Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news - Page 29 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #701 (permalink)

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
'It still fits': Diamond ring missing since 2004 turns up on garden carrot - Edmonton - CBC News

Isabeau Imako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #702 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
You will always find lost things in the last place you look for them.

*runs*
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #703 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Own up, who married a damn carrot?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #704 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
You let the gays do it, next thing you know people are marrying root vegetables!
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 08-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #705 (permalink)

Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #706 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
Melania = X
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #707 (permalink)
Dancing In The Dark

*SLU Supporter*

America: Way Down, Big Trouble, Dead!

Most Appropriate  Forum Avatar 
wtf, I hate school sports.

Video shows Denver high school cheerleaders held down, forced into splits

Poor girl was screaming, they called the cops on them, GOOD.
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 08-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #708 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Zeno View Post
wtf, I hate school sports.

Video shows Denver high school cheerleaders held down, forced into splits

Poor girl was screaming, they called the cops on them, GOOD.

Dude, what in the ever living fuck?

I mean, seriously, now I want to grab one of those people and get one of those ridiculously huge dildos, the ones that are probably better suited for doorstops than sex, the ones that make even a size queen go "No thanks" and ram it up their asshole at full speed.

"Its designed to fit Coach! You just need to put in more effort"
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #709 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

And predictably, some people in the local community are harassing her family for exposing what was happening.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #710 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Oh don't worry, we only shoot black people!

Quote:
Channel 2 Action News reported that its request for body camera footage of the traffic stop prompted an internal investigation of Lt. Greg Abbott, who has been on the Cobb force for 28 years.

The footage shows the officer speaking through the car window to a female passenger in a vehicle who had been stopped for suspected DUI.

The woman tells Abbott that she is afraid to reach for her cellphone because “I’ve just seen way too many videos of cops ... ”

At that point, Abbott cuts her off.

“But you’re not black. Remember, we only shoot black people,” the police veteran of nearly three decades can be heard saying. “Yeah. We only kill black people, right? All the videos you’ve seen, have you seen the black people get killed?”

On Thursday, attorney Suri Chadha Jimenez, who represented the driver in the DUI case that resulted from the traffic stop, offered clarification of the incident.

Chadha Jimenez said the woman was not the driver of the car but a passenger. He represented the male driver of the car, not the woman, but said he was familiar with the facts of the case.

The driver was arrested for DUI and placed in the officer’s squad car. The woman was waiting for someone to pick her up from the scene. While she waited, the exchange with the officer occurred.

Chadha Jimenez, the attorney, said he thinks the officer was being sarcastic after the woman “gave him some lip.”

“It makes you cringe when you hear it. It’s unacceptable,” Jimenez said.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-31-2017, 07:27 PM   #711 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
It does sound sarcastic to me.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #712 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
A mayoral candidate for the far-right, anti-immigrant NPD party promised to get rid of Arabic numerals if elected, German media reported Friday.

Otfried Best, who is hoping to become mayor of Völklingen, near the French border, was asked by a member of Die Partei, a satirical party, during a debate earlier this week what he thought of Arabic numerals used in the town, Stern magazine reported.

“Mr. Best … I find it alarming that in Völklingen many house numbers are displayed in Arabic numerals. How would you like to take action against this creeping foreigner infiltration?” asked the Die Partei politician.

The audience cheered and laughed, but Stern reported that Best gave a serious answer: “You just wait until I am mayor. I will change that. Then there will be normal numbers.”
Far-right German candidate promises to get rid of Arabic numerals – POLITICO
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said WTF?:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #713 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

If not the universal Arabic numerals, what on earth does he consider "normal"?

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #714 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

I strongly suspect he just doesn't realize that "regular" numerals are Arabic.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #715 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Math is hard!
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #716 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Someone in the UK has been killing cats and the occasional fox for the last 2 years basically with impunity, and police have given a description of a potential suspect:

Quote:
The culprit is behind the death and mutilation of about 250 cats, as well as dozens of foxes and rabbits, since October 2015, according to South Norwood Animal Rescue and Liberty (Snarl).

He was originally known as the “Croydon cat killer”, but as bodies began to turn up in other areas of London and beyond the capital, the charity urged people to drop the label. He then became known as the “M25 cat killer” but attacks have since occurred as far afield as Manchester, Birmingham, Brighton and the Isle of Wight.

The description of the individual believed to be behind all of the attacks has been published on the Snarl website. He is said to be a white man in his 40s with short brown hair, dressed in dark clothing, possibly with acne scarring to his face. It also says he may be wearing a headlamp or carrying a torch.

Snarl’s co-founder Tony Jenkins said the description had been shared with his organisation by Surrey police and was based on witnesses to three recent cat killings in Caterham, Surrey.

“It matches similar descriptions from other areas,” said Jenkins. “We’ve been working on this case since October 2015, going up and down the UK, tracking the bodies he leaves behind. I am very hopeful it’s a major breakthrough.”

Anyone who sees the suspect is advised to call 999 and quote Operation Takahe but not to approach him.

Jenkins said: “He is obviously carrying at least one knife, so if anyone does approach him they’re putting themselves in danger.”
The person or persons responsible seems to case neighborhoods for pet cats and then lures them someplace, perhaps to a vehicle, where they kill and dismember the cat. The killer seems to know where the cats live, because the vast majority of the time they leave the mutilated cat's body, or parts of the cat's body, in the yard or on the doorstep or a windowsill of the home it belongs to, although occasionally the cat is (mistakenly?) left at a neighbor's house. Remains have also been left in locations like children's playgrounds, as if intended to cause shock when found.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:33 AM   #717 (permalink)
pushes vertices

Shinyyyyy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 666
Business: Timetwist by A2NZ
Client: Official Viewer
I really hope they arrest that fucker soon. It's been going on for way too long.
I see your work and think 'she'll go far' which is why theres no need of an aide memoire
xxxxxx
My instagram
Raindrop Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #718 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
I strongly suspect he just doesn't realize that "regular" numerals are Arabic.
They are called that, because Europeans imported them from the Arabic cultures. But actually they originated in India.

Now our alphabet *is* from the Middle East. The first two letters in Hebrew are "Aleph" and "Bet", and have similar names in nearby Semitic languages.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #719 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

State agency sued by murdered boy's mother

Quote:
Adrian Jones's short, tortured life was spent isolated from outsiders, confined in filthy, mice-infested houses where he was "home-schooled" by the parents who ultimately killed him, according to court documents.

But the abuse he suffered at the hands of his father and stepmother was meticulously documented, through dozens of surveillance cameras. As his family moved from place to place across Kansas and Missouri, his stepmother captured photos of the horrors, images stored online and later recovered by authorities.

His was a brief life of great suffering, as described by police and prosecutors. The story has been extensively reported by the Kansas City Star and other local media, including KSHB.

In several instances, Adrian was shown strapped to a table and blindfolded, or standing in neck-deep water in the family's dirty swimming pool overnight. In other photographs, his mouth looks bloody and bruised, his teeth rotting, his hands swollen from being restrained, the Kansas City Star reported. In another picture, Adrian appears to be tied up with a plate of food in front of him, a bar of soap in his mouth.

Alongside one of the images, reportedly captured from a surveillance camera by the stepmother, there appeared two words: the boy.

During his final days in fall 2015, the young boy was trapped in a white-tiled shower stall and left to die, according to affidavits cited by the Associated Press. Prosecutors later said Adrian essentially starved to death. His body was fed to pigs, authorities said. The young boy's remains were found in a livestock pen on the family's property on Nov. 20, 2015.

His father, Michael Jones, told authorities he purchased the swine after keeping the body inside the home for nearly two weeks, the AP reported. A child told investigators he heard Adrian screaming "I'm going to die" through a vent and his stepmother, Heather Jones, telling him to "suck it up."

Michael and Heather Jones both pleaded guilty last year to first-degree murder and were sentenced to life in prison.

Investigators referred to the child abuse case as one of the "worst things" they had ever seen. His disturbing case prompted a state lawmaker to introduce legislation that would penalize adults who fail to report child abuse at home. In the Kansas City area, Adrian became known, hideously, as "the boy who was fed to pigs."

But with his killers behind bars, Adrian's family has been left wondering — could the state have done more to prevent the boy's death?

Records in both Missouri and Kansas reveal a "seemingly endless series of reports and hotline calls" that informed social service and child welfare agencies of the abuse Adrian suffered.

So alleged a wrongful-death lawsuit filed in both states this week by Adrian's biological mother, maternal grandmother, and oldest sister. It contends that child service agencies failed to keep Adrian out of harm's way.

"Despite all the warning signs, the hotline calls, and the evidence of the child's mistreatment, they effectively allowed his father and stepmother to continue to abuse, torture, and ultimately murder the little boy, while they stood idly by, writing it all down," the family's lawyer claimed in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit alleges that the state's intervention was "limited" to instructing Adrian's father and stepmother to sign a piece of paper agreeing to stop abusing the boy — "the legal equivalent of a 'pinky swear.'"

"As it turned out, that signed paper might as well have been A.J.'s death warrant," the family's lawyer, Michaela Shelton, wrote. The lawsuit asks for $25,000 in damages.

Representatives from the Kansas Department for Children and Families declined to comment to the Kansas City Star. But a spokeswoman previously released a statement about the case, saying that the agency followed the family as Michael and Heather Jones "worked constantly to evade our intervention."

"This family moved frequently between Kansas and Missouri, which greatly disrupted continuity of services and evaluation," the spokeswoman said in a statement to KSHB. Officials in both states remained in regular contact, shared information and continued to talk to the family, the spokeswoman said, adding that child welfare workers thoroughly investigated each reported incident of alleged abuse and neglect.

"It is very difficult to assist families who are constantly transient, especially those who move across state lines and thereby deprive the State of any jurisdiction," the statement read.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 09-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #720 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Child protection is a disaster in every way, but there will be no real reform while the extreme Right is in power.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:47 AM   #721 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Burning Man Attendee Dies After Running Into Flames

Quote:
An attendee of Nevada’s Burning Man festival has died after breaking through security and running into a burning effigy Saturday night.

The Associated Press reports that 41-year-old Aaron Joel Mitchell, an American who was living in Switzerland with his wife, received treatment from Black Rock City firefighters before being airlifted to the U.C. Davis hospital burn center in California. He died there from his injuries early Sunday.
The end of Burning Man?
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #722 (permalink)

Getting Back There

My Mood:
Client: Exodus

I was on the road all weekend but in honor of Labor Day...

Quote:
Canada has demanded that the United States eliminate anti-union "right-to-work" laws as part of ongoing NAFTA negotiations, the Canadian Globe and Mail reported.

"One group of negotiators spent all day Sunday working on the labor file," The Globe and Mail noted. "One source familiar with the discussions said Canada wants the United States to pass a federal law stopping state governments from enacting right-to-work legislation; the source said the United States has not agreed to such a request."

In addition, Canadian negotiators are reportedly pressuring both the United States and Mexico "to offer a year of paid family leave, as Canada does."

The reports came just ahead of Labor Day, as thousands of workers throughout the U.S. and across the globe walked out of their jobs and took to the streets demanding a living wage and the right to organize.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...ight-work-laws

Thank you Canada, for remembering.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #723 (permalink)
feral ballerina

Hello, I'm the groove operator. Please hold the line.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2004
Business: D3volution

Wonderful! Canada is trolling Trump's NAFTA negotiators. I'm sure they're decent folk who didn't vote for Trump, so I hope they pass all the frustration on to the Jerk-in-Chief. The best part of such trolling on Canada's part is that they're trolling the US towards civilized behavior and towards a more enlightened labor policy.
Govi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #724 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Sorry. Canadian for go sit on a cactus and spin.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:05 AM   #725 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Kicking the guy in a wheelchair. Classy.

Congress Wants to Change the Americans With Disabilities Act and Undermine the Civil Rights of People With Disabilities | American Civil Liberties Union
Kamilah Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Groaned:
1 User Agreed: