The President-Elect Dump... Trump - Page 29 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » The President-Elect Dump... Trump

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #701 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Twitter

Trump Promised to Resign From His Companies — But There’s No Record He’s Done So

Quote:
At a news conference last week, now-President Donald Trump said he and his daughter, Ivanka, had signed paperwork relinquishing control of all Trump-branded companies. Next to him were stacks of papers in manila envelopes — documents he said transferred “complete and total control” of his businesses to his two sons and another longtime employee.

Sheri Dillon, the Trump attorney who presented the plan, said that Trump “has relinquished leadership and management of the Trump Organization.” Everything would be placed in a family trust by Jan. 20, she said.

That hasn’t happened.

To transfer ownership of his biggest companies, Trump has to file a long list of documents in Florida, Delaware and New York. We asked officials in each of those states whether they have received the paperwork. As of 3:15 p.m. today, the officials said they have not.

Trump and his associates “are not doing what they said they would do,” said Richard Painter, the chief ethics lawyer for President George W. Bush. “And even that was completely inadequate.”
#alternativefacts
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #702 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Look, it makes Donnie sad when you say mean things, so just be nice ok, just tell him how nice his hair looks or how orange he is today, you know, give him a compliment once in a while, all these negative stories are making him sad.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #703 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

America: Way Down, Big Trouble, Dead!

Awards: 1
Most Appropriate  Forum Avatar 
Rather than make a new thread (I'm not going to jinx my single large thread), I changed the title. But it doesn't show up as any different in the forum. Just when you open it. I dunno.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #704 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

So today he threw out the Trans-Pacific trade agreement but it doesn't mean much since it was never enacted. Remember Hillary got into trouble being on the fence about this (she eventually disagreed). Lots of Dems against it. So this will be popular if basically meaningless.

He also had all these CEO's pay homage... I mean visit. Promising to gut regulations and god knows what else to make them stay, as well as threatening tariffs.

As for "renegotiating NAFTA" that is a minefield. States like Texas are doing extremely well under NAFTA, exporting to Mexico. And there are plenty of Mexicans not thrilled with it as it stands, like farmers, so if he thinks they are going to agree to a deal that is worse for them, it has as much chance as them paying for a wall.

These things are going to be a test of loyalty for the repukes given how much they love these deals and hate protectionism. None of this is happening quickly, that is for sure but he gets all sorts of press for "doing something".
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #705 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

Oh I forgot, he also revived the anti-abortion, foreign aid rule from the Reagan era, yay. :/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/w...abortions.html
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #706 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
He also did the order for the Mexico City Policy Although it was interesting, the other three he signed, they explained what it was. The Mexico City Policy, they offered no explanation and I had to look it up and found out it was funding regarding places that either offer material on abortions or offer abortions who would not longer get the funding.

A question was raised how this would affect the funds going to Isreal as they are a very liberal country and allow for abortions. I did a bit of research and what I found said yes, that is over all true (they have certain things they have to do to get one, but they are usually approved especially for certain ages, etc).

I am not educated enough in the Israel/US politics...how would this affect the funding to that country?

Link to the ABC site that shows the signing:

President Trump Signs 3 Executive Orders, Pulls US From TPP - ABC News
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #707 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Zeno View Post
Rather than make a new thread (I'm not going to jinx my single large thread), I changed the title. But it doesn't show up as any different in the forum. Just when you open it. I dunno.
The change you made only affects the title in the first post. AFAIK only Cris can change the thread title.

1 User Agreed:
Old 01-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #708 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Harley View Post
He also did the order for the Mexico City Policy Although it was interesting, the other three he signed, they explained what it was. The Mexico City Policy, they offered no explanation and I had to look it up and found out it was funding regarding places that either offer material on abortions or offer abortions who would not longer get the funding.

A question was raised how this would affect the funds going to Isreal as they are a very liberal country and allow for abortions. I did a bit of research and what I found said yes, that is over all true (they have certain things they have to do to get one, but they are usually approved especially for certain ages, etc).

I am not educated enough in the Israel/US politics...how would this affect the funding to that country?

Link to the ABC site that shows the signing:

President Trump Signs 3 Executive Orders, Pulls US From TPP - ABC News
It won't matter much since this is specifically about any aid for "health providers". We mostly give Israel gobs of money for their military. Poor countries will suffer for this, though.
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #709 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Twitter

Sums up the administration.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #710 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Oh good grief.

Those diktats указы things he keeps signing.... here's one, to be published tomorrow:
Twitter

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...tion-proc-9570

Unpublished text at https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-insp...2017-01798.pdf

That's right. He's declared the first anniversary of his coronation inauguration to be a "National Day of Patriotic Devotion."
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #711 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

Ok, sorry, the anti-abortion gag rule is for foreign NGOs.

Here is a bit more about it.

The Global Gag Rule (GGR) is a U.S. foreign policy that – when enacted – prohibits foreign nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) that receive U.S. family planning funds from advocating for abortion or providing abortion as a method of family planning. It does not prohibit activities around abortion in the cases of rape, incest, and life endangerment. However, it is unclear as to whether or not services are actually provided under the three exceptions.

Under the GGR, foreign NGOs are forced to choose between one of two options:

1. Accept U.S. family planning funds and be prohibited from providing abortion counseling, referrals, or even advocacy efforts and from providing abortions outside of the three exceptions.
2. Refuse U.S. family planning funds and attempt to secure alternative sources of funding in order to
keep health clinics open, continue providing a range of sexual and reproductive health services to clients, and continue advocating for law reforms to reduce unsafe abortion.

The GGR – also known as the “Mexico City Policy” – serves as a barrier to a wide range of health services for women and girls globally.
Two hundred and twenty-five million women who wish to avoid future pregnancies are not using modern methods of family planning to avoid pregnancy.

1 Every year, 74 million unintended
pregnancies occur in developing countries, leading to
an estimated 28 million unplanned births and 36
million abortions.

2 More than 21 million of these
abortions are unsafe, and deaths due to unsafe
abortion make up nearly 13% of all maternal deaths
globally.

3 USAID is a leading donor addressing
women’s contraceptive needs, accounting for nearly
half of all donor assistance in this area.
A 2010 study from the Leitner Center for International
Law and Justice at Fordham Law School found the
GGR negatively impacted Ethiopia’s efforts to
mitigate the high rates of unsafe abortion.

4 The report found that organizations that refused to comply with the GGR lost their USAID funding which resulted in loss of service via clinics, contraceptive supplies, technical support, and equipment. Organizations that did not comply were prohibited from attending NGO meetings funded by USAID, thus inhibiting cross-organizational information sharing about maternal mortality, supply chains, and clinical practices. Providers in clinics who complied with the GGR were unable to give their clients accurate medical information, resulting in women losing trust in their providers.

A 2011 Stanford University study, published in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, examined the effects of the GGR in sub-Saharan Africa after President George W. Bush reinstated it in 2001. The study looked at the association between the GGR and abortion and found that the "Mexico City Policy is associated with increases in abortion rates in sub-Saharan African countries”. Possible causes include reduced access to contraception leading to increased unintended pregnancies and more reliance on abortion to prevent unwanted birth.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #712 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
That's right. He's declared the first anniversary of his coronation inauguration to be a "National Day of Patriotic Devotion."
Not the anniversary - the day of.  1/20/2017 was Inauguration Day.
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 01-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #713 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
Holy smoke.  
Old 01-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #714 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

btw, if you were as shocked as I was at the seemingly giddy enthusiasm for Trumps lunacy at the CIA, don't worry. It was staged just like all his speeches.

Donald Trump's Laugh Track Is Tricking America | The Huffington Post
4 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #715 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Here's another angle of that moment. At 0:19 in the video:

Melania is precisely hidden by Trump's gigantic head in this angle, but watch the faces of his kid and the girl to Trump's left. I dunno what he said, but it was very clearly awful.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #716 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Sources say Trump's CIA visit made relations with intel community worse

Last Updated Jan 23, 2017 5:15 PM EST

U.S. government sources tell CBS News that there is a sense of unease in the intelligence community after President Trump’s visit to CIA headquarters on Saturday.

An official said the visit “made relations with the intelligence community worse” and described the visit as “uncomfortable.”

Authorities are also pushing back against the perception that the CIA workforce was cheering for the president. They say the first three rows in front of the president were largely made up of supporters of Mr. Trump’s campaign.

An official with knowledge of the make-up of the crowd says that there were about 40 people who’d been invited by the Trump, Mike Pence and Rep. Mike Pompeo teams. The Trump team originally expected Rep. Pompeo, R-Kansas, to be sworn in during the event as the next CIA director, but the vote to confirm him was delayed on Friday by Senate Democrats. Also sitting in the first several rows in front of the president was the CIA’s senior leadership, which was not cheering the remarks.

An official with knowledge of the make-up of the crowd says that there were about 40 people who’d been invited by the Trump, Mike Pence and Rep. Mike Pompeo teams. The Trump team originally expected Rep. Pompeo, R-Kansas, to be sworn in during the event as the next CIA director, but the vote to confirm him was delayed on Friday by Senate Democrats. Also sitting in the first several rows in front of the president was the CIA’s senior leadership, which was not cheering the remarks.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Monday denied that there were “Trump or White House folks” in the first rows.

“There were no Trump or White House folks sitting down. They were all CIA (unintelligible). So, not in rows one-through-anything, from what I’m told.” Spicer said at the White House briefing Monday. He did not address whether Pompeo invitees were in the first rows.

A source who is familiar with the planning of the president’s CIA visit saw Spicer’s briefing, however, and firmly denied Spicer’s response was accurate.

Officials acknowledge that Mr. Trump does have his supporters within the CIA workforce, many of whom were interspersed among the rank and file standing off to the president’s right.

There were about 400 members of the workforce who RSVP’d for the event out of thousands who received an invitation in their email late last week. Officials dismiss White House claims that there were people waiting to get into the event.

Intelligence sources say many in the workforce were stunned and at times offended by the president’s tone which seemed to evolve into a version of speeches he’d used on the campaign trail.

The intelligence community sees itself as above politics even though as president-elect, Mr. Trump was critical of it and accused it of politically motivated leaks.

The CIA was Mr. Trump’s first official agency visit for a reason, it was to signal a new beginning. At the outset of the speech, the president expressed his support for the CIA, “There is nobody that feels stronger about the intelligence community and the CIA than Donald Trump.”

But it is what he said later in front of the CIA’s revered Memorial Wall (a monument to CIA officers killed in the line of duty) -- complaints about the media’s coverage of his relationship with the intelligence community and its assessments of the crowd size at his inauguration -- that may be harder to erase from the minds of the intelligence community.
Trump CIA Speech may have made worsened intel community relations - CBS News
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 01-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #717 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

Oh, also, you know how Trump and Baghdad Bob were crowing about "standing ovations" at the CIA? He never told the them to be seated. So they stood through the whole thing.
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #718 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Not the anniversary - the day of.  1/20/2017 was Inauguration Day.
I see. So what (if anything) does that mean? Since it's not going to be officially published till tomorrow (Tuesday 24th), what effect does it have, if they're not going to celebrate it annually?

I mean, if a President designates a date in the future as National Something Day, I can see the point of it -- people have time to organise events to mark it and so on. But simply announcing "I decree that last Thursday was National Green-Teeshirt-Wearing Day" seems a bit pointless.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #719 (permalink)
Persistent Participant

Perpetually Perplexed

My Mood:
We need a "Why am I not surprised?" button.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #720 (permalink)
Hybrid Angel

*SLU Supporter*

Sutats Tide

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15-06
Quote:
btw, if you were as shocked as I was at the seemingly giddy enthusiasm for Trumps lunacy at the CIA, don't worry. It was staged just like all his speeches.

Donald Trump's Laugh Track Is Tricking America | The Huffington Post

This:

"The media needs to take a cue from one of Trump’s own complaints during the campaign: Show us the crowd. Let us see who is clapping, and who is not. Otherwise, we’re all going to start feeling like we’re going crazy, even more so than we already are."

Grady's Flickr
Old 01-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #721 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
I see. So what (if anything) does that mean? Since it's not going to be officially published till tomorrow (Tuesday 24th), what effect does it have, if they're not going to celebrate it annually?

I mean, if a President designates a date in the future as National Something Day, I can see the point of it -- people have time to organise events to mark it and so on. But simply announcing "I decree that last Thursday was National Green-Teeshirt-Wearing Day" seems a bit pointless.
There is no point; it's just a prop for Trump's ongoing LARP that he's the New American King and the whole country worships his feet.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #722 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Ok, sorry, the anti-abortion gag rule is for foreign NGOs.

Here is a bit more about it.

The Global Gag Rule (GGR) is a U.S. foreign policy that – when enacted – prohibits foreign nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) that receive U.S. family planning funds from advocating for abortion or providing abortion as a method of family planning. It does not prohibit activities around abortion in the cases of rape, incest, and life endangerment. However, it is unclear as to whether or not services are actually provided under the three exceptions.

Under the GGR, foreign NGOs are forced to choose between one of two options:

1. Accept U.S. family planning funds and be prohibited from providing abortion counseling, referrals, or even advocacy efforts and from providing abortions outside of the three exceptions.
2. Refuse U.S. family planning funds and attempt to secure alternative sources of funding in order to
keep health clinics open, continue providing a range of sexual and reproductive health services to clients, and continue advocating for law reforms to reduce unsafe abortion.

The GGR – also known as the “Mexico City Policy” – serves as a barrier to a wide range of health services for women and girls globally.
Two hundred and twenty-five million women who wish to avoid future pregnancies are not using modern methods of family planning to avoid pregnancy.

1 Every year, 74 million unintended
pregnancies occur in developing countries, leading to
an estimated 28 million unplanned births and 36
million abortions.

2 More than 21 million of these
abortions are unsafe, and deaths due to unsafe
abortion make up nearly 13% of all maternal deaths
globally.

3 USAID is a leading donor addressing
women’s contraceptive needs, accounting for nearly
half of all donor assistance in this area.
A 2010 study from the Leitner Center for International
Law and Justice at Fordham Law School found the
GGR negatively impacted Ethiopia’s efforts to
mitigate the high rates of unsafe abortion.

4 The report found that organizations that refused to comply with the GGR lost their USAID funding which resulted in loss of service via clinics, contraceptive supplies, technical support, and equipment. Organizations that did not comply were prohibited from attending NGO meetings funded by USAID, thus inhibiting cross-organizational information sharing about maternal mortality, supply chains, and clinical practices. Providers in clinics who complied with the GGR were unable to give their clients accurate medical information, resulting in women losing trust in their providers.

A 2011 Stanford University study, published in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, examined the effects of the GGR in sub-Saharan Africa after President George W. Bush reinstated it in 2001. The study looked at the association between the GGR and abortion and found that the "Mexico City Policy is associated with increases in abortion rates in sub-Saharan African countries”. Possible causes include reduced access to contraception leading to increased unintended pregnancies and more reliance on abortion to prevent unwanted birth.
THIS is a terrible thing to do to the people in underdeveloped countries! My wife works for a non-profit that uses USAID funds to help people mostly in Africa, but also in Asia. What most people don't realize is that these countries cannot afford multiple organizations to distribute help to people who may have to walk for days to receive medical care and free birth control/aids prevention. You might have one small group who provides ALL the health care in an entire region. Expecting them to split off the abortion or counseling into another group is ludicrous! They can't afford to keep what they have going as it is. These people literally have NOTHING!

What this will do is either cause groups to look for funding elsewhere or stop providing any kind of mention of abortion. Either way, the people they serve will lose.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #723 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

2 Users Like This:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #724 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

I’ve reported on Putin – here are my tips for journalists dealing with Trump

Guardian article by Russian journalist Alexey Kovalev. I was particularly interested, in the light of the discussion we had some days ago about the possibility of White House press corps being moved out of the White House to larger premises elsewhere, by both his comments on how having huge press conferences works very much in Putin's favour, by giving him control of the situation, and also by his observation that
Quote:
in order to hold Putin – or Trump – accountable, you don’t need access to the Kremlin or the White House. Quite the opposite – having such access is a liability, because it’s a privilege you can be threatened with losing, or you can succumb to access bias. Investigations into corruption and mismanagement don’t require close relationships with state officials – quite the opposite
Anyway, I thought it was in interesting read.
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #725 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
There is no point; it's just a prop for Trump's ongoing LARP that he's the New American King and the whole country worships his feet.
If he is the King of America, he may be a powerless figurehead like Queen Elizabeth is in the UK.

According to
Robert Reich's post on Saturday
(I looked to see if this was posted before and could not find it)

Quote:
I had breakfast recently with a friend who's a former Republican member of Congress. Here's what he said:
Him: Trump is no Republican. He’s just a big fat ego.
Me: Then why didn’t you speak out against him during the campaign?
Him: You kidding? I was surrounded by Trump voters. I’d have been shot.
Me: So what now? What are your former Republican colleagues going to do?
Him (smirking): They’ll play along for a while.
Me: A while?
Him: They’ll get as much as they want – tax cuts galore, deregulation, military buildup, slash all those poverty programs, and then get to work on Social Security and Medicare – and blame him. And he’s such a fool he’ll want to take credit for everything.
Me: And then what?
Him (laughing): They like Pence.
Me: What do you mean?
Him: Pence is their guy. They all think Trump is out of his mind.
Me: So what?
Him: So the moment Trump does something really dumb – steps over the line – violates the law in a big stupid clumsy way … and you know he will ...
Me: They impeach him?
Him: You bet. They pull the trigger.
So basically, Trump has become a scapegoat that the GOP plans to use then dump as soon as it is politically expedient to do so. They will pass whatever government destroying, poverty creating crap they can get away with, and force Trump to sign it.

Then when things go to "hell in a handbasket" due to this regressive neo-lib pro rich austerity program they will impeach and convict him, and blame all the problems caused by the legislation on him.

Then a REAL Republican Mike Pence will take over to "save the day".