Waiter refused to serve 4 women until he saw ‘proof of residency’ - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Waiter refused to serve 4 women until he saw ‘proof of residency’

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Y'all can tell me I look twenty anytime
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 AM   #27 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caete View Post
Just another sign we need the big one to hit and knock California off the main continent and sink at sea. They can all become high priests of Atlantis/Mu/Gowandaland/Nutville finally.

Not that I agree with the waiter's actions but something about this just doesn't add up to me. Hopefully I'm wrong but my instincts say there's some missing info here.
Yeah. Not the sinking at sea part, but the not adding up part. It's wildly out of character for California and for southern California especially. We (the Anglos who live here) grow up in a two-language society. Our classmates include a great many kids whose parents were born in Mexico. The idea that Hispanic women would be somehow outside the norm for California is ridiculous. Either the waiter is a full-on Nazi or there's more to the story than has been revealed.

I see I wrote about my growing up in the present tense, but the fact I was referencing experiences that are decades old shouldn't matter. The same thing is true today.

ETA: and Brenda doesn't look a day older than nineteen.

Last edited by Dillon Levenque; 03-20-2017 at 02:20 AM. Reason: egregious flattery, just because I can.
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
The Best Buy here has never asked for our IDs.
It does not seem to happen in DC but was routine in VA. I am guessing it was something to do with using a CC. Odd since usually they do not LET you use cash there so if you do not have a CC I guess they do not want your money.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 03-20-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #29 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Oddly at least Best Buy asks for ID. I am not talking huge purchases, just $20 or $30 things. I have no idea why since nobody ever looks at the signature if you have to sign when using a credit card (go ahead, sign something like 'this is stolen' sometime).
does your cc have your name on it?
does your dl have your name on it?
2 + 2 = 4
is merely a quick simple verification that the names match
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
2 + 2 = 4
Infinity + Infinity = Infinity

It is not Friday. Why are you here anyway?

What business is it of the clerk's what my nonexistent DL says? Mythical because I do not drive: yes, I am one of those elite people you hear of that has a passport as a primary form of identification. Well, it was my primary one until it was stolen, now I had to get a non-driver's ID until I get a new passport again. Anyway, if I go on their web site with my CC nobody asks me for my ID so why should I need to show it in the store to buy the same exact item?
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyway, if I go on their web site with my CC nobody asks me for my ID so why should I need to show it in the store to buy the same exact item?
According to this, merchants are allowed to ask for but generally not allowed to require id to complete a credit card purchase.

https://www.privacyrights.org/blog/c...ay-credit-card
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #32 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
It does not seem to happen in DC but was routine in VA. I am guessing it was something to do with using a CC. Odd since usually they do LET you use cash there so if you do not have a CC I guess they do not want your money.
ther are also all sorts of stupid things that require ID checks these days by law, canned air, video games, and in some places even anything with a service contract
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Levenque View Post
Yeah. Not the sinking at sea part, but the not adding up part. It's wildly out of character for California and for southern California especially. We (the Anglos who live here) grow up in a two-language society. Our classmates include a great many kids whose parents were born in Mexico. The idea that Hispanic women would be somehow outside the norm for California is ridiculous. Either the waiter is a full-on Nazi or there's more to the story than has been revealed.

I see I wrote about my growing up in the present tense, but the fact I was referencing experiences that are decades old shouldn't matter. The same thing is true today.

What's always boggled my mind about people like this waiter, who live in states with SPANISH names, getting all huffy about Hispanic people living in those states, native or otherwise.
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
It does not seem to happen in DC but was routine in VA. I am guessing it was something to do with using a CC. Odd since usually they do not LET you use cash there so if you do not have a CC I guess they do not want your money.
Must have been more of a local thing then, possibly to do with theft. Either of merchandise or CC theft, or both. The only thing we're asked is "debit or credit".

I have lived in places where you were carded regardless of payment method. I've even been carded when paying cash once. Needless to say I never went back to that particular place.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #35 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
I actually appreciate it when they ask me for ID if I'm using a credit card. Probably because I had a coworker (and "friend") steal a CC from me once, and then he proceeded to go on a $7,000 shopping spree. Had they asked for his ID at some of those retailers, he would have gotten away with far less. It took many months to get that all straightened out. Luckily, that CC was issued through my credit union, and their fraud department was very assertive and helpful.
Briar Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Disagreed:
Old 03-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #36 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
ther are also all sorts of stupid things that require ID checks these days by law, canned air, video games, and in some places even anything with a service contract
Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride, because meth labs. It's now literally over the counter, because they keep it behind the counter at the drug store.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #37 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Bing View Post
I actually appreciate it when they ask me for ID if I'm using a credit card. Probably because I had a coworker (and "friend") steal a CC from me once, and then he proceeded to go on a $7,000 shopping spree. Had they asked for his ID at some of those retailers, he would have gotten away with far less. It took many months to get that all straightened out. Luckily, that CC was issued through my credit union, and their fraud department was very assertive and helpful.
If it's a store I've never been to or rarely go to then yes, I do appreciate the effort to ensure my security. If it's a store where I shop regularly and am known/recognized by the employees, I find it unnecessary.

It could cause us problems when it's a case of needing to use the other's debit card (we don't have CCs) to make a purchase since our last names do not match. So far it hasn't happened but I dread the day it does because that will be a day when it is imperative the purchase is made. Like the day I had to run out and buy a ramp so we could load one of the bikes into the back of the truck to get it home. Knowing the PIN wouldn't make any difference and calling a tow truck was not an option.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Levenque View Post

Thank you *blush*
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

300ft above sea level

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caete View Post
Just another sign we need the big one to hit and knock California off the main continent and sink at sea.
The other side of the San Andreas faultline feels pretty similarly about those east of it.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #40 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Infinity + Infinity = Infinity

It is not Friday. Why are you here anyway?

What business is it of the clerk's what my nonexistent DL says? Mythical because I do not drive: yes, I am one of those elite people you hear of that has a passport as a primary form of identification. Well, it was my primary one until it was stolen, now I had to get a non-driver's ID until I get a new passport again. Anyway, if I go on their web site with my CC nobody asks me for my ID so why should I need to show it in the store to buy the same exact item?
does the website ask for the billing address?

ps: you really should sign your CCs
Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:

How do you sign this thing?

Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #42 (permalink)

My Mood:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #43 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I prefer a hammer and chisel.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 PM   #44 (permalink)

My Mood:
Old 03-21-2017, 05:21 AM   #45 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Must have been more of a local thing then, possibly to do with theft. Either of merchandise or CC theft, or both. The only thing we're asked is "debit or credit".

I have lived in places where you were carded regardless of payment method. I've even been carded when paying cash once. Needless to say I never went back to that particular place.
BB is .... odd. Most of the time they are not set up to take cash at ANY register. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of not letting kids have cards.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:27 AM   #46 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Bing View Post
I had my entire wallet stolen/lost once. Typically what people do is they go somewhere low-risk (a vending machine maybe) and see if the card is still active. My card companies noticed those initial places were not in my normal pattern so immediately called me.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #47 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Who says I do not?

BTW, interesting you should mention that. A person mentioned yesterday signing a CC with a smiley face. That way he can do the same on receipts. Actually almost nobody looks at the signature when you use a CC anyway (and your odds of that someone being a handwriting expert are practically 0), it is security theater. I thought it was a fun idea if he was ever called on it to be able to say it matched what was on his card.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #48 (permalink)

This space for rent

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2009
Client: Firestorm
I write "Check ID" in the signature space on all my cards.

About half the time I'm asked to see the card (7-11 consistently interestingly enough), and about half of that I'm asked to show ID.
LoriClaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #49 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Who says I do not?

BTW, interesting you should mention that. A person mentioned yesterday signing a CC with a smiley face. That way he can do the same on receipts. Actually almost nobody looks at the signature when you use a CC anyway (and your odds of that someone being a handwriting expert are practically 0), it is security theater. I thought it was a fun idea if he was ever called on it to be able to say it matched what was on his card.
When one doesn't sign the CC, one shouldn't be surprised when one is asked for ID.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #50 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
When one doesn't sign the CC, one shouldn't be surprised when one is asked for ID.
I do sign my cards. Are you about to prove otherwise now?