The Democratic Party seems to have no earthly idea why it is so damn unpopular - Page 5 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » The Democratic Party seems to have no earthly idea why it is so damn unpopular

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 03:25 AM   #101 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Awards: 1
Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Beau can't spell. Mr B can spell.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-18-2017, 04:48 AM   #102 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorus Xi View Post
Simply put there's not going to be meaningful gun regulation in the US in the next 50 years.
Simply put, it isn't really possible for a single gun regulation to have a statistically verifiable outcome on gun crimes without being combined with other gun regulations and being in effect for many years. We aren't going to suddenly go the route Australia took with an outright ban, (which they actually have statistics for), but that doesn't justify doing nothing at all. The USA has a gun problem with which no other modern democracy can compare.

Quote:
I like the assault weapons ban as my personal favorite "Pointless bit of gun legislation in the last 30 years" because more people have been killed by rash masturbation accidents in the US than have been killed by assault rifles.
Pointless mostly because of the grandfathering when enacted and given only a decade-long life-span, and had no other controls following to build on it. We still had and have people easily predicted as violent risks able to get guns without any problems.
But yeah, people still die in car crashes, so gun violence, and deaths/massacres from rapid firing weapons in particular, isn't a problem.
GTFO with that shit.

Quote:
about global warming/climate change etc. [...]
This leads educated people like me to scientific journals, but joe dirtfarmer probably don't have good internet ya'll.
I think you should take a step back and look at the picture you just painted contrasting yourself from 'them' before you lead into how to deal with rural Americans.
Quote:
So maybe treating him like a retard when he expresses doubt isn't the way to go. You get to call them retards when you refute them in person after providing the evidence and they choose to ignore it anyways, not when there's refuting evidence out there somewhere buried in a scientific American journal that they've never read.
1 - This specific issue isn't a case of urban vs rural;
2 - The contrasting stereotypes of the stuck-ups and dumbasses was around long before this issue, and won't go away with it either. It is something you tackle with and throw at the people, not the political party you aimed this toward. I haven't seen a single Democratic politician calling rural Americans retards. Maybe throw that criticism at other citizens and comedians if you think it is deserved.

And I don't think you have to hunt for evidence buried in secret scientific journals anymore.

Have you been paying attention for the last few years? I see and hear evidence being presented about multiple issues that our political systems are addressing and it really doesn't matter where it comes from - it is soundly rejected, along with the whole idea that science itself is anything but a belief system.

I will agree that Democrats have to campaign heavily in rural areas in person in degrees they have not in recent decades, but there is no excuse for the denials of evidence presented that has already happened.

Nobody proved anything to them yet? Bullshit. It has been constantly presented and is constantly ridiculed. But yeah, personal tutoring has to be attempted. Those mocking other people for wanting safe space from hard truths have to be spared from some reality hurting their feelings.

Quote:
They probably should have paid attention to the states they assumed were in the bag and maybe ignored the traditional swing states.
It's still a huge country and the mileage is huge. It is always a gamble as for where to spend time campaigning. Yes, the traditional states believed in the bag would have made the difference themselves. So would Pennsylvania and Florida by themselves.
All of these I told you sos make for a good lesson and would be kind of like rubbing their faces in it . . . if someone had told them so.
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #103 (permalink)
Ava Ava hot like lava

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 26, 2007

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
more people have been killed by rash masturbation accidents

I wish to hear more on this topic.
Ava Glasgow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #104 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcBrian View Post
Nobody proved anything to them yet? Bullshit. It has been constantly presented and is constantly ridiculed. But yeah, personal tutoring has to be attempted. Those mocking other people for wanting safe space from hard truths have to be spared from some reality hurting their feelings.
I feel there's a massive disconnect on what "Rural" is and isn't. I grew up on the edge of Rural and I had a terrible public education full of opportunities to join the Future Farmers of America, and the earth sciences mainly consisted of saying things like "Don't litter" but fortunately due to being on the edge I had access to things like the internet, and I'm not going to lie. Easy access to information rapidly changed my world view.

However thanks to living in a semi rural area of the dirty south I can state with authority that there are people I work with who live out in the sticks, in these rural areas, that can't even get internet if they wanted it. Dial up is shuttered, and time warner just doesn't deliver. Their main internet? Only when they come into the office. And rabbit ears on the TV is still the prime way to get media. Their political opinions mainly march in lockstep with their parents.

Now you can put on your big meanie head face and say things like "These people deserve to be mocked" while completely ignoring that empathy word that our side is theoretically supposed to have more of, and then have a monacle popping moment when the unwashed masses strangely don't vote in lockstep with the folks who call them names.
Jorus Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #105 (permalink)

My Mood:
I mean yeah it would be great if our voting populous was made up entirely of highly educated rational actors. But you go to the polls with the dummies you got.
Jorus Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:53 PM   #106 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
I feel there's a massive disconnect on what "Rural" is and isn't.
I don't believe there is a disconnect here. Personally, I would describe myself as having been raised on that edge you described; not in lifestyle/location, but direct family. My mother moved to Florida (sometime before 1960) from what was basically isolated areas in Tennessee mountains. I am aware of mindsets and mannerisms more than I'll get into here.
It's also fair to say that there is no political distinction based solely on rural vs. urban people; only which would be predominant. There are Democrats in the hills and sticks, and Republicans in major cities.

Quote:
Easy access to information rapidly changed my world view.[...]

Their main internet? Only when they come into the office.
I am only going to agree that high-speed internet is a rich topic that liberals have to offer rural communities while conservatives in power try to justify denying it.
Their main internet? Their cell phones, predominantly YouTube and Facebook. Access to information is not the problem. The widespread 'alternate' information is. I would guess we can thank conservatives in the cities for the most help with that.

Quote:
Now you can put on your big meanie head face and say things like "These people deserve to be mocked" [...]
Nobody is saying these people deserve to be mocked.
Hateful ideology deserves to be mocked to be laid bare for what it is. I agree that rural communities need to be given far more attention by liberals than in the past, but not with a spineless censoring of values.
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote