Latest trigger for fragile masculinity? Women with milkshakes. - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Latest trigger for fragile masculinity? Women with milkshakes.

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraMcLean View Post
idk, last I checked I had a vagina and yes, Marvel has gone to crap because of the social justice nonsense, I know very few other male or female readers are willing to give them a, third? fourth chance at this point?
Thanks for reminding me to go pick up the new copy of Alters this afternoon.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorus Xi View Post

Then maybe follow up with some Squirrel Girl

Written by a man, but drawn buy a woman.

I agree with your point but I really really can't stand the art on Squirrel Girl.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
LMAO

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishina View Post
Elaborate.
Its simple really, quality of the product was in decline, the actual stories, other elements like artwork remained fine but instead of recognising and working on the actual problem they tried to catch the diversity buck, new characters of different ethnicity's or genders, fine, problem was, the stories were still junk, with more and more ludicrous social justice shoehorned in that made everyone's eyes role.

They all failed, many of us gave them a chance and tried them, not all of them on my own part but a fair amount and they were fairly universally awful.

At this point they blamed the consumers for not wanting diversity, which is utter nonsense, what the actual readers want is stories and arc's that aren't abysmal, gender and race don't come into it, and definitely not sexual orientation.

Add to that they screwed with characters that have been established for 10, 20, 30, 40+ years.

Yea, they aren't selling because the consumer is the problem... its not because its pandering crap targeting a demographic that treat comics with disdain and will never purchase them.

Oh no, wait, that is why.
CaraMcLean is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Awww:
2 Users Groaned:
2 Users Disagreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
Old Cynic

*SLU Supporter*

Awards: 1
Special Achievemnt In Group Action 
Quote:
its pandering crap targeting a demographic that treat comics with disdain and will never purchase them.
What demographic would that be? Your implication appears to suggest that you mean 'women'.

Oh boy are you in trouble now.

Erich Templar
Textures, prefabs, more textures....
http://www.templarcreations.com
Templar Creations Main Store (SLURL)
SL Marketplace Merchant Page
Erich Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
I love when someone comes along and proves 'why yes, a woman CAN be a misogynistic troll'.

I guess if all you want from your stories is the typical females in impossible poses to show off T&A at the same time, and all the characters that aren't white as stereotypical as possible, then Marvel is icky [and I'll bet you did NOT like the era before DC brought back all the Green Lantern Corp, before they went back to the 70s and sucking again].

I have my own opinions on turning Thor into a woman [I don't like it, because it goes against the real Thor, as does the blonde hair, and there are plenty of kickass goddesses they could have made a new title with]. I think they need to do more with NEW heroes, too, but i get sticking with the classics; much like how DC won't ever retire their longtime heroes].

But while I didn't really like the Squirrel Girl art at first, omg, the stories are amazingly funny and heartwarming.

But sure, having females and heroes that cover the whole range of peoples on this planet without being raging stereotypes is pandering..

PS, a dear friend of mine and I decided to play sibling heroes once [before he died], and he told me to come up with a last name. So I'm tossing out different european last names and he actually told me 'pick a 'normal' name. So, to go back to these 'traditional, non-pandering' stories means going to english centric comics, excluding even properly treating German, French, Italian descended heroes. So, from this mostly German and Eastern Euro woman? Feck off.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Templar View Post
What demographic would that be? Your implication appears to suggest that you mean 'women'.

You know, I missed that part.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
LMAO

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Templar View Post

People, whatever gender they are who bleat on about social justice and diversity.

Oh, but, if its so desirable, why are sales shit?
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Said WTF?:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 08-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Decided to drop Alters and add Kim&Kim to my pull list instead. I gave Alters too many chances and being able to get in on the new #1 of K&K (and ordering the trade of the previous/first year) seemed like the ideal time to hop to a better book with a T character.
1 User Likes This:
Old 08-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #34 (permalink)

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
SJW!

Tumblr!

Feminazis!

ALL Lives Matter!

Blah blah blah...

(You really don't need to read past anything after nonsense like that is posted.)
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 08-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #35 (permalink)
LMAO

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
SJW!

Tumblr!

Feminazis!

ALL Lives Matter!

Blah blah blah...

(You really don't need to read past anything after nonsense like that is posted.)
Exactly why the readers aren't buying any more.
1 User Groaned:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 08-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #36 (permalink)

Instead of speaking about the changes you don't like as much, the stories you are less interested in, the art you like or dislike, assholes fixate on women, diversity, SJW, and even Tumblr for god's sake.

And let's not forget milkshakes...

You make it so easy to see what is really behind your complaints.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #37 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
I guess if all you want from your stories is the typical females in impossible poses to show off T&A at the same time
Rob Liefeld. It's okay, you can just come out and say straight up "Rob Liefeld".

Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyE View Post
I guess her milkshakes brought all the boys to the yard.

2 Users Like This:
Old 08-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #39 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

The new book:

Old 08-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #40 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Awards: 2
Supermodel of the World 
Well i know that people bitching about those gosh darn sjws has really killed my love for comics/video games/movies/etc.

Y'know, back in the day I never felt like the loser people tried to make me feel like for liking comics and games but god damn the way things are now it's fucking embarrassing.

Ahaha, such a simpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how she waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. So long, Sere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
That's your own fault. I took your panties out of your mouth pages ago. Now you just like them there.
Lady Darnk Juniorette is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 08-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #41 (permalink)
When's lunch?

Mama's babygirl :D

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Long long ago.
Client: Viewer 3, Firestorm

Send a message via Skype™ to Rodeejah Urquan
What did I tell y'all. >.>
Old 08-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #42 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refreshing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Supermodel of the World 
*ruins the fun by complaining about people ruinning the fun who were never ruinning the fun in the first place*

And thats how the attitude about modern comics or whatever you'd call it came to be!!!!

Last edited by Lady Darnk Juniorette; 08-04-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: fuckboys complaining about sjws, mind you
Lady Darnk Juniorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #43 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Darnk Juniorette View Post
Well i know that people bitching about those gosh darn sjws has really killed my love for comics/video games/movies/etc.

Y'know, back in the day I never felt like the loser people tried to make me feel like for liking comics and games but god damn the way things are now it's fucking embarrassing.
Yeah, it's one thing to be thought of as a geek (or is it nerd) for liking comics and video games, but fuck the idea I have anything to do with the misogynistic and racist arseholes who seem to have risen from the swamp.
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #44 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

I'm still waiting for an explanation that isn't "look how totes kewl and edgy I am, guys who hate women!"

Girl, they care less about your opinion on their comic books than they do about the women who edit, write or draw art for them. You're even more of a fake geek girl to them because you're just a consumer.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

/me sips on her frappe

Too French?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #46 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gender may be an issue to some, but I'm seeing something else. I'm seeing the 'cool kids' clique taking over the nerd table.

The ugly and socially awkward nerd crowd turned to esoteric sciences, technology, and fantasies of the like. Much of which would be covered in simplistic forms by the comic book industry. Rejects and outliers had something to turn to. Particularly the ones who felt that D&D was even beyond their social capacity.

In short, comics have been an escape for people incapable of a social life.

Now we see attractive social people putting their own faces on what once was a bastion for ugly lost loners. The rejects are getting rejected all over again. And, apparently supposed to just accept it and slink down to the next cesspool of existence available to the dull and ugly.

I don't read comics. But I am dull and ugly. I turned to electronics and computers to cope with the isolation I experienced in school. As such, my life has become ingrained in electronics and computers. I have been lucky enough to find a way to make money with the outcome. But, I'm no less dull, awkward, or ugly. And, if the environment I've been able to fit into gets enveloped by popular, trendy, beautiful people; my only options are push back or end it. Seems to me the comic book crowd have drawn themselves enough hero role models to push back.
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said WTF?:
Old 08-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Wait. Is Immy trying to make the point that only beautiful, trendy 'cool kids' people drink milk shakes?
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 08-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #48 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Darnk Juniorette View Post

I can dig that. I was a little different though. When I was a kid, there were some things that I liked, even -really- liked, but deliberately didn't get deeply "into" because I didn't want to be seen as a geek by my peers.

As an adult, though, there have been things I really liked but deliberately never got really into because I didn't want to chance anybody thinking I was part of the toxic hardcore fan base.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #49 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

No offense Immy, but that's a bunch of horseshit.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #50 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Quote:
Its simple really, quality of the product was in decline, the actual stories, other elements like artwork remained fine but instead of recognising and working on the actual problem they tried to catch the diversity buck, new characters of different ethnicity's or genders, fine, problem was, the stories were still junk, with more and more ludicrous social justice shoehorned in that made everyone's eyes role.

They all failed, many of us gave them a chance and tried them, not all of them on my own part but a fair amount and they were fairly universally awful.

At this point they blamed the consumers for not wanting diversity, which is utter nonsense, what the actual readers want is stories and arc's that aren't abysmal, gender and race don't come into it, and definitely not sexual orientation.

Add to that they screwed with characters that have been established for 10, 20, 30, 40+ years.

Yea, they aren't selling because the consumer is the problem... its not because its pandering crap targeting a demographic that treat comics with disdain and will never purchase them.

Oh no, wait, that is why.
What a bunch of horseshit. Marvel has always had a stable of strong women and the X-Men & New Mutants in particular have always had a diverse cast. Storm, Colossus, Thunderbird, Mirage, Jubilee, Sunspot come to mind very quickly. Kitty Pryde is Jewish. Nightcrawler was always conscious of his blue fur whereas Mystique embraced her looks.

Diversity in and of itself has never been the problem. Quality of writing may be a problem, and usually is, regardless of the medium. I stopped collecting when I hit college because of lack of access at the time but I don't regret it because what came after is largely a bunch of dreck.

What it sounds like is going on here is a bunch of fragile white people with victim complexes taking it out on the comics, which have always featured a pretty wide range of characters and using it as a hobby horse. If you thought the stories were compelling, you'd buy them. If you reject the stories without reading just because it's got a person of color or of another religion at the center, you're a bigoted asshole and that's your problem.

As the article I linked above stated, the teams centered on white males are the ones having the biggest losses. All indicators of the reasons for that decline is that that the writing sucks. Bad writing will always do that. But sure, it's easy to blame diversity. You people need to get offline, out of reddit, and frigging go outside a while. Sheesh.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This: