Tories plan GOP style voter suppression. - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Tories plan GOP style voter suppression.

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Tories plan GOP style voter suppression.

Quote:
In a bid to combat in-person voter fraud the Tories are going to change the law so you have to take ID with you when you vote.
The problem is, there's little evidence that in-person voter fraud actually happens.
It's a solution that doesn't have a problem.
On the other hand, 3.5 million voters don't have photo ID - and they tend to be women, people from ethnic minorities and young people.

8 nasty surprises buried in the small print of the Tory election manifesto - Mirror Online

Conservative Manifesto Pledge Demanding Voters Have Photo ID Could Stop Millions From Voting | HuffPost UK
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
2 Users Hugged You:
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Of course they are. It is effective.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
It's an unnecessary and unwelcome measure, but I but I don't see where photo-id is mentioned in the passage reproduced by The Mirror in their report:

I agree that requiring photo-id would be unreasonable, since certainly not everyone has, or needs, either a driving licence or a passport (the two forms of official photo-id usually used here). But pretty much anyone eligible to would be able to produce "a form of identification" (including, of course, a polling card).

They may well intend to insist on photo-ID but that's not what they say and, since they don't, the House of Lords would be fully justified in resisting it.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Mood:
A manifesto is not an exact wording of the final laws. If you want to believe they are doing this to try and prevent the miniscule number of possible voter fraud incidents rather than attempting to suppress the most disadvantaged voters then go with it. But I'll bet you pennies to pounds any implemented law would require photo id.
1 User Groaned:
Old 05-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
A manifesto is not an exact wording of the final laws. If you want to believe they are doing this to try and prevent the miniscule number of possible voter fraud incidents rather than attempting to suppress the most disadvantaged voters then go with it. But I'll bet you pennies to pounds any implemented law would require photo id.
Quite possibly the Conservatives hope it will. However, the Mirror is -- as far as I can see -- mistaken in saying that their manifesto commits them to introducing a photo-id. This is an important point, since the Salisbury Convention prevents the Lords from blocking legislative provisiions that were promised in the governing party's election manifesto.

If the manifesto said "photo-id", therefore, there would be little that anyone could do to stop a Conservative government with the majority the polls suggest from requiring photo-id.

However, since it is silent on the form of identification to be required, that leaves it open to the non-Conservative majority in the Lords to block a specific requirement for photo-id, as they did the proposal to cut Working Tax Credit, and it's the kind of non-partisan issue of fairness that tends to mobilise their lordships.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
... it's the kind of non-partisan issue of fairness that tends to mobilise their lordships.
What?! What kind of government are they running over there? Here in the states we know how to handle those ninnies who believe in fairness. We crush their dreams, grind them down into the soil and buy their competition.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Mood:
As to why are people saying Photo ID, well I would imagine because that's what's required in Northern Ireland when you want to vote.

The Electoral Office of Northern Ireland - EONI
Old 05-19-2017, 03:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
As to why are people saying Photo ID, well I would imagine because that's what's required in Northern Ireland when you want to vote.

The Electoral Office of Northern Ireland - EONI
According to that link, one acceptable form of identification is an Electoral Identity Card, which is available for free, which certainly ameliorate the problem.

Be that as it may, the law in NI is very different in many respects from that on the Mainland, so I'm not sure it's a valid guide to what's likely to happen here.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I guess, rather than speculate about what might be proposed. Certainly, on my rather long list of "good reasons for not voting Conservative," the fact they might introduce photo-id to vote in elections is not at top of the list.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Watch out for hairballs....

My Mood:
Client: Singularity, Kokua
I wouldn't be surprised if the Tories insisted on photo ID, but you can get a postal vote instead and avoid that hassle entirely. Some voters might need help getting that sorted out, but it's really convenient to vote in all the things.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
According to that link, one acceptable form of identification is an Electoral Identity Card, which is available for free, which certainly ameliorate the problem.
Do you need another form of id to get this id or can you just get it as long as your in the system? this is a common loophole used in the states. limiting office hours and the amount of offices one which can be aquired.

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
bunneh

Location: Maybe the Bay, maybe the UK, maybe somewhere else..
My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel View Post
Do you need another form of id to get this id or can you just get it as long as your in the system? this is a common loophole used in the states. limiting office hours and the amount of offices one which can be aquired.
All I know is what's on the Electoral Office of Northern Ireland's website.

It looks pretty straightforward to obtain one of these cards -- nothing like the shenanigans in some US states.