SS May sinking in the polls - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » SS May sinking in the polls

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
SS May sinking in the polls

UK Polling Report

Quote:
Two polls are out tonight. A Kantar poll conducted between last Thursday and Sunday (so before the bombing) has topline figures of CON 42%(-5), LAB 34%(+5), LDEM 9%(+1), UKIP 4%(-2). TNS has a turnout model based partially on age, so has tended to show larger Tory leads… but this poll has it dropping ten points and falling into single figures.

YouGov’s weekly poll for the Times meanwhile has topline figures of CON 43%(-1), LAB 38%(+3), LDEM 10%(+1), UKIP 4%(+1) – a Tory lead of just five points. Fieldwork for this poll was conducted on Wednesday night and Thursday daytime, so is the first conducted entirely after the Manchester bombing.
(The Greens are around the 4% mark - same as UKIP - but are seldom mentioned in polling stories)

What was once a seemingly unassailable lead is now an entirely competitive, modest gap.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Mood:
and that causes that the British Pound becomes more pressurised , says the Financial Times

https://www.ft.com/content/0b70a5d4-...d-6099b29842d3

Last edited by Luisa Resident; 05-26-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Luisa Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
Mm, the City loves the Conservatives. The Guardian's non-paywalled take:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
And another:

Twitter
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Picked up at a concert in Ohio:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTWNBBFN
I've got more in common with the bugger on my bayonette
Than the toff you's telling me to stick it in his guts.

The Men That Will Not Be Blamed for Nothing, Mutiny in the Common Soldiery
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Just found this :- Theresa May's a 'liar' song overtakes Miley Cyrus and reaches Top 10 in the charts - Daily Record
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Arkright View Post

I just had a watch on YouTube.
If this was about Cheeto he'd be whining nonstop on Twitter, claiming the song was financed by HRC, and probably suing as well.
What's "Theresa Mayhem's" response?
I watched her on the news when I was over there, and apart from being able to form coherent sentences and not being orange, she really sounds like him.
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
I'm hearing that record has hit #2 now. BBC stations are apparently refusing to play it.

Yesterdays 'debate' - where she refused to appear on the same stage as Corbyn - did not go well for her, people in the audience laughed at her, a nurse in the audience came just short of calling her a liar to her face. May looked incredibly uncomfortable where as Corbyn came across as relaxed, reasonable and unflappable.

I'm starting to believe that the tories can actually be beaten in this election, which isn't like me, I'm a massive pessimist.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
I'm hearing that record has hit #2 now.
I imagine its ranking will vary by outlet/medium, but FWIW, this was iTunes UK's singles ranking just now:

Quote:
BBC stations are apparently refusing to play it.
Eep? ISTR something about the BBC having a policy of not playing overtly political tracks, but I'd have to go digging. (Innula likely has the specific quotation bookmarked =

Quote:
Yesterdays 'debate' - where she refused to appear on the same stage as Corbyn - did not go well for her, people in the audience laughed at her, a nurse in the audience came just short of calling her a liar to her face. May looked incredibly uncomfortable where as Corbyn came across as relaxed, reasonable and unflappable.

I'm starting to believe that the tories can actually be beaten in this election, which isn't like me, I'm a massive pessimist.
I'm very pleased the debate went as well as anyone could have hoped, herself not included. It did feel awfully arrogant - perhaps HQ interpreted the optics as being one of not needing to come down to his level, or being completely confident their initial huge lead would be sustained to polling day? Either way, hopefully we'll see some cartoonists adopt more of a "let them eat cake" attitude.

Likewise, I'd been bracing myself for the public just lapping up more of the same old punishment, on the basis of "at least you know where you are with the Conservatives", which is a peculiarly British mindset. (Notwithstanding rural America quite happily voting for cuts to programs that sustain their lives and businesses)
Old 05-30-2017, 09:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
As an aside, this list is quite fascinating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ned_by_the_BBC

I notice the Andrews Sisters' "Rum and Coca-Cola" is in there, possibly due to the brand name - and even the Goons managed to make the list, with "Russian Love Song". And then there's Cab Calloway's "Minnie the Moocher"..
Old 05-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
Meanwhile, on Amazon:

Old 05-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Millitant Atheist

MotoXexual

It's amazing how badly she's fucked this up. It's almost artful.
Ishina is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Quote:
I'm hearing that record has hit #2 now. BBC stations are apparently refusing to play it.
I wouldn't necessarily blame the BBC - I believe there's an aspect of election law that forbids overtly political songs being broadcast in the period just before an election.
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
As the head of Her Majesty's Government, wouldn't that be HMS May? (I dunno, I'm an American, what do I know )
Old 05-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Jeremy Corbyn is clearly so rattled by the prospect of becoming Prime Minister and actually having to run things that he went on the radio today to do his best to sabotage Labour's campaign: https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...n-unable-spell

It's not quite as bad as Diane Abbot's car crash interview at the start of the month, but getting there: https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...interview-over

If only Labour had a decent team at the top, we'd have had a good chance of defeating the Tories, or at least putting together an anti-Conservative coalition, but unfortunately....
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Mood:
You mean he couldn't remember a figure and looked it up. Clearly a scandal of the highest order and proof of his terrible character.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
You mean he couldn't remember a figure and looked it up. Clearly a scandal of the highest order and proof of his terrible character.
Nope. He went on the programme to discuss the main points of his election manifesto, including what Labour sees as a flagship policy, free universal child care.

The question of how much it was going to cost was obviously going to come up, and he should have been ready with an answer. He was simply not properly prepared.
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
I imagine its ranking will vary by outlet/medium, but FWIW, this was iTunes UK's singles ranking just now:

It seems weird that I've only heard of two people on that list (Rita Ora and Ariana Grande) and I'm not sure I've actually heard music by one of those two (Rita Ora)

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

My Mood:
"What's the cap going to be on social care?" don't you think Theresa May should have an answer to that by now?

Or how about not bothering to cost out the changes to replacing school dinners with school breakfasts, so that when others looked into it they discovered she'd budgeted 7p per child.

Anyone can forget a number. Haven't you ever been in a meeting, done a presentation and had to refresh your memory on your notes that you had with you?
Old 05-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
"What's the cap going to be on social care?" don't you think Theresa May should have an answer to that by now?

Or how about not bothering to cost out the changes to replacing school dinners with school breakfasts, so that when others looked into it they discovered she'd budgeted 7p per child.

Anyone can forget a number. Haven't you ever been in a meeting, done a presentation and had to refresh your memory on your notes that you had with you?
Yes, I have. Though I don't think I've even been in a position where I was making an important presentation about a new initiative for which I wanted backing and found I couldn't remember what it was going to cost.

But yes, I know it happens, and I'm sufficiently well-organised and professional to make sure I have the key points to hand on index cards I can easily shuffle (so much more discrete than having to search for them on my tablet). And I'm not trying to become Prime Minister, a job for which I'd have thought it would worth making a bit of an effort.

Your comparison with Theresa May's performance reinforces my point, to my mind -- her proposals aren't properly costed, or don't seem to be. She's got something to hide.

JC and Diane Abbot, on the other hand, simply present things so badly they make it look as if they haven't properly thought things through, even though they (or someone drawing up policy for them) doubtless have.

The election, we were told, was a chance for Labour to put their case direct to the public via the broadcast media, where rules on balanced coverage should mean they'd get a fairer hearing than they normally do.

To an extent, that's been working -- which is why it's so frustrating to see unforced errors like this.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
I was struck, this evening, whilst the ads for the Food Network ground on inexorably (yes, yes, I'm a Mystery Diners junkie), that there was indeed such emphasis on ZOMG HE CAN'T BUDGET.

Nothing, of course, saying how May would pay for the unbeloved HS2, or Trident, or the continued "austerity". Not - one - word. It's magically assumed that anything that sounds mean will save money. (It doesn't. Viz: US emergency healthcare)

She needs to own up to her own expanded borrowing, with no pretence of any betterment of the populace. I'd at least be able to believe her then.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

The Theresa May liar, liar song is now #1 on UK iTunes.

Theresa May protest song 'liar liar' hits No 1 on iTunes
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

whatever

Looked up the Liar Liar song, saw this also -

Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-31-2017, 01:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

My Mood:
Talking of numbers here's two more. 100 and 759.

David Davis said on Radio 4 that they have 'over 100 pages' of details on the effects of Brexit. A whole 100 pages.

Twitter

The Financial Times meanwhile says that as a member of the EU we currently have 759 treaties and agreements of various sorts with 3rd party (non-eu) countries, all of which would have to be re-negotiated just for the UK to effectively stand still.

Here's the full list of all 759 of them: https://t.co/QUmnX0o6YY

They range from all kinds of things, like open skies agreements that allow airlines to fly to agreements that allow us to buy nuclear fuel for our nuclear power plants.

Quote:
Here the US poses one of the biggest technical and political challenges. Some treaties, such as the EU-Euratom nuclear accord, require Congressional approval — usually a delicate and time-consuming process.
The FT Discussion of that list:
https://www.ft.com/content/f1435a8e-...4-9023f8c0fd2e
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
so I'm just curious.... is this the end of may?

my calendar says yes....
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote