New U.S. Military Guidelines for Religious Accommodations and Grooming - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » New U.S. Military Guidelines for Religious Accommodations and Grooming

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Apocagypsy

Coeur de Pinottes

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
New U.S. Military Guidelines for Religious Accommodations and Grooming

Coming Soon to the U.S. Army: Turbans, Beards, Hijabs, and Cornrows - The Atlantic

Quote:
In the final days of the Obama administration, the military has issued new guidelines for religious accommodations and dress.

Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stack overflow error

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
This ought to cause a huge shit-storm and a lot of righteous indignation from "patriots" everywhere.

Disclaimer: Within this context, "patriot" means white, evangelical, Christians who bring up the fact that their grandfather served in the military during <insert name of war of conflict here>, as if military service honors transcend generations and are something that they inherit, despite probably never having served themselves.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 

Canada's cultural invasion. Resistance is futile.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Bing View Post
This ought to cause a huge shit-storm and a lot of righteous indignation from "patriots" everywhere.

Disclaimer: Within this context, "patriot" means white, evangelical, Christians who bring up the fact that their grandfather served in the military during <insert name of war of conflict here>, as if military service honors transcend generations and are something that they inherit, despite probably never having served themselves.
Man, I really hope not considering how many of us let out beard and hair go when we were stuck in some shit city in country.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Man, I really hope not considering how many of us let out beard and hair go when we were stuck in some shit city in country.
I seem to recall that they allowed neat mustaches but not beards, back in the early 1970s (USAF/SAC).
McPhaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-05-2017, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Stack overflow error

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaughan View Post
I seem to recall that they allowed neat mustaches but not beards, back in the early 1970s (USAF/SAC).
Mustaches were allowed when I served in the army during the Reagan years. They were regulated though. Couldn't cover your upper lip or extend beyond the corners of your mouth. Beards were not OK, however, as you said.
Briar Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Mustaches were allowed when I served in the army during the Reagan years. They were regulated though. Couldn't cover your upper lip or extend beyond the corners of your mouth. Beards were not OK, however, as you said.
I asked a serving British army officer about this restriction - he said it was because a gas-mask wouldn't seal properly unless there was just skin behind it.

eta: before someone states the obvious, he was referring to 'riot-control' gasses like CS, not full-out 'war gasses'.
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-05-2017, 05:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
praise kek

Client: neil life
Quote:

quite unlike white guilt for slavery 200 years ago, and the 'white privilege' they enjoy today as a result (of dying by the millions to end slavery).
right? of course. cos left is always right.

muslims in the military sounds like the stupidest idea in the world imo.
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-05-2017, 05:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzif View Post
quite unlike white guilt for slavery 200 years ago, and the 'white privilege' they enjoy today as a result (of dying by the millions to end slavery).
right? of course. cos left is always right.

Muslims have served in the US Militia or Military since the revolutionary war. I imagine just about anything sounds "like the stupidest idea in the world" when you are woefully ignorant of a little military history.
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-05-2017, 05:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Adblocker so no idea what the article says. What about minority religions or do they not count for some bizarre reason? For example, in eclectic paganism/eclectic wicca you can have a religion that consists of 1 person (whether or not they do things in their religion with other eclectics).

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
Muslims have served in the US Militia or Military since the revolutionary war. I imagine just about anything sounds "like the stupidest idea in the world" when you are woefully ignorant of a little military history.
Or, y'know, woefully ignorant. Period.

Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-05-2017, 05:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
As stupid as Christians? After all, they produced people like Timothy McVeigh who blew up a federal building.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Relentlessly bi

DEUS EST HOMO

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007-08-17
Client: Viewer Development
Quote:

The article is not about Muslims, it is about Sikhs, who have a reputation of being pretty much heroic when serving in various world militaries. One of the major parts of their faith is to defend themselves and others from oppressors... Something that is pretty darn good for someone in the military.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
praise kek

Client: neil life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Carling View Post
The article is not about Muslims, it is about Sikhs, who have a reputation of being pretty much heroic when serving in various world militaries. One of the major parts of their faith is to defend themselves and others from oppressors... Something that is pretty darn good for someone in the military.
sikhs? i totally approve.
hindus, buddhists, scientologists, black, yellow, brown, its all ok with me.
but muslims in the military? hell no.
uzif is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:

Randomly, I'll have to read up on the cornrows thing because the Navy allowed cornrows, for women at least, when I was in.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2007
Business: Baby Monkey Shoes
Quote:

oh I dunno - your parents were allowed to breed; that's a lot stupider.
pixieplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Complaining about "white guilt" seems to be an alt-right (AKA neo-nazi) thing.

However, privilege is in fact inherited. Example: Donald Trump.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 01-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
I'm Catman...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/15/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
As stupid as Christians? After all, they produced people like Timothy McVeigh who blew up a federal building.

Christians = Thou shalt not kill

What's wrong with this picture?
The space to shine
is all a blip
and so am I.

- J Mascis
Markubis is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
Christians = Thou shalt not kill

What's wrong with this picture?
I am guessing if you broke down acts of violence by religion most of them would be done by the ones most prevalent in an area with the runners up being the ones most prevalent in the world. For some reason the Rs focus on the ones that are caused by Muslims while completely ignoring the many every day that are caused by Christians.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
adorabilis!

*SLU Supporter*

plurk this

My Mood:

Special Achievement In Hello Kitty Trolling 

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
AvaAdore is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
if you willing to die for a country and take orders from crazy people in Washington.Does it really matter what background you are from?

Muslim and Christianity are the two biggest groups. the chances of the person causing an act of violence falling into one of these categories are much greater but it doesn't mean that it was apart of the influence behind the act.

There are people who are just practicing the religion( Ex: prays alitte but only goes to church on christmas and easter) and there are people go to church all the time who carry the bible with them all the time and can recite a part from memory down to the page number and line ( same with the Koran). This isn't really considered when talking about someones faith unfortunately, it's just assumed you automatically do everything involved with that religion.

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #22 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Arkright View Post
I asked a serving British army officer about this restriction - he said it was because a gas-mask wouldn't seal properly unless there was just skin behind it.

eta: before someone states the obvious, he was referring to 'riot-control' gasses like CS, not full-out 'war gasses'.
The MoD guidelines say
Quote:
Muslim men may wear neatly trimmed beards. Sikh men can wear their beards, and their hair long in the Sikh tradition. They are also required to keep their beards neat. In the case of the latter, those who are fully practicing Sikhs and are required to keep their hair, including facial hair uncut, may keep their uncut beard folded and tied under the chin.

a. Aircrew Muslim personnel may modify their beards as necessary. Sikh Service personnel may wear a patka (small turban) underneath their headgear. However, for some trades wearing a patka (small turban) is not always compatible, Further advice on this matter can be obtained from the Sikh Chaplain to the Armed Forces.

b. Respirator Where a respirator is worn, an effective seal is necessary in order to meet Health and Safety requirements.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ion_belief.pdf

This is echoed on the Army's recruitment website:
Quote:
Muslim soldiers may wear a full beard. Beards may remain uncut and worn in accordance with Islamic tradition as long as operational mission and safety are not risked (eg if a respirator needs to be worn the beard will have to be trimmed accordingly).

[....]

A turban (or patka) may be worn by Sikh soldiers with all orders of dress, subject to safety and operational considerations (for example if a helmet is required on operations). Kanga, Kara, Kacha and Kirpans may be worn, and a beard may be worn and remain uncut, provided that operational effectiveness and health and safety are not at risk.
Diversity - British Army Website

That is, at least as I understand the policy, men in the army are generally allowed to wear beards for religious reasons, on the understanding that they may be required to shave them if necessary.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
That is, at least as I understand the policy, men in the army are generally allowed to wear beards for religious reasons, on the understanding that they may be required to shave them if necessary.
I wonder how they get through the periodic gas-mask refresher exercises ? Maybe they're excused participation.

eta: I asked the officer this question some 25 years ago, things may be different now.
Arkady Arkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Stack overflow error

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
Quote:
By some estimates, Muslims make up less than 1% of the U.S. adult population. By 2050, their numbers will grow -- to 2.1%. Of all the Muslims in America, 63% are exactly the kind Trump wants banned -- immigrants.
Quote:
Scholars estimate about a quarter to a third of the Africans brought to the United States as slaves were Muslims. Most were then forced to convert to Christianity.
Quote:
From September 11, 2001, until the end of 2014, 109 Muslim-Americans plotted against targets in the United States. And terrorism by Muslim-Americans killed 50 in the same time period. Contrast that with the deaths from other mass shootings just last year: 136 -- more than twice as many as all the deaths from 13 years of Muslim-American terrorism.
The truth about Muslims in America - CNN.com

But hey, someone told us we should be afraid, so let's just swallow the pill without a moment of critical thinking.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
Stack overflow error

*SLU Supporter*

Becoming a ghost

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Arkright View Post
I wonder how they get through the periodic gas-mask refresher exercises ? Maybe they're excused participation.

eta: I asked the officer this question some 25 years ago, things may be different now.
When I think about it, I still can taste the CS gas from going into that tin shack in BASIC, being forced to remove the mask and recite my name, rank, and SSN. It felt like I had just inhaled hot sewing needles laced with bits of fiberglass. Then, half-blinded, I stumbled towards the only light I could see, hoping it was the door to the outside (it was), and promptly started foaming at the mouth while 3 foot long strings of mucous hung from my nose. Nasty.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed: