Oroville dam in CA has partially failed. 188000 ordered to evacuate. - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Oroville dam in CA has partially failed. 188000 ordered to evacuate.

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Bing View Post
FB response from a right-wing cousin of mine: "See, there IS water in California. The drought was FAKE NEWS!"
I love people like this. I've lived in the SF Bay Area all my life. We literally saw two weeks of rain in over four years.

Then it rained like The Day After Tomorrow for two weeks this year, and everything's flooding.

In California, it's either parched, or it's under water. There's no in between.

Although, this is the most wet weather I've seen in well over 30 years. This rainfall is even more copious than the El Nino in 1982, which was the wettest on record. And guess what? We're going to be slammed all along the Peninsula down to Santa Cruz tonight and tomorrow. Up to five inches of rain.

Thankfully, the east bay won't bear the brunt, but if you're between San Francisco and Santa Cruz, there will be flash floods. And wind gusts of 50mph.

Let me tell you about wind gusts that high. I'm a skinny fuck and went out in the rainstorm at San Leandro Marina last week. The wind was only gusting at 40mph, and I actually had to do the Buster Keaton Leaning Into the Wind thing to even stay on my feet.

Oh, and a tornado touched down in Gilroy, which is about an hour south of me.

Climate change is happening. We do not get weather like this. Not this late in the year. Usually all the wet weather peters out by the beginning of February, then we have a week or so of cold, before March blows in with sunny wind. There is literally no end in sight for the rain right now. Or the wind.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Re: the dam: It's pretty much out of the woods for this upcoming rainstorm.

But the San Joaquin dam is a whole nother bucket of worms. There will likely be evacuations tomorrow.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
So how many conservatives are already saying this morning this disproves that California is in a drought? A few were saying that because of the first dam *sigh*. At least their dear leader has not said that yet.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Their dear leader has been too busy playing golf at Mar-a-Lago, and holding rallies with "friends" to be concerned with actually governing our nation.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #30 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 

It will be expensive.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
I got in my car to go to Starbucks this morning, and heard three emergency broadcast system alerts. One each for Alameda County, Santa Cruz, and Santa Clara County. All flash flood warnings. Shit's kind of watery and serious.
3 Users Agreed:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Happy Hollow isn't really on low ground. It's just that Coyote Creek is no longer a creek. It's a rushing river.

Rising Water Forces Zoo Animals in San Jose to Relocate | NBC Bay Area
Old 02-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Also, my high school alma mater is directly below Anderson Dam. There was a huge crack in this dam in 1985 after a rather large earthquake hit directly under Morgan Hill.

Fun times.

Anderson Reservoir filling over reccommended capacity in Morgan Hill - Story | KTVU
1 User Hugged You:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Of course, the real concern is for highway 17, which is a major thoroughfare between Santa Cruz and San Jose. It's had several landslides, and has had several areas with one way traffic control, but there's currently another slide that's undermining the road as the hillside underneath is sliding away.

TL;DR
It's moist.
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #35 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

A little juicy out there today, yeah
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

SL Join Date: April 2004
Ever get the feeling the planet has finally had enough of human arrogance and is striking back?

Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #37 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Twitter

Twitter is saying last time this spillway was used, in 1997, it caused flooding in Modesto.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #38 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

There's also a failing levee in western Fresno County.

I can't believe we didn't have these problems in the winter of 2010/2011, the last time California got really wet. Still, one thing this winter is proving is that California's flood control and water storage and movement infrastructure is in REALLY bad shape!

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-21-2017, 12:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
Nan

"I feel like SL but BETTER"

My Mood:
Weather isn't the same year after year -- California goes in long cycles like 7 ish years . Problem is we don't dam enough or import enough water for the dry years or maintain the systems we have for the wet -- given a choice of paying a voter benefits or a non voting piece of bridge or dam's repair bill-- forget the repairs.

The California government hired Eric Holder to sue the Feds before they even had an issue directly in front of them --so I doubt Trump will do anything above the minimum.

Why should he?

Really stupid , they should have played to his ego and sucked up the cash . He holds grudges , but still can influence the Federal purse strings.
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-21-2017, 01:57 AM   #40 (permalink)
Moo

SL Join Date: 8/8/2006
Client: Shenanigans
Send a message via Skype™ to Dante Tucker
One of my friends keeps sending me messages about how the dam is about to fail any hour now along side links to streams titled like "live Orville dam stream" which are just replaying week old news clips with some random guy talking over them acting like it's happening now. Thousands of other viewers all believing that too.

I can't convince him otherwise because he "read about it on reddit"
Dante Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:52 AM   #41 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Tucker View Post
I can't convince him otherwise because he "read about it on reddit"
When will people learn reddit has its place discussing video games? The moment it takes on politics or pretty much any other news run away fast!
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #42 (permalink)
bunneh

Location: Maybe the Bay, maybe the UK, maybe somewhere else..
My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Californian dam levels for Jan 1 2016, Jan 1 2017, and Feb 19 2017:

(The red lines on each show the historical average level for that date)

"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #43 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
Californian dam levels for Jan 1 2016, Jan 1 2017, and Feb 19 2017:

(The red lines on each show the historical average level for that date)

SEE!!!!11111eleventyonequestionmarks

That proves there is/was no drought in California! It was a hoax! There is never any water shortage because it's always raining somewhere on the planet! Sad!

Old 02-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #44 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
There is at least now light at the end of the tunnel! It's not electric light yet in my area; it's sunlight. But, the power is coming back on incrementally: one whole town that was dark Friday is close to 100% powered up and several other major outages are repaired. That's VERY good news for me because it means the (literally) hundreds of PG&E and tree care trucks that have showed up to help can spare some time to work our immediate area.

I was leaving my place yesterday afternoon when one of my neighbors on the hill came in on the county road, and I waved him to a stop as he turned in our shared road/driveway, because he'd come in the direction of a complete closure up at the top of the canyon (multiple fallen trees, both lanes blocked—since Saturday). I asked if someone had finally shown up to cut the trees, since they've mostly been working to clear the main road which is a very important connection route and had been repeatedly blocked off an on for days. He said, "Yeah—our neighbors! There's a bunch of local people out there with chainsaws cutting the trees up and dragging them off the road."

The current forecast is for a 'chance' of showers today, followed by NO RAIN Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. A 'chance' of showers again on Saturday and Sunday. I like this forecast.:-)
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #45 (permalink)
DILLIGAFF

Society's Lost Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Levenque View Post
There is at least now light at the end of the tunnel! It's not electric light yet in my area; it's sunlight. But, the power is coming back on incrementally: one whole town that was dark Friday is close to 100% powered up and several other major outages are repaired. That's VERY good news for me because it means the (literally) hundreds of PG&E and tree care trucks that have showed up to help can spare some time to work our immediate area.

I was leaving my place yesterday afternoon when one of my neighbors on the hill came in on the county road, and I waved him to a stop as he turned in our shared road/driveway, because he'd come in the direction of a complete closure up at the top of the canyon (multiple fallen trees, both lanes blocked—since Saturday). I asked if someone had finally shown up to cut the trees, since they've mostly been working to clear the main road which is a very important connection route and had been repeatedly blocked off an on for days. He said, "Yeah—our neighbors! There's a bunch of local people out there with chainsaws cutting the trees up and dragging them off the road."

The current forecast is for a 'chance' of showers today, followed by NO RAIN Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. A 'chance' of showers again on Saturday and Sunday. I like this forecast.:-)
That was one of the nice things about living in a place like Franklin Co. MS. After a bad storm, anyone that didn't live in town and owned a chainsaw would be out cutting trees off the roads and highways before anyone else could get there. Sure, some did it out of selfishness but there were many others who did it because they knew others needed to use the roads and not everyone had a chainsaw, much less be able to use it.

It was the veiled threats I got for not conforming to the local social norms that caused me to leave. To put it quite simply, I wasn't white enough for them.

Well... DUH!

One summer, my ex mother-in-law actually blurted out "YOU'RE TOO DARK!"

Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #46 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
One of my links is for a National Weather Service precipitation chart for some California locales along with a few nearby in Oregon & Nevada. Tracks by total to date (since the official precipitation season started, in October 2016), percent of normal, last year's to date and last year's PON, average to date and PON, and average Yearly (Oct 1-Sep 30).

It lists 51 locations, from Medford, Oregon to Needles, CA. Of those, 50 are at or above their average to date (one is only at 97%). Forty of them (78%) are at or above their YEARLY total. On the 21st of February.

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/awipsProducts/RNOWRKCLI.php
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #47 (permalink)

Southern California still needs a lot more rain. Most of the water in Orange County comes from underground aquifers. The rain this year has replenished 80000 acre feet, so 320000 out of 400000 acre feet are replenished.

Is California’s drought finally over? – The Hornet
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-21-2017, 10:27 PM   #48 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Anderson Reservoir spills over for first time in 11 years as storms slam Bay Area - SFGate

Anderson Dam has spilled over for the first time in eleven years.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #49 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Also, I lived in the neighborhood featured in the news broadcast, sometime in 2001. http://abc7news.com/weather/at-least...-jose/1765560/
Old 02-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #50 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
Also, I lived in the neighborhood featured in the news broadcast, sometime in 2001. At least 200 residents rescued by boat in flood waters in the Rock Springs neighborhood in San Jose | abc7news.com
My parents had a house not far from the 280/101 interchange. I think they were just out of that flood zone area.

San Jose flooding shuts stretch of Highway 101; other road closures in city