Sanders: I don't consider myself a Democrat - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Sanders: I don't consider myself a Democrat

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Whoever wins the D primary in DC has pretty good odds of winning the general here. It does not matter if it is the president or the dogcatcher. To have *ANY* say at all who your dogcatcher will be you need to register as a D.
You get to cast a vote no matter what your party registration is. That is having a say. You get to have a say in who your party chooses to run for them if you are a member of a party. Nothing wrong with that if that's the party's rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
I wish I were still so niave to think either of those things diminish party locking. most people barely have enough time to review a candidate, let alone stump for them
Most people barely taking the time is kind of like everywhere. I know it's impossible for most people to campaign. Some people doing it effectively and regularly is still what it takes to motivate others to at least vote. Voices are either heard or they're not. It's been a long time for Utah, but they broke from their pattern when Lyndon Johnson won.

Quote:
so either your reading comprehension is very poor, or you think that people that jump the fence to have any say in their elected officials at all are effectively part of the party they vote primary on.... either way seems you've effectively killed your own argument here.
From my perspective it's the other way around. Your euphemisms are too generic to defend your points. How is voting in one party's primary so easily discerned as self-preservation by the same people who aren't sure about their messages? Which side of what fence are you jumping into and out from, and are you sure you aren't stuck on it?

Quote:
it has nothing to do with what I believe, it helps that party too, since they control endorsments, so centrist pushback helps them by allowing them to set the tone for wider support.
That's an opinion heavily disputed. If statistics proved one way or the other, (and I'll agree it doesn't prove anything), it's fair to show that voter participation dropped sharply after years of changing to open primaries.

Quote:
yeah, because no one would sanely vote for a guy known the world over for being a cheat, liar, and crony capitalist of questionable sanity.... oh wait.
Remember the sentence that followed that one you responded to? The one about calling out that polarization? I'm not even blaming you or independents specifically for that. But that other far-fetched third party almost reached that miracle with Trump. Democratic party organization in Utah can't do much if the state is always written off instead of getting attention.
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
This thread is fast becoming a prime example of why, when I turned 18 (1976), I made the decision to NEVER join a political party and why I will always stick with that decision. Independent voters are not the reason the two main parties have issues. The issues are the reason why independent voters exist.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #28 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Did you read my response to this (although I forgot to quote it) above? Independent means you DO think about your vote. The decision may end up being with one of the major parties but it does not start there. For example, if the Ds somehow mess up this chance I will just see it as an opportunity to support indy parties more. I will still keep my registration as a D, but that is because I want a say in local stuff, it has no bearing on general elections.
You're describing actual independent voters. My point was, there's a whole lot of people who aren't independent voters at all, but call themselves "independent" because they want to look more credible, or perhaps less hypocritical depending on the kinds of arguments they usually make.

If one actually votes for a single party 100% of the time when push comes to shove, it becomes frankly silly to insist one is independent. Even if you'd attempt to justify it by saying "oh I would absolutely vote for [other party] if their candidate had the most intelligent and practical positions", it's just plain old prevarication if you know darn well the parties have almost no chance they'll ever substantially shift on the issues you consider most important, like women's rights, immigration, education, etc.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
You're describing actual independent voters. My point was, there's a whole lot of people who aren't independent voters at all, but call themselves "independent" because they want to look more credible, or perhaps less hypocritical depending on the kinds of arguments they usually make.

If one actually votes for a single party 100% of the time when push comes to shove, it becomes frankly silly to insist one is independent. Even if you'd attempt to justify it by saying "oh I would absolutely vote for [other party] if their candidate had the most intelligent and practical positions", it's just plain old prevarication if you know darn well the parties have almost no chance they'll ever substantially shift on the issues you consider most important, like women's rights, immigration, education, etc.
I noticed a surge of people who were obviously Republicans claiming to be independent when it became clear that Shrub had screwed the pooch so badly that there was no defending him.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #30 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
This thread is fast becoming a prime example of why, when I turned 18 (1976), I made the decision to NEVER join a political party and why I will always stick with that decision. Independent voters are not the reason the two main parties have issues. The issues are the reason why independent voters exist.
What specifically in this thread is this example?

We weren't discussing issues of parties other than whether those outside of them should have a say in who represents their views.

Nobody blamed independents for party issues. And any issues perceived, (valid or not) can be reasons for some people not being in a political party, but I seriously doubt most people even study them enough for that to be an honest reason. It's an excuse.
3 Users Said WTF?:
3 Users Disagreed:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #31 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcBrian View Post
Most people barely taking the time is kind of like everywhere. I know it's impossible for most people to campaign.[...]
make up your mind, is it that they aren't bothering or they can't? (also, for the record Utah is only the most recent place I've lived, not the only, so I'm not extrapolating just based on it)

Quote:
From my perspective it's the other way around. Your euphemisms are too generic to defend your points. How is voting in one party's primary so easily discerned as self-preservation by the same people who aren't sure about their messages? Which side of what fence are you jumping into and out from, and are you sure you aren't stuck on it?
I thought that was pretty clear in my previous posts, but here it is again: if one is not part of the controlling party in a locked region, one MUST 'jump the fence' to have even a slight say in the direction of government. otherwise one gets screwed by polarized choices

Quote:
That's an opinion heavily disputed. If statistics proved one way or the other, (and I'll agree it doesn't prove anything), it's fair to show that voter participation dropped sharply after years of changing to open primaries.
so you dispute a basically observable effect with one completely unrelated, and which doesn't even have any meaning since voter participation has dropped across the board? really?

Quote:
Remember the sentence that followed that one you responded to? The one about calling out that polarization? I'm not even blaming you or independents specifically for that.
well that's "mighty white of ya"... considering what I'm saying exactly counters the kind of polarization we ended up with.... not next time when people will supposedly realize what a horrible mistake they made (yet never seem to historically) but right now, before it happens. it's a much slower move away from it, but it is a move, and it doesn't necessitate things getting so bad there's nothing left but improvement

Quote:
Democratic party organization in Utah can't do much if the state is always written off instead of getting attention.
that's up to the democratic leaders to actually support it, but they don't want to because support cost money and theirs is better spent elsewhere. and to be honest it's beside the point so long as centrist candidates are available, because voters like myself really don't give a rat's ass what color pin a candidate wears, simply what they plan to do in office.

in conclusion your naive "sink or swim" methodology ignores both the fact that those that would sink can drag down others, and that historically they drag down a lot, whereas open primaries prevent the latter to a large degree, and is equally true for ANY party domination,
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #32 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
make up your mind, is it that they aren't bothering or they can't?
Most people can't. Some can but aren't. It wasn't confusing at all. I was specific when I typed it and it still looks very clear as I read it again.

Quote:
I thought that was pretty clear in my previous posts, but here it is again: if one is not part of the controlling party in a locked region, one MUST 'jump the fence' to have even a slight say in the direction of government. otherwise one gets screwed by polarized choices
You are not clear from the start - euphemisms aside, locked region really defines everywhere and yet nowhere, because:
it's either so hyperbolic to be untrue - people are allowed to run for office and vote everywhere in the US without being aligned with a party;
or you are referring to localities where one party dominates - which basically defines most localities.
Your usage of jumping the fence can represent party unaffiliated wanting a vote in a party's primary, or a partisan voter wanting to vote in an opposing party's primary (because of sincere backing or not). I can accept the self-preservation defense for voting in an election, but not for a party's primary. You have as much say as everyone else in the end when you vote. Claiming you don't even have the slightest say in government simply because you couldn't vote in one party's primary is not true at all.

Quote:
so you dispute a basically observable effect with one completely unrelated, and which doesn't even have any meaning since voter participation has dropped across the board? really?
Denying global warming because winter still happens has more standing than this line. I included the disclaimer of proof of benefit or harm because it has not been proven either way. Since we are disagreeing on the merits or necessity of open primaries, finding out what those looking into the effects of open primaries sounds kind of . . . related.

Quote:
well that's "mighty white of ya"... considering what I'm saying exactly counters the kind of polarization we ended up with....
Among the Republican Primary contestants, who was there to vote for that didn't look like a polarized candidate? I didn't see any; maybe not among the Democratic ones either.
Open primaries happen in many areas. I have no problem with a state party making a decision to allow it or not. The best you might get is giving support to the least polarized among one side. Kind of sounds like it will always be the polarized side you are voting against that doesn't get that limitation. You aren't going to move them far at all when those they run against don't start pulling until they reach the middle.

Quote:
that's up to the democratic leaders to actually support it, but they don't want to because support cost money and theirs is better spent elsewhere.
And I aimed that criticism at the Democratic leaders (even though they aren't watching here). Because I don't believe that they are correct in deciding some areas should be left dry just because they aren't seen as lucrative as another. States with heavier Democratic constituents still manage to get Republican senators and governors. This seems to be a LOT more rare in Republican strongholds. It's time for them to wake up and maybe still hold Congress when they lose the White House.

Quote:
and to be honest it's beside the point so long as centrist candidates are available, because voters like myself really don't give a rat's ass what color pin a candidate wears, simply what they plan to do in office.
With most political battles now split almost exactly across party lines, those centrist candidates are getting hard to spot. The pin colors are more an indication of what they plan to do in office than anything they might say now days. You're going to make your own decisions but I don't see a median strip in the middle of this road anymore.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #33 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

For what it's worth: While he balks at supporting Ossoff because he won't back someone "just because they're a Democrat" and "not all Democrats are progressive", Bernie Sanders actively campaigns for Heath Mello, a Nebraskan staunchly anti-choice Dem running for mayor of Omaha, who as a state senator masterminded Nebraska's law forcing women to have to view ultrasounds of their fetus before they're allowed to pursue an abortion.

Quote:
“If this fellow wins in Nebraska, that would be a shot across the board, that in a state like Nebraska a progressive Democrat can win, that will give hope to folks in other conservative states that perhaps they can win as well,” Mr. Sanders said.
That's great - pro-choice Ossof running for Congress in traditionally-red Georgia is chopped-fecking-liver as far as Sanders is concerned, but anti-abortion activist Mello running for mayor in traditionally-red Nebraska is the Real Progressive Hero We Need to inspire and energize Democrats nationwide.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-22-2017, 12:42 AM   #34 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Bernie Sanders Clarifies Support for Jon Ossoff After Dustup - NBC News

Good grief. You'd think that a man who is campaigning for Democrats in the South and midwest would be cut some slack, but no.

Quote:
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders clarified his support for Jon Ossoff on Friday, after catching flack for saying earlier that he didn't know if the Democratic congressional candidate is a progressive.

"Let me be very clear. It is imperative that Jon Ossoff be elected congressman from Georgia's 6th District and that Democrats take back the U.S. House," Sanders said in statement. "I applaud the energy and grassroots activism in Jon's campaign. His victory would be an important step forward in fighting back against Trump's reactionary agenda."
That doesn't mean that he knows for sure if Jon Ossoff is a progressive. What it does mean that right now he is prioritizing building the Democratic Party up because they are far more in his corner than the main alternative.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #35 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
The problem is, and mind you, I overall support Sanders, is that he questions whether Ossoff, who is running against Handel [you know, the asshole who tried to cut off Komen from PP a while back], then calls the anti-choice asshole running for Mayor of Omaha [which is apparently kind of blue] a progressive.

The problem is, as a progressive Independent, I'm more likely to vote Dem, right now they have made it clear that in the 'New Deal' of the 21st century, women and LGBT people don't deserve the same rights as the Hetero, Cis- males , and that -our- issues are NOT progressive ones; that progressive issues are bringing back the dominance of the white, middle class male.

And if that's the case? The two party system will have managed to kill off any fucks I might have left. I refuse to be sold down stream, just so men can have a better life.

I am really disappointed though, because I thought at least Bernie was kind of an all of us sort.

Aribeth Zelin is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 04-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #36 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth Zelin View Post
The problem is, and mind you, I overall support Sanders, is that he questions whether Ossoff, who is running against Handel [you know, the asshole who tried to cut off Komen from PP a while back], then calls the anti-choice asshole running for Mayor of Omaha [which is apparently kind of blue] a progressive.

Quote:
Yet Sanders has always maintained a certain distinction between abortion and economics. In March, Sanders agreed with Joe Scarborough that Democrats should "be open to candidates that may not be rigidly pro-choice." During the 2016 campaign, when Planned Parenthood did not endorse his Presidential campaign, he famously dismissed it as "part of the establishment" that he was "taking on." Even as he woos Democrats with the promise that he can re-enchant the white working class and bring Trump voters back into the fold, it's hard not to recall that, as early as the summer of 2015, Sanders was very specific about which issues he'd be willing to downplay or neglect in order to get converts: "Once you get off of the social issues — abortion, gay rights, guns — and into the economic issues," he told Rolling Stone, "there is a lot more agreement than the pundits understand."

Because Sanders has a solid record of voting for pro-choice policies himself, it was easy to ignore these comments, or to assume (as many supporters did) that they were merely "poorly worded" or "taken out of context." But, with the endorsement of Mello, it's become all too clear that Sanders' dismissive comments about abortion reflect his actual politics–namely, his willingness to trade away reproductive rights, when necessary, in exchange for advancing his own specific set of economic concerns. And that attitude is trickling down to his movement. At the same event where Sanders stumped for Mello, Jane Kleeb—a board member of Sanders' Our Revolution—gave an ecstatic speech, proclaiming that "the Democratic party is a broad party! We are pro-life, we are pro-choice!" When called out on this, Kleeb insisted that "we do have pro-life and pro-choice Democrats in our party and I welcome all of those folks."

Sanders, too, has dismissed reproductive-rights advocates' concerns as petty: "The truth is that in some conservative states there will be candidates that are popular candidates who may not agree with me on every issue. I understand it. That's what politics is about," he told NPR. While pro-choice himself, he says, "I think you just can't exclude people who disagree with us on one issue."

But you can. In fact, Sanders does it all the time. During the Democratic primary, Sanders famously kicked Hillary Clinton off of Progressive Island for, among other things, engaging in conventional campaign fundraising: "I do not know any progressive who has a super-PAC and takes 15 million dollars from Wall Street. That's just not progressive," he told her at a February 4 town hall. Just this week, Sanders pushed Georgia Democrat Jon Ossoff off the lifeboat in the midst of an election: "Some Democrats are progressive, and some Democrats are not," Sanders said, before clarifying that Ossoff was "not a progressive." When asked exactly what Ossoff had done to deserve all this, an anonymous aide explained that "Jon Ossoff doesn't have the word 'income inequality' on his issues page[.]"

Sanders has since walked back the condemnation of Ossoff, saying that a win "would be part of the process of reclaiming the House of Representatives for the Democrats." But the point stands: When Sanders genuinely cares about an issue, he can be so unflinching as to publicly reject someone for failing to include a two-word phrase on his home page. Yet, when it comes to reproductive rights, he'll just agree to disagree.
The Flaw in Bernie Sanders' 'Unity' Plan: Making Pro-Choice Politics Optional
Old 04-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #37 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Bernie Sanders Condemns Threats Against Ann Coulter Speech At Berkeley

Quote:
"To me, it’s a sign of intellectual weakness,” he said. “If you can’t ask Ann Coulter in a polite way questions which expose the weakness of her arguments, if all you can do is boo, or shut her down, or prevent her from coming, what does that tell the world?”

“What are you afraid of ― her ideas? Ask her the hard questions,” he concluded. “Confront her intellectually. Booing people down, or intimidating people, or shutting down events, I don’t think that that works in any way.”
Democrat or not, I LOVE this guy! I agree wholeheartedly. Shutting down or shouting down free speech and debate is never a good idea.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #38 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
However "Progressive" Sanders thinks he is, he's still a 75 year old white guy, and that means he has blind spots simply due to the era he comes from.
DanielRavenNest is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #39 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
Here's a question:

About what issues can people in the same party disagree on and move on?
2 Users Like This:
Old 04-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
I don't care if democrats don't all agree on things, however [HOWEVER], if you are going to question one candidate's progressiveness when he's running against a rabidly anti-choice candidate in GA [even if you support his being elected], then call a rabidly anti-choice candidate in an area that doesn't even need that to get elected 'progressive'? When you know people hang on your opinion?

I'm sorry, but that's horribly irresponsible, utter shite, and hard to stomach. Especially when your half of the population is the one in danger of losing any independence of life we've managed to claw and fight for. And its not like its all Sanders [not by a long shot]. Democratic and progressive males are more than happy to leave women to hang. We still only get anything like equal rights if its linked to a cause that affects men, and even then...

Well, notice no one objected about women using the men's bathrooms [but gods forbid women use the women's bathrooms]. Anyway, I still mostly admire what Bernie is doing, but I'm -really- not thrilled with the idea of potentially being sacrificed so that at least men can get back to being middle class. Which is exactly what will happen if they take away our control over our bodies. Fuck that noise.
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristalle View Post
Here's a question:

About what issues can people in the same party disagree on and move on?
Well, it's NOT going to be policies that harm over half the population of the country. There are basic issues that cannot be compromised.
Amber Guity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:01 AM   #42 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
Cultural issues are divisive. And while I agree that there are some lines that should not be crossed, what lines can? If not this (and I'm not saying this should be the one), then what?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:10 AM   #43 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
Most people barely taking the time is kind of like everywhere. I know it's impossible for most people to campaign.
Quote:
make up your mind, is it that they aren't bothering or they can't?
Quote:
Most people can't. Some can but aren't. It wasn't confusing at all. I was specific when I typed it and it still looks very clear as I read it again.
do tell...

seriously if all you're going to do is waste peoples time with vague BS and then try to claim after the fact that you meant it differently, I see no point continuing.

the fact is no political party has a 'right' to anything, people however do. I'd be more disappointed but frankly you aren't the first to make that mistake, nor to try to pedal it as truth.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:22 AM   #44 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
However "Progressive" Sanders thinks he is, he's still a 75 year old white guy, and that means he has blind spots simply due to the era he comes from.
Who doesn't? Is there some age or race out there that has being progressive all figured out? Please share?
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #45 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
You get to cast a vote no matter what your party registration is. That is having a say. You get to have a say in who your party chooses to run for them if you are a member of a party. Nothing wrong with that if that's the party's rule.
*sigh* I live in DC. Look up our voting record. For president (congress has yet to give us a vote in the legislature) the D *will* win here. The result is they will sweep most of the Ds running for other seats in at the same time. It does not matter one smeg who I vote for here in the general so I vote for the best presidential candidate on the ballot - sometimes that is a D, sometimes that is an I.

However the heavy D bias also means the only election that really matters for local stuff is the D primary. To have any say in local politics that also have an office on the primary ballot registering as a green (actually the 'green/dc statehood party' here) would be saying I do not give a fig about local politics.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 04-23-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #46 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
Yes, I am off-the-charts progressive but also much younger than Sanders. When I hear millennials talk though I realize many of them have found a way to even-further redefine the frontiers of what progressiveness (and even mainstream for their generation) is.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #47 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
seriously if all you're going to do is waste peoples time with vague BS and then try to claim after the fact that you meant it differently, I see no point continuing.
I've been trying hard to not make tldr posts and I'm not changing that now.
The entire point of that was to make a distinction between what is expected of most people and what some, nevertheless, have to do. Pull it out of context for your quote and then I'm the one bullshitting? The next line is still there in my post for everyone to see.

Quote:
the fact is no political party has a 'right' to anything, people however do. I'd be more disappointed but frankly you aren't the first to make that mistake, nor to try to pedal it as truth.
You seem to be under a false impression that a political party is some faceless org., government org., or something similar. They are organizations that groups of people got together to join. Like any group of people, they are protected under a constitutional right to associate. They have every right to decide who they will or will not permit to be a part of their process. You, as a person, have no right to demand that another group of people have to accept your influence in their group.
I know I'm not the first to pedal it. The Supreme Court beat me to it multiple times. I do know that doesn't make it correct, considering their history of blunders. I do believe they have constantly gotten that one right.
1 User Laughed:
Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #48 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Here's a good thread:

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/856134695318433792
Amber Guity is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #49 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

So how do political parties manage to function in states with *gasp* open primaries? They probably give up and focus their resources in other states, right?
1 User Laughed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #50 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

My Mood:
My response; Georgia has closed Primaries. My mother is [mostly] a classic progressive Democrat, but she's registered as a republican.

And as Kara brings up, if I want to be involved in Primaries for anything beyond President locally, I really should be registered as a Republican as well - here, even progressive women with blue/purple hair have been told they should run as a Republican.

Point is, there is nothing that says you have to actually align with the party you are registered with, and the only thing it affects is primaries, since last I knew, you do not have to vote straight party in General Elections.
1 User Agreed: