SoCal about to get some seriously bad weather - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » SoCal about to get some seriously bad weather

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
SoCal about to get some seriously bad weather

Yes they've gotten a whole lot of rain recently; but they will want to be especially careful tonight:

Quote:
The National Weather Service is warning that the storm that will hit Southern California late Saturday could be the strongest since 2010, with Los Angeles County coastal and valley areas getting from 2 to 4 inches of rain and the foothills up to 6 inches.

The storm is also expected to hit the Sierra Nevada hard. The weather service warned of "crippling snow amounts on top of existing snow cover," warned residents to stock up on food, water and make sure firewood is available, and "essentially prepare for being stranded at home for multiple days." Power outages are likely and mature trees will probably fall. It's possible that residents could endure multiple-day power outages, failures of carports and decks, and avalanches.

The forecast is heightening concerns about mudslides and flooding across the state. Another powerful storm that hit California on Friday caused numerous road closures and mudsides in areas burned by recent fires, including a major incident in Goleta that destroyed cabins, cars and forced rescues.
The storm is expected to enter the region as early as late Saturday night, and peak on Sunday, with thunderstorms possible and continuing into Monday.

The storm is expected to be unusually intense, driven by the jet stream.
Officials warned of dangerous driving conditions in the mountains, possibly affecting the Grapevine grade of the 5 Freeway in Kern County on Sunday night into Monday.

Rainfall could fall at rates of between 1 to 1.5 inches per hour, and forecasters expect to issue a flash flood watch.
Stay safe, peeps.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

Dump the Trump

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Had flash flood warnings yesterday. Streets were a -mess- today, with leaves/branches/debris strewn about. My large outdoor plant got knocked over twice and the patio furniture on my back patio strewn about like I'd never seen before. (My back patio is rather sheltered and faces the inside of the complex, not the open street.)

It's very quiet out there right now though. I should be fine, I'm along the crest of a hill, not downstream from any watershed, nor close enough to any possible erosion spots.

We're unused to "weather" down here. Thunderstorms are like an every other year thing, and usually barely count as such. I used to live in a place with a season of thunderous daily monsoons ... didn't like it but it didn't bug me. Now? I just want to crawl into a fallout shelter until they're over. :/
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Whole lotta rain expected in the SB/Ventura County areas between now and the weekend. They're projecting as much as 10 inches. It's gonna be mudslide city down there.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Yep, SoCal is now experiencing what NorCal has been dealing with for a couple of weeks.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Goodbye PCH
Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Along with Athena, move also your hand

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Yesterday
Ok, I've studied the disaster question for a previous work of mine. Here are few links:

landslides page at ready.gov

floods at ready.gov

disaster center - floods

California page at disastercenter.com

naturesfury.net, the flood page

You can also find useful informations at redcross.org and wikihow.com.
If he who bursts out in anger is not really angry, then his anger is an outburst of nonanger. If he who launches into action is not really acting, then his action is a launching into inaction. He who wishes to be still must calm his energies; he who wishes to be spiritual must compose his mind; he who in his actions wishes to hit the mark must go along with what he cannot help doing. Those things that you cannot help doing - they represent the Way of the sage.
Twisted Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

I believe there are phone apps available that give you a map of activated Red Cross shelters. The app should be free, so it really wouldn't hurt to find it and download it now if you live in southern California, in case that information becomes useful.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
Yep, SoCal is now experiencing what NorCal has been dealing with for a couple of weeks.
Now if only some of that stuff would funnel its way through the middle of the state. The southern half of the San Joaquin Valley has been largely missing out on a lot of the action.

Though I guess I can't complain. We don't have floods or mudslides to deal with... yet.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

The worst drought conditions in California now are around Santa Barbara with Lake Cachuma at 15% of capacity.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 02-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Wow, that's low. Lake Cachuma is Santa Barbara County's primary source of potable water. Hopefully this round of storms can fill the reservoir to a more healthy level, without causing any mudslides around the wildfire burn areas.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

SL Join Date: Sept 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Wow, that's low. Lake Cachuma is Santa Barbara County's primary source of potable water. Hopefully this round of storms can fill the reservoir to a more healthy level, without causing any mudslides around the wildfire burn areas.
Just seeing that name made me smile. I spent a whole lot of time fishing for bluegill (I think they call them bream in the South) in that lake, even caught a few. I'd stay with Grandpa for a week or so in summer and he was a fisherman. Showed me how to tie all the knots, bait the hook, wind and cast. A hell of a lot of grubs went to a watery grave at my hands; I've had to live with that burden on my soul.
Dillon Levenque is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Awww:
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
My brother lives walking distance to Balboa Park and I always worry about the hill behind his house, particularly since they lost all the vegetation growing on it because of the drought.

Stay safe SoCal. I'm going to call my brother and try to convince him to move to Florida again. Our luck is that as soon as I convince him to move here, we'll have a hurricane.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

Dump the Trump

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
My brother lives walking distance to Balboa Park and I always worry about the hill behind his house, particularly since they lost all the vegetation growing on it because of the drought.
I bet a lot of that vegetation is back now, considering the wetter winter we've had. ( I'm about a 15 minute walk from the park myself. . )
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You: