Out of reach. The high cost of housing. - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Out of reach. The high cost of housing.

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Out of reach. The high cost of housing.

The income requirement to rent an apartment is rather bleak. I actually fear for the future of my grandchild.

http://nlihc.org/sites/default/files/oor/OOR_2017.pdf
Georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
It's nice and cheap out in the midwest if you can telecommute.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
I live in the SF Bay Area, where a cheap 2 Bedroom Apartment will cost you around $2400/month, not including water and garbage or other utilities.

Of course, you kind of have to live in the Barrios for an apartment that cheap.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
I haven't been able to afford to live alone since I graduated high school in 77. I don't know what I will do if Troy goes before I do.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
I live in the SF Bay Area, where a cheap 2 Bedroom Apartment will cost you around $2400/month, not including water and garbage or other utilities.

Of course, you kind of have to live in the Barrios for an apartment that cheap.
I live in bumfuck nowhere Illinois. It costs ~$1200/month for the mortgage, which includes PMI on the loan, and escrow for Insurance and Real Estate Taxes.

This house has 2 bedrooms on the main floor and 2-3 "bedrooms" plus an office and a family room in the basement.
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
I haven't been able to afford to live alone since I graduated high school in 77. I don't know what I will do if Troy goes before I do.
That is probably a common thing now more than it used to be. My spouse and I both work with nonprofits so neither of us could pay all the bills ourselves.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Watering a Shoe

My Mood:
While there are many things I love to complain about in Memphis, my house note isn't one of them. 900 sqf, $357 a month mortgage. Good neighborhood even. But it is a older neighborhood, not all yuppified.
Kokoro Fasching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

It is not just housing either. Out of curiosity the other day I looked up how much a basic 1 bedroom is at my in-law's retirement community (which was built not that long ago). As expected it was much higher than just renting somewhere but their calculator showed it was actually worth it once you counted food, various services, and such.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoro Fasching View Post
While there are many things I love to complain about in Memphis, my house note isn't one of them. 900 sqf, $357 a month mortgage. Good neighborhood even. But it is a older neighborhood, not all yuppified.
Oh hell. Your mortgage is less than the HOA fees at my old condo, which was foreclosed.

$420/month for HOA. And that was on the less expensive side.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 06-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoro Fasching View Post
Color me jealous. We're paying $750 for a two-bedroom apartment about that size, which - all things considered - is still decently cheap. Even so, we're living paycheck-to-paycheck, sometimes unsure how we're going to pay the next month's rent.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Color me jealous. We're paying $750 for a two-bedroom apartment about that size, which - all things considered - is still decently cheap. Even so, we're living paycheck-to-paycheck, sometimes unsure how we're going to pay the next month's rent.
Same here. Except our rent on a 2 bd 2 ba apartment is $815 now and probably go up again this year. We started at $695 and it's gone up at least $30 a month every year except one.

Funny how rent goes up every year and yet cost of living raises don't cover those rising costs, much less the rising cost of anything else.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
I live where I do simply because it would cost me 3x more to live on the edge of civilization, 4x if I wanted to rent a leaky broom closet IN it.... which is why I just sigh when people suggest I should move... if I could, I so very much would.
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
We currently live in a 2-bedroom apartment. We're paying $2269/month, plus water and garbage (hovers around $100/month). Oh, and I still have to take the clothes to a laundromat. We have no facilities here. Only a pool the local kids pee in.

The only reason our rent is so cheap, compared to other apartments is we've been here four years. If we move out, the rent can be jacked up an extra $500/month.

Oh, did I also mention that the cat has to pay rent too? Pet rent is around $50/month. It would be higher if they knew about the reptiles.
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 06-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

The washer and dryer hook ups they installed in this complex (years after the complex was built) weren't installed in all apartments. You supply the washer and dryer if you have hook ups. The laundry room has maybe 4 washers and 4 dryers and there are 72 one and two bedroom units in the complex. Only half of those units (if that many) have hook ups.

While we don't have to pay a monthly fee for pets we do have to pay a pet deposit in addition to the human deposit and we are very limited as to the types of pets. Cats and birds are the only pets allowed.

If we were to move to another apartment in the same complex we would be paying around $1200 a month for a ONE bedroom. We wanted to, to get off the second floor so I don't have to climb the stairs carrying heavy loads of laundry but there is no way we could fit what we have left in a one bedroom on top of not being able to afford the higher rent.

This complex is pretty much the cheapest one here. There are cheaper ones I'm sure but I do know they are not in as good condition and the neighbors are a lot worse. So we're basically stuck here.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Health care and the disparity between suitable housing and income have become the two greatest factors of poverty in America.

I found this article and thought it was interesting: Opinion: Why affordable housing needs to be a right in the US |

Quote:
Americans are fortunate enough to live in one of the wealthiest countries on the planet; it’s time to commit to the principle that all of the nation’s citizens have the right to a decent home that is within their means.

It’s one national investment from which we’ll all reap the dividends. My friend Clorae was a single parent with nine children, and she was lucky to find a home in public housing.

Today those nine kids include a doctor, a professor, two schoolteachers and a local HUD official. Thanks in part to having a permanent, affordable home, Clorae was available to help her kids reach their full potential. Don’t we all want to live in a nation that assures the Cloraes among us have the opportunity to nurture these kinds of future citizens?

Surely the hallmark of any great nation should be one in which no one — no elderly person, no person with a disability or chronic illness, no newly naturalized American, no person working full-time at a minimum wage job, and certainly no child — should wonder where they’ll sleep tonight.
I fall into the income category of an "American Dream Hoarder", I work in a specialized field that pays pretty well and make around 100K a year. However, my opinion is now (and has always been) that if raising my taxes will give ALL people health care and decent housing then by all means, PLEASE RAISE MY FUCKING TAXES.

For decades I have watched a bunch of selfish, heartless, crooked bastards take control of this country and manipulate the laws, big finance, the election process and politics to the detriment of the populace.

It is beyond frustrating. Brenda Archer in another thread pointed out that
Quote:
To my mind the three things that would do more than anything to fix the problem would be single payer healthcare, good public schools, and free public college tuition.
and I think she is spot on. I don't know what to do about it though. I donated to and voted for Bernie, who stood behind all three of those things.

After watching this tangerine shit show of an election we just had (thank's Sureal, I love that description), I am very, very discouraged. It seems like there is no way to get people to recognize the harm that they are doing to others, to themselves and to this nation by embracing myopic, racist, fearful and selfish behavior.

Last edited by Rose Karuna; 06-19-2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo
Rose Karuna is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Location. Location. Location. A 1 bedroom here in DC costs 2K and up. Between working for a nonprofit, taxes, our insurance, and 'optional' expenses like eating I can not even afford half of our current rent. Even though she also works at a nonprofit my spouse picks up my falling short but it evens out because I get most of the other bills (she even gets a credit from her place because they do not have to cover her insurance).
1 User Hugged You: