UK EU Referendum - Page 62 - SLUniverse Forums

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

View Poll Results: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?
Remain a member of the EU 65 61.90%
Leave the EU 20 19.05%
Won't vote 2 1.90%
The UK should eat pie 8 7.62%
The EU should eat pie 10 9.52%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #1526 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Note to the 48%: Why Brexit may not mean Brexit | Project Farce UK

This is worth a look (and not only for the Yes Minister clip).
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #1527 (permalink)
Just another muppet

Status? I own a bike! Does that count?

In other news, the new MP is planning a ministry for brexit, (at least that was on the evening news from the NOS here in the Netherlands) so.... it looks like the brexit prosess will be started sooner than wanted by many.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #1528 (permalink)

Theresa May becomes prime minister and appoints Boris Johnson foreign secretary

I didn't see that coming, for sure.

I think I should apply for that Polish Citizenship I'd never considered before.

I guess this is what happens when you start believing your own spin.

Edit to add: /me weeps

Last edited by KT Kingsley; 07-13-2016 at 03:15 PM.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 07-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #1529 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Isn't that like making Trump Secretary of State?

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 07-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #1530 (permalink)
Millitant Atheist

MotoXexual

It's ridiculous shit like this that makes me think I live in the Matrix and reality is starting to break.
Ishina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #1531 (permalink)

My Mood:
well there are certainly different aspects when she decides whom she gives what secretary:

maybe she thinks in terms of foreigen policy Britain will become a nobody in the near future, having to concentrate on british interior problems,: So it doesnt matter much, who formally is foreign secretary..

but my subjectiv personal reaction is is a feeling of contempt May has for the rest of the world to present such a man als Partner for foreign countries...
Luisa Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #1532 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Isn't that like making Trump Secretary of State?
Sort of the same, except Trump makes Johnson look compassionate, humane, erudite, generous, noble, learned… etc., etc.

Also, there's a scale thing.
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #1533 (permalink)
Millitant Atheist

MotoXexual

Teresa May is our Prime Minister then, and Boris Johnson is our foreign secretary.

I'm so glad we've left the tyranny of unelected officials behind now that we're out of the EU.
Ishina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #1534 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: june 2007
Client: Singularity

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Beautiful record of political longevity! The eurosceptic David Davis, former Secretary of State of Europe of the government of John Major ( 1190-1997 ),
tout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #1535 (permalink)

My Mood:

We shall note that Her Majesty holds her bag squeezed against her, when she it is bogged down by the commoner if it was lying about on a sofa.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #1536 (permalink)

May's pose is strangely reminiscent of those cops in the Baton Rouge Black Lives Matter protest photo.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #1537 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kingsley View Post
Sort of the same, except Trump makes Johnson look compassionate, humane, erudite, generous, noble, learned… etc., etc.

Also, there's a scale thing.
Much though I dislike him, I think Johnson made a considerably better fist of being Mayor of London than would Trump have made of a similar job in the USA. Furthermore, Johnson did manage to get elected twice, despite the fact London is generally a pretty solidly Labour city.
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #1538 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

I've been thinking about it, and making Boris Johnson Foreign Secretary is quite a smart move by Theresa May. She's got a very small majority, after all, and a party very badly divided over Europe, so she has to give some of the "big jobs" to Leave campaigners, to placate her particularly Europhobic colleagues.

As Foreign Secretary, Boris certainly has a big job that's going to keep him busy, and out of the country a lot of the time, so he's not got so many opportunities to plot his next bid for the top job. Meanwhile, David Davis is Minister for Brexit, so Johnson's kept well away from the tricky stuff where he could do a lot of immediate damage, and in an international crisis, the PM takes charge anyway.

Davis himself, despite being very much in the Leave camp, is a serious appointment and he's said only a few days ago he's in no great hurry to press the article 50 button. The longer Theresa May delays starting the formal process, the less likely I think it is that we will, in the end, leave, so I'm moderately encouraged.
4 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #1539 (permalink)

I guess Johnson gets the last laugh over Cameron and Gove.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #1540 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Kingsley View Post
I guess Johnson gets the last laugh over Cameron and Gove.
I was rather hoping she'd make Gove Minister for Brexit with Johnson as his deputy (since Gove has considerably more ministerial experience than Johnson) but it's probably best she doesn't have my sense of fun.
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #1541 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Twitter
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #1542 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
In other news, the new MP is planning a ministry for brexit, (at least that was on the evening news from the NOS here in the Netherlands) so.... it looks like the brexit prosess will be started sooner than wanted by many.
That may be the impression that is meant to be given but the reality is that May may be intending to slow the process through Bureaucracy.
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-14-2016, 01:26 AM   #1543 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Everyone keeps saying this but I still see nothing to support the theories that they aren't going to do it or are going to make it drag on for as long as possible.

Although May was on the remain side (supposedly, did she ever say anything publicly in support of it?) she was a supporter of leaving the EU before everyone took sides for the referendum.

My money is on them starting the process before the end of summer.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Agreed:
Old 07-14-2016, 03:12 AM   #1544 (permalink)

My Mood:

I do not believe that you can remain now without losing all your credibility, but soon or later you will have to come back again in the EU, alone or under the US protectorate is not the solution.
Then you lost 40 years of integration and all your advantages.
It is sad not just for you but for all European people.
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-14-2016, 03:44 AM   #1545 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tout View Post
I do not believe that you can remain now without losing all your credibility,
Politicians can survive total loss of credibility. As for Britain, it's been decades now, at least since the Suez Debacle.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:50 AM   #1546 (permalink)

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiri View Post
Politicians can survive total loss of credibility. As for Britain, it's been decades now, at least since the Suez Debacle.

For Suez we were together, and French politicians at this time did not survive.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #1547 (permalink)

My Mood:
Here in Germany the reaction to appoint B.Johnson as foreign secretay is
cynicism, disapproval and "we cant believe"..

and shows a complete different perception of a figure like Boris Johnson and shows that May might have reasons for this decision but to present the rest of Europe and all other foreign countries an internationally accepted partner was not a high priority

just to quote one publication:

"But the Personnel, ... making Boris Johnson foreign secretry, shows that the UK is now really on the verge of saying goodbye to Europe. The appointment is like a sensation, even gaga at first glance......

Johnson may be a reckless horse-dealer, one that would have been paved in the Wild West at least once a month and feathered. But in the conservative party he who is always a little disheveled and acting as on the run he is extremely popular. Many of these cricket gambling wannabe landed gentry, the evening still need to run the dog under dripping trees with thick jackets would have liked to see him on an important level of the United Kingdom. Oh Dear, tonight is again nothing on TV, what really makes Boris?"

but at the end the author tries an explaination, why May did it:

"Now, since the time of pains has started, May has brought those responsible for the pains from the bushes and returned to the front row. No reincarnation as Olive*, but as a whipping boy after all."

*a reference to Johnson's remark, that it would be more likely that he will be reborn as an olive than becoming PremierMinister

Boris Johnson als Außenminister: Der Prügelknabe - Kommentar - SPIEGEL ONLINE

adding a link, which shows that the very bad reputation of Johnson is not limited to Germany
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ainst-the-wall
French foreign minister: Boris Johnson is a liar with his back against the wall

"“If he stays himself there will be a problem between the UK and other countries. People can accept that the UK leaves the EU but they can’t accept gratuitous insults levelled against other countries.”

Last edited by Luisa Resident; 07-14-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Luisa Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #1548 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Boris is clearly making an impression overseas.

French foreign minister: Boris Johnson is a liar with his back against the wall | Politics | The Guardian

Quote:
The Europe 1 radio interviewer told Ayrault: “I’ve got the impression you’re scared of being faced with the fanciful Boris Johnson,” to which the French foreign minister replied: “No, I’ve got no worries at all about Boris Johnson. But you know very well what his style and method are. During the campaign, you know he told a lot of lies to the British people and now it is him who has his back against the wall. He is up against it to defend his country and also so that the relationship with Europe is clear.”
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #1549 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Everyone keeps saying this but I still see nothing to support the theories that they aren't going to do it or are going to make it drag on for as long as possible.

Although May was on the remain side (supposedly, did she ever say anything publicly in support of it?) she was a supporter of leaving the EU before everyone took sides for the referendum.

My money is on them starting the process before the end of summer.
She didn't do a lot but she made one major speech supporting Remain: Theresa May’s speech on Brexit: full text | Conservative Home

I don't know what you mean by "starting the process before the end of summer" -- even David Davis, the new Minister for Brexit, doesn't seem to think article 50 can be triggered until the end of the year.

Personally I think that's a gross underestimate. There's a huge amount of preparatory work to be done before triggering article 50, and because the clock starts running as soon as we do, it's vital the government gets all its ducks in a row before starting. At the moment, no one seems to have much idea what sort of deal we're looking for, let alone what we're likely to achieve.

There's also the question of what, in practical legal terms, the government needs to do -- and when -- to prepare for ceasing to be a member of the EU without leaving huge gaps in the whole legal and administrative framework.

That's going involve a vast amount of parliamentary time, one way or another -- for example, at the moment, we pay a lot of money to the EU who, in turn, pay a lot of it direct to bodies in the UK. All that stops when we leave, obviously, and if HMG want the bodies to continue to receive the funds, then they've got to put that on some statutory basis -- give someone the authority to receive and distribute the monies, and establish some sort of reporting framework.

As Theresa May gets on with her cabinet appointments, you can guarantee that all the ministers, after they've been welcomed into their new jobs by the Permanent Secretaries, will be presented with a series of large files on practical issues caused by Brexit that require urgent consideration, and that list will be added to every day for the foreseeable future.

And all that's aside from the question of what the government can do to trigger article 50 in the first place, using crown prerogative, and what requires the supports a massively pro-Remain Parliament.

Triggering article 50 and starting the clock is not something any reasonable politician is going to undertake lightly, particularly since there's such resistance in the Whitehall, Westminster, business, financial and legal establishments to the whole idea of Brexit in the first place, and they're very good at delaying stuff they don't want to happen.

There's the added complication that France and Germany both have elections next year, so there's a very strong pragmatic argument for not starting article 50 negotiations until that's over and the French and German governments can concentrate on the negotiations rather than the elections.

I think the end of next year is the earliest likely date for article 50 talks to start, if they start at all (which I am not at all sure they ever will).
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #1550 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa Resident View Post
Here in Germany the reaction to appoint B.Johnson as foreign secretay is
cynicism, disapproval and "we cant believe"..

and shows a complete different perception of a figure like Boris Johnson and shows that May might have reasons for this decision but to present the rest of Europe and all other foreign countries an internationally accepted partner was not a high priority

just to quote one publication:

"But the Personnel, ... making Boris Johnson foreign secretry, shows that the UK is now really on the verge of saying goodbye to Europe. The appointment is like a sensation, even gaga at first glance......

Johnson may be a reckless horse-dealer, one that would have been paved in the Wild West at least once a month and feathered. But in the conservative party he who is always a little disheveled and acting as on the run he is extremely popular. Many of these cricket gambling wannabe landed gentry, the evening still need to run the dog under dripping trees with thick jackets would have liked to see him on an important level of the United Kingdom. Oh Dear, tonight is again nothing on TV, what really makes Boris?"

but at the end the author tries an explaination, why May did it:

"Now, since the time of pains has started, May has brought those responsible for the pains from the bushes and returned to the front row. No reincarnation as Olive*, but as a whipping boy after all."

*a reference to Johnson's remark, that it would be more likely that he will be reborn as an olive than becoming PremierMinister

Boris Johnson als Außenminister: Der Prügelknabe - Kommentar - SPIEGEL ONLINE

adding a link, which shows that the very bad reputation of Johnson is not limited to Germany
French foreign minister: Boris Johnson is a liar with his back against the wall | Politics | The Guardian
French foreign minister: Boris Johnson is a liar with his back against the wall

"“If he stays himself there will be a problem between the UK and other countries. People can accept that the UK leaves the EU but they can’t accept gratuitous insults levelled against other countries.”
Johnson won't have anything much to do with the EU, though. That's going to be handled primarily (exclusively?) by David Davies, the Minister responsible for Brexit, Theresa May herself, and Philip Hammond, the former Foreign Secretary and now the Chancellor of the Exchequer.