Bill O'Reilly Suddenly Takes A "Vacation" - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Bill O'Reilly Suddenly Takes A "Vacation"

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #51 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #52 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
OMG that's beautiful!!!
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #53 (permalink)

whatever

Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #54 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Trevor Noah has really come into his own as the host. It was impossible to be Jon Stewart, and it was a bumpy start, but he is brilliant and stands on his own as an excellent commentator and host.

Cristiano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #55 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Man, how did you guys make it?

When we went on a trip to Vegas a little over ten years ago, I remember making a "collect" phone call from the hotel to my grandmother. I don't remember how long the call was, or exactly how much the charge ended up being when she got the bill, but I remember her saying it was freaking murder.

She said something about how hotels in Vegas use special phone companies to charge really absurd amounts for collect calls, but I didn't care - I vowed never to use collect calling again after that. Luckily mobile phones with unlimited call plans have made collect calling obsolete.
I remember, when getting a new landline, having to choose a long-distance provider. That was always fun...

I also used to carry an AT&T calling card that I could use around the world. Come to think of it, that could still be handy.

Quote:
Yeah that's just insane.

I'd just borrow somebody's phone at that point. I mean, I have a phone; but in the US in 2017 if you by some twist of fate manage to not have your phone on you, there's like a 99.9% chance the first person you stop and ask is going to have one, and like at least 90% (if not higher) they're gonna have unlimited talk.
I still remember the first cell phone I got. It was a brick that just barely fit in an otherwise-empty pocket. I had a calling plan that offered something like 120 minutes per month, at 49 cents per minute. I don't miss those days at all.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #56 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Bill O'Reilly will hardly be leaving penniless:

Bill O’Reilly Payout Could Be as High as $25 Million - NYTimes
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #57 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Bill O'Reilly will hardly be leaving penniless:

Bill O’Reilly Payout Could Be as High as $25 Million - NYTimes
Yeah they just renewed his contract, what, last year? Beginning of this year? So at the very least they would have to buy that out. Plus who knows what the heck on top of that.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah they just renewed his contract, what, last year? Beginning of this year? So at the very least they would have to buy that out. Plus who knows what the heck on top of that.

I read somewhere they just renewed it a month ago and the terms for breaking it was one year severance.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:12 PM   #59 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Trevor Noah has really come into his own as the host. It was impossible to be Jon Stewart, and it was a bumpy start, but he is brilliant and stands on his own as an excellent commentator and host.
His Trump impressions at the end of this were glorious:

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -- C. Johnson

Last edited by detrius; 04-20-2017 at 11:19 PM.
detrius is online now   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #60 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

13 years ago, Billo lamented that women who are victims of sexual harassment gain an unfair advantage against their harassers

Quote:
The Times' report prompted dozens of companies to drop advertisers on O'Reilly's top-rated program, "The O'Reilly Factor," ultimately culminating with Wednesday's decision by Fox News's parent company, 21st Century Fox, to let the popular host go.

O'Reilly's statement in response to the Times' report said his prominence had made him a target -- an argument he made in the 2004 segment.

"I think that the sexual harassment thing is used as a club, as I said, by many women. It's something they have against men, a threat, to keep men at bay in a very competitive marketplace," O'Reilly said in that segment.

"There are women who manipulate themselves and use their sexuality to get ahead, alright?" he added a bit later. " And then, these women will turn around a file a sexual harassment suit."

In the latter stages of the interview, O'Reilly expressed disappointment that men were no longer permitted to make sexual jokes in the workplace -- a change he said "changed my life."

"I'll tell you, when I was a thug coming up, I mean, I would say almost anything around women," he said. "Now I don't say anything, you know, that could be remotely taken -- you know, because obviously I'm a big target and any kind of a thing like that stigmatizes you whether you're guilty or not, doesn't it?"

"Women, that's a big power source for them and I think some women use it ruthlessly," he added as he brought the segment to a close.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #61 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
These same people are the ones who try and use it against you for not using sex to get ahead too. Naturally.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #62 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriell Anatra View Post
These same people are the ones who try and use it against you for not using sex to get ahead too. Naturally.
Then they also turn it around and excuse rapists and harrassers by complaining about what the victim was wearing. Hypocritical, authoritarian, horseshit.

Last edited by Briar Bing; 04-21-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Briar Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #63 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Bing View Post
Then they also turn it around and excuse rapists nd harrassers by complaining about what the victim was wearing. Hypocritical, authoritarian, horseshit.
Yep. Maybe not all of them are brazen enough to victim blame; but in the workplace they'll pressure female underlings that they should dress more figure-flatteringly, show more cleavage or leg, whatev, and then the next day complain with the bros over beers about how unfair it is women have this sexual power over men in the workplace. They simultaneously demand sexualized women and complain about them.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #64 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Two hours after Billo was fired, a Fox News panelist was sexually harassed right the %&@$ on the air

Quote:
The crude comments were made by male panelists to The Five co-host Kimberly Guilfoyle during a round-table on-air discussion this week. 

Referring to the dress she was wearing, panelist Greg Gutfeld told Guilfoyle: "I think you're giving America a raise. "

Attention moved to Guilfoyle's wardrobe after fellow panelist Bob Beckel complained people were not listening to him properly.

But when Guilfoyle told Beckel to "call your camp counselor", he replied: "Call your dressmaker, I mean..."

Seemingly trying to brush off the comments, Guilfoyle suggested she would call her dressmaker to "give him a raise".

But then, fellow host Gutfeld interrupted with "You are giving America a raise".
Old 04-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #65 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
Catering to the constituency.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #66 (permalink)

Rawr

My Mood:
Client: SL Viewer 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi
(post above)
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 04-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #67 (permalink)

My Mood:

"Every time I try to rob a liquor store, the guy behind the counter gets to call the police who then come to harass me. Why does that guy get this kind of advantage and I don't? "
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 AM   #68 (permalink)

Bill O'Reilly returns with new podcast Monday

Old 04-24-2017, 03:14 AM   #69 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Well yeah - you didn't think he wasn't going to try to Glen Beck it now, did you?

I don't expect Fox-free O'Reilly to be substantially different, he had pretty free reign there. I just wonder (not enough to listen though) whether this first podcast of his is going to be extended rant about the women who got him fired. Or women in general.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:31 AM   #70 (permalink)

My Mood:

Well, at least this will marginally increase the number of elderly people online.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
I just wonder (not enough to listen though) whether this first podcast of his is going to be extended rant about the women who got him fired. Or women in general.
People who want to listen are going to have to pay for it. It's going to be subscription only.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #72 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Another Fox News employee sues

Quote:
Diana Falzone, who is billed as a former host of programming on FoxNews.com, filed a lawsuit Monday in New York State Supreme Court alleging gender and disability discrimination. In the suit, she made claims suggesting she was banned from taking part in on-air activities at Fox News three days after writing an article about how she suffered from endometriosis, a gynecological condition she said led to her infertility.

Falzone said in the lawsuit that the article had been approved by the company before it was published.

A Fox News spokesperson could not be reached for immediate comment.

Falzone is working with Nancy Erika Smith, the attorney who handled former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson’s sexual-harassment lawsuit against former Fox News chief Roger Ailes. Her allegations sparked an internal probe that led to Ailes’ ouster last year. Ailes has denied all charges.

In the suit, Falzone alleges a  supervisor told her three days after her article ran in January of 2017 that he had been instructed to ban her from ever appearing on FoxNews.com, and that she would never again be permitted to host her own shows, conduct her own interviews, appear on Fox TV, or even do voiceovers.

“The issues raised in Diana Falzone’s lawsuit are a concern for all women,” said Smith, a Montclair, NJ, attorney, in a prepared statement. “Fox News never banned her male counterparts who have discussed their personal health issues on air. Indeed, those men saw their careers advance,” said Smith.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #73 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Bill Shine, Fox News co-president, resigns from network amid harassment scandal
Quote:
The turmoil at Fox News continued on Monday with the ouster of co-president Bill Shine, who succeeded Roger Ailes amid a sexual-harassment scandal last summer despite Shine’s alleged role in abetting Ailes in tolerating a workplace hostile to women.

Shine, a 20-year Fox News veteran, appeared to have the backing of Fox chairman Rupert Murdoch in the wake of the firing of Bill O’Reilly, Fox’s biggest star. Only last week, Murdoch, Shine and Fox co-president Jack Abernethy were photographed emerging from lunch at a Manhattan restaurant, a tableau widely read as a vote of confidence by Murdoch in the two men.

Instead, Shine appeared to come under increasing pressure all week, as rumors began circulating that Murdoch’s sons — Lachlan and James, who run Fox’s parent company, 21st Century Fox — were seeking his successor.
Previously, Sean Hannity gave this ultimatum:

Quote:
He is the last man standing at Fox News Channel but Sean Hannity could walk if his long time friend and increasingly besieged FNC co-President Bill Shine doesn’t start seeing some support from the Murdoch family.

“Sean is willing to take a bullet for Bill out of loyalty and he knows he’s holding a lot of chits there right now too,” says a source close to the corridors of the Avenue of the Americas located cable newser. “If he threatens to leave, and he could, then that really could be the end of the place as we know it.”
Or will Hannity cuck out?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #74 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline trudeau View Post
Or will Hannity cuck out?
Why ever would we want the most arrogant, lying rightwing asshole this side of Trump to leave that sewer and threaten its existence?

1 User Agreed: