Should Dems let Gorsuch sink or swim? - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Should Dems let Gorsuch sink or swim?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #76 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
[...]
Their base wets itself from getting a "true conservative" on the bench.
[...]
this was always a forgone conclusion, it's only a matter of which one

Quote:
The GOP officially turns the Senate into the House and removes any road block for putting far more conservative judges on the bench in the very near future.
again, same issue, an option you can never use is one that doesn't exist which feeds into...

Quote:
Democrats lose the one option they might have had by just trying to stop one conservative white guy from replacing another conservative white guy.
as do republicans in the future, and they get to look bad for it on top of everything, because it reinforces their "trump-like" image which is something failing even among their hardcore supporters

Quote:
Dems get to be cast (falsely) as obstructionists playing the same games the GOP played with Obama.
that remains to be seen. I've no doubt they'll try to spin that, but even their supporters know that it's no more than a token resistance. and if republicans pull the trigger, that narrative will get lost immediately, and if they're foolish enough to pick someone worse (already some republican supporters aren't in favor of gorsuch) they'll again be shooting themselves in the foot.

Quote:
Trump gets a"win" and shows he can "get things done".
that would actually be the most damaging thing that could happen for republicans at this point, they want (and I'd say need) to distance themselves from him. but it wouldn't happen because his pick didn't go through, and the republicans would claim whoever follows are their choice in "defiance" of trump. although I doubt that'll be enough to convince their base.

in fact, the best case scenario for both parties is if some last minute dirt was found on him,, dems could blame the repubs, repubs could blame trump, and trump could blubber like he usually does
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #77 (permalink)
Woke Woman

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Senator Jeff Merkley has had the floor for over 14 hours in a filibuster. He was just joined by Senator Dick Durbin. And I just tweeted my thanks to both. This is a stolen seat and a dishonest plagiarist shouldn't get it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #78 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
I am hearing now the GOP decided to use the nuke option?

Of course they will complain about it when they are in the minority again.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 04-06-2017, 12:01 AM   #79 (permalink)

whatever

The Last Time a Supreme Court Nominee Was Filibustered (Yes, It’s Happened Before) - History in the Headlines
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 04-06-2017, 05:56 AM   #80 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Senate braces for nuclear fallout

Quote:
Part of the Democrats’ sense of resignation is that they played a part in the deterioration of the Senate with the 2013 rules changes. A handful of Democratic senators now admit that triggering the nuclear option four years ago was not a good idea, particularly now that President Donald Trump has been able to get some controversial Cabinet nominees confirmed so easily.

“It’s pretty clear that we bear part of this burden because we had changed the rules,” said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.). “So we’re not without blemish in it.”
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 04-06-2017, 06:22 AM   #81 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Trump team already strategizing for the next Supreme Court vacancy

Quote:
The likeliest candidate is Kennedy, who has sat at the decisive fulcrum of the most important Supreme Court cases for more than a decade. Replacing him with a reliable conservative would tip the court to the right, even if no other seat comes open under Trump — whose team has taken to exploring every imaginable line of communication to keep tabs on the justice and to make him comfortable as he ponders a potential retirement.

One back channel is the fact that Kennedy’s son, Justin, knows Donald Trump, Jr. through New York real estate circles. Another is through Kennedy’s other son, Gregory, and Trump’s Silicon Valley adviser Peter Thiel. They went to Stanford Law School together and served as president of the Federalist Society in back-to-back years, according to school records. More recently, Kennedy’s firm, Disruptive Technology Advisers, has worked with Thiel’s company Palantir Technologies.
If Kennedy is truly willing to step down for Trump to fill his spot, it does not matter if Trump serves one more term, one more year, or one more day....this country will be a conservative state for decades to come..
Old 04-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #82 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:
Trump team already strategizing for the next Supreme Court vacancy

If Kennedy is truly willing to step down for Trump to fill his spot, it does not matter if Trump serves one more term, one more year, or one more day....this country will be a conservative state for decades to come..
Quote:
One back channel is the fact that Kennedy’s son, Justin, knows Donald Trump, Jr. through New York real estate circles. Another is through Kennedy’s other son, Gregory, and Trump’s Silicon Valley adviser Peter Thiel. They went to Stanford Law School together and served as president of the Federalist Society in back-to-back years, according to school records. More recently, Kennedy’s firm, Disruptive Technology Advisers, has worked with Thiel’s company Palantir Technologies
If this happens, and for those reasons, we can stop calling this a democracy based upon merit and just skip right to oligarchy where it's about who you know and how much money you can spend to buy a country.

Got to give it up to Republicans; when they set out to steal everything right out from under our feet, they go big. They gerrymandered the shit out of congressional districts, they backed a chump who stole the presidency via treason, they denied another President his due right to appoint a Supreme Court judge, and now they want to use their connections to take another.

These are not good times to live in if you were brought up and taught democratic ideals because it's difficult to watch it all wash away.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #83 (permalink)

Senate Republicans Deploy ‘Nuclear Option’ to Clear Path for Neil Gorsuch

All 52 republicans voted for it.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #84 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Well, we no longer have a senate in the US, we now have a parliament. This thread is pretty pointless at this point. The question has been answered for us. Might as well shut it down.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-07-2017, 12:14 AM   #85 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

And a whole lot of missiles thrown distracting from that.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #86 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

My Mood:
Great article on the efforts of senators form both parties,without their receptive leaders of course, trying to save the filibuster rule.

Quote:
In the room were centrists like Sens. Chris Coons (D-Del.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine), who spearheaded the effort to recruit enough senators to avoid the collision course their party leaders were on, as well as some lawmakers who had distanced themselves from such talks but were willing to listen, such as Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.)

“Are we just going to sit here and pee on each others’ shoes for the rest of our adult lives?” Coons said of what spurred his bid to try and save the filibuster. “How does this ever get better?”
Old 04-09-2017, 12:54 AM   #87 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
Great article on the efforts of senators form both parties,without their receptive leaders of course, trying to save the filibuster rule.
Link to: Inside the failed secret mission to save the filibuster - POLITICO
Kamilah Hauptmann is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #88 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Unfortunate that they failed. Those sane senators are becoming fewer and fewer it seems.
Amber Guity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #89 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
I've been mulling over this issue of taking a stand against Gorsuch, and I have belatedly come to the conclusion that the Dems who stood firmly against him made the right choice.

There is no "next battle" for another justice which we could win. It was now or later, either way, without any advantage to be gained by putting off the final reckoning. The damage of letting Gorsuch win without any fight at all is that once again Dems would just roll over, and as part of their staunch base I say "fuck that shit."

Resistance isn't always about winning. In dark times such as these, it's about showing integrity and resolve.

And if the tables ever flip, and Democrats regain control of Congress, the GOP will rue the nuclear choice. It won't be revenge, it will just desserts.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:15 AM   #90 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
There is no "next battle" for another justice which we could win. It was now or later, either way, without any advantage to be gained by putting off the final reckoning. The damage of letting Gorsuch win without any fight at all is that once again Dems would just roll over, and as part of their staunch base I say "fuck that shit."
Exactly, a tool you never use does not exist. If it is a foregone conclusion that whenever the Ds fillibuster the Rs will nuke things they might as well use it to draw attention to things. It looked even better that in the final days of his nomination there were charges of plagiarism .... hopefully in their 2018 ads the Ds will not forget that.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #91 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
This article describes perfectly why the American people in general, don't really have much power if they aren't willing to organize and fight tooth and nail for it. The rich rule this country, and unless something changes, they're making sure they always will.

The Conservative Pipeline to the Supreme Court - The New Yorker

Quote:
Leo’s role in the nomination capped a period of extraordinary influence for him and for the Federalist Society. During the Administration of George W. Bush, Leo also played a crucial part in the nominations of John Roberts and Samuel Alito. Now that Gorsuch has been confirmed, Leo is responsible, to a considerable extent, for a third of the Supreme Court.
Quote:
Gorsuch is likely to be only the first of Leo’s Trump Administration appointees: he is preparing for yet more vacancies on the Supreme Court, and also finding candidates for some of the hundred-plus vacancies on the lower courts, deepening his imprint on the judiciary.
Amber Guity is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #92 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Quote:
In the room were centrists like Sens. Chris Coons (D-Del.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine), who spearheaded the effort to recruit enough senators to avoid the collision course their party leaders were on, as well as some lawmakers who had distanced themselves from such talks but were willing to listen, such as Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.)

“Are we just going to sit here and pee on each others’ shoes for the rest of our adult lives?” Coons said of what spurred his bid to try and save the filibuster. “How does this ever get better?”
Note that font of moral courage (/sarcasm) Susan Collins, voted along party lines anyway to destroy the filibuster. And McCain, who was calling people idiots.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-11-2017, 06:29 AM   #93 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Something I was watching yesterday ('The Resistance' or 'Last Week Tonight' maybe?) pointed out a new reality we are living in. Someone can only fill a seat on the supreme court if the president and congress are in the same party.

Prepare for a LOT more 8 seat or less courts in the future.
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #94 (permalink)
A Napoleon in rags

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
Neil Gorsuch's first day on the Supreme Court was a total disaster

Quote:
“Wouldn’t it be a lot easier if we just follow the text of the statute?” Gorsuch asked, while discussing a case on which courts should hear discrimination claims made by federal government employees.
"EASIER"? He was on the bench less than a day and was already showing signs of laziness! It isn't supposed to be EASY. Being a SCOTUS Justice is about making decisions that ALL of the lower courts were unable to agree upon. God-damn this pisses me off. He is unfit for the post he's been appointed to.