Glenn Beck: A Changed Man? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Glenn Beck: A Changed Man?

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 01:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Glenn Beck: A Changed Man?

I am going to just drop this here and hope you might find some time to listen to it. Sadly, I can't find any in-depth transcript but I thought it was a pretty interesting interview. I stumbled on it by accident today listening to NPR and was taken aback by Beck's comments:

1. He is very apologetic about some of his past comments.
2. He supports the reasons behind the Black Lives Matter movment, if not perhaps endorsing the group itself.
3. The only people he attacks more than Trump is the far alt/right, by name, and argues that conservatives can't continue to be controlled by Brieghtbart News and Drudge.
4. He remains very conservative but argues their has to be a way to work together to solve issues.

Is he sincere? I don't know. I know that one of the things that always bothered me about some of his previous comments is he seemed likea person who was actually believing what he said. By default, i tend to think he is trying to be sincere now, though i think he is questioning himself a lot.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 11-07-2016, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

America: Way Down, Big Trouble, Dead!

Awards: 1
Most Appropriate  Forum Avatar 
This is like a test to see if you belong in "the good place" after death, giving Beck a second chance. I mean the man was among the very worst, although he definitely seemed to be having a genuine mental breakdown in recent years. I dunno if I can do it. I will just say I don't care either way and it's not important, instead.
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Zeno View Post
This is like a test to see if you belong in "the good place" after death, giving Beck a second chance.
Though they are VERY differant men, I was reminded of Obama's slow change of heart over gay marraige. Again, much skpeticim is waranted. But when a pardon repeateldy say, I was wrong and i have changed mine, and I refuse to let it go. Then havent I become the problem?
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
A true show of sincerity from Beck would be for him to completely remove himself from a public, media-driven life. For ever. With the evil he's spilled out over the airwaves for 30 years, I'd accept nothing less.
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-07-2016, 03:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
I'd be very careful about giving Beau Perkins Glenn Beck another chance without him actually proving that he has changed

Words are cheap, "I'm sorry" means nothing if he doesn't change his ways and as far as I can tell, he's still in the entertainment business. If he truly understood that he doesn't possess the sense of judgement necessary for this line of work, then he'd just retire, as Free suggested. Instead, he's just begging for forgiveness, the routine remains the same.

I suppose this act has more to do with the fact that his media empire is crashing and burning down. His fans are wandering off into the Trump camp and he's looking for a new source of attention to feed his narcissism.

I'm sure Bronx will have to say a few words about that as well.
ďWhen life gives you lemons, donít make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I donít want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see lifeís manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? Iím the man whoís gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! Iím gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!Ē -- C. Johnson

Last edited by detrius; 11-07-2016 at 05:39 AM.
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 11-07-2016, 04:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

SL Join Date: 11/21/05
Client: Firestorm usually

I say, cool. Let him keep going along this "changed man" path. We'll let him know when he gets there.
SalStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
If he's had a genuine change of heart then, because he has done actual harm to people, it's upon him to demonstrate that with actions not just words, and over a long period of time.

I am a bit skeptical because some of the things he has done come from a dark interior, and that is notoriously difficult for people to change dramatically, especially as they get on in age, as they have had a lifetime of believing/acting in certain ways.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

A Small Field Squirrel

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

I've long suspected that Glen Beck's excesses are largely an act. He behaves like an out and out loon in order to push people's views of what is acceptable further and further right. By behaving as a fringe wackadoo, he makes what would be otherwise fringe ideas look more mainstream and thus the public discourse is dragged towards the right. He ever wrote (read: had ghostwritten for him) an apparently pretty dire novel about this precise phenomena, The Overton Window.

So do I believe he's contrite now? Uhmm, maybe. The thing is, the guy is a practiced manipulator and while at this precise moment in time, I can't say what his endgame is. I also can't shake the feeling that it's not genuine contrition. And even if it is? Well, there's an awful lot he has to make up for and I would barely class this as barest beginnings of a start.
Myf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 11-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
bunneh

Location: Maybe the Bay, maybe the UK, maybe somewhere else..
My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
I suppose such transitions can indeed genuinely happen. The example that comes to mind is the guy behind Balloon Juice, once a popular wingnut blog, until.. sometime in the Shrub years, I think, when he flipped around to being entirely liberal.

Whether this is the case here, I've no idea. It would be nice to think so, but, we already have excellent commentators like Samantha Bee, Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann, and John Oliver, so if he's wanting to gain new eyeballs, so to speak, he's going to have to really shine.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Pffft. I don't think anyone has ever accused Beck of being dumb. He's rebranding to move more mainstream. He sees what a dumpster fire Trump's campaign is, and that he's been out to the right of even that, but mostly he looks at the supporters and thinks, "Holy crap. Those are not book buyers!"

Book sales are the Holy Grail, folks -- it's pajama money.

Speaking engagements are next -- and he's not going to be making many big corporate speeches with his current branding. Yeah, he might work an NRA convention, but mostly he's headed, with his current branding, for the breakout room at the Holiday Inn, not the keynote at the main hall.

Okay, that used up about 10cc worth of cynicism and I have a 55 gallon barrel of it here -- anybody need some?

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 11-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
So he's changed to being a plain asshole, from being a fucking asshole?
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Nevertheless, she persisted.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Beck is a carnival barker and a publicity whore. That will never change.

The fact that he's been a conduit for so many ridiculous conspiracy theories around Obama has made him persona non grata in my mind for years.

That's not changing.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
I remember him doing something a few years ago that I was impressed by and was totally out of character for him, unfortunately I forgot the details. I distinctly remember writing him an email/fb comment/tweet about it at the time so it was not a run-of-the-mill apology or something.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
So he's changed to being a plain asshole, from being a fucking asshole?
It would be entertaining if he did the Full Repentance and Contrition Gambit, then emerged as a raging progressive. Or maybe he goes for The New William F. Buckley.

Jesus, did you ever think you'd see a day where Buckley seemed moderate?

Buckley, you youngsters, William F. He was .....

Oh, frickin' google it.
Casey Pelous is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 11-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
I remember him doing something a few years ago that I was impressed by and was totally out of character for him, unfortunately I forgot the details. I distinctly remember writing him an email/fb comment/tweet about it at the time so it was not a run-of-the-mill apology or something.
He had to undergo a hemorrhoid surgery on his butt and was for a very short time open to the idea of universal healthcare.

Then the drugs wore off and he started thinking with his ass again.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pluviophile

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
If Beck's media ventures after leaving Fox hadn't been a flop I seriously doubt he'd be having an attack of scruples. Sorry Glenn, you don't get to be the lowest form of fear-mongering propagandist, doing every bit as much damage to our democracy as Breitbart and Drudge have done and are currently doing, and then get to be taken seriously when you have your come to Jesus moment, even if it's sincere. I doubt very much it's sincere though. This is about desperately trying to stay relevant.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

meaniehead

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post

I am going to just drop this here and hope you might find some time to listen to it. Sadly, I can't find any in-depth transcript but I thought it was a pretty interesting interview. I stumbled on it by accident today listening to NPR and was taken aback by Beck's comments:

1. He is very apologetic about some of his past comments.
2. He supports the reasons behind the Black Lives Matter movment, if not perhaps endorsing the group itself.
3. The only people he attacks more than Trump is the far alt/right, by name, and argues that conservatives can't continue to be controlled by Brieghtbart News and Drudge.
4. He remains very conservative but argues their has to be a way to work together to solve issues.

Is he sincere? I don't know. I know that one of the things that always bothered me about some of his previous comments is he seemed likea person who was actually believing what he said. By default, i tend to think he is trying to be sincere now, though i think he is questioning himself a lot.
Beck has occasionally had some brief lapses into sane positions, by appearances at least, but don't worry, he won't ruin his rep that easily. He'll probably be in the news for something messed up here in the next month or two.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:

Why is Glenn Beck Sucking Up to the Mainstream Media? - The Daily Beast
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-08-2016, 12:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
I Hate his politics, but I like his music.

Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

Scanned

I didn't witness the history some of you described from years ago in here, but when I read this,
Quote:
Former Beck associates and co-workers told The Daily Beast that this latest version of himself is consistent with a pattern in which he utters a series of hateful things and then apologizes and seeks forgiveness (or in the case of his “Obama is racist” remark, blames a mysterious brain illness that “quite honestly has made me look crazy”).

Or, as Beck suggested in an interview with this writer seven years ago, maybe he shouldn’t be taken all that seriously: “I am a guy who’s part rodeo clown.”

Beck’s current liberal media-friendly posture “is about a pattern of reinvention and cycle of apology and offense,” said a person who has known Beck well over the years.
I can't help but think that this was right on target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post
I'd be very careful about giving Beau Perkins Glenn Beck another chance without him actually proving that he has changed
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-08-2016, 01:34 AM   #21 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:

There's few people living I despise more.

In the mid-2000's I spent a lot of time helping my mother out around her house, and due to that I ended up listening to Beck, a lot, on the radio. At the time he was syndicated out of Florida to about 50 stations nationally. It was during this time what might be called his political period began.

Initially, since I didn't know anything about his DJ and 'morning zoo' days, I found him little more than just another if bearable ego-driven talk radio personality, though in his case there was an obvious Orson Welles wannabe syndrome involved. He even produced a rendition of Welles' War of the Worlds on his show, with him taking the lead speaking part, of course. He's certainly no actor.

It was his involvement with Terry Schiavo's case, the antics and endless disgusting bullshit he piled up in the last year or so of her life that showed me who he really is. Everything I've learned about him since only further assures me of his vile nature.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

My Mood:

Minor thread-resurrection from team "told-you-so":
A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."

The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"

Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature."

Last edited by detrius; 01-24-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
That is Beck. Every time people start giving him the benefit of the doubt he goes and pulls something like this and we remember why we had the first opinion.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
Dead Guy

Expert Witless

My Mood:
Well bless his heart. Billionaire George Soros, who happens to be a Jew, colluding with militant Islamists. What creativity.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Asher Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Hybrid Angel

*SLU Supporter*

Sutats Tide

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bertrand View Post
Well bless his heart. Billionaire George Soros, who happens to be a Jew, colluding with militant Islamists. What creativity.
No one saw that coming!

Grady's Flickr
GradyE is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed: