The GOP's Obamacare Replacement Is Out, And It Is Worse Than Even Anyone Expected - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » The GOP's Obamacare Replacement Is Out, And It Is Worse Than Even Anyone Expected

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #76 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
It's not really saving money if you're passing the expense onto hospitals, which have gone under before, in part from uninsured people.

You can't get chronic health care in the ER - you can't get treated there for cancer, diabetes, most mental health issues and so on. All they have to do is stabilize you and send you home. Where you will be racking up costs first as a disabled, then as a dead person.

But at least it's not in the federal budget.

Yet another Republican con.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #77 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
This was making the rounds on FB today:

Quote:
When I was hungry, you canceled my food stamps
When I was thirsty, you diverted lead & coal into my water
When I was sick, you tripled my insurance rates
When I was naked, you raped me & blamed me because i was naked
When I was in prison, you enslaved me to corporations
When I was a stranger with brown skin you deported me

From the lonely you took away social programs
From the elderly, you took away meals & medicine
From the workers, you took away legal protections
From the young, you took away school funding
From the victims, you took away shelter

Instead of diversity, you encourage intolerance
Instead of caring, you encourage isolation
Instead of equity, you encourage military excess

When the 1% has ground us into the dust, taken all of our money, and let us die for lack of insurance - who will you feed upon?

Last edited by Briar Bing; 03-18-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Briar Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #79 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Republicans revamp U.S. health bill to help older Americans

Quote:
U.S. House Republicans are working on changes to their healthcare overhaul bill to provide more generous tax credits for older Americans and to add a work requirement for the Medicaid program for the poor, U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan said on Sunday.
Just how the hell do they think that this is going to help those of us who are poor and have difficulty finding a job because of our "older" status? They can't wrap their pea brains around the idea that the older you are the harder it is (if not impossible) to find a job.

Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #80 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Relevant:

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Yay!:
Old 03-19-2017, 11:36 PM   #81 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Republicans revamp U.S. health bill to help older Americans

Just how the hell do they think that this is going to help those of us who are poor and have difficulty finding a job because of our "older" status? They can't wrap their pea brains around the idea that the older you are the harder it is (if not impossible) to find a job.

*HUGS*

I'm afraid it's going to be some kind of manual labor requirement of working for something chosen by the government. And since I can't do that, I would be forced to try to get myself declared disabled so I could demand accommodation. At least, that is my guess at a prediction. I do have a number of things that are on the federal disability list. But I can still do my "customary work" because it's not manual labor or standing up work.

I couldn't even get declared disabled when I had cancer. If I had been forced to work for my Medicaid, I would have had to forego care (abdominal surgery and 45 days of radiation) and I'd be dead. I had a doctor telling me I had to get treated or I had about a year. The cancer was found to be at Stage 3c.

That is to say a work requirement would keep people with serious chronic illness off Medicaid and kill some of them. Because I don't believe for a minute they will write the work requirement in such a way as to take severe chronic illness into account. I will be very surprised if "able bodied" is anything other than "ambulatory" as if those two things were remotely the same.

This shit is upsetting.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #82 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Because I don't believe for a minute they will write the work requirement in such a way as to take severe chronic illness into account. I will be very surprised if "able bodied" is anything other than "ambulatory" as if those two things were remotely the same.
They will probably follow UK's lead and outsource evaluations to contractors who are penalized for allowing too many people to claim benefits.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #83 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
They will probably follow UK's lead and outsource evaluations to contractors who are penalized for allowing too many people to claim benefits.
Americans don't realize how many people have died because of stuff like this.
3 Users Agreed:
Old 03-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #84 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Somehow I doubt they would even bother with doing anything like that. Expect the worst and hope it doesn't go downhill from there.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #85 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Remember when I stated, perhaps in a different thread, that when the Republicans want to abolish programs at the Federal level and toss it back to the states, that they also want to abolish them at state levels, leaving people with nothing?

House Republican Committee Votes To Abolish MNsure « WCCO | CBS Minnesota

This is them taking their first steps in abolishing the medical safety net in Minnesota, a liberal state, but in which they have control of the House and Senate. If they succeed in this while Republicans at the Federal level also succeed, they will have destroyed the means of giving people healthcare here.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #86 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Apparently they cancelled the press conference and are going to postpone the vote.
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 04-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #87 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Just when you thought it might be safe to see your doctor.

White House, conservatives mull deal to revive Obamacare repeal

Quote:
The House Freedom Caucus, a conservative group that helped bring down the bill, has been in talks with Trump administration officials about changes to the legislation that might get them to “yes.” One option seriously being considered, three Hill sources said, includes allowing governors to opt out of some Obamacare regulations.

The developments could mean that Speaker Paul Ryan’s bill might not be dead after all — or at least indicate that continued discussions are going on behind the scenes.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-04-2017, 01:20 AM   #88 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
The House GOP Health Care Bill Is Very Much Alive

Quote:
hat agreement, which is still far from a reality, would hinge on Republicans accepting changes to their health care bill that would violate a key promise from President Donald Trump, namely that insurers would have to offer plans to people with pre-existing conditions.

While those regulations would still technically exist, the idea is that the House bill would now allow states to opt out of “community rating” regulations, which compel insurers to offer plans at the same rate for sick people. Ditching those protections would let insurers charge exorbitant rates for people with pre-existing conditions while also offering plans that don’t offer key services, like maternity care, hospitalization or lab services. Conservatives believe those people would then go into so-called high-risk pools for coverage, but the effect would still likely lead to people who need health care the most paying the most ― or not being able to afford coverage at all.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 04-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #89 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
A "hat agreement"?

I am guessing Donny is still mystified why he can not roll it back by just signing some executive order.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #90 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

See figure 1.