Latest trigger for fragile masculinity? Women with milkshakes. - Page 16 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Latest trigger for fragile masculinity? Women with milkshakes.

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #376 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caete View Post
How uncouth! I daresay the word you are looking for is
Bloody greengrocers!

Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #377 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Hornswoggler!!
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #378 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriell Anatra View Post
Of course we lost all but the last non-used bookstore years ago. Barnes & Noble is still hanging on by the skin of it's teeth.

People are moving to downloadable en masse. It's also tough to get cassette tapes here too, and is getting harder to get CDs. Welcome to the modern age.
I'm slowly getting caught up in this thread, so please forgive the age of the post to which I'm replying.

I will be sad to see printed media go. I am one of those old fogeys who appreciates handling a physical book, pulling one down off the shelf, giving it a sniff, and flipping through its pages. I can never settle into a comfortable chair with a tablet and read it for hours at a time. At the very least, one thought that would occupy my mind is, what happens when the charge runs out on this thing?

I also buy CDs, though admittedly the first thing I do when I get them home is rip them to MP3s and store the CDs somewhere safe. Since Amazon offers MP3s in high variable bitrates, I do buy those as well. I will not be sad to see cassettes go, however. They were always cantankerous beasts that have been more trouble than they're worth. But if I should get the unlikely urge, the used record store here also sells tapes. And CDs.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #379 (permalink)

As far as books go, they're doing ok.

Real books are back. E-book sales plunge nearly 20% - Apr. 27, 2017
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-13-2017, 12:32 AM   #380 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
Check out The Cars debut album though~
I've got all of them, including the one they released a few years ago.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #381 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Since we're talking about (web)comics here, let me recommend this one:

Gunnerkrigg Court - By Tom Siddell
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -- C. Johnson
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #382 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
When I was a tween getting into comics in the 80s, it wasn't this bad. The guy who ran the comic shop was totally cool and he would let me spend hours reading. Of course, I was also buying a good bit, but all that I wanted to read, he let me. I never felt uncomfortable in a shop back then. What the heck happened?
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #383 (permalink)
Old Cynic

*SLU Supporter*

Client: Firestorm

Special Achievemnt In Group Action 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
I will be sad to see printed media go. I am one of those old fogeys who appreciates handling a physical book, pulling one down off the shelf, giving it a sniff, and flipping through its pages.
I have a pretty extensive set of bookshelves. Some books I would happily replace with e-books, because their content is far more important than their physical aspect (but see below for a caveat).

There are others where I really want the physical book, for one reason or another. For example, I have a copy of Dante's Inferno with illustrations by Gustave Dore. It is a mighty tome -- about 1.5 ft by 2 ft I think -- and I love it and would hate to ever part with it. Others are simply easier to read in physical form.

I could slim down my physical library considerably, and would love to replace a lot of my books with e-books ... except that I refuse to buy anything which has DRM, and that pretty much eliminates anything which isn't out of copyright (with a few honourable exceptions).

Erich Templar
Textures, prefabs, more textures....
http://www.templarcreations.com
Templar Creations Main Store (SLURL)
SL Marketplace Merchant Page
Erich Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #384 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
Not only is there the problem with the decor for a lot of these places, but before our local comic shopped moved and started having female management, the clientele was pretty horribad and I hated going in - its still not completely comfortable for me, but its not nearly so bad; maybe because I'm not the only chick in the joint.
As long as the store owners are not killer robots with lasers:

DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #385 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Templar View Post
I could slim down my physical library considerably, and would love to replace a lot of my books with e-books ... except that I refuse to buy anything which has DRM, and that pretty much eliminates anything which isn't out of copyright (with a few honourable exceptions).
That's how I feel as well. That's another reason I like physical books and CDs, though thankfully many music retailers like Amazon and Google Play have seen the light regarding how draconian DRM in music is and switched to MP3s. Server-based DRM is the worst, because if the authentication server ever goes offline (say, the company you "bought" the media through goes out of business). then you lose everything you paid for.
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-13-2017, 11:51 PM   #386 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:33 AM   #387 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
I'm slowly getting caught up in this thread, so please forgive the age of the post to which I'm replying.

I will be sad to see printed media go. I am one of those old fogeys who appreciates handling a physical book, pulling one down off the shelf, giving it a sniff, and flipping through its pages. I can never settle into a comfortable chair with a tablet and read it for hours at a time. At the very least, one thought that would occupy my mind is, what happens when the charge runs out on this thing?

I also buy CDs, though admittedly the first thing I do when I get them home is rip them to MP3s and store the CDs somewhere safe. Since Amazon offers MP3s in high variable bitrates, I do buy those as well. I will not be sad to see cassettes go, however. They were always cantankerous beasts that have been more trouble than they're worth. But if I should get the unlikely urge, the used record store here also sells tapes. And CDs.
I'm pretty sure you're a US resident (don't know the situation in other countries) so there should be a Public Library near you, thanks to Ben Franklin. It's true, you have to be patient with new releases that are popular—they get on a bunch of people's lists so you may have to wait a while for one of those.

On the other hand when you just select a book at random because something about it calls to you (surely I am not the only person who does that), then really like the book and wonder if that person has written anything else, there's always the chance you'll hunt down the name in the stacks and see a bunch of other books by them.

That's the best present of all.
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #388 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Levenque View Post
On the other hand when you just select a book at random because something about it calls to you (surely I am not the only person who does that), then really like the book and wonder if that person has written anything else, there's always the chance you'll hunt down the name in the stacks and see a bunch of other books by them.
I'm the opposite, I have no more room for physical books, but have found lots of new authors and new works through my Kindle - I average around 50 a year. In fact getting a Kindle has re-ignited a love of the written word I used to have when I commuted for a couple of hours a day (by train), and got through 3 or 4 books a week, largely from the local library.
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 08-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #389 (permalink)

My Mood:
I stopped going to comic book shops because there's always one socially awkward smelly nerd dwelling in a corner wearing a lady death T-shirt who leers at anything female that walks in the door. If I can't bring my girlfriend I ain't going.
Jorus Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #390 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Super Science Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Hornswoggler!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #391 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
I do not want my horns woggled.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 08-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #392 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriell Anatra View Post
I do not want my horns woggled.
No no dear. Horn swoggle, not horns woggle.

Quote:
horn·swog·gle
ˈhôrnˌswäɡəl/
verb NORTH AMERICAN informal

past tense: hornswoggled; past participle: hornswoggled
  • get the better of (someone) by cheating or deception.
    "you mean to say you were hornswoggled?"
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed: