Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news - Page 73 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news


Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #1801 (permalink)
子猫女王
 
Katheryne Helendale's Avatar
(Loading...)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right... behind... you...
Posts: 7,569
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
https://wapo.st/2Qdvq5k?tid=ss_tw&ut...=.b5879977ec08

At U.S. Open, power of Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka is overshadowed by an umpire’s power play



Well worth reading.
Yet another example of unchecked male ego. Ramos needs to be censured for that. He really has no business refereeing games if he can't keep his ego in check.
__________________
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,
the world will know peace.
-J. Hendrix

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-09-2018, 02:58 AM   #1802 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tigger's Avatar
lesser spotted swivel eyed loon
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Disunited kingdom of wales and little england
Posts: 2,553
My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
There is so much WTF in this article that it makes my head spin. I mean, how do you NOT know you're in the wrong apartment???

Dallas police seek manslaughter warrant against officer who killed neighbor | NBCNews

The bastard, he's broken into my home replaced all the furniture, re-arranged all the rooms, redocrated the walls in different colours and now he's sat there as if he owns the place saying "what are you doing in my apartment?" of course I killed him.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #1803 (permalink)
Just another muppet
 
Sid II's Avatar
Eh.. mi mi mi mi mi?
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: In the south of The Netherlands.
Posts: 1,751
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
Is there no form of intelligence check during the assessment when hiring new cops in the US?

Or is a handwritten note from the local reverent stating "He is a good boy" sufficient to be hired?

Last edited by Sid II; 09-09-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #1804 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist
 
Ramen Jedburgh's Avatar
Heya ^_^
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 6,946
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
Is there no form of intelligence check during the assessment when hiring new cops in the US?

Or is a handwritten note from the local reverent stating "He is a good boy" sufficient to be hired?
Not likely, that might be construded as discrimination or something.
__________________
--
Ramen Jedburgh

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #1805 (permalink)
Lost Bird
 
WolfEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,042
SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
Is there no form of intelligence check during the assessment when hiring new cops in the US?

Or is a handwritten note from the local reverent stating "He is a good boy" sufficient to be hired?
They reject the ones they think are too intelligent. Having a perfect/high score on the written exam is a sure fire way to not become a cop.
__________________
This is the truth.
Mitakuye oyasin.
To all my relations, keep dancing.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 09-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #1806 (permalink)
子猫女王
 
Katheryne Helendale's Avatar
(Loading...)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right... behind... you...
Posts: 7,569
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
Is there no form of intelligence check during the assessment when hiring new cops in the US?

Or is a handwritten note from the local reverent stating "He is a good boy" sufficient to be hired?
Depends on the jurisdiction, I suppose.
Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #1807 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dakota Tebaldi's Avatar
Lurkin' and stuff
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Down by the bay, where the watermelons grow...
Posts: 16,791

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
Yet another example of unchecked male ego. Ramos needs to be censured for that. He really has no business refereeing games if he can't keep his ego in check.
Twitter
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Zeno
Cody, you are unusual.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #1808 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*
 
Kamilah Hauptmann's Avatar
I'm a regular Victor Victoria
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cat Country. Can't stop there.
Posts: 12,058

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Twitter
__________________
Some days you herp a derp, sometimes the derp herps you.
Kamilah Hauptmann is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #1809 (permalink)
Senior Member

*SLU Supporter*
 
Ellie's Avatar
Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a rainbow pootbeam
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ring Of Fire
Posts: 1,882
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2010
About a year ago, The Times published this proven to be wildly inaccurate article written by an award-winning UK journo.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...ncil-3gcp6l8cs
Quote:
A white Christian child was taken from her family and forced to live with a niqab-wearing foster carer in a home where she was allegedly encouraged to learn Arabic.
Although challenged by Tower Hamlets authorities, that article is still online.
https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...rt-ruling-ipso
Quote:
The paper has not issued an apology, and the reporter responsible for the piece, Andrew Norfolk, has not resigned, or even made a statement. Neither has the editor, John Witherow. When I asked why the Times had not apologised or withdrawn the story, the paper responded with the statement “we ran the Ipso adjudication on the front page in April and in more detail on page two.”
Sickening.
__________________
"If we deny racists a platform, they feed off the appearance of censorship, but if we give them a platform, they’ve also won by being respectfully invited into the penumbra of mainstream legitimacy."

Last edited by Ellie; 09-13-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #1810 (permalink)
Special Snowflake
 
Tirellia's Avatar
Pickled
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sanctuary
Posts: 320
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2nd July 2007
Client: Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
About a year ago, The Times published this proven to be wildly inaccurate article written by an award-winning UK journo.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...ncil-3gcp6l8cs
Although challenged by Tower Hamlets authorities, that article is still online.
https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...rt-ruling-ipso

Sickening.
The article in the New Statesman by Nesrine Malik, a Guardian columnist seems to clamour for the resignation of Andrew Norfolk. That's just peculiar, and disturbing. Nasrine Malik can only hope that one day in her insignificant and indifferent journalistic career she can approach the quality and integrity of Andrew Norfolk.

Andrew Norfolk worked for a long time to bring the Rotherham child grooming story into the public domain and then kept working on it, uncovering more and more detail. The scandal has resulted in a long needed shake-up in child protection, more investigations in other cities and a string of successful prosecutions for rape and other offences. But Guardianistas like Malik will never forgive Norfolk for that campaign because the victims were poor white girls and the rapists and other culprits were British Asian men of Muslim and Pakistani origin. They're meant to be victims, not perpetrators according to the Guardian mantra.

I think that the article in question on The Times website should include a link to the IPSO ruling and if appropriate an apology from the editor. That's it.
Tirellia is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Disagreed:
Old 09-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #1811 (permalink)
Senior Member

*SLU Supporter*
 
Jolene Benoir's Avatar
What time is it?
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,467
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann View Post
One name; John McEnroe. He was the King of meltdowns on the tennis court.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #1812 (permalink)
Lost Bird
 
WolfEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,042
SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
One name; John McEnroe. He was the King of meltdowns on the tennis court.
He's actually the one that started the whole meltdown on the court thing.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #1813 (permalink)
Senior Member

*SLU Supporter*
 
Ellie's Avatar
Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a rainbow pootbeam
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ring Of Fire
Posts: 1,882
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirellia View Post
The article in the New Statesman by Nesrine Malik, a Guardian columnist seems to clamour for the resignation of Andrew Norfolk. That's just peculiar, and disturbing. Nasrine Malik can only hope that one day in her insignificant and indifferent journalistic career she can approach the quality and integrity of Andrew Norfolk.

Andrew Norfolk worked for a long time to bring the Rotherham child grooming story into the public domain and then kept working on it, uncovering more and more detail. The scandal has resulted in a long needed shake-up in child protection, more investigations in other cities and a string of successful prosecutions for rape and other offences. But Guardianistas like Malik will never forgive Norfolk for that campaign because the victims were poor white girls and the rapists and other culprits were British Asian men of Muslim and Pakistani origin. They're meant to be victims, not perpetrators according to the Guardian mantra.

I think that the article in question on The Times website should include a link to the IPSO ruling and if appropriate an apology from the editor. That's it.

Why is it peculiar and disturbing when a jurno is called out for lying?
Why shouldn't hate crime fodder be removed?

The facts of this case have been proven.
Tower Hamlets has received threatening calls because of erroneous reporting regarding this case.

Public shit stirring must be held accountable, no matter who does it or who the victims are, regardless of how popular they are or the amount of trophies on their shelves.
Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #1814 (permalink)
Special Snowflake
 
Tirellia's Avatar
Pickled
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sanctuary
Posts: 320
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2nd July 2007
Client: Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
Why is it peculiar and disturbing when a jurno is called out for lying?
Why shouldn't hate crime fodder be removed?

Public shit stirring must be held accountable, no matter who does it or who the victims are, regardless of how popular they are or the amount of trophies on their shelves.
It's disturbing when you see who is clamouring for resignations. Malik's responses to the Rotherham rape gang case has been along the lines of "Oh, they're not really Muslims and they're not really British Pakistanis, they're just men. Men are the problem. Nothing else to see here, move along" and then also "Oh isn't it cruel to deport rapists after they've served their sentences?".

There's a difference between lying and making a mistake. Norfolk didn't lie, if anything he made a mistake.

The article shouldn't be removed, it's part of The Times archive. It should have a link to the IPSO ruling. Maybe it should have a correction attached to it.
Tirellia is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 09-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #1815 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tigger's Avatar
lesser spotted swivel eyed loon
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Disunited kingdom of wales and little england
Posts: 2,553
My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
It should be removed, it would be fair to call it part of the archive if it were in print, after all there is no way to recall and correct physical papers. But this is the internet age where stories are updated and amended and are always there, racists and hate mongers will continue to link to it. Every time someone loads that article the Times has effectively published it again.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #1816 (permalink)
Senior Member

*SLU Supporter*
 
Ellie's Avatar
Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a rainbow pootbeam
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ring Of Fire
Posts: 1,882
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirellia View Post
There's a difference between lying and making a mistake. Norfolk didn't lie, if anything he made a mistake.
https://inforrm.org/2018/09/08/musli...rian-cathcart/
Quote:
"It has taken more than six months, but the final judgment in what the Times portrayed as the Tower Hamlets ‘Muslim fostering’ case has finally been released in summary form [pdf] and it is devastating for the newspaper and its chief investigative reporter, Andrew Norfolk."
Doesn't sound like a mistake to me, the court or Brian Cathcart.

Quote:
"The summary of the final judgement of the court, on the other hand, delivers definitive proof of the Times’s disgraceful conduct. It is not, moreover, a partisan document but was approved by the judge (HHJ Sapnara) and by Tower Hamlets local authority...Norfolk and his editor, John Witherow, should now resign.
More detailed criticism of Norfolk.https://pressganguk.wordpress.com/20...t-one-crusade/

Quote:
-foster care experts warned Norfolk the mother’s version of events was likely to be faulty. One told him bluntly: “You shouldn’t go near this story — it just doesn’t ring true.”

After lengthy reading, I think this creep cynically crafted the front page screamer story worthy of the Daily Fail he wanted to write.
Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #1817 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dakota Tebaldi's Avatar
Lurkin' and stuff
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Down by the bay, where the watermelons grow...
Posts: 16,791

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
https://inforrm.org/2018/09/08/musli...rian-cathcart/

Doesn't sound like a mistake to me, the court or Brian Cathcart.


More detailed criticism of Norfolk.https://pressganguk.wordpress.com/20...t-one-crusade/

After lengthy reading, I think this creep cynically crafted the front page screamer story worthy of the Daily Fail he wanted to write.
Yeah; he had all the reason in the world to believe the story wasn't true and he chose to write it anyway because it appealed to his own prejudice.

Hey, a journalist can write fine stuff - but once they cross that line, you can't give them a break because of good things they've done before. In the US, Brian Williams did great work; but it also turns out he embellished a few major stories for drama, so he lost his credibility and his job.

Dan Rather was one of the "big three", one of like the godfathers of modern broadcast news; but he also made a report exposing supposed documents about George W. Bush's National Guard service in the Vietnam era without having bothered to vet them at all, just because he personally disliked Bush so much that he was wiling to believe something negative about him was probably true - and those documents were quickly shown to be phony, made on modern computer software. His personal opinion got in the way of his judgment and once that happened, that was it, he was toast. That's how it goes.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #1818 (permalink)
Lost Bird
 
WolfEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,042
SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Yeah; he had all the reason in the world to believe the story wasn't true and he chose to write it anyway because it appealed to his own prejudice.

Hey, a journalist can write fine stuff - but once they cross that line, you can't give them a break because of good things they've done before. In the US, Brian Williams did great work; but it also turns out he embellished a few major stories for drama, so he lost his credibility and his job.

Dan Rather was one of the "big three", one of like the godfathers of modern broadcast news; but he also made a report exposing supposed documents about George W. Bush's National Guard service in the Vietnam era without having bothered to vet them at all, just because he personally disliked Bush so much that he was wiling to believe something negative about him was probably true - and those documents were quickly shown to be phony, made on modern computer software. His personal opinion got in the way of his judgment and once that happened, that was it, he was toast. That's how it goes.
Have you ever wondered why they used the term "syndicate news"? I mean... after all... syndicate is a synonym for the Mob Mafia.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #1819 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DanielRavenNest's Avatar
Building Better Worlds since 1979
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In UR Internetz
Posts: 9,071
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Have you ever wondered why they used the term "syndicate news"? I mean... after all... syndicate is a synonym for the Mob Mafia.

These are the Syndics of the Draper's Guild (Rembrandt -1662)





Today the word syndicate means people or businesses that work together. In network TV, it meant the group of locally owned stations who shared the cost of network-provided news and entertainment. In organized crime, it is a group of crime families who divide up a territory. But the idea long predates those uses. The painting above shows the cloth inspectors for the Draper's Guild, who worked together to check the quality of their main raw material.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #1820 (permalink)
Lost Bird
 
WolfEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,042
SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
These are the Syndics of the Draper's Guild (Rembrandt -1662)





Today the word syndicate means people or businesses that work together. In network TV, it meant the group of locally owned stations who shared the cost of network-provided news and entertainment. In organized crime, it is a group of crime families who divide up a territory. But the idea long predates those uses. The painting above shows the cloth inspectors for the Draper's Guild, who worked together to check the quality of their main raw material.
Dude. I was teasing Koda. As in, I was kidding. Maybe I should have left Capone in there?
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 09-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #1821 (permalink)
Just another muppet
 
Sid II's Avatar
Eh.. mi mi mi mi mi?
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: In the south of The Netherlands.
Posts: 1,751
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
It is a beautiful painting though.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #1822 (permalink)
Senior Member

*SLU Supporter*
 
Ellie's Avatar
Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a rainbow pootbeam
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ring Of Fire
Posts: 1,882
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Yeah; he had all the reason in the world to believe the story wasn't true and he chose to write it anyway because it appealed to his own prejudice.

Hey, a journalist can write fine stuff - but once they cross that line, you can't give them a break because of good things they've done before. In the US, Brian Williams did great work; but it also turns out he embellished a few major stories for drama, so he lost his credibility and his job.

Dan Rather was one of the "big three", one of like the godfathers of modern broadcast news; but he also made a report exposing supposed documents about George W. Bush's National Guard service in the Vietnam era without having bothered to vet them at all, just because he personally disliked Bush so much that he was wiling to believe something negative about him was probably true - and those documents were quickly shown to be phony, made on modern computer software. His personal opinion got in the way of his judgment and once that happened, that was it, he was toast. That's how it goes.

It's not just that this jurno made an error in his reporting, but that he refused to apologize or admit any error after the court took the very unusual step of publishing its verdict to emphasize how wrong his version of what happened was. Unlike the other two you mentioned.


Tommy Robinson, the EDL and Britain First jumped on this story to incite hatred.



To dismiss this proven fake news as a mistake normalizes the persecution of and prejudices against all those seen as 'other.'


Reminds me of Rump's claims he didn't do it, wasn't there, never heard of it in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary on any number of issues. Not what we want from the press.
Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:02 AM   #1823 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*
 
Kamilah Hauptmann's Avatar
I'm a regular Victor Victoria
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cat Country. Can't stop there.
Posts: 12,058

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Meanwhile Australia:

Nauru self-harm 'contagion' as 12-year-old refugee tries to set herself alight | Australia news | The Guardian
Kamilah Hauptmann is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #1824 (permalink)
Special Snowflake
 
Tirellia's Avatar
Pickled
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sanctuary
Posts: 320
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2nd July 2007
Client: Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post

Doesn't sound like a mistake to me, the court or Brian Cathcart.

More detailed criticism of Norfolk.

After lengthy reading, I think this creep cynically crafted the front page screamer story worthy of the Daily Fail he wanted to write.
Your links were to two amateur blogs, both run by people who really can't stand Britain's print media and especially anything owned by Rupert Murdoch. Brian Cathcart is one of the founders of Hacked Off, the pro-censorship, anti free speech, celebrity special interest group. The other is run by someone who hates IPSO and wants papers to join Impress, the regulator funded by Max Moseley; another hater of the free press using money inherited from his father, the founder of the British Union of Fascists.

They may well be right to criticise Norfolk and The Times, but let's be clear about their reasons first. Just like Malik, quoted in your first post, they have an axe to grind.

Personally I think Norfolk made a mistake. I don't think there was any malice on his part. Clearly some people disagree.
Tirellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #1825 (permalink)
Nasty Brit
 
Innula Zenovka's Avatar
Grande Cabalista
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18,459
SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirellia View Post
Your links were to two amateur blogs, both run by people who really can't stand Britain's print media and especially anything owned by Rupert Murdoch. Brian Cathcart is one of the founders of Hacked Off, the pro-censorship, anti free speech, celebrity special interest group. The other is run by someone who hates IPSO and wants papers to join Impress, the regulator funded by Max Moseley; another hater of the free press using money inherited from his father, the founder of the British Union of Fascists.

They may well be right to criticise Norfolk and The Times, but let's be clear about their reasons first. Just like Malik, quoted in your first post, they have an axe to grind.

Personally I think Norfolk made a mistake. I don't think there was any malice on his part. Clearly some people disagree.
Just a moment, please. You say

Quote:
They may well be right to criticise Norfolk and The Times, but let's be clear about their reasons first. Just like Malik, quoted in your first post, they have an axe to grind.
That's exactly the same argument supporters of Donald Trump in the USA use to dismiss criticism, whether of Trump or his supporters in the media -- you can't believe anything you read in the Washington Post or the New York Times, or whatever the Mueller inquiry comes up with, because they all "have an axe to grind". It's the same argument that supporters of Jeremy Corbyn use to dismiss his critics -- they're all either "Red Tories" or Zionists or the Tory Press.

Lots of people can't stand the Daily Mail, either, but that's not an automatic defence for its editor if it runs a false or hugely misleading story.

Apart for speculation about people's motives, what's your actual argument here? Some people are saying that the journalist, Andrew Norfolk should be fired and that The Times should have removed the offending article from its online archive.

Either or both of them may be justifiable propositions or they may not be. I don't know enough about how Norfolk behaved while researching the story to comment, other than to say that he does seem to have been pretty reckless in preparing the story, as does The Times in publishing it, without investigating it properly. Certainly, according to HH Judge Sapnara's judgment, the story as it was published was very inaccurate in many material ways, and -- most seriously, some people would say -- its publication led the sudden removal of the child from a foster placement in which she was happy and settled, without her being adequately prepared for the return to her maternal grandmother and without being given the opportunity for her and her foster parents to say goodbye to each other:
Quote:
AND UPON the Court reaffirming the importance of the press reporting in accordance with the established guidance and to do so with skill and proper judgment so as not to undermine the welfare of the child, either through direct identification or jigsaw identification.

No accredited member of the press attended at the final hearing. The court indicated that it had been informed by the Child’s Guardian that when the child was moved from her second foster placement to be placed in the care of the maternal grandmother at the end of August 2017 that, very sadly, this had to be undertaken with police presence and assistance, because of the numbers of press in attendance at the foster carer’s address. The child did not have the opportunity to have a proper goodbye with her carers. It would have been entirely in her best interests to do so. If all that is correct, and the court had no reason to conclude otherwise, the court could not see how such circumstances could be regarded as being in the child’s best interests. As observed by the Child’s Guardian, most unfortunately and through no fault or choice of her own, details of the child’s private life are in the public domain and will continue to exist online well into the future.
https://inforrm.files.wordpress.com/...ruary-2018.pdf

Quite what led an experienced journalist and his editor on a respected national daily to run a wildly inaccurate and misleading story on a topic as sensitive as a child-custody hearing, I don't know and I don't think it's profitable to speculate about it without evidence.

Certainly I think The Times should place very prominent links in its digital archive so that anyone who comes across the original articles is warned they they contain many very significant errors of fact and is directed to the correction (and, I would hope, to the findings of fact in HHJ Sapnara's judgment. I'm not going to comment on whether Andrew Norfolk should be fired or not -- that's between him and the editor of The Times.

Certainly he seems to have behaved pretty recklessly on this occasion, being reckless as to both the truth of what he reported and the consequences of his false reporting.
__________________
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




SEO by vBSEO