Oroville dam in CA has partially failed. 188000 ordered to evacuate. - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Oroville dam in CA has partially failed. 188000 ordered to evacuate.

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2017, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Oroville dam in CA has partially failed. 188000 ordered to evacuate.

This seems like it is quite a big deal, particularly if there is catastrophic failure.

Threat of Oroville spillway collapse lessens as thousands evacuate from Marysville, Yuba, Butte and Sutter counties | The Sacramento Bee

Quote:
If the dam completely failed, flood depths could reach more than 100 feet in Oroville and up to 10 feet in Yuba City.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Did you see Rachel's coverage on Friday?

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
"Hello America, this is Reality. I'd like to remind you of the very real world that exists outside the twitterverse governed by your lunatic emperor and his horde of flying monkeys. Now you better pay some fucking attention to the important stuff and actual problems rather than fake crime statistics, imaginary voter fraud etc. before I drown a few thousand of you guys and turn your richest state into a desert. Thanks."
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -- C. Johnson

Last edited by detrius; 02-13-2017 at 08:52 AM.
detrius is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
Have you read the comments? its like they want them to drown...

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
AKA: Marita Mumfuzz

*SLU Supporter*

Mostly Lurking

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Don't remember
Business: None , SL is for relaxin no work
Client: Any except Official

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Just a FYI below is a live feed on Youtube

I think politicians should be required to dress like race car drivers.

That way we would know who their corporate sponsors are.

There was a time when the stupid were eaten by predators.

Now, they run for public office.
Marita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Did you see Rachel's coverage on Friday?
It was stunning. And it's not the Oroville dam itself that's failing, it's the adjacent spillway that has developed a huge sinkhole. The problem is, they can't shut down the overflow because the lake is already at 98% capacity. Shutting down the overflow would definitely compromise the dam itself.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
It was my understanding the dam itself is in no danger. It is basically a case of the broken spillway or the mountain.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
bunneh

Location: Maybe the Bay, maybe the UK, maybe somewhere else..
My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
So far, so good:

Oroville Dam: Evacuees wonder how they'll know it's safe to return | The Sacramento Bee

Quote:
10:20 a.m.: Water is flowing out of Lake Oroville's main spillway fast enough to cause lake levels to drop by up to 30 feet before the next storm Wednesday night.

OES spokesman Scott McLean said the lake level is continuing to inch downtown “four inches an hour, about eight feet a day.”

Officials hope that will be enough. Lake Oroville can fill fast during a big storm. During storms from Monday of last week through Friday, lake levels increased by 50 feet.

The main factor in how fast the lake drains continues to be the condition of the main spillway. Officials said Monday morning that the main spillway had not further deteriorated despite huge outflows cascading over it Sunday afternoon and evening.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Oroville Dam: Feds and state officials ignored warnings 12 years ago

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
FB response from a right-wing cousin of mine: "See, there IS water in California. The drought was FAKE NEWS!"
Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Bing View Post
FB response from a right-wing cousin of mine: "See, there IS water in California. The drought was FAKE NEWS!"

Do tell her that Central Valley people are all telling me IN PERSON that this is a freaky freaky bizarro wet rainy year.

It's my fault, I brought it with me from Oregon just like when I moved from Texas to Oregon then Oregon had a super hot summer because I'm weather magic like that
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Archer View Post
Do tell her that Central Valley people are all telling me IN PERSON that this is a freaky freaky bizarro wet rainy year.

It's my fault, I brought it with me from Oregon just like when I moved from Texas to Oregon then Oregon had a super hot summer because I'm weather magic like that
Weatherwise, you have missed a rather atrocious winter in Portland.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Quote:

He. And he is so proud that his dad served in the Navy during peacetime (late 50s). He lives vicariously through his dad's service (My uncle Pete), and I've been close to blocking him on several occasions, because he has his middle-school kids pose with AR-15s and military style .308s for FB pics. Nothing like using your kids and your Alzheimer's ridden father (who is a life-long liberal) to make a political point! So far, I've just unfollowed him, but he is pushing it.
Briar Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Quote:

Thank you, Brenda! I am so loving seeing all the Coast Range hills green as can be for the first time in several years.
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Like This:
Old 02-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Bing View Post
What a maroon. It may very well be the wettest January EVER in several places and already February is continuing the trend, albeit at a slightly less aggressive pace. I'll see if I can drop an image of NOAA's precipitation totals but if I biff it (been a while since I've done that) I'll add the link to their site, which always has data through 4:00 PM (16:00) of the previous day.

The numbers for the same period in 2016 are slightly misleading, it was actually looking very promising but it all stopped much too soon and it never extended to Southern California at all. This year it has. :-) If you look at the numbers you'll see more than a few places that have already exceeded or damn near equaled their YEARLY average (the measuring year ends in October) and it's only the second week of February. There is still a whole month and a half to go, not counting any bonus stuff in April or even May.

If that image doesn't fly you can to to the source: http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/awipsProducts/RNOWRKCLI.php
Old 02-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Levenque View Post
Thank you, Brenda! I am so loving seeing all the Coast Range hills green as can be for the first time in several years.

You're welcome
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Like This:
Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
the numbers I've seen are 30% less deficit thanks to the unusual snow/rain fall this season. although'd be better off if it was ALL snow, because that replenishes aquifers, and end up as wasted as direct overflow... can only capture so much before it runs out to sea
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post
...and turn your richest state into a desert. Thanks."
Too late.

We're having an unusually wet winter, but I strongly suspect the drought will rear its ugly head again over the next several years. And the ground aquifers are still seriously depleted.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Apparently the evacuation order has been lifted by the dam authority, as the primary spillway has held up enough to reduce the reservoir level by some ten feet. But local law enforcement is warning returning evacuees not to get comfortable, because storms are expected again later this week and particularly bad ones can put another 30 feet in the reservoir before you know it.

But whether or not, Californians now have a several-hundred-million-dollar dam repair project to pay for. The primary spillway must be repaired and the emergency spillway probably must be completely reconstructed and laid with concrete the way it should've been done originally.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
the numbers I've seen are 30% less deficit thanks to the unusual snow/rain fall this season. although'd be better off if it was ALL snow, because that replenishes aquifers, and end up as wasted as direct overflow... can only capture so much before it runs out to sea
Yep, more snow and extended cold season would be ideal; the big Valley normally worries about flooding much later in the Spring, like May and early June when the snowpack higher up is melting fast. The reservoirs fed by the mountain rivers (as is Oroville: the Feather) are typically allowed to get quite low in the rainy season to be sure and leave flood control room for the spring thaw.

With the crap we've been going through over the last few years, they've had to forget all that and just grab whatever water they can. I agree with that tactic, frankly. We've been promised rain and been let down so badly so often I don't think we could take the psychological pain if we wasted this chance, even if it means big trouble in the Spring.

We'll make it. We always make it, that's what we do (same as everybody else). Hell, we made it through the near complete destruction of our largest (and only really large) city in the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. Laughed in its face and built one of the prettiest (if astonishingly difficult to drive in) cities in the nation, just to show it who's Boss.

Last edited by Dillon Levenque; 02-14-2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: oops. 1906, not 1908.
3 Users Hugged You:
Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:

And here I thought it was all my fault since, invariably, hot, dry weather has always followed me to each state I have moved to and went away after I moved to another state. It went away because it followed me.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
And here I thought it was all my fault since, invariably, hot, dry weather has always followed me to each state I have moved to and went away after I moved to another state. It went away because it followed me.

Then you could come down here and fix the rain problem
Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Then you could come down here and fix the rain problem
Tempting. But it wouldn't be fair to my rescue kitty.

And frankly, California ain't my kinda place. Oregon is home now and I have no plans to ever leave.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 02-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Tempting. But it wouldn't be fair to my rescue kitty.

And frankly, California ain't my kinda place. Oregon is home now and I have no plans to ever leave.

I hope you and your kitty are doing well. And that summer is coming.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

Fitting that the most recent post to this thread was made on Friday, the 17th. That's when the power went out at my house. A little before 5:00 in the morning. It's still out at 1:00 in the afternoon on Sunday, the 19th (I'm at the office right now). Still no word on when it will be back on, either. There was a ton of damage from the storms. We're getting another round of showers now and there's a severe storm due in tomorrow.

I've had to take different routes both in and out to and from home all three days, as different road closures (mostly fallen trees; a couple of slides) come and go. We do in fact really need a break from the rain and supposedly one's coming starting Wednesday. Here's hoping.

I know that a great many of my fellow Californians are getting slammed by the weather. North, South, and Central; we're all getting it. So a couple of songs to cheer us up a little. The first is one I heard for the first time yesterday; the second is one I first heard sometime back before Christmas and which is still the most beautiful song I've heard since.

I really love that song; it's from a heart that's pure and simple.
There will eventually be a summertime, and the hills will turn brown. :-)
1 User Said Thanks: