Waiter refused to serve 4 women until he saw ‘proof of residency’ - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Waiter refused to serve 4 women until he saw ‘proof of residency’

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Apocagypsy

Coeur de Pinottes

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Waiter refused to serve 4 women until he saw ‘proof of residency’

A California waiter refused to serve 4 Latina women until he saw ‘proof of residency’ - The Washington Post
Quote:
But the mood soured quickly after the waiter appeared. Before he could serve the four Latina women, he said, they needed to show proof of residency. “I need to make sure you’re from here,” he said.

Flummoxed, the four women handed over their IDs. But as what was happening sank in, they fumed. “I looked at my sister and [my friend], and I said, did he really just say that?”

Before Trump's administration, did this sort of thing happen at times in some States? Did people other than the police ask people for ID to prove their citizenship?

Old 03-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

This wouldn't have happened if the women involved were open carrying.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
45 has emboldened the bullies. Even if he hadn't won, they'd probably be doing this. 😓

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Look at this from the bright side. Suffering always brings out good art.

(USA only)
You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I guess going to a restaurant really can be a kind of suffering, but I doubt it brings out any form of good art except when conducted by a competent and erudite restaurant critic.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabeau Imako View Post
Before Drumpf's administration, did this sort of thing happen at times in some States? Did people other than the police ask people for ID to prove their citizenship?
Not that I had heard much of. I am sure some idiots did variations of it but everyone agreed doing things like that to customers was an immediate trip to the unemployment office. The big difference is the idiots who would do it think they can get away with it now.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Apparently they don't want any tourist trade there either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
When's lunch?

Mama's babygirl :D

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Long long ago.
Client: Viewer 3, Firestorm

Send a message via Skype™ to Rodeejah Urquan
Welp, there goes that waiter's tip. 4 cents, a penny for what each woman thought of his assholery.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeejah Urquan View Post
Welp, there goes that waiter's tip. 4 cents, a penny for what each woman thought of his assholery.
If you read the article, he got fired for violating company policy.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Even if he were to be impeached tomorrow, the damage The Orange One has already done to this country is going to take years to repair.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Seriously nobody should ever be asked for ID in a restaurant unless they're ordering a drink or writing a check (and who does that anymore).
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Archer View Post
Seriously nobody should ever be asked for ID in a restaurant unless they're ordering a drink or writing a check (and who does that anymore).
Oddly at least Best Buy asks for ID. I am not talking huge purchases, just $20 or $30 things. I have no idea why since nobody ever looks at the signature if you have to sign when using a credit card (go ahead, sign something like 'this is stolen' sometime).
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Oddly at least Best Buy asks for ID. I am not talking huge purchases, just $20 or $30 things. I have no idea why since nobody ever looks at the signature if you have to sign when using a credit card (go ahead, sign something like 'this is stolen' sometime).

Yeah that's weird, I haven't been asked for ID by anybody lately except Motel 6, I understand why they do it though. But not at a store.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Just to clarify on top of what Daniel wrote...

Quote:
A few moments later, they walked over to the manager and told him what had happened. He offered them a separate section and his business card to make things right — but they had already decided to leave.

Seeing the social media backlash, the restaurant’s management contacted Carrillo that Monday. They offered a VIP experience at the restaurant and pledged to donate 10 percent of the weekend’s proceeds to a nonprofit organization of the group’s choice. The four women declined the lavish meal, but asked that the restaurant donate the money to Orange County Immigrant Youth United.
Kent Bearden, the senior director of operations at Saint Marc, told The Washington Post that the waiter who had asked for the women’s IDs had been fired. It was the first time the employee had done anything like this, Bearden said, and he “had never received so much as a write-up” before.

“I don’t know if he had an agenda or not,” said Bearden. “My concern is he violated a company policy. We’re very specific about how we treat out guests. That individual did not treat a table of guests to the expectations that we set forth in that company policy, and that caused him to be terminated.”
Soen Eber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Archer View Post
Yeah that's weird, I haven't been asked for ID by anybody lately except Motel 6, I understand why they do it though. But not at a store.
I got carded at BevMo the other day. At my age, I really take that as a compliment.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Along with Athena, move also your hand

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Yesterday
He probably thought his boss had too many customers.
If he who bursts out in anger is not really angry, then his anger is an outburst of nonanger. If he who launches into action is not really acting, then his action is a launching into inaction. He who wishes to be still must calm his energies; he who wishes to be spiritual must compose his mind; he who in his actions wishes to hit the mark must go along with what he cannot help doing. Those things that you cannot help doing - they represent the Way of the sage.
Twisted Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
The Best Buy here has never asked for our IDs.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

I went to a bar once in Portland probably around 2010 that carded everyone entering regardless of age. I asked the bouncer why. He said flat out that it was to keep out anyone who couldn't get id.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Super Science Award 
Just another sign we need the big one to hit and knock California off the main continent and sink at sea. They can all become high priests of Atlantis/Mu/Gowandaland/Nutville finally.

Not that I agree with the waiter's actions but something about this just doesn't add up to me. Hopefully I'm wrong but my instincts say there's some missing info here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
What was his logic? "If you're not a US citizen I won't be you waiter?" Does he think that it's common practice for restaurants to refuse non US citizens' patronage? Did he ID customers with say, British or German accents too? What a clown. What a bigot.

Last edited by Briar Bing; 03-19-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Briar Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
I went to a bar once in Portland probably around 2010 that carded everyone entering regardless of age. I asked the bouncer why. He said flat out that it was to keep out anyone who couldn't get id.
Places that serve alcohol need to protect themselves from liability, but, as long as you can show a passport or some other official document, it shouldn't matter (and usually doesn't, in my experience) what country the customer(s) hails from.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Bing View Post
Places that serve alcohol need to protect themselves from liability, but, as long as you can show a passport or some other official document, it shouldn't matter (and usually doesn't, in my experience) what country the customer(s) hails from.
It's those people who have no official documents they didn't want. Also, it's highly unusual for any bar in Portland to card everyone even if you're 50.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
It's those people who have no official documents they didn't want.
I get that, and that's a shitty attitude for them to hold, but, in the end, you really shouldn't be expecting to get into a club whose liquors sales make up the lion's share of their profits without ID. In fact, a bartender, server, doorman, etc, can be arrested, spend a few hours in jail, and be fined (and the business' liquor license can be suspended or revoked) if they don't check ID, in most states (if not all). Many jurisdictions run stings just to keep places (and their staff) that serve alcohol on their toes.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
From time to time, we receive questions on whether the OLCC requires anyone buying or being served alcohol to have a valid ID on them.

The OLCC requires licensees to check ID of anyone who reasonably appears 26 years old or younger.

An establishment might have a restriction on their liquor license due to a history of serving alcohol to minors or allowing minors in prohibited areas. In this case, it could be that a licensed business is required to check the ID of every person entering the establishment or being sold/served alcoholic beverages.

Or, a business can choose to have a stricter ID policy than what the state requires.
Oregon Liquor Control Commission: Can I see your ID, please?
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
Pretty similar to what we have here in MN. I've had the MN version of that training a couple of times at least, having been a server, bartender, and manager at various points in my life. The one difference I see between OR and MN is that we don't have the "Statement of Age card" option. At least, I was never made aware of it, if it is acceptable according to MN law.