The GOP's Obamacare Replacement Is Out, And It Is Worse Than Even Anyone Expected - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » The GOP's Obamacare Replacement Is Out, And It Is Worse Than Even Anyone Expected

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
The GOP's Obamacare Replacement Is Out, And It Is Worse Than Even Anyone Expected

The GOP's Obamacare repeal plan is out--and it's even worse than anyone expected - LA Times

1. The proposal defunds Planned Parenthood.
2. The bill effectively shuts down private health insurance coverage for abortion.
3. The individual and employer mandates are eliminated.
4. Essential health benefit rules are repealed.
5. Income based premium subsidies would be replaced by age-based subsidies.
6. The medicaid expansion is killed.
As of Dec. 31, 2019, the Medicaid expansion is repealed. Traditional Medicaid will be block-granted, a system almost certain to result in less federal funding for the joint state-federal program than it would have received, over time. The neediest and sickest Americans will increasingly be on their own, as states get less federal help to provide them with medical services.
7. All of Obamacare taxes are repealed, a boon for the rich.
Everything from the tax on tanning salons and medical devices to the surcharge on high-income taxpayers will be gone. As we explained earlier, this amounts to an enormous tax cut for the wealthy — at least $346 billion over 10 years, every cent going to taxpayers earning more than $200,000 ($250,000 for couples). The proposal would sharply raise the limits on contributions to tax-advantaged Health Savings Accounts — another gimme for the rich. The tax repeal, the Brookings Institution has reported, will make it impossible to pay for any Obamacare “replacement” — which still isn’t on the horizon. It also will exacerbate the fiscal problems of Medicare, by hastening the exhaustion of the program’s trust fund by four years, to 2025.

I focused on quoting the last two, to show that they are taking away from the poor and sick to give to the wealthy.

What a decidedly horrible country we have become. I am thoroughly disgusted by the selfish people who voted for these monsters.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said WTF?:
Old 03-07-2017, 04:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's terrible. It's about what I expected. They have no humanity.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
only mostly banned

*SLU Supporter*

paddling.....

My Mood:
Business: Building in Motion
Client: References available on request.
The Washington Post is reporting that it allows insurers to impose a 30% surcharge on people who lose insurance and then try to pick it back up. If it is true then people who change jobs could pay a steep penalty. Also, people with immediate medical needs will be caught in a vice if they have a problem with their short term money flow. They may have to choose between debt and permanently losing insurance.

A couple summers ago I switched jobs, and my former employee screwed up and failed to correctly inform me of my options, and I fell into a gap for a couple of months. Under this plan I would have been S.O.L.. It is hard to tell if the insurance companies would be willing to exercise this option, but if are able to carry through, then I believe the technical term for it is "exaction."

It is shocking that people want to take such a large step backwards.

"I understand that people are scared, but they should listen to facts." - Ryan White

Grandma Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-07-2017, 05:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Old 03-07-2017, 05:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
I guess the best we can hope for now is that they have not just stepped but stomped on a public opinion land mine and that they ain't seen nothin' yet at their "town hall meetings."

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
How to make more Democrats. Also they think their townhalls were full of angry people when they had not presented a plan yet?

Health savings accounts? Uggh. I use health insurance all the time but consider those accounts a scam.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Bates View Post
The Washington Post is reporting
This is the line I liked the most from them in it:

"There is no precedent for Congress to reverse a major program of social benefits once it has taken effect and reached millions of Americans."
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
This is the line I liked the most from them in it:

"There is no precedent for Congress to reverse a major program of social benefits once it has taken effect and reached millions of Americans."
So it's .................................................. ............ wait for it .............

unpresidented?

Casey Pelous is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
So basically it's no plan. It's not worse than I expected, it's exactly what I expected from these cretins.

#townhalls. Bring them on.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2005
Client: Official client
I saw somewhere yesterday that some Repubs are going rogue and not planning to vote for the new plan. I think the report said there are four who are not voting for it, and it's a problem because the most Repub votes they can lose is two. I can't find the source atm because it was a flyby on Facebook.

Also, there's this: Rand Paul: GOP healthcare plan won't pass | TheHill

Quote:
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) says the House GOP plan to repeal and replace ObamaCare will not pass because it is too similar to the original healthcare law.

“Th House leadership plan is Obamacare Lite. It will not pass. Conservarives are not going to take it,” Paul tweeted Tuesday, adding a call for full repeal of ObamaCare.
(the misspells and typos are Paul's from his Tweet.)
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Easily Distracted

Just Sans

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2005
Client: Official client
Found it: Conservatives aren’t happy with the GOP’s health care bill.

Quote:
Four Republican senators from states that passed Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion—Alaska’s Lisa Murkowski, Colorado’s Cory Gardner, West Virginia’s Shelley Moore Capito, and Ohio’s Rob Portman—also oppose the House GOP’s plan and wrote a letter to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell saying so. “We are concerned that any poorly implemented or poorly timed change in the current funding structure in Medicaid could result in a reduction in access to life-saving health care services,” they wrote, “and we will not support a plan that does not include stability for Medicaid expansion populations or flexibility for states.”
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Not easily amused.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
I'll believe it when it happens. I don't trust a single one of these jokers.

Especially this jerk:

Chaffetz: Americans should forgo new iPhone to afford healthcare - POLITICO
Amber Guity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
Not ACA Related, but healthcare related:

I received this article in my inbox from Medium.com. I did not know about these trigger laws in 10 assorted states. Wow. I don't even think we're at a point of what if, but what do we do when it happens.

https://medium.com/mother-jones/if-t...9d6#.p32g0x3u4

Quote:
She was especially concerned about an obscure 40-year-old provision in Illinois’ criminal code, one of a number of measures in 10 states across the country, that anticipate a time when the Supreme Court reverses itself on abortion. They are often referred to as “trigger laws,” because even though each state’s provision works a bit differently, the measures are “triggered” by the reversal of Roe v. Wade. Should that occur, these states commit to making abortion illegal in all cases, except to protect a mother’s life, just as it was before the Supreme Court’s 1973 ruling. (In four states, the trigger law makes the switch back to illegal abortion automatic.)...

Many such laws, including the one in Illinois, go even further, saying that if Roe is overturned, the state intends to renew their so-called “policy” that life begins at conception. This approach could not only affect the legality of abortion but also common forms of birth control, such as Plan B or IUDs, which some anti-abortion advocates consider to be abortifacients despite medical consensus to the contrary.
1 User Said WTF?:
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
It's looking like it's DOA. Nobody likes it, even the Kochs and the Heritage Foundation.

Amber Guity is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Like This:
Old 03-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
SLERPee

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Guity View Post
It's looking like it's DOA. Nobody likes it, even the Kochs and the Heritage Foundation.

Heritage I can see, as their plan was the basis for the ACA.
jacqueline trudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

That gap thing is brutal.

Back in the day I was out of work for a while and COBRA ran out, and I couldn't afford from-scratch insurance, so we went a few months with no insurance and then when we picked it up again the insurance company basically said "because you had a gap, you have to wait for X months before full coverage starts up". My wife broke her leg right after the insurance finally kicked in again. If it had happened two days earlier the ER wouldn't have been covered.

Yeh, that's making America great again.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Not easily amused.

My Mood:

Trumpcare is a big tax cut for the rich, but that's not enough for the maniacs

Quote:
For Republicans, healthcare policy has nothing to do with care, it's about tax policy and specifically about how to give the wealthy the most and the biggest tax breaks. So it's not at all surprising that that's just what Trumpcare does.

House Republicans’ Obamacare replacement plan would cut taxes on the wealthy by hundreds of billions of dollars.

Their long-awaited proposal, unveiled Monday evening, would among other things kill a 3.8 percent investment tax on the well-to-do that Democrats had used to help finance the health care law, as well as a 0.9 percent surcharge on wages above $250,000.

The Tax Policy Center says that's about $195,000 annually for the top 0.1 percent of earners. By the way, the various tax repeals in the repeal would cost $500 billion in lost revenue in the next ten years, the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) estimates. So there's that. You'd think that would be enough to win the Koch brothers and the Freedom Caucus and the Heritage Foundation and all of them over, wouldn't you? I mean, tax cuts! That's everything.

Except it's not. Because some people will still get tax breaks to help them get insurance—the people who should be choosing health care instead of iPhones, that is. Those people get help, too, so it's "welfare."
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Jason Chaffetz: Poor People Shouldn't Buy iPhones If They Need Money For Health Care | The Huffington Post

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
SLERPee

My Mood:
Quote:

Those groups feel it's not heartless enough.

Quote:
Outside conservative groups on Tuesday blasted House Republicans’ newly unveiled healthcare proposal, saying it doesn’t live up to the GOP’s promise of fully repealing ObamaCare.

The Club for Growth dubbed the proposal “RyanCare” and threatened to record names of Republicans who vote for the bill unless it includes significant changes.

Heritage Action, FreedomWorks and the Koch brothers-backed Americans for Prosperity, a group aligned with billionaire industrialists Charles and David Koch, also issued scathing statements highly critical of the "American Health Care Act," which was released on Monday.

FreedomWorks panned the GOP bill as "ObamaCare-Lite," while AFP labeled it "ObamaCare 2.0."

“This is simply not a full repeal of ObamaCare. It falls far short of the promises Republicans made to the American people in four consecutive federal elections,” AFP President Tim Phillips said in a phone interview Tuesday.
Conservative groups blast GOP healthcare plan | TheHill
jacqueline trudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said WTF?:
Old 03-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Not easily amused.

My Mood:

The House’s Obamacare repeal bill would strand drug addicts without access to care

Quote:
As tens of thousands of Americans die from drug overdoses each year, House Republicans are preparing a bill that could make the current and next drug crisis worse.

The American Health Care Act, which seeks to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare), may not at first seem directly linked to the ongoing opioid painkiller and heroin epidemic, which contributed to a majority of the more than 52,000 drug overdose deaths in 2015. But because the bill deals with health care broadly, it will impact access to drug addiction treatment — potentially deciding how accessible care is for the millions of Americans with drug use disorders.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
He nailed exactly what they were going to do.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
6. The medicaid expansion is killed.
Bastards might as well shoot me now because without the expansion I won't ever have insurance again. I'll never be able to afford it.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Agreed:
Old 03-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
I'll believe it when it happens. I don't trust a single one of these jokers.

Especially this jerk:

Chaffetz: Americans should forgo new iPhone to afford healthcare - POLITICO
six posts later

Everyone got that? Chaffetz does not think you should buy an Iphone if you need money for healthcare.

(brought to you by Samsung)
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
Paul Ryan defends Obamacare replacement as 'act of mercy' - Business Insider

Fecking Eddie Munster, Ayn Rand-loving little creep. I can't tell if he's just a liar or if he actually believes this garbage, being the true believer in Ayn Randian hypotheses.

Quote:
House Speaker Paul Ryan on Tuesday defended the House GOP leadership's plan to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, calling the overhaul of the healthcare system an "act of mercy" and guaranteeing it would have enough votes to pass the House.
Ryan said the legislation, called the American Health Care Act (AHCA), fulfilled Republican promises to repeal and replace Obamacare and would help to unburden average Americans from high healthcare costs.