Political details of 198M US voters leaked - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Political details of 198M US voters leaked

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tea Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Cherry red lips and sick on her boots

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 26th April 2007

Awards: 1
Best Anglo-Saxon High Horse Reference 
Political details of 198M US voters leaked

Largest ever voter database leak was detected last week - Details of nearly all US Voters were leaked by data analytics firms working for the RNC

Quote:
In what is the largest known data exposure of its kind, UpGuard’s Cyber Risk Team can now confirm that unsecured databases containing the sensitive personal details of over 198 million American voters was left exposed to the internet by a firm working on behalf of the Republican National Committee (RNC) in their efforts to elect Donald Trump. The data, which was stored in a publicly accessible cloud server owned by Republican data firm Deep Root Analytics, included 1.1 terabytes of entirely unsecured personal information compiled by DRA and at least two other Republican contractors, TargetPoint Consulting, Inc. and Data Trust. In total, the personal information of potentially near all of America’s 200 million registered voters was exposed, including names, dates of birth, home addresses, phone numbers, and voter registration details, as well as data described as “modeled” voter ethnicities and religions.
Much more details of the leak can be found here
https://www.upguard.com/breaches/the-rnc-files

As of this time there is no indication that the data is in the wild - but it was completely open and accessible by anyone in a publically accessible AWS S3 bucket

Vanguard of the LolCatz Revolution
This Post was financed by The National LolCatz Archives

Clancy Sullivan :Yeah. YEAH! The sultry seamstress of mirth is definitely in charge now.
Certified 7.8 on the Official Non-Arbitrary Trout Algorithmic Slut scale

A public copy of my Second Life Main Grid Survey Database can be found at http://www.gridsurvey.com - Now with added Second Life Incidents !!

Tyche Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Who in the world thought putting all this on a publicly accessible server was a good idea?

Never mind. As an IT person I am used to people doing pretty much the same thing all the time. Like using email to exchange unencrypted information that should ALWAYS be secured except when actively used.

Makes me wonder why my non-cloud password manager bothers to alert me to sites that have had their data stolen. Just assume every site has and get it over with .... I only need to know about sites with things like my financial data.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Wow. Its good to see that the Republicans and Democrats can come together on one thing at least. A dismal lack of data security.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
But her emails.....

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Random Chat Bot

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 19, 2007
Business: SunBunny Creative
Client: Lite-Brite
Inevitably when you dig down deeper into situations like this it's always the same story. You have a competent IT team that sets policies and bosses that don't care about those policies. They want things to work a certain way and they are in charge. So the IT team sends warnings and protests and they get branded as difficult or insubordinate. The boss get's their way via firing or eventual compliance by IT and then things break. Who gets the blame? IT.
Summer Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Tyche! You did this!

Yes, I read tags... sometimes.

Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 06-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Haas View Post
Inevitably when you dig down deeper into situations like this it's always the same story. You have a competent IT team that sets policies and bosses that don't care about those policies. They want things to work a certain way and they are in charge. So the IT team sends warnings and protests and they get branded as difficult or insubordinate. The boss get's their way via firing or eventual compliance by IT and then things break. Who gets the blame? IT.
Sounds about right. I was asked one time to do one thing that blatantly violated any sane security policy. I could not refuse to do it but I could report it up the chain before the complete implementation. I wound up in a meeting with my boss's boss and my boss's boss's boss, both of whom were completely incredulous at what I had been asked to do.

IT tries to improve things for the organizational good all the time. Often though we get resistance from users because it is not what was done yesterday and in many orgs there is no backup from higher ups.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Where did this company get everyone's voter registration information in the first place? Is it publically available?
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Where did this company get everyone's voter registration information in the first place? Is it publically available?
Ask the Repugs.

Voter registration info is not public. You can access your info online to make changes (like a new address if you moved) but you have to log in to do so.

I've posted this link before. It tells you what steps to take in order to change your voter info. There is personal information that must be known before you can log in. So while the info is available online the only way someone other than the voter can access it is to hack into the database or have all of your personal info to begin with*.

Oregon Secretary of State: Update Voter Registration Information

Quote:
  • Go To My Vote.
  • Enter your name and date of birth. Click Submit
  • Select Update Registration at the bottom of the page.
  • Answer the two eligibility questions on the next screen. Click Continue.
  • Enter the required information on the next screen. Click Continue.
  • Make any necessary changes. Click Continue.
  • Verify the information is correct. Click Submit.
ETA: *If they already have your personal info, you've got bigger worries than voter registration info.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 06-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
A State-by-State Analysis of Voter List Availability
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Ask the Repugs.

Voter registration info is not public. You can access your info online to make changes (like a new address if you moved) but you have to log in to do so.

I've posted this link before. It tells you what steps to take in order to change your voter info. There is personal information that must be known before you can log in. So while the info is available online the only way someone other than the voter can access it is to hack into the database or have all of your personal info to begin with*.

Oregon Secretary of State: Update Voter Registration Information

ETA: *If they already have your personal info, you've got bigger worries than voter registration info.
Rather than hacking into the Oregon.gov website, one could merely go to their website, fill out a form or two, pay a fee and have it sent: Oregon Secretary of State: Request for Voter List

Linkie-linkie-bo-binkie-bananna-fanna-fo-fanna-linkie to Oregon voter registration form that tells you what is and is not public information: http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Documents/SEL500.pdf
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rnc gop cok up , tycharrific , tyche didn't do this