Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news - Page 42 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #1026 (permalink)

My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govi View Post
Carbon dioxide (freeze point = -109.3F) snow?
Probably not.
"Wattsupwiththat" is actually a major hub for climate change deniers, and it's quite illuminating to see how enthusiastcally they jumped at the idea of a naturally occuring sink for greenhouse gases, only to retract it shortly afterwards, after someone pointed out a few basic scientific facts to them.
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” -- C. Johnson

Last edited by detrius; 01-01-2018 at 11:42 PM.
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #1027 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I suppose it's comforting to know that if you're a victim of murder by cop you can always count on a go fund me to pay for the funeral.
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #1028 (permalink)

lost in time...

My Mood:
If this isn't f***ed up news, I don't know what is:
http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/01/l...o-youtube.html

I hadn't heard of this Logan Paul guy before this, but I have no use for YouTube "personalities" anyway.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Romana is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said WTF?:
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-06-2018, 04:53 AM   #1029 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Someone in the UK has been killing cats and the occasional fox for the last 2 years basically with impunity, and police have given a description of a potential suspect:

The person or persons responsible seems to case neighborhoods for pet cats and then lures them someplace, perhaps to a vehicle, where they kill and dismember the cat. The killer seems to know where the cats live, because the vast majority of the time they leave the mutilated cat's body, or parts of the cat's body, in the yard or on the doorstep or a windowsill of the home it belongs to, although occasionally the cat is (mistakenly?) left at a neighbor's house. Remains have also been left in locations like children's playgrounds, as if intended to cause shock when found.
There has been an arrest made in the killing of several cats in Northampton, which were being investigated as part of a much wider spree of cat-killing over the last two years centered around Croydon. It's not known for sure whether all the killings were the work of one person; but I guess police are leaning that way and this could be a break in the case.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #1030 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Ouch! Rarely have I read such a such a deft demolition job!

Background: here in the UK, there's some controversy about a journalist called Toby Young having been appointed to a committee advising the government on matters to do with the universities and higher education in general.

The criticism is based on his obnoxious public behaviour throughout his career, and he certainly found it necessary, immediately after his appointment, to delete some 50,000 (yes, 50k) tweets from his twitter feed (examples, for anyone who is interested, here and here but the fact Boris Johnson commented "He will bring independence, rigour and caustic wit. Ideal man for job" probably tells you most of what you need to know about him.

Anyway, Janice Turner, a columnist on The Times (the original one, not the NY version), has written about the controversy. It's well-worth reading, simply as an example of how to do a really wounding take-down of someone the author clearly despises. She begins,
Quote:
Long ago as a magazine editor I commissioned Toby Young, as part of an exposé on cosmetic surgery, to attend a penis-enlargement clinic. Maybe he was furious that the doctor didn’t, as he’d expected, dismiss him with a “Son, you don’t need any help from me!” but Toby was foul, duplicitous and sloppy: the most obnoxious writer I ever employed.
and carries on in a similar vein for several venomous paragraphs. Evernote link because Times £wall
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #1031 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Man arrested, injected with drugs over mistaken identity

Quote:
Wright said he had just gotten home from work at as a customer service representative for Advance Auto Parts the afternoon of June 15 when two officers and a health crisis worker approached him outside his house.

They asked if he was Eugene Wright. He responded that he was and asked if there was a problem.

According to the lawsuit, one of the officers told him that a Eugene Wright had gone to an orthopedic doctor’s office “threatening to hurt himself and other people.” There must be some sort of mix-up, Wright told them, offering to have his colleagues at Advance Auto Parts vouch for him.

The officers refused. One of them frisked him and cuffed his hands behind his back, according to the lawsuit.

On the trip to the hospital, Wright asked over and over again to show his ID or Social Security card to prove he was a different Eugene Wright, his lawsuit says. He also asked to call his daughter or wife, to no avail.

When they reached the Meadville Medical Center, officers took him into the examination room and uncuffed him. He pleaded with a doctor to check his identification. His lawsuit notes that he had been a patient at the hospital earlier in the year, so he had medical records on file that would vindicate him. The doctor refused his request, according to the lawsuit.

According to the lawsuit, the doctor told Wright “that when a person has mental problems and loses his temper, sometimes that person cannot remember doing so” and said “he believed that was the case with Plaintiff Mr. Wright.”

Exasperated, Wright took his wallet out of his pocket and threw it at one of the officers.

The doctor ordered Wright to be injected with intramuscular Haldol, an antipsychotic medication used to treat schizophrenia, and Ativan, a common anti-anxiety drug, according to the lawsuit. For 10 minutes, Wright resisted, then gave in when officers threatened to hold him down if he didn’t consent to the shots, Wright alleged.

The drugs worked fast. “Things were starting to get pretty fuzzy” for Wright, according to the lawsuit. How long he sat in the examination room, dazed and sedated, he’s not sure.

At some point his daughter arrived at the hospital and encountered two officers standing outside the door. There had been a mistake, she told them: Her father had been at work all day. A search of hospital records revealed that, indeed, Wright had not visited an orthopedic doctor’s office that day, according to the lawsuit. But a different Eugene Wright had.

Eventually, one of the police officers admitted they had taken the wrong person into custody, saying police hadn’t verified his address, according to the lawsuit. The officer apologized. So did the doctor, who, according to the lawsuit, only then explained the effects the drugs would have on Wright.

An administrative representative from the hospital also came to say sorry for confining and drugging Wright. To make up for it, the representative gave him a $50 gift card to Montana’s Rib and Chop House, Wright alleged.

Wright wasn’t lucid enough to remember his wife coming to pick him up, nor did he recall leaving the hospital, the lawsuit says.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #1032 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Well, there's something you don't see every day:

Speeding Car Goes Airborne, Plows Into Second Floor of Building | NBC Los Angeles

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #1033 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
SUNDAY DRIVE - a new film by MICHAEL BAY
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-14-2018, 11:19 PM   #1034 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

Quote:
Twitter
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:49 AM   #1035 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a rainbow pootbeam

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2010
https://www.aclu.org/blog/reproducti...administration

Quote:
The Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), the federal agency responsible for unaccompanied immigrant minors, has implemented a blanket policy prohibiting abortion, in all circumstances except if the person’s life is in danger. Last month, the ACLU learned through court papers that the head of ORR, Scott Lloyd, who had a history of anti-abortion activism before being appointed to the position, refused to allow Jane Poe to receive an abortion even though he knew her pregnancy was the result of rape in her home country.
Bolding mine.
Another Rump appointee abusing his office.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #1036 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Too big to fail...

This probably primarily of interest to Brits but it's maybe a good warning about the dangers of relying too much private enterprise to carry out publicly-funded projects.

Brief and vastly oversimplified summary: the construction company Carillion, which has long been a major player in the British government's programme of "public-private partnerships" and is currently involved in several unfinished construction projects (hospitals, rail links, etc) and a huge number of service and maintenance contracts on which publicly-funded institutions up and down the country rely for day-to-day operation (e.g. provision of school and hospital meals in some areas, maintenance contracts on prisons, schools, hospitals, service families housing, etc), has just entered involuntary liquidation.

Since, basically, the country can't function without these services, the government is picking them up, and says it's going to try to find other companies to take them over (in which I assume will be very much a sellers' market).

Meg Hillier, Chair of the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee (always described as an "influential" committee, for some reason, perhaps because its members do make an effort to be genuinely bi-partisan in their scrutiny of how government spends our money) said:
Quote:
Carillion’s collapse raises grave concerns about jobs, the delivery of public services and the way Government conducts its business.

“The Public Accounts Committee has previously warned of the risks when contractors, paid from the public purse, become too big to fail.

“Government now faces a stark choice: bail Carillion out or let public services and projects suffer. Either way, taxpayers will get a raw deal.

“Government has serious questions to answer about its role in allowing taxpayers’ exposure to escalate to this point.”
Anyway, big news here, but maybe also a good general reminder about the dangers of relying on the private sector for everything.

In this case the magic voodoo Free Enterprise crystals that ensure the private sector can provide vital public services better and more cheaply than can the government seem not to have worked.

Rolling coverage here: https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Nevertheless, Brexit still means Brexit, and won't it be nice (for those of us old enough to remember them, of course) to have blue passports again?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #1037 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

More UK news....

UKIP, the right-wing UK Independence Party, seem set to need what will be their 7th leader in the 16 months since Nigel Farage resigned after the Brexit referendum.

The Guardian reports that their current leader,
Quote:
Henry Bolton’s future as Ukip leader is in the balance, with some senior party figures calling on him to resign despite him ending his relationship with an activist found to have sent a series of racist and offensive messages.
As far as I can make out from press reports of this political soap opera, Mr Bolton (aged 56) met Jo Marney (aged 25, and who describes herself as a journalist and model, though there's not a lot of evidence to back up either claim) at a party on December 26. Three days later he informed his wife, who lives in Vienna, where she works, with their two daughters (aged four and 18 months) that their marriage was over, and announced the new relationship to the press.

However, it soon transpired that Ms Marney had sent to a friend a series of highly offensive text messages making very nasty racist remarks about Meghan Markle, and this friend did not allow their friendship to prevent him or her showing the messages to the press.

This prompted a degree of interest in Ms Marney's political views in general, and her Facebook and Twitter feeds did not disappoint people who were looking for evidence that she's the kind of white supremacist of whom the KKK would be proud.

Anyway, Mr Bolton has announced that he's shocked, shocked, I tell you, to discover his new love's views, and that he's ended the relationship and suspended her from the party, but it looks like the UKIP executive want him out, too, since they're desperately looking for someone to lead them who seems no more barmey than Nigel Farage (a low bar, some might say, but it seems not).

Mr Bolton's wife's views on the matter are not known.

Story here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-meghan-merkle

Interesting Op Ed here: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ist-girlfriend

Last edited by Innula Zenovka; 01-15-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #1038 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Escaped girl leads police to house where 13 people where chained to beds by their parents

Quote:
The victims ranged in age from 2 to 29, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said in a statement.

A 17-year-old girl managed to escape from the residence in Perris, California on Sunday and called 911 from a cell phone she found in the house, police said.

The girl claimed her 12 brothers and sisters were being held captive inside the home by her parents, some of them bound with chains and padlocks, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said.

The 17-year-old "appeared to be only 10 years old and slightly emaciated," the Riverside Sheriff's Department said.

Sheriff's deputies responded to the home and found the 12 other victims, who "appeared malnourished and very dirty," authorities said. All of them looked like children, police said, and officers were surprised to learn that seven of them were adults. Several were shackled to their beds "in dark and foul-smelling surroundings," the Sheriff's Department said.

David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, were charged Sunday with torture and child endangerment, the Sheriff's Department said. The couple was taken to the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #1039 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
Mr Bolton's wife's views on the matter are not known.
Oh, I'm sure her views are more known than you might think. Something along the lines of, "well, I'm glad that bastard showed his true colors before going off the rails." Glad to have been thrown clear of that trainwreck.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #1040 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure her views are more known than you might think. Something along the lines of, "well, I'm glad that bastard showed his true colors before going off the rails." Glad to have been thrown clear of that trainwreck.
Ah... now we do know her views:

Quote:
his future as Ukip leader now hangs in the balance while his marriage to Mrs Smurova-Bolton is also over.

Mrs Smurova-Bolton told the Telegraph: “Regarding his political standing all I can say is that his judgement over this woman was inexplicably poor but I will leave it to his party to decide about his political future.”

She added: “Whether I would have him back, there is very little ground for contemplating such a possibility, certainly at the moment. I am still deeply hurt, he has not apologised for what he has done and how he treated us, his family.

“Whilst he did leave this woman, he has done so based on her racist comments which had a direct impact on his political future and not because he realised the terrible mistake he has done towards me and our little ones.

“Instead he speaks of his intent to ‘continue supporting her and her family as all this was devastating for them’. Yet the devastation caused by his actions towards his real family was left unnoticed.”

Mrs Smurova-Bolton, 42, who works in Austria, said she was 'relieved' that the affair had ended - should that be Mr Bolton’s ‘honest intent’ - because “I was extremely worried for my children if in the future they would be spending time with their father in this woman’s presence”. Miss Marney, she added, had made a series of “shocking comments... on a whole range of subjects”, not just linked to Miss Markle’s ethnicity.
The report goes on to add,
Quote:
Mrs Smurova-Bolton was visiting family in Russia during the holiday and on December 30 received a text message saying their marriage was over.
Ukip leader's jilted wife says she won’t take him back after ‘inexplicably poor’ judgment over affair|Telegraph

A text. What a charmer.

ETA Evernote link here

Last edited by Innula Zenovka; 01-15-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:17 AM   #1041 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
This stuff freaks me out because of all the crazy things out in the world, this sort of prison of kids cult craziness feels like one that may legitimately be more common than you would every want to hear.

This and people dead in their homes for a long time and no one notices.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:31 AM   #1042 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

Twitter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 01-16-2018, 03:41 AM   #1043 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
This stuff freaks me out because of all the crazy things out in the world, this sort of prison of kids cult craziness feels like one that may legitimately be more common than you would every want to hear.
It's way true. Even not counting the weird Duggar-esque family situation with like a hundred kids in this one, you see these stories a LOT where some kid is found dead or near-death freaking chained up or caged or locked in some room by an arsehole parent or guardian.

Shoot I think -I- posted like at least three or four stories like that here in the last 6 months or so, or it feels like I did at least. And I wasn't exactly looking for news stories like that, those are just the ones I happened to see. Who knows how often it actually happens.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #1044 (permalink)
Persistent Participant

Perpetually Perplexed

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
It's way true. Even not counting the weird Duggar-esque family situation with like a hundred kids in this one, you see these stories a LOT where some kid is found dead or near-death freaking chained up or caged or locked in some room by an arsehole parent or guardian.

Shoot I think -I- posted like at least three or four stories like that here in the last 6 months or so, or it feels like I did at least. And I wasn't exactly looking for news stories like that, those are just the ones I happened to see. Who knows how often it actually happens.
I know. All children are almost completely vulnerable. I shudder (too mild a word) to contemplate how many are suffering at the hands of adults in the world today.
Kaimi Kyomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #1045 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

When I was in high school in Ohio, there was this case that made national news where this couple, the Gravelles (I don't remember their first names) had 11 special-needs foster kids all under-14 (some they had adopted); a social worker found that all of the kids where being made to sleep in these wood-framed wire cages, with alarmed doors on them, and reported them to police.

During the trial they tried to claim that the cages, and other punishments like not being allowed to go to the bathroom (???) had to be used because the kids had severe behavioral problems and sometimes get violent. The court didn't buy it though and they went to jail for a couple of years. AFAIK, all of the kids have since then managed to grow up without any problems or having to be locked in cages once they were placed with families that actually cared for them. Amazing, isn't it?
2 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Agreed:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #1046 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
Stories like that with the 13 kids makes me so sad because I can't have children [and really, this house needs a bit more work before adoption is an option] and so many people who do, treat them so poorly.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #1047 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:

Well, sure, let's just conflate poison-filled pods that teenagers are eating with delicious delicacies:

Hurts Donut creates doughnut following ‘Tide Pod challenge’ | KFOR.com
Old 01-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #1048 (permalink)
feral ballerina

Hello, I'm the groove operator. Please hold the line.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2004
Business: D3volution

Sure, kids, those Tide "flavor" pods are just as good as the ones from the donut shop.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #1049 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
If anyone, that is not a small child, is stupid enough to eat one even though all the adverts warn you how poisonous they are and all the packaging warns how poisonous they are and you see the news stories that say how poisonous they are, then I'm pretty much out of sympathy.
Tigger is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #1050 (permalink)

Blondie got buzzed on them. That's why she wrote The Tide is High.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
1 User Agreed: