Trump Fires FBI Director Comey - Page 12 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Trump Fires FBI Director Comey

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 PM   #276 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
https://thinkprogress.org/graham-say...ad-bd9ebc32a78

Quote:
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) told Fox News on Thursday that now that special counsel has been appointed to investigate alleged ties between the Trump campaign and Russia, Congress should abandon their own investigations and go back to focusing on former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s emails.
Quote:
“There’s a new front opening here. I have reason to believe that there are emails between Clinton campaign officials, democratic operatives to the Department of Justice regarding the Clinton email investigation that happened on Obama’s watch. I have reason to believe those emails exist,” Graham said. “I’m on the Judiciary Committee. And I think it’s important that the Judiciary Committee be given any emails that were directed to the Department of Justice by Clinton campaign officials or operatives because we have jurisdiction over the Department of Justice.”
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #277 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
Can we get some better trolls? Please.
That one wasn't even worth the time it took to notice it had posted.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #278 (permalink)
Woke Woman

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
There's no need for Civil War 2.0. We can cut the South loose without any bloodshed.... and without all those Federal dollars that keep the Southern economy afloat.
I probably need to move farther north. Because here on this side of the Mason-Dixon line I still see his kind every day. And with their confederate flags.

Oh, and there's always this to liven up the weekends:

KKK rally to be held in Lancaster County

Quote:
A chapter of the Ku Klux Klan is planning to hold a rally in Lancaster County on Saturday.

The East Coast Knight of the True Invisible Empire, from Rising Sun, Md., posted the event on its website and on the white-pride forum Stormfront.org.

Calls to the "hotline" listed on the post were not immediately returned.

The event, to be held at an undisclosed location in Quarryville, was to include a cross lighting.

"This is gonna be one of the biggest cross lightings in a long time. ... This is a family-oriented event, so bring your families," an organizer wrote.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
2 Users Said WTF?:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 05-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #279 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Really? In Pennsylvania? I'm being rhetorical; I read the article. I just never would have believed until now that the Klan could get any traction in Pennsylvania. Granted, Lancaster County is not all that far north of the M-D Line, but it's PENNSYLVANIA. Gettysburg is there (just a li'l bit west of you, as you know). That Klanners would be there is even more of an insult than it is when they show themselves in the South.
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #280 (permalink)

PA is quite red outside of the Phila area.

Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 AM   #281 (permalink)
Woke Woman

It's all relative

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Levenque View Post
Really? In Pennsylvania? I'm being rhetorical; I read the article. I just never would have believed until now that the Klan could get any traction in Pennsylvania. Granted, Lancaster County is not all that far north of the M-D Line, but it's PENNSYLVANIA. Gettysburg is there (just a li'l bit west of you, as you know). That Klanners would be there is even more of an insult than it is when they show themselves in the South.
Nothing at all surprising about this and it's not the first time. They're just usually quieter about it.

We have Pittsburgh to the west. Philly to the east. Pennsyltucky in between. For the most part. The cities are pretty liberal, but remember that we have a LOT of rural areas and small, conservative towns.

However, I will say that most aren't on Klan level.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #282 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
Can we get some better trolls? Please.
I do wonder; After drinking the Infowars/Fox/Breitbart kool-aid, is it a troll or just fucking stupid?
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #283 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
They've been actively recruiting for the past two years in the northern section of PA as well - Scranton/Wilkes-barre (no...not even born here know if it's Wilkes Berry, Bar or Bur).

And I can guarantee that like Shiloh.....PA is a hot bed of racism that is quietly held under the confederate flag waving "but I have a black friend....so not racists" type of people. But as she said, most are not Klan material. They act all tough and mighty on many things but if confronted with a squirrel carrying a nut, they run screaming under their bed and shiver in fear.

Welcome to PA.
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #284 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
See, and that's the thing, its all very well and good to blame the south -now- except that its not 'The South'. It is rural vs urban. We can't just cut loose the cities or the countrysides. Also, thank you ladies for pointing out the situation up in PA, even if it makes me sad, because that's where my dad's side of the family is. Because in cities in the south? Well, just look at a state voting map [for that matter, look at Illinois'].

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 AM   #285 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
PA is quite red outside of the Phila area.
Most of the US is red outside of the metropolitan areas. Most political maps are just population density maps. There's probably a really good explanation for this, I imagine it has a lot to do with the level of exposure to new and different ideas. It probably has to do with preference of where to live and life style.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #286 (permalink)
Woke Woman

It's all relative

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
See, and that's the thing, its all very well and good to blame the south -now- except that its not 'The South'. It is rural vs urban. We can't just cut loose the cities or the countrysides. Also, thank you ladies for pointing out the situation up in PA, even if it makes me sad, because that's where my dad's side of the family is. Because in cities in the south? Well, just look at a state voting map [for that matter, look at Illinois'].
I read an article after the election which pointed out that in almost every state, the farther you get away from city, and town, centers, the more conservative people become. Even in conservative towns, the closer to the center of town, the more moderate to liberal the views.

Can't look that up right now because I'm at work and on .y phone, but I do want to find it later and read it again.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #287 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh Lyric View Post
I read an article after the election which pointed out that in almost every state, the farther you get away from city, and town, centers, the more conservative people become. Even in conservative towns, the closer to the center of town, the more moderate to liberal the views.

Can't look that up right now because I'm at work and on .y phone, but I do want to find it later and read it again.

I'd love to read that, though it certainly matches up with personal experience. For example, Pensacola is in a very red county/district, but yet itself is fairly progressive because a lot of our tourism[not the beach's, that's in a different county altogether] comes from LGBTQA+ folks. Sure, we still have a bunch of Trump supporting idiots, but the funniest thing?

Pensacola was Union for almost all of the Civil War.

[But I've lived inside the Atl. Perimeter, outside of it in suburbs, and lived in rural west georgia. The other factor, by the by, is whether there is any colleges/universities. Kennesaw was surprisingly progressive compared to say Marietta.]
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #288 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
Oh, and buttercup? Us progressive types -learn- from history, so we won't be making the same mistakes as were made the first time, should there -be- a civil war.

Fair warning, I'm a very nice person, or try hard to be, but I keep an awful lot of anger on a tight leash - I'm more than willing to fight to defend this country and the constitution, even at my age. Especially from those of you who want to break it and sell us out to Putin.
Hehe, those rightwring morons have been conned into thinking of us as delicate "snowflakes". They are in for an ass-kicking surprise. If they "push us too far".
Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #289 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

Moderate (previously Mature)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 18, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
Most of the US is red outside of the metropolitan areas.
Case in point: here in New Orleans they're removing the last of four confederate statues in the city.

Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee statue coming down in New Orleans: Live updates | NOLA.com

Meanwhile, the Louisiana legislature just passed a monument protections bill.

Watch black legislators walk out after Confederate monument protections pass Louisiana House | NOLA.com

Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #290 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Most of the US is red outside of the metropolitan areas. Most political maps are just population density maps. There's probably a really good explanation for this, I imagine it has a lot to do with the level of exposure to new and different ideas. It probably has to do with preference of where to live and life style.
I don't know about being exposed to new and different ideas in a city. I think it's more that cities depend on large numbers of very different free-willed individuals being able to pursue their own particular interests and desires and negotiate the conflicts that inevitably arise when those pursuits bring people into conflict, as they must, without coming to blows.

To put it more simply, cities depend on mutual tolerance between people who have little in common, and who will inevitably get on each other's nerves, and on a general attitude of live and let live. Otherwise they'd rapidly descend into a Hobbesian war of all against all.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #291 (permalink)
captured like a Pokemans.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Trump to Russians in Oval Office: Firing 'nut job' Comey eased pressure: NYT

I can't believe the things that you'll say
To keep me around and close to your side.

-- Film School - Compare.

When a country is full of food, and exporting it, there can be no famine.
-- George Bernard Shaw.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #292 (permalink)

My Mood:

Twitter

Jared Kushner is being named by sources.
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #294 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #295 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deca! View Post

Jared Kushner is being named by sources.
So now that he's under investigation, when Prince Jared inevitably fails at his ridiculously sisyphean responsibilities :
  • Making peace in the middle east,
  • Handling diplomatic relations with China & Mexico,
  • Curing the opiod epidemic,
  • Redesigning the criminal justice system & veteran healthcare,
  • -AND- Restructuring government to work like a business!

... they'll pretend like he -could- have done it all, if it weren't for those damned meddling kids.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #296 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne Marten View Post
Oh for fuck's sake I can't even take an hour nap without three new things happening.
Or take a 6 hour drive to get home. Time for me to catch back up.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #297 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianne Marten View Post
Oh for fuck's sake I can't even take an hour nap without three new things happening.
Go back to sleep for a few more hours; maybe Trump will resign or be impeached.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 05-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #298 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
The larger the city, the higher the income in general, and probably education level (I would have to look that up). It has to do with more opportunities and specialized markets in larger cities. For example, you don't set up a research university or ad agency in Podunk, Iowa.

Rural areas in general get left behind. They tend to have few industries, and if those go down hill, there is nothing else to turn to. Pittsburgh is a prime example from history. Like a lot of the industrial mid-west, it was a steel town. When steel went downhill, it was in dire straights. Now it's back, but with different industries. It had a large enough population to bounce back. A small town doesn't have the same people and resources to follow a new path.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #299 (permalink)

My Mood:

Me reading the news right now:

2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #300 (permalink)
Cheese Baron

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/6/2004
Since they are all on a flight to Saudia Arabia for this speech thing, maybe they'll just stay there forever since there's no extradition treaty.

Fingers crossed.
Lianne Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
3 Users Like This: