Shooting At Ft. Lauderdale Airport - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Shooting At Ft. Lauderdale Airport

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Shooting At Ft. Lauderdale Airport

This is ongoing:

3 Dead, Multiple Injured in Shooting at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport | NBC 6 South Florida

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
They have the guy in custody, thankfully.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Broward Sheriff is confirming 5 dead, now.

TSA: Unconfirmed active shooter at FLL; Broward Sheriff confirms 5 dead, 8 hurt at earlier shooting – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale
Old 01-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Shooting at airport, TSA no help at all.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Apparently it happened at a part of the airport that the TSA doesn't manage - although aren't TSA screeners unarmed?

From local news

Quote:
Investigators said the gunman flew to Fort Lauderdale from Canada and had a gun in his checked baggage. He claimed his baggage at the airport, went into the bathroom where he apparently loaded the gun and came out shooting.

Florida Senator Bill Nelson said the shooter was identified as 26-year-old Esteban Santiago. Nelson said a TSA administrator and director of the airport told him that the shooter was carrying a military I.D. with that name. ABC News confirmed the suspect's name with law enforcement sources.

A witness tells ABC News that a man with a gun shouted "I'm not Jewish, I'm not Jewish" before he started shooting.
Other reports say the guy was dressed in regular clothes (a Star Wars shirt, specifically) and that he just shot through however much ammunition he had on him and then laid down on the ground to wait to be arrested.
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Apparently it happened at a part of the airport that the TSA doesn't manage - although aren't TSA screeners unarmed?
The tsa being useless was my point. If someone wants to mow people down they can do it with a truck or even at the airport in a part the tsa doesn't monitor.
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Apocagypsy

Coeur de Pinottes

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Days before the Fort Lauderdale shooting, the state legislature was considering an open carry bill
Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
The tsa being useless was my point. If someone wants to mow people down they can do it with a truck or even at the airport in a part the tsa doesn't monitor.
Security checkpoints are pinch points that create crowds and are therefore best at providing big groups for people to target.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
AKA: Marita Mumfuzz

*SLU Supporter*

Mostly Lurking

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Don't remember
Business: None , SL is for relaxin no work
Client: Any except Official

I can't bring nail clipers on the plane but I guess it is OK to pack my .45 in my bag.

I think we need to have 2nd graders make our laws ... They have better common sense than our current batch of BIC's (Bozo's in Charge).

I think politicians should be required to dress like race car drivers.

That way we would know who their corporate sponsors are.

There was a time when the stupid were eaten by predators.

Now, they run for public office.
Marita is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Someone sneaks on a shoe for a plot and fails. Restrictions.

Someone tries to use a liquid in a water bottle for a plot and fails. Restrictions.

Someone checks a gun for a plot and kills 5 people (plus critically wounds more). Pundits are already saying they do not expect restrictions.

Can someone stop the planet so us sane people can get off?

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Security checkpoints are pinch points that create crowds and are therefore best at providing big groups for people to target.
Yes, they are obvious security theater. Worse that that, they make security worse not just because they create a big target but because after them some people assume everything they see is good because the TSA has already checked it (so do not report stuff they otherwise would).
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's me.

*SLU Supporter*

Just another muppet.

SL Join Date: March 2007
Client: Official browser
Crowded places like airports, shopping centers, theaters, sport events, pop concerts and other public gatherings are never 100% secured. It would be so expensive and time consuming that it would not be workable and at the same time totally frustrating its visitors.

Sadly, we have to accept that these things happen occasionally despite all the security efforts , just as we accept that traffic kills people occasionally as well, despite all rules, regulations and police efforts.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
adorabilis!

plurk this

My Mood:

Special Achievement In Hello Kitty Trolling 
Baggage claim isn't a TSA managed area, it's public. You cannot bring a gun in a carryon, but you can pack it in checked. Just like nail clippers.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
AvaAdore is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-09-2017, 05:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
Crowded places like airports, shopping centers, theaters, sport events, pop concerts and other public gatherings are never 100% secured. It would be so expensive and time consuming that it would not be workable and at the same time totally frustrating its visitors.

Sadly, we have to accept that these things happen occasionally despite all the security efforts , just as we accept that traffic kills people occasionally as well, despite all rules, regulations and police efforts.
See what I mean? A crazy plot fails and we get more regs bestowed on us. A plot ANYONE can understand meets with success and we get 'sucks but what can you do'.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-09-2017, 05:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaAdore View Post
Baggage claim isn't a TSA managed area, it's public. You cannot bring a gun in a carryon, but you can pack it in checked. Just like nail clippers.
It may not be TSA-secured but baggage claim is still an area that is secured. Actually, the #s of them saying weapons the TSA confiscated are made up .... they get inflated by non-weapons (replica grenades, nailclippers) and deflated by them missing 95% of the test objects they should have stopped.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
See what I mean? A crazy plot fails and we get more regs bestowed on us. A plot ANYONE can understand meets with success and we get 'sucks but what can you do'.
They have long known that risk in the public entry and exit areas are a greater threat than those at the gate or in the plane. The airlines have not addressed them because A) fixing them would cost a great deal of money and B) fixing them would negatively impact travelers a lot and C) a combination of A & B.

I go in and out of Fort Lauderdale airport a couple of times a month. The baggage areas are not secured. Anyone can walk into a baggage or for that matter, the ticketing area with no screening. It's this way at most airports (remember the shooting at LAX)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_L...rport_shooting

They could do something like forbid transport of ammunition with the gun. But it's way after the fact and I think that cat is out of the bag now.

Honestly, I think that the best way this tragedy in Fort Lauderdale could have been prevented would have been to not have returned this man's guns in the first place.

Quote:
(CNN)He was incoherent and agitated. Voices in his head told him to join ISIS, according to law enforcement sources.

Authorities were so concerned when Esteban Santiago visited the FBI Anchorage, Alaska, office in November that they confiscated his gun and ordered a mental health evaluation. A month later, Santiago retrieved the weapon from police headquarters.

Last week, Santiago, 26, used that same gun, law enforcement sources said, to kill five people and wound several others at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. Santiago confessed to planning the assault, according to court papers.
How did Fort Lauderdale suspect get gun back? - CNN.com

It's bad enough now with all the retrofitting that airports have had to do to accommodate new security screening (such as the TSA and XRay of checked bags). Airports are maxed out on what they can continue to accommodate without completely alienating the passengers.

What we really need to do is update our infrastructure and in doing so, re-think physical and logical security as well as passenger convenience completely. What we are using is bursting at the seams and we just don't seem to understand that we need to buckle down, pay more taxes and get it fixed or we will become a poor, non-industrialized, non-growth country.
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
It may not be TSA-secured but baggage claim is still an area that is secured. Actually, the #s of them saying weapons the TSA confiscated are made up .... they get inflated by non-weapons (replica grenades, nailclippers) and deflated by them missing 95% of the test objects they should have stopped.
Anyone bringing a replica hand grenade through a TSA security check deserves a full body cavity search.
Rose Karuna is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 01-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think the idea that insecure parts of airports need to be secured is misguided. The point of airport security is that airplanes that can hold hundreds of people are safe. The baggage claim area is no different than a crowded mall. Either one can be shot up by someone with a gun.
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
you also have to remember that they aren't protecting people... they're protecting property, gate terminals and airplanes are expensive, and they have priorities.
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-09-2017, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
What we really need to do is update our infrastructure and in doing so, re-think physical and logical security as well as passenger convenience completely. What we are using is bursting at the seams and we just don't seem to understand that we need to buckle down, pay more taxes and get it fixed or we will become a poor, non-industrialized, non-growth country.
That's certainly the RIGHT way to do it; but I fear that tearing down airport terminals and rebuilding them with security in mind in the end will be a much more expensive endeavor than just putting a couple extra city cops in the non-TSA areas of the airport.