Precursor to World War III? - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Precursor to World War III?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #51 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Last I read, it's the sort of thing that might work but is not to be relied on.
yeah, I'd guess it's way more problematic than folks generally think.

Fundamentally, it seems to me (not an engineer but I play one on the internet...) it's tough enough to get in the same area as something traveling that fast. Really fast. We're talking a matter of minutes from the time a missile can be detected and tracked and the time it reaches its target. Barely time to duck and cover, you know?

If you manage that, you can maybe disassemble it, but all the stuff is still in the air, and probably even on the downward half of its trajectory. So it's going to arrive somewhere near the target, just in pieces. Does the "go bang" piece still work? Meh, who knows? The rocket itself is rather fragile, but I'd guess that bang part is pretty durable. If I was making one (I'm not, btw) that's how I'd design it.

So .... vaporize it? Well ...... then we still have what I suppose they have some euphemism for, like "a detonation event" or "Bright Star, general, we can confirm a Bright Star" or "holy shit, what a clusterfuck."

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #52 (permalink)

Gore

SL Join Date: 2004
Business: primOptic eyewear
Nuclear bombs don't "go bang". They need a very precise sequence of events to start a nuclear chain reaction, and they are actually designed to survive crashes and impacts without "going bang" (you don't want to wipe out half of California if a B-2 crashes).

The worst that would happen if you intercept an incoming ICBM or warhead is that you end up spreading radioactive material over the impact area.
Nibb Tardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #53 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
One of the first math problems scientists solved was telling the difference between a real warhead and a much lighter decoy -- their flight trajectories are different. Sure, you could weight them the same if you wanted to spend the money, but why not just make it a real nuke instead of a decoy?

For your second point, estimates place DPRK's arsenal at around 20 nukes. None have been mounted in missiles yet, that we know of. Maybe they'll use FedEx?
You answered your own question. Typically an arsenal is of finite size ... weapons grade material is not exactly something you have a spare ton or so of lying around. Say our best estimate is that NK has 20 bombs. Suddenly 25 missiles get fired off to Guam. Do we chalk it up to an intelligence failure or think there is a high likelihood 5 are duds? In the latter case, they would know if you are going to go to the expense of building a missile you may as well put in 5 dummy payloads.

The problem is they have to hope there is extra room for the payload in those missiles. Fissile material is heavy so a dummy payload would have to be bigger.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibb Tardis View Post
Nuclear bombs don't "go bang". They need a very precise sequence of events to start a nuclear chain reaction, and they are actually designed to survive crashes and impacts without "going bang" (you don't want to wipe out half of California if a B-2 crashes).

The worst that would happen if you intercept an incoming ICBM or warhead is that you end up spreading radioactive material over the impact area.
Actually, I was just thinking that that is PRECISELY why NK would want to do the exact opposite. So what if you do not get that pretty mushroom cloud? You now have a huge dirty bomb, which is a weapon meant to terrorize.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #55 (permalink)

Maybe they want to fire off fake ones as a show of force and fury. Even given their state of mind they might realize they will be bombed to hell and back if they send real ones.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #56 (permalink)
It's me.

*SLU Supporter*

Just another muppet.

SL Join Date: March 2007
Client: Official browser
Quote:

Agree, in general, but a relatively low budget country like NK?
Do they bother about safety for their own people. Or is their main concern that the stuff explodes somewhere, somehow when they fire it?
They know damn well that firing these crackers will take place in the last hours of existence of their regime and probably their country.
So why spend years of engineering on safety, if you can use it on firepower as well?
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #57 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
In the Netherlands we have a saying: Barking dogs seldom bite.
*coughs*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barking_Dogs_Never_Bite
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #58 (permalink)

Gore

SL Join Date: 2004
Business: primOptic eyewear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
Agree, in general, but a relatively low budget country like NK?
Do they bother about safety for their own people. Or is their main concern that the stuff explodes somewhere, somehow when they fire it?
They know damn well that firing these crackers will take place in the last hours of existence of their regime and probably their country.
So why spend years of engineering on safety, if you can use it on firepower as well?
It's not even about safety. You actually have to go to some extreme lengths to get a nuclear explosion. It simply doesn't happen just by hitting the bomb with a hammer or shooting it with another missile.
Nibb Tardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #59 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
You answered your own question. Typically an arsenal is of finite size ... weapons grade material is not exactly something you have a spare ton or so of lying around. Say our best estimate is that NK has 20 bombs. Suddenly 25 missiles get fired off to Guam. Do we chalk it up to an intelligence failure or think there is a high likelihood 5 are duds? In the latter case, they would know if you are going to go to the expense of building a missile you may as well put in 5 dummy payloads.
They can build missiles as payload transports more easily than they can build more nuclear weapons - as you say, a real nuke is going to be heavy and expensive.

None of which addresses my point: if you're concerned about ABM interceptions, a fraction of your live warheads are going to be dummies. That guarantees that more of your actual warheads are going to get through.

Not that I believe they're at that point yet. I don't, quite honestly.

Quote:
The problem is they have to hope there is extra room for the payload in those missiles. Fissile material is heavy so a dummy payload would have to be bigger.
It wouldn't need to be bigger. In fact, it could constitute the entire payload of a missile. We don't know what they're thinking.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #60 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky

Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #61 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Quote:
That may well be the case with nuclear warheads from 'sensible' countries, but can you be sure that Best Korea have taken that route in their design philosophy ?
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #62 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Worth a look; North Korea explained in graphics | North Korea | Al Jazeera
Of particularly relevance:
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #63 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
The Orange One just doubled-down on North Korea:

Quote:
President Donald Trump says that perhaps his ‘fire and fury’ warning to North Korea “wasn’t tough enough.” Trump is issuing a new warning over the North’s development of nuclear weapons.

Trump says North Korea “better get their act together or they are going to be in trouble like few nations have ever been in trouble.”
The Latest: UN leader ‘troubled’ by rhetoric on North Korea | Associated Press

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #64 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
What's the state of the art in defending against ICBMs? Is it not possible to destroy them en route? (Not necessarily safely, but much moreso than once runaway fission begins)
You can read about it right from the people whose job it is
Basically different types of interceptor missiles that hit the warhead to destroy it. Our military is starting to field advanced weapons like lasers and railguns, but I don't think they are capable of hitting ballistic missiles yet.

I worked on the "Star Wars" missile defense program, but that was 30 years ago and classified. So my personal knowledge is out of date and I can't talk about it anyway.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #65 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Kim: I can hit Alaska from my house.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #66 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Penguins Rule!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2011
Business: Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by eku Zhong View Post
Sooner or later one of the two buffoons is going to press a button.
I have my doubts that it will be Trump that presses the "button." Unlike what Hollywood would have people to believe, there is no "button." For the US to nuclear weapons in a first strike there is a precise series events that must take place. Among them are others agreeing, like the Secretary of Defense, that nuclear weapons must be used. What Trump is, is the last line in this chain.

Of course if nuclear weapons are used against the US or any allies, then I believe the chain of command no longer applies. In that case, I believe, sole discretion does lie in the hands of the President.

So the good news is the orange buffoon can't just roll out of bed and say nuke the fuckers. As for short, round in NK. I have no ideal.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 PM   #67 (permalink)
a sherpa of your emotions

*SLU Supporter*

rotisserie compulsive

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

In Queso Emergency 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post

So the good news is the orange buffoon can't just roll out of bed and say nuke the fuckers. As for short, round in NK. I have no ideal.
Very sorry but, no.
The orange buffoon can launch nukes whenever and wherever he pleases and nobody can do a thing to stop him.

He does not even need to get out of bed to do it.

How Trump can launch nuclear weapons - Business Insider

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mili...clear-weapons/
Old 08-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #68 (permalink)
Lady Tardis of Caledon

Osole

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08-November-2005
Client: Second Life Viewer
Quote:
Very sorry but, no.
The orange buffoon can launch nukes whenever and wherever he pleases and nobody can do a thing to stop him.

You are wrong, very wrong. Nuclear weapons employ the two person rule. If Trump wants to launch a nuclear strike, he needs to get the Secretary of Defense to Agree. Then a congressional committee needs to be informed.

Trump can not launch nuclear weapons on a whim and if things get out of hand Pence can replace him with support of the cabinet.

Ranma Tardis is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Disagreed:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #69 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

rotisserie compulsive

My Mood:

In Queso Emergency 
Authorization of a nuclear or strategic attack[edit]

Only the President can direct the use of nuclear weapons by U.S. armed forces, including the Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP). While the President does have unilateral authority as commander-in-chief to order that nuclear weapons be used for any reason at any time, the actual procedures and technical systems in place for authorizing the execution of a launch order requires a secondary confirmation under a two-man rule, as the President's order is subject to secondary confirmation by the Secretary of Defense. If the Secretary of Defense does not concur, then the President may in his sole discretion fire the Secretary. The Secretary of Defense has legal authority to approve the order, but cannot veto it.[1][2][3]
eku Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #70 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Penguins Rule!

My Mood:
Quote:
Very sorry but, no.

I don't know where the author of that article got his information but it's completely wrong. The verification process that I outlined above was put in place to prevent just such a "incident" from occurring. The release of nuclear weapons requires two codes. One is in the hands of the president, one is in the hands of the secretary of defense. If the secretary doesn't agree then he/she is under no such compulsion to do so.

Now then the president can fire the secretary of defense but can't appoint a new one right then and there. I'm not sure where the second code goes from there. I think it might be the speaker of the house (god help us) or it might go the chairman of the joint chief of staff. I'm not really sure there.

furthermore, if the president was to start acting in a insane or irrational manner, wanting to nuke someone I think counts, the vice president has the power to step in and remove him from office. This of course is an extreme action and also requires the agreement of several members of executive branch.

So, no, that crazy fucking pumpkin doesn't have the power to just nuke someone. He can order a conventional attack or course, but nuclear weapons can not come into play.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-10-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #71 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Penguins Rule!

My Mood:
Quote:
If the Secretary of Defense does not concur, then the President may in his sole discretion fire the Secretary. The Secretary of Defense has legal authority to approve the order, but cannot veto it.[1][2][3]
True the Secretary cannot veto a launch, but also doesn't have to confirm it. An yes the president my fire the secretary but he can't replace him. So if he does fire him, that still will not allow him to launch on his own.

Plus there is more to it than just at two man rule. Before a launch recommendation goes to the presidents desk, the Joint Chiefs have to agree that a first strike is warranted. Then it goes to the secretary of defense who also has to agree that a first strike is warranted. Only then does the recommendation go to the president for the final approval.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-10-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #73 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

rotisserie compulsive

My Mood:

In Queso Emergency 
If President Trump Ordered A Nuclear Strike, No One Could Stop Him | HuffPost
eku Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #74 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
If Trump were to unilaterally give the order to launch nukes and doesn't have the support of his SecDef and VP, I think that would just about cook his goose as Pres unless he's ordering a retaliatory strike of some kind.

A pre-emptive strike carries so many onerous moral questions with it that not even the spineless Congress would be able to overlook an outrage like this. Millions of people would die, but we'd also be done with Donnie.

I hope it never comes to that, but this is what happens when the alt-right gets their hand on the levers of power.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
If Trump were to unilaterally give the order to launch nukes and doesn't have the support of his SecDef and VP, I think that would just about cook his goose as Pres unless he's ordering a retaliatory strike of some kind.
His goose might be cooked but it might not matter with the rest of us cooking by then too.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote