United Airlines Has Passenger Forcibly Removed On Overbooked Flight - Page 11 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » United Airlines Has Passenger Forcibly Removed On Overbooked Flight

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #251 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
And the friendly skies get even friendlier:

Family booted from Delta flight and threatened with jail after refusing to give up toddler’s seat - Washington Post

Seriously, when the airlines hire power-hungry assholes as their agents, what do they expect to happen?

Especially when they don't fully understand the regulations they are charged with enforcing:

Quote:
Later in the video, an agent can be heard telling Schear that according to Federal Aviation Administration regulations, his 2-year-old son could not occupy a seat during the flight and would need to sit in an adult’s lap.

Schear explained that his toddler had been strapped into a car seat in his own seat on the destination flight, but the agent brushed him off.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #252 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Passenger dissatisfied with gluten-free breakfast

Quote:
Londoner Martin Pavelka claims the lonely banana was served to him on an All Nippon Airways flight from Tokyo to Sydney, which was the second leg of his £1,200 trip to Australia.

The banana came with a sticker on it saying “GF” – for gluten free – and was served to him with a packet containing a knife, fork and salt.

Mr Pavelka, who suffers from the digestive condition coeliac, had been served a proper meal the previous evening. However, he was expecting something more substantial for breakfast.

“All other passengers were served a full breakfast meal consisting of eggs, sausage, mushrooms, bread, and yogurt,” he told the Evening Standard. “This was a nine-hour flight. Although definitely gluten-free, the banana did not keep me full for very long.”

Quote:
All Nippon Airways told Telegraph Travel: “ANA takes great pride in providing an exemplary customer experience for all passengers, and for this one passenger we did not meet his expectations
ROFL okay I'm done
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #253 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Dear Airlines,

You have totally brought the bad press, passenger anger and dissatisfaction upon yourselves. You actually deserve more criticism than you're getting. You treat people less humanely than farm animals. So Delta screw you and your media day.

Delta CANCELS media day after kicking parents off flight | Daily Mail Online

Charge more if you have to, but widen the seats a bit, quit charging us for every tiny little thing (like baggage and carry-on's), quit overbooking and start treating people like they are customers and not criminals and maybe you can hold your media day.

The backlash you are seeing now is only the tip of the iceberg.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #254 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
LOL this "complements" of Spirit Airlines ... Punches Fly In Airport Terminal After Spirit Cancels Several Flights | HuffPost

Honestly, I NEVER fly spirit after they charged my husband and I $300 for our carry on laptop bags, saying we should have booked them online except that their online site was not allowing it. So it wasn't me in the brawl. Not surprised it happened though. Spirit is a horrible airline.

Also - Quantas CEO got a pie in the face. Another satisfied customer?

LOL Qantas chief Alan Joyce gets pie in face at Perth business breakfast - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This shit is going to escalate because people who have to fly are miserable. They are literally paying to have a miserable experience. I for one am tired of it.
Rose Karuna is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #255 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Spirit IS just about the worst airline. It's a rock-bottom budget carrier, so you have to pay for absolutely everything - including things like laptop bags that regular airlines at least give you for free.
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #256 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

An Australian man is suing American Airlines, claiming injuries suffered from having to spend his flight from LA to Sidney impressed upon by two obese passengers:

Quote:
Michael Anthony Taylor, 67, said the airline refused to let him move seats, leaving him “crouching, kneeling, bracing or standing” for much of the flight from Sydney to Los Angeles.

He said his uncomfortable position during the flight exacerbated his scoliosis and caused lower and upper back injuries as well as bruising to his neck.

“I don’t hold any malice towards the people in the seats next to me - they’d paid for a ticket too,” he told Sydney’s Daily Telegraph.

Mr Taylor was in the window seat but claimed the two large passengers encroached on his space.

His lawyer said the case could lead to a push for airlines to make their economy – or equivalent - class more comfortable.

“If Michael is successful, this throws open the doors to potentially a large amount of cases against airlines and how they’ve designed their seating and how they seat passengers,” Thomas Janson, from Shine Lawyers, told the Daily Telegraph.
I think that last part might unfortunately be wishful thinking; but at the very least I do hope this guy gets some compensation. You think two or three or even four hours stuck crushed in an economy seat is uncomfortable, try fourteen.
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #257 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

A Federal court has issued a restraining order this evening compelling pilots for Spirit Airlines to stop their deliberate work slowdown, which the airline alleges is intended to influence union contract negotiations and has led to the cancellation of hundreds of flights over the last several days, including a cancellation earlier this morning that led to three people being arrested for violence at an airport in Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #258 (permalink)
Prim Fancier

*SLU Supporter*

Current status [twirly]

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January, 2007
Client: v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
LOL this "complements" of Spirit Airlines ... Punches Fly In Airport Terminal After Spirit Cancels Several Flights | HuffPost

Honestly, I NEVER fly spirit after they charged my husband and I $300 for our carry on laptop bags, saying we should have booked them online except that their online site was not allowing it. So it wasn't me in the brawl. Not surprised it happened though. Spirit is a horrible airline.

Also - Quantas CEO got a pie in the face. Another satisfied customer?

LOL Qantas chief Alan Joyce gets pie in face at Perth business breakfast - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This shit is going to escalate because people who have to fly are miserable. They are literally paying to have a miserable experience. I for one am tired of it.
The QANTAS guy got a pie in the face because he supports same sex marriage. Definitely not a satisfied customer

Quote:
"The man behind yesterday’s extra­ordinary public assault on Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce is a senior member of at least two Perth-based religious organisations.
Mr Joyce, who has drawn controversy over his public advocacy for marriage equality, had a cream pie shoved in his face at a business breakfast in Perth yesterday by a man confirmed by The Australian as Tony Overheu, a one-time National­s candidate and a senior member of the Church of Christ in the southern Perth suburb­ of Willetton­."
The Australian newspaper

Quote:
Cristiano We need to make 'endless celestial sex' into a thing.
Quote:
His Evol Holiness Trout of Troutlandia:
::The Temptress General Circle Widdershins, Dasher of Desires, Crusher of the Dreams of Mankind, Denter of Fenders, and High Priestess of The Temple of Carnage and Unholy Vice. She Whose Mere Presence Causes Her Enemies to Drop To Their Knees and Await Their Terrible Fate in Grim Obedience to Her Siren's Wail.::
Circle Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Myf
Old 05-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #259 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Someone taking that "no pooftas" thing in Monty Python a bit too seriously.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #260 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Widdershins View Post
The QANTAS guy got a pie in the face because he supports same sex marriage. Definitely not a satisfied customer

The Australian newspaper
Well in that case - I'm sorry he got the pie in the face because I admire his taking a public stand to support the right to marriage for everyone. It doesn't reduce the problems that airlines have been creating for absolutely years, but it does make me like the CEO of Qantas a bit more.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-14-2017, 02:07 AM   #261 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

More friendly skies:

New Jersey family says they were kicked off JetBlue flight over a birthday cake | abc7ny.com
1 User Said WTF?:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-14-2017, 05:29 AM   #262 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Of course guess which airline I will be on in a few hours?

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 05-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #263 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Bring pie with you. Seems they hate cake.
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-15-2017, 01:56 AM   #264 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
Bring pie with you. Seems they hate cake.
But don't try to take it with you across the USA/Canada border. I saw a man required to trash (or eat) a whole pork pie at customs once, because that particular foodstuff couldn't be imported to the destination country. Annoyingly, (it was 30 years ago) I can't remember in which direction I was going at the time.
Arkady Arkright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #265 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Delta Air Lines plans to use facial recognition to speed up bag drops

Not creepy at all.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #266 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Face recognition technology is one of those things that we're all gonna hate, but because of the potential uses I think it's going to become hugely prolific, so we're unfortunately gonna have to learn to get used to it.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #267 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Face recognition technology is one of those things that we're all gonna hate, but because of the potential uses I think it's going to become hugely prolific, so we're unfortunately gonna have to learn to get used to it.
NP. There's an app for that. https://www.amazon.com/Rubies-4418-f.../dp/B000UVGLHU
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 05-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #268 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Levenque View Post
Yep. If you ever wanted to be put on every government watch list in America, that'll do it!
Old 05-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #269 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
I found out on my vacation that Disney is now using fingerprints for anyone over 3. Seriously? I had a top secret clearance investigation and never had to give them (although a later clearance wanted them). Disney? Not only that, without doing things like telling people their retention policy.

This is a whole bloody SERIES of rants!!!!!
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #270 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
I found out on my vacation that Disney is now using fingerprints for anyone over 3. Seriously? I had a top secret clearance investigation and never had to give them (although a later clearance wanted them). Disney? Not only that, without doing things like telling people their retention policy.

This is a whole bloody SERIES of rants!!!!!
Oh Yeah, I (and our entire group) walked away when we were told that. Luckily none of us had any children with us, all of us were like WTF. I'll never go back to Disney, in all honesty, the only time it was a good experience for me was when I went to Disney in Anaheim when I was a little kid. Even then, I preferred Knotts Berry Farm a lot more.

Disney is all about the benjamins now. In Florida, their security and surveillance have WAY passed the stage of creepy.

http://gizmodo.com/disney-wants-to-t...aph-1784482398

Disney World Creepily Tracks Visitors NSA-Style With Magic Wristbands

https://consumerist.com/2016/09/07/d...kids-3-and-up/

I would not even trust using their bathrooms.

They pack so many people into the park you can hardly move and depending on the time of year, tickets can run from $100 to $200/day for the park.

If you really want to see UBER CREEPY visit Celebration Florida. Stepford people live there. So, so creepy I was looking over my shoulder the whole time I was eating lunch there.

http://gizmodo.com/celebration-flori...jus-1564479405

Regardless- I hope you have a good vacation. There is a lot to see in Orlando, Disney is only a drop in the bucket.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #271 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Thanks. What the annoying thing these places and the TSA do is pull stuff like that knowing you will not want to disturb the vacation for the rest of your group. If it were just me I would have put up a royal fuss. Especially since they do things like just tell you to put your finger there while ALSO scanning an rfid chip (talk about paranoid!). I am guessing a good fraction of visitors have no idea why they are submitting their finger to some magic post or what it is doing, just that they have to do it to get in.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #272 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

In Disney's case is prolly more like self-preservation. You know how many people are there, including children, and Disney is under quite honestly unreasonable demands of security and safety from its customers and public perception in general - have you ever seen a news article about some kind of accident or injury of or crime against a person, especially a child, at a Disney property? There's always someone down in the article who gets quoted saying something like "How could Disney let this happen?? You'd think children would be completely safe at Disney of all places!" Disney is an exceptionally rich corporation, so lawsuits against it often have astronomical figures attached.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #273 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

'You're Not a Normal Person': SF Man With Prosthetic Leg Asked to Vacate Exit Row Seat on Asiana Flight | NBC Bay Area
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #274 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

That was a rather rude way to put it; but federal regulations are really sticky about who can and can't be seated in exit rows.

Quote:
(b) No certificate holder may seat a person in a seat affected by this section if the certificate holder determines that it is likely that the person would be unable to perform one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section because—
(1) The person lacks sufficient mobility, strength, or dexterity in both arms and hands, and both legs:
(i) To reach upward, sideways, and downward to the location of emergency exit and exit-slide operating mechanisms;
(ii) To grasp and push, pull, turn, or otherwise manipulate those mechanisms;
(iii) To push, shove, pull, or otherwise open emergency exits;
(iv) To lift out, hold, deposit on nearby seats, or maneuver over the seatbacks to the next row objects the size and weight of over-wing window exit doors;
(v) To remove obstructions similar in size and weight to over-wing exit doors;
(vi) To reach the emergency exit expeditiously;
(vii) To maintain balance while removing obstructions;
(viii) To exit expeditiously;
(ix) To stabilize an escape slide after deployment; or
(x) To assist others in getting off an escape slide;
The reg goes on to say the airplane can't even leave the gate if there's someone in an exit row that they think may not meet the criteria.

We've made a lot of strides in prosthesis technology in the last few years, but it's still reasonable for an airplane crew to assume someone with an artificial limb may have compromised mobility or dexterity.
3 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #275 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
That was a rather rude way to put it
That's not an unusual culture clash and unfortunate word choices between a white anglo and a Chinese company rep. The difference with United is, United should have a better grasp of western sensibilities, where in Asia it's hit and miss.