Megyn Kelly and NBC Face Backlash Over Alex Jones Interview - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Megyn Kelly and NBC Face Backlash Over Alex Jones Interview

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
The Megyn Kelly Outrage Has Gone Too Far

I am not sure I understand the big deal here. Exactly when did sitting down and interviewing someone become "giving them a platform"? I don't think David Frost was giving Nixon a platform when he interviewed him.(Not that Kelly is anywhere near the caliber of a David Frost.) I don't think Peter Arnett was giving Osama Bin Laden a platform when he interviewed him. A lot of times it is more like giving a person enough rope to let them hang themselves. Frankly, I think it can only help, not hurt, to see more interviews of Jones claiming to believe in animal/human hybrid experiments.
One problem, as I understand it, is that every time Alex Jones starts spinning his Sandy Hook conspiracy theories, the families of the adults and children murdered at Sandy Hook start getting harassed again by Jones' denialist followers. As the article mentions, several of the families concerned have complained, though their legal representatives, about the interview:

Quote:
A law firm representing 12 family members sent a letter to NBC News chairman Andy Lack and other network executives on Thursday condemning the interview with Jones, who has questioned whether the 2012 shooting at the Connecticut elementary school really happened.
"Surely, we can agree that these families have suff
ered enough already, and that they will continue to suffer enough to last several lifetimes. Which is why we cannot fathom -- from a moral, ethical or legal standpoint -- NBC's decision to amplify the voice of a man who has made a living debasing that suffering and smearing our clients' names," said the lawyers, from the firm Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder.

"Over the last few years, Alex Jones has weaponized his radio show to publish false and defamatory statements about our clients: chief among them that they are actors perpetrating a massive fraud on the American public by faking the deaths of their loved ones."

The lawyers said that airing Kelly's interview with Jones "implicitly endorses the notion that Mr. Jones' lies are actually 'claims' that are worthy of serious debate; and in doing so it exponentially enhances the suffering and distress of our clients."

"For that NBC is responsible," the letter said. "We urge you to consider the ethical and legal ramifications of broadcasting this interview to millions of Americans. By now, it should be clear to NBC that airing the interview will cause serious emotional distress to dozens of Sandy Hook families. NBC -- and NBC alone -- has the power to prevent that harm."
Sandy Hook family members send legal threat to NBC over Alex Jones interview - Jun. 16, 2017

Whatever the legal position, I think the point about the distress caused to the families is real enough, and I don't really see what public good is served by broadcasting the interview.

I don't really buy arguments concerning interviews conducted by other interviewers with other contentious figures, I'm afraid. The argument isn't about the general question "should TV stations broadcast interviews with contentious figures?" but "should NBC broadcast this particular inteview?"

Nor do I follow the line of argument in the HuffPo article mentioned, which appears to be that, since reactionary organisations try to organise boycotts of shows of which they disapprove, progressive causes should eschew the tactic (in other words, "since I dislike the NRA, I'll bring a knife to the gunfight").
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Alex Jones is the lowest of the low.

He should be forced to live in substandard housing, eat substandard food, wear substandard clothing, pay monthly bills and rent on $300 per week (before taxes). And a whole slew of other things I could list.

In fact every conservative in the US should be made to live that way since they want to take away what little safety net the rest of us have. Take their's away and let them see what it is really like. The majority of them would be crying to go back to their old lives in the first month.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Kelly is about as hard hitting as Oprah Winfrey, but in the few clips I have seen she pretty much humiliates Jones on Sandy Hook and then she sits back quietly and allows him to volunteer his belief in government sanctioned human/animal hybrid experiences. Also, from what I have seen of her Putin interview, she was far less of a suck up than the almighty Oliver Stone. she is no Chris Wallace, who I would be scared to let interview me about anything, but she is not sloppy and she seems mindful of who she is talking to.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
'America's Funniest Home Videos' Rerun Beats Out Megyn Kelly's Interview of Alex Jones - The New Civil Rights Movement

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
3 Users Like This:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
That is probably the purest headline I've seen so far this year.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

300ft above sea level

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Watched the interview online... it felt like 'troll feeding' more than anything else. And about as useful.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Didn't watch it, never will because Alex Jones' voice is enough to make me wish him ill, but this interview always seemed like an attempt to bring her FOX followers over to the NBC side to keep her ratings plush.

Gross.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
According to a news title I just saw (but didn't read the article) it bombed in the ratings.

ETA: the article Megyn Kelly's Alex Jones interview a ratings flop
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Like This: