will do if, say, "precautions" seem appropriate.

Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #181 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
I was waiting for someone to go there, but I didn't figure it would be you. That is why I don't come into this forum much any more. There is always someone here that wants to start dragging people through the mud instead of simply asking a polite question.

You could have simply asked how I know this or where I got my information from? But you had to get personal, didn't you?

Now then, from the looks of it. I don't have to explain anything. It looks like you are working it out for yourselves.
The only reason I said anything is because instead of offering links to back up your claims you offered nothing except your own words. Repeatedly. Expecting others to just take your word for something isn't productive.

Had I posted my question as to how you know when I first wanted to you wouldn't have said anything different.

The claims were yours. YOU should have backed them up if you want people to take you seriously.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #182 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne Korda View Post
Or you could have told us.

No need for specifics but it sort of helps, you know?

Or were you just spoiling for a fight?
Old 08-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #183 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
I miss those duck and cover drills from elementary school, and the civil defense ration crackers in the big tin.

You mean the drills that were basically to give kids some way they could feel in control of their fate because there is not much you can do in that situation.

As to the crackers, track down some military rations.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #184 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
Thermonuclear weapons have a fusion stage. It takes a smaller fission bomb to set them off. Geez, don't they teach nuclear physics in school any more?
I got Cs in quantum, cosmology and astrophysics were more my thing.

Besides which, that is just engineering. I would not know the state-of-the-art of our military if I had to answer it on pain of death.

edit: Arguments between theoretical scientists and experimental ones make star wars/star trek debates look tame.

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 08-12-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #185 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Otaku

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08-November-2005
Client: Second Life Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
It's OK.

This pic is beyond STUPID, this is not how it works!

Ranma Tardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #186 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma Tardis View Post
I believe it's an attempt at humour, Ranma.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #187 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Quote:
I believe it's an attempt at humour, Ranma.
Be careful, you're talking to Ranma. About comedy.
4 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #188 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Oops.
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #189 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
Be careful, you're talking to Ranma. About comedy.
Gosh yes, sorry.

Let me just add this... from here: Donald Trump presses a red button on his desk and a butler brings him a Coke | The Independent

"While there has been a great deal of speculation and consternation about the prospect of Donald Trump pressing the nuclear button, it turns out there is another button the President is privy to.

Mr Trump has a special wooden box on his desk in the Oval Office of the White House containing a single button which he has been using to order glasses of Coca-Cola.

The rectangular box is located on the Resolute Desk which Presidents have used for decades.

President Trump's penchant for the soda was revealed in his Associated Press interview inside the Oval Office ahead of his 100th day as President.
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #190 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:

I guess if we can limit the big red buttons to food and beverage deliveries, then we'll be fine.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #191 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
I guess if we can limit the big red buttons to food and beverage deliveries, then we'll be fine.
More evidence that he did not actually want to BE president (make decisions and stuff) but just win the prize. Maybe we can convince everyone on the planet to agree to call him the POTUS and meanwhile we retroactively roll back everything he has done since he declared (including getting rid of everyone he hired).
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #192 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
That's totally how it works.

The snake is spring-loaded and squeezed into the fake Pringles can. Pop the top and BOOM! SNAKE! Comedy gold.

I have seen it dozens of times and it never fails.

Wut.

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #193 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Otaku

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08-November-2005
Client: Second Life Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Pelous View Post
That's totally how it works.

The snake is spring-loaded and squeezed into the fake Pringles can. Pop the top and BOOM! SNAKE! Comedy gold.

I have seen it dozens of times and it never fails.

Wut.
It is not funny
Ranma Tardis is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Laughed:
Old 08-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #194 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
It is not funny
Actually, yes, it is.

I agree that the PresiDunce is, really, not funny but sometimes a little humour does help keep us sane.

Do feel free to argue, however, why it's bad that some of us use humour to deal with stuff (while taking it extremely seriously).
Old 08-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #195 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:

Quote:
It is not funny
Critics...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #196 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Tough crowd, I tell ya. Tough!

Casey Pelous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #197 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Old 08-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #198 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Who decides that it's a retaliatory strike so they should go ahead with it?
That's what the whole military chain of command is for. There are infrared satellites whose job is to detect rocket launches, and there are also nuclear detection sensors on the GPS satellites which pick up the radiation from an explosion. Finally, there are all kinds of radars which can track missiles in flight. The combination lets the military say with certainty "this rocket launched from here, and delivered a warhead there".

That information gets sent up the chain of command to the Secretary of Defense or National Security Advisor, whoever is advising the President at the time, and back down as orders to whoever is in position to retaliate. I'm sure there are detailed plans for retaliation, they have had decades to work those out and gather intelligence on the NK military.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #199 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
You mean the drills that were basically to give kids some way they could feel in control of their fate because there is not much you can do in that situation.
I hope you realize I was joking about missing the civil defense drills. They were scary as fuck.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #200 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
Quote:
OK I've consumed too much news these last few days but yesterday, one one source (CNN? Politico? Can't remember, sorry) there was a team on the streets in a large US city (again, not sure which and sorry again). They asked people to point to where North Korea is on a world map.

Well, I have no idea how many people they asked but from the segment, one guy got it right. ONE.

Others pointed to Canada, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, India... you get my drift. A LOT of them pointed to Canada or Russia.

I found it totally depressing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
I was happy at least the punker in the misfits tee pointed more or less right at it.

And I spent a lot of time going WTF?!?!?! at my monitor.

Also, think it was a late night show - whichever one has Jimmy Fallon.
I think it was Jimmy Kimmel. That's the sort of thing he likes to do on his ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live. In which case it would have been outside his studio in Hollywood.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed: