How to Stop a Nuclear Missile - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » How to Stop a Nuclear Missile

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 11:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
Or he can't stand it when someone with real experience on a topic calls him out.

I believe we have burn units for that.

Yeah, I was thinking of needling him with that next week. "Daniel's a real engineer, not the kind who works at a Jiffy Lube."

I have turned into a fucking troll.

#whatwouldinnulado?
Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Yeah, I was thinking of needling him with that next week. "Daniel's a real engineer, not the kind who works at a Jiffy Lube."

I have turned into a fucking troll.

#whatwouldinnulado?
What this have turned stuff?

Think Tweedledee and Tweedledum have graced us with their presence in various threads, because deep down they realise their god emperor is a Manchurian Candidate?
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiri View Post
Think Tweedledee and Tweedledum have graced us with their presence in various threads, because deep down they realise their god emperor is a Manchurian Candidate?
It's kinda weird, because I post in a couple other places too and the local trolls are up way past their normal quitting time flailing around out of control even in topics they've not shown much interest in before.
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-07-2017, 01:00 AM   #29 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
#whatwouldinnulado?
#ingnorethemcoslifeistooshort
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 01-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #30 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
It was more like a few billion dollars a year, and long ago I actually worked on it, when I worked for Boeing. I worked on Kinetic Kill Vehicles and Space Based Lasers.

The proper name was the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI), although in popular media it was nicknamed "Star Wars". The current name is the Missile Defense Agency, part of the Defense Department. The "layered defense" concept is still the core idea of the program, but only parts of the system are functional. One result of the program is we now have actual railguns and combat laser weapons, but they are not yet good enough to shoot down ballistic missiles.
Maybe a side topic but how much of SDI was pure bullshit and how much of it was achievable at the time? I've always viewed it as something of a tech show of possibilities with a heaping of good old American propaganda and based on what I did see in the military, I knew some of it would eventually come to pass.

I'd love to hear your take on it.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #31 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
Maybe a side topic but how much of SDI was pure bullshit and how much of it was achievable at the time? I've always viewed it as something of a tech show of possibilities with a heaping of good old American propaganda and based on what I did see in the military, I knew some of it would eventually come to pass.

Me too.

I remember at the time, a programmer friend of mine commenting that he'd never heard of a computer programme of any complexity, let alone one comprising several million lines of code, that worked as expected the first time you ran it, and by definition you couldn't do much live beta-testing with SDI, since it was supposed to work in extreme conditions with nuclear explosions and huge electro-magnetic pulses going off all over the place.
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #32 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:

I would be interesting to hear it as well. I would place my money on the lasers being pure oo-ah though. The kinetics would probably be better but it would be a stretch with 80s tech .... you would need something like a rail gun and a better computer to quickly work out both trajectories involved.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #33 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:

We could no more defend against a mass nuclear attack at the start of the SDI program than we could go to the Moon in 1961, when Kennedy set us on the course to do so. Note that anti-ballistic missile systems have existed since the 1960's, but they are more point defense than covering the whole nation.

What the Manhattan and Apollo programs had demonstrated was the US could achieve great things if they put their minds to it, so the SDI program was a credible threat to the USSR. If it worked, it would render their side of Mutually Assured Destruction no longer assured, by destroying large numbers of their nukes before they hit their targets.

The parts of the program I worked on had very smart people involved, and the technologies should have worked if they had been finished, but they were never carried that far. For example, the kinetic kill vehicles would be an orbiting constellation of small interceptors, such that some were always over the USSR or the path from there to the US. They would orbit in the opposite direction that the missiles would travel, and therefore carry ~30 times the collision energy by sheer velocity as an equivalent mass of TNT. That's why they were called "kinetic", they didn't need explosives to destroy their target, just speed and sufficient accuracy to hit them. So a lot of the work went into miniature guidance systems and thrusters to enable the accuracy.

After the USSR collapsed, and various nuclear treaties negotiated, the urgency went out of the program. It's continued at a lower level right up to the present, with partial systems like THAAD being deployed, and lasers and railguns moving into combat systems.

The threats have also changed. Whatever media bluster and posturing by Russia & China, they depend on trade with Europe and the US, and don't want to blow us up. The more likely threats are smaller countries with crazy leaders, or a few bombs falling into the wrong hands. So the details of what kind of systems are being developed change along with the threat.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 01-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
America has the best missile defence ever. Donald J Trump.

Trump's head is so empty down to the quantum level that it warps reality, and the laws of physics break down in it's vicinity.

Just place Trump in the path of the oncoming missiles and they will instantly transform into whales or bowls of geraniums.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 01-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

There were also the "tomato cans" (kinetic interceptors) which were being developed for our air force. They'd get as close as possible while in the atmosphere and release them there to intercept. I don't know how far that got, but sounds like a reasonable (but desparate) concept.

EDIT: links pentagon-may-discard-asat-system (1986), China's successful test of an ASAT weapon (Time)

It got squashed for various reasons, mostly being "ahead of it's time" and thus not working well, global politics, and because of space debris issues.

(USA only)
You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.

Last edited by Soen Eber; 01-07-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
slurker

busy at war

My Mood:
Client: Cool VL Viewer
Quote:
We could no more defend against a mass nuclear attack at the start of the SDI program than we could go to the Moon in 1961, when Kennedy set us on the course to do so.
The parts of the program I worked on had very smart people involved, and the technologies should have worked if they had been finished, but they were never carried that far. For example, the kinetic kill vehicles would be an orbiting constellation of small interceptors, such that some were always over the USSR or the path from there to the US. They would orbit in the opposite direction that the missiles would travel, and therefore carry ~30 times the collision energy by sheer velocity as an equivalent mass of TNT. That's why they were called "kinetic", they didn't need explosives to destroy their target, just speed and sufficient accuracy to hit them. So a lot of the work went into miniature guidance systems and thrusters to enable the accuracy.
As I see it today, the SDI program was a genius move, a win-win thing. Defeat them by draining their money in an expensive armament race, and get new technologies along. Congratulations and many thanks to everybody involved! God bless America.

Quote:
The threats have also changed. Whatever media bluster and posturing by Russia & China, they depend on trade with Europe and the US, and don't want to blow us up. ...
Not talking about China here, but a nuclear threat by Russia is a fear spread by Russians themselves. In fact, it's a joke.

They (the Kremlin gang) are in an even worse situation today than back in times of SDI. Unlike in the 80's, all their military "secrets" are well known, they have property and keep money in the West, and their children live and study in Western countries. Bluff by spreading fear in media is all they can do.

Leah Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 01-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #37 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soen Eber View Post
There were also the "tomato cans" (kinetic interceptors) which were being developed for our air force. They'd get as close as possible while in the atmosphere and release them there to intercept. I don't know how far that got, but sounds like a reasonable (but desparate) concept.
That's the same concept being developed by the Navy (and most likely the other services) for both bombardment systems and missile defense.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #38 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Just place Trump in the path of the oncoming missiles and they will instantly transform into whales or bowls of geraniums.
So that was an EXTREMELY aptly named ship!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Quote:
it warps reality, and the laws of physics break down in it's vicinity ... instantly transform into whales or bowls of geraniums.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference, Isabeau.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #40 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #41 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Thank you Luc, for introducing me to that channe. He has some fun videos.

Here he develops the concept a bit and tries to build a rail gun:

1 User Agreed:
Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #42 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Quote:
It was petunias - see, Trump wouldn't even get that right...
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 01-08-2017, 06:39 AM   #43 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Mayo View Post
As I see it today, the SDI program was a genius move, a win-win thing. Defeat them by draining their money in an expensive armament race, and get new technologies along.
"Win-Win" ? Once again I recommend Whitley and Strieber's Warday. This time because they show that the alternative to the USSR going broke trying to match SDI was for them to mount an attack before SDI could be put in place to prevent it.

As it happens, the 'coin flip of destiny' came up heads on that, it could so easily have been tails...
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #44 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Arkright View Post
It was petunias - see, Trump wouldn't even get that right...
So the only law T respects is copyright I guess?
Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #45 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
"Win-Win" ? Once again I recommend Whitley and Strieber's Warday. This time because they show that the alternative to the USSR going broke trying to match SDI was for them to mount an attack before SDI could be put in place to prevent it.
Once again, it wasn't missile defense that bankrupted the Soviets. Their economy was already failing. Exorbitant military spending hastened the inevitable, but it wasn't the main reason.
Cindy Claveau is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #46 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
Quote:

As it happens, the 'coin flip of destiny' came up heads on that, it could so easily have been tails...
This was my assumption then.

I operated on the belief that the soviet government would sooner take us all out then admit failure. Fortunately I was wrong, but I wonder if Putin would admit failure in a similar position.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #47 (permalink)
slurker

busy at war

My Mood:
Quote:
"Win-Win" ?
Yes, a brilliant win-win. Sovůk is history now, and America had a push in technologies.

Quote:
Once again I recommend Whitley and Strieber's Warday. This time because they show that the alternative to the USSR going broke trying to match SDI was for them to mount an attack before SDI could be put in place to prevent it.
Nah, better you try to explain in your own words, why they actually did not mount an attack and preferred losing fourteen colonies and the whole Warsaw Pakt instead.

Quote:
LOL. Do you really believe in a coincidence there?

Old 01-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #48 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
and America had a push in technologies.
And look where it got you, Mr Trump...
Old 01-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #49 (permalink)
slurker

busy at war

My Mood:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, a brilliant win-win. Sovůk is history now, and America had a push in technologies.
And look where it got you, Mr Trump...
What has Trump to do in a discussion about SDI? I beg pardon, are you an idiot?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #50 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soen Eber View Post

EDIT: links pentagon-may-discard-asat-system (1986), China's successful test of an ASAT weapon (Time)

It got squashed for various reasons, mostly being "ahead of it's time" and thus not working well, global politics, and because of space debris issues.
The ASAT program was different from ballistic missile defense. It was intended to shoot down satellites in orbit. Ballistic missiles are not in orbit, they follow a suborbital path. That means you have a much shorter time to react. Orbiting satellites you can take years to knock down.

I think everyone has agreed that ASAT systems are a bad idea, because they fill up Earth orbit with debris. That debris is lethal for the same reason as the kinetic kill vehicles were: speed. They will cause damage to anything they hit.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote