Wow! Trump revealed highly classified information to Russians - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » WOW! Trump revealed highly classified information to Russians

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #26 (permalink)

Will the republicans in congress go blah, blah whatever as they usually do? Probably.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Will the republicans in congress go blah, blah whatever as they usually do? Probably.
They will focus on the fact that the treason got leaked.
Eunoli Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaida Gearbox View Post
Julius Rosenberg?
The Rosenbergs were convicted of espionage, not treason.

Treason is pretty difficult offence to commit, particularly in US law. Whatever crimes #45 has committed before or after taking office, I can't see how treason is one of them. The Constitution defines treason thus:
Quote:
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
It specifically refers to the United States' enemies, which must mean countries with which the USA is at war, not simply ones with which the USA's diplomatic relations are somewhat strained at times.

If the Russian Federation is an "Enemy" of the USA, how is that Russians and Americans are free to visit each other's countries if they obtain the necessary visas and how is that the two countries enjoy trading relations, albeit somewhat restricted by specific sanctions?
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcityguy View Post
according to current and former U.S. officials. Always the same fake former and U.S officials. They lied to you for 8 years and they keep right on lying.
Shut up you insipid interloper. Nobody here buys your antics.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
The Rosenbergs were convicted of espionage, not treason.

Treason is pretty difficult offence to commit, particularly in US law. Whatever crimes #45 has committed before or after taking office, I can't see how treason is one of them. The Constitution defines treason thus:It specifically refers to the United States' enemies, which must mean countries with which the USA is at war, not simply ones with which the USA's diplomatic relations are somewhat strained at times.

If the Russian Federation is an "Enemy" of the USA, how is that Russians and Americans are free to visit each other's countries if they obtain the necessary visas and how is that the two countries enjoy trading relations, albeit somewhat restricted by specific sanctions?
No one has been convicted of Treason in the US for a very, very long time. No one since 1949, during the aftermath of WW2.
Briar Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcityguy View Post
according to current and former U.S. officials. Always the same fake former and U.S officials. They lied to you for 8 years and they keep right on lying.
You should probably stick to pressing responses at the bottom of posts instead of trying to engage in a conversation you couldn't follow if it had runway lights.

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-15-2017, 11:49 PM   #32 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

So, this apparently really happened tonight.
https://twitter.com/MarkSZaidEsq/status/864293731717066752
Old 05-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #33 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Archer View Post
And still the Trump supporters accomplices will be loyal. At this point - if they prefer treason, Putinism, Dominionism and White nationalism to America, I don't think they belong to America any more. I can't deal with these people another moment, I'm done.
Nothing of this is new, nothing of this comes as a surprise.

All of this has been out in the open long before the election.

This is what they voted for, it's what they wanted.

Partners in crime.
ďWhen life gives you lemons, donít make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I donít want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see lifeís manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? Iím the man whoís gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! Iím gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!Ē -- C. Johnson
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
This, as with everything, all circles back to Donald Trump having the mental capacity of a five year-old. He wanted these big strong men to think he was awesome and important so told them what mommy said about the lady next door but it's a secret so don't tell anyone, shhhhhh.

The same thing from Comey applies here. How he felt in the moment was all that matters, he did what he did because he wanted to.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...nterpret-trump
Quote:
On Twitter I talked about “theory of mind,” a basic capacity humans develop around the age of 2 or 3 to recognize that other people are independent agents, distinct minds, with their own beliefs, desires, fears, etc. We learn to “read” behaviors as evidence of those internal states.

And because we are relentless pattern seekers, we are constantly developing theories of people, seeking to explain what they do through reference to their beliefs and plans.

This has badly misled us with Trump. Much of the dialogue around him, the journalism and analysis, even the statements of his own surrogates, amounts to a desperate attempt to construct a Theory of Trump, to explain what he does and says through some story about his long-term goals and beliefs.

We badly want to understand Trump, to grasp him. It might give us some sense of control, or at least an ability to predict what he will do next.

But what if there’s nothing to understand? What if there’s no there there? What if our attempts to explain Trump have failed not because we haven’t hit on the right one, but because we are, theory-of-mind-wise, overinterpreting the text?

In short, what if Trump is exactly as he appears: a hopeless narcissist with the attention span of a fruit fly, unable to maintain consistent beliefs or commitments from moment to moment, acting on base instinct, entirely situationally, to bolster his terrifyingly fragile ego.

We’re not really prepared to deal with that.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Black aka Atrios
Trump is a senile old man with some sort of degenerative brain condition and he will brag to anybody about anything. This isn't about Russia, really, it's about a president of the United States who brags to people that important people visit him in the Oval Office. A president of the United States who brags that he won the election. A president of the United States who tells reporters about how impressed people are with him. A man - not just a man, but the president of the United States of fucking America - who can't have a conversation without telling someone how impressed other people are with him. He'll tell anybody anything to impress them with how impressive he is.

Trump has been on my teevee and radio my entire adult life. I was a Howard Stern listener for a long time. Trump was a regular. He was always a horrible narcissistic braggart, but not like this. He has a problem, we have a problem, and despite the fact that his handlers keep telling the press that they have to treat him like a 5 year old, no one will come right out and say the obvious: Trump is in serious mental decline and also he runs the world.
Lianne Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-16-2017, 01:15 AM   #35 (permalink)

Along with Athena, move also your hand

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Yesterday
Seriously?

Quote:
Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said, "We certainly don't want any president to leak classified information, but the president does have the right to do that."
Trump shared 'highly classified' information with Russia, says report - France 24
If he who bursts out in anger is not really angry, then his anger is an outburst of nonanger. If he who launches into action is not really acting, then his action is a launching into inaction. He who wishes to be still must calm his energies; he who wishes to be spiritual must compose his mind; he who in his actions wishes to hit the mark must go along with what he cannot help doing. Those things that you cannot help doing - they represent the Way of the sage.
Twisted Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 AM   #36 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne Marten View Post
This, as with everything, all circles back to Donald Trump having the mental capacity of a five year-old. He wanted these big strong men to think he was awesome and important so told them what mommy said about the lady next door but it's a secret so don't tell anyone, shhhhhh.
That's really all there is to it. I'm still facepalming at internet people who swear up and down that this is some kind of "planned distraction" from - whatever, "insert [current event that nobody's actually forgetting about because of this] here". It's not. Stop thinking that, people. Trump is literally-literally incapable of thinking and planning on that kind of level. He is functionally a moron.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #37 (permalink)
Prim Fancier

*SLU Supporter*

Current status [twirly]

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January, 2007
Client: v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Pharaoh View Post
Seriously?

Quote:
Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said, "We certainly don't want any president to leak classified information, but the president does have the right to do that."
Trump shared 'highly classified' information with Russia, says report - France 24
Apparently (I got this from watching the talking heads) if a president deems information unclassified by saying it to a foreign power, then it's instantly unclassified by the virtue of him saying it. Seriously.

That's why there was a mad scramble afterwards to sort things with the Intel community, but no breath of a whisper that he was being treasonous. Apparently, being president renders him immune to charges of treason?

Bizarro land.

Quote:
Cristiano We need to make 'endless celestial sex' into a thing.
Quote:
His Evol Holiness Trout of Troutlandia:
::The Temptress General Circle Widdershins, Dasher of Desires, Crusher of the Dreams of Mankind, Denter of Fenders, and High Priestess of The Temple of Carnage and Unholy Vice. She Whose Mere Presence Causes Her Enemies to Drop To Their Knees and Await Their Terrible Fate in Grim Obedience to Her Siren's Wail.::
Circle Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #38 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

He's now taken to Twitter, apparently confirming the Washington Post's story and undercutting his aides' attempts to explain things away: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.10f41f1ccd4a

Twitter

Twitter

To my mind, this puts the intelligence agencies of friendly countries (such as the UK) in an impossible position. How can they safely share information with the CIA when there's the risk that the President is going to blurt it out to the Russians and other countries the friendly country would rather not have know about it, thus putting at risk the lives of operatives and informants?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #39 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

In need of a new avatar

Its ok. At least he didn't have an email server. This way, the information can be delivered directly to the Russians without any inconvenient need for hacking.
2 Users Laughed:
Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #40 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

According to The Guardian, the information that #45 is said to have compromised probably originated from contacts between one of the "Five Eyes alliance" members (US, UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand) and intelligence sources in the Middle East. That relationship has probably been pretty badly damaged by all this:
Quote:
There is no love lost for an ascendant Russia in much of the Middle East, and little trust in it either. Few in the Gulf, Saudi Arabia or Jordan would take comfort in Moscow knowing its secrets, or Trump being prepared to share them.
What's so infuriating about this is that he doubtless simply blurted it all out, thoughtless of the consequences, in an attempt to impress his Russian visitors. Policies aside, his temperament, character and intellectual abilities so obviously make him completely unsuitable for the job he now has.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #41 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Widdershins View Post
Apparently (I got this from watching the talking heads) if a president deems information unclassified by saying it to a foreign power, then it's instantly unclassified by the virtue of him saying it. Seriously.
There is some disagreement there. Or more likely confusion as this fuckery is so unprecedented.

Quote:
Did Mr. Trumpís disclosure declassify the information?

Apparently not. Notably, although White House officials put out statements late on Monday playing down any problem with what he told the Russians, the administration also implored Washington Post reporters not to publish the details lest their dissemination damage national security.
How Government Secrets Are Declassified and Disclosed
Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #42 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Yup. Trump and the WH provide more evidence of it all running like a "finely tuned machine", right? Right?

Also, if he thinks doing that is "humanitarian", I can only imagine the spin he'd put on sending a few more bombs (and nukes) somewhere "because I saw suffering on the (fake?) TV news."

Mr RL and I have practically given up saying "well, this time he's really blown it", every couple of days because - frustratingly - he just keeps on doing all this idiotic, dangerous, stupid stuff. And keeps getting away with it.

What in hell *would* force him out? I really do wonder.

Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #44 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Washington Post: Trump revealed highly classified information to Russians
NSA Advisor: No, he didn't. Fake news!
Trump supporters: No he didn't. Fake news!
Russians: No he didn't. Fake news!
Trump: I did and I can do anything I want.
Trump advisors and supporters: Yeah, he can do anything he wants. Now, lock her up, lock her up!
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #45 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
I am loathe to share something from Erick Erickson, but this is interesting.
I Know One of the Sources

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #46 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
Every time some new asshattery of his Congress out, I think about how outraged the Rs would be if it had been Hillary (except it wouldn't have been, because whatever her faults she's​ not a moron) or Obama, of any of their staff.
They'd be screaming for blood and demanding impeachment (top Rs were planning impeachment because of her damn emails).
And I get ever more nauseated with their whole party.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #47 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
I am loathe to share something from Erick Erickson, but this is interesting.
I Know One of the Sources
Quote:
So some of the sources are left with no other option but to go to the media, leak the story, and hope that the intense blowback gives the President a swift kick in the butt. Perhaps then he will recognize he screwed up. The President cares vastly more about what the press says than what his advisers say. That is a real problem and one his advisers are having to recognize and use, even if it causes messy stories to get outside the White House perimeter.
I find this entirely believable, honestly.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #48 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/864517423755653121

It's ok guys...he didn't even know where the information came from....

Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #49 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Well gee, who the bleep dropped that ball, Mister National Security Adviser? What, are his daily intelligence briefings being disguised as casual breakfast chat or something?
1 User Laughed:
Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #50 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Well gee, who the bleep dropped that ball, Mister National Security Adviser? What, are his daily intelligence briefings being disguised as casual breakfast chat or something?
had to laugh at that because I have nothing. All I thought when I watched it is "And that makes it better...how?!"

I really wish these people at least took a 'how to spin shit to roses' class in college or something. Surely, there has to be a class on it and if they did take it, they failed.

Every time one of them opens their mouths, they make it ten times worse. And that isn't even mentioning that every time they open their mouths, 45 then, in turn, opens his.

The absolutely only thing I can think of is that they are egging him on to continue 'taking credit' during a twitter rampage but even that is a far stretch for me.
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed: