NPR tweets the Declaration of Independence and right wingers are outraged - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » NPR tweets the Declaration of Independence and right wingers are outraged

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
NPR tweets the Declaration of Independence and right wingers are outraged

Twitter

They don't get Julius Caesar OR the Declaration of Independence...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 07-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
I am going to guess someone said twitter was beneath the dignity of such an important document. Then completely was perplexed at all the laughter their tweet got.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-05-2017, 03:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
I am going to guess someone said twitter was beneath the dignity of such an important document. Then completely was perplexed at all the laughter their tweet got.
Nope.

Quote:
So, NPR is calling for revolution. Interesting way to condone the violence while trying to sound 'patriotic'. You're implications are clear.
Hilarity ensued.

I have the feeling the idiot who said that thought they were tweeting about assTrumpet.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-05-2017, 04:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Plot twist:

Twitter

He admits his fuckup and owns it.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Plot twist:

He admits his fuckup and owns it.
I don't see it that way, Kamilah. Or at least, that one statement isn't proof of that IMO.

Yeah, okay, he seems to admit he didn't know that NPR was posting was the Declaration of Independence - okay, that's fine. But not recognizing the DoI is only half the joke. The other half, and it's probably the most important half, is that while not aware of that context, he and other people recognized in these statements criticisms of Donald Trump, and for that reason disagreed with them.

So okay fine, now he's been made aware that it's the DoI, and being a conservative he has an obligation to profess an unqualified love for Magical Founder Artifacts like the Declaration of Independence so he concedes it was embarrassing that he didn't recognize it, and of course says the DoI is an important document that everyone "needs to read". But what about disagreeing with those passages when he mistakenly thought they were arguments being made against Donald Trump? I haven't seen his Twitter history, so maybe he went on to say "and this realization has forced me to take a long, hard look at my reflexive support of Donald Trump". But, you know, I betcha he didn't. And if he didn't, then that's not really ownership, that's just ducking the cognitive dissonance.

This is a repeat of an incident that happened a few months ago, when as part of the viral marketing for a new show adapted from The Man in the High Castle - an alternate-history novel in which Nazi Germany won WWII and eventually took over the United States - Amazon created social media accounts for a fake "Resistance" movement, having them tweet general "fight back against the Nazi/fascist power" messages. Trump supporters became aware of the tweets and, despite the fact that obviously none of them ever mentioned Trump or referred to any real person or event, decided that the messages were about "resisting Donald Trump" and the fake anti-nazi social media accounts were actually an anti-Trump lib propaganda organization.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

There's more than one statement on his twitter feed if you take the time to look. You're basically on the ball there anyway, he's politically the direction you say but seems like a dude I could argue with over beer and a pool table and come away with a handshake.
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
It's like "watering the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants and patriots" is fine and dandy when the tyrant is Obama. Get thee to the gun-mart and stock up on the 2nd amendment and prepare for civil war v2.0.

But now that Obama is left the scene and someone (Hodgkinson in this case) actually takes those words literally, it's all about the violent left.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
♂♂

*SLU Supporter*

*Poof!*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25th May 2007

You and your bloody acronyms... Please can someone spell out NPR I can't be arsed to google yet another US acronym.
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

National Public Radio. Our version of the BBC, in a way, and one of the most respected news sources in the country. It's up there with the NYT, the WP, and the WSJ. Well, alright, the WSJ editorial board lives on another planet, but it doesn't get in the way of the news reporting.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.

Last edited by Soen Eber; 07-05-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
National Public Radio = A government funded commercial free radio network. PBS for radio.
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
National Public Radio = A government funded commercial free radio network. PBS for radio.
It's actually almost entirely membership and sponsor based, with just a few percent from the government. If funding got cut off it would hurt, but NPR would survive quite well. It might be the death sentence for PBS (Public Broadcasting Service (Television)) and Big Bird, however.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
By the way, has anyone else realized that the 2nd amendment doesn't refer specifically to guns?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Yet, no one in this country gets annoyed that they can't carry knives past a certain length, or concealed, or swords. Nope, its all about the guns, but correct me if I'm wrong, an 'arm' is a weapon, right?

And if you go by what the founding fathers really meant, then it only refers to 16th century fire arms, not modern guns.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Disagreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
And if you go by what the founding fathers really meant, then it only refers to 16th century fire arms, not modern guns.
Umm....late 18th century....

No need for wheellocks. You can have a flintlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTWNBBFN
We face an unprecedented moment in this country. Today's greatest threat is not climate change, not pollution, not flood or fire. It's that we've got people in charge of important shit who don't believe in science.

Harrison Ford

Last edited by Veritable Quandry; 07-05-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post
You and your bloody acronyms... Please can someone spell out NPR I can't be arsed to google yet another US acronym.
Oy! We know what BBC and such are. Most of us even the difference between MI-5 and MI-6.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
By the way, has anyone else realized that the 2nd amendment doesn't refer specifically to guns?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Yet, no one in this country gets annoyed that they can't carry knives past a certain length, or concealed, or swords. Nope, its all about the guns, but correct me if I'm wrong, an 'arm' is a weapon, right?

Arms means weapons, specifically in context of the time weapons used in wars. your own statement that it does not specifically say guns (which would just as likely mean cannons at the time) should have been the clue that it refers to a category and not a specific item limited by time.

and fwiw, yes there are plenty of people that chafe at idiotic knife laws, although as of yet no one has suggested licensing or registering them. combined with the fact that they are no longer effective weapons of war, it's kinda hard to get people riled up about them.

While I may agree with limitations on gun ownership and use, even as an advocate, I don't see how trying to weasel alternate meanings out of what was written serves anyone. We absolutely have the right as citizens to demand that things be rewritten to serve modern needs, but trying to reinterpret the past puts all our rights at risk, not just the ones we feel no longer serve us.
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Scanned

Vividly returning to '50s era McCarthyism.

Conservatives triggered by Declaration of Independence is not new.
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:

Had you not been born yet when everyone I knew was having shit fits when they started passing the restrictions on knives? Those laws were passed long enough ago that no one still believes they can be repealed or amended but recently enough for me to clearly remember how pissed off people were.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soen Eber View Post
It's actually almost entirely membership and sponsor based, with just a few percent from the government. If funding got cut off it would hurt, but NPR would survive quite well. It might be the death sentence for PBS (Public Broadcasting Service (Television)) and Big Bird, however.
Except Big Bird is on HBO now.
Jopsy Pendragon is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

America: Way Down, Big Trouble, Dead!

Most Appropriate  Forum Avatar 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsy Pendragon View Post
Except Big Bird is on HBO now.
He is? *confused*
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Zeno View Post
He is? *confused*
Yep, the whole street moved over like two years ago. =)
Jopsy Pendragon is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Of course they're outraged. They hate what the US is, despite all their "patriotic" posturing. Their idea of what the US should be stands in opposition to what most of the founding fathers believed in.
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/20/2017
Client: I'm going to use Radegast. Just have to sort out some technical things first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana View Post
https://twitter.com/jbillinson/statu...18386143260673

They don't get Julius Caesar OR the Declaration of Independence...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
National Public Radio is a great news source indeed. That is, if you're a news hound and I'm starting to become one again. If memory is correct, my mother actually met one of the co-founders of NPR several years ago at a luncheon. The affiliate station where I live is excellent. Not only do they have news programming, but there's also lots of great musical programming and cultural stuff.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
Umm....late 18th century....

No need for wheellocks. You can have a flintlock.
Oops, sorry - I always go backwards when going from year number to -th's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Had you not been born yet when everyone I knew was having shit fits when they started passing the restrictions on knives? Those laws were passed long enough ago that no one still believes they can be repealed or amended but recently enough for me to clearly remember how pissed off people were.
Well, it might be more that I spent from 1972-1976 in Europe again, and even then, I was only 9 when we came back?

Or maybe it was 71-75 and I was 8. It was a very long time ago.
Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Oops, sorry - I always go backwards when going from year number to -th's.
You are excused since a century ends with the year that starts with that number. It clearly was not devised by anyone who knew math, astronomy, or any other scientific field as it starts AD with year 1 rather than 0.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed: